Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Two friends visit their Alma Mater - Part 2


By Kumar Gunawardene   
                    

 MIDDLE SCHOOL
Bora joined us that year in the Lower Fourth. He arrived from the preparatory school, a cherubic lad with a mischievous streak. He was bold too and did not hesitate to make a stand. When asked to donate a book for the class library, he protested that as a boarder, he was unable to do so. My contribution was the novel Pepiliyane Kumaraya” the prince of Pepiliyana. He promptly named our head master Mr V.P. Cooke Pepiliyane Kumaraya as he resided in that suburb. Our class master Mr D..N. Pereira  was tall, immaculately dressed and his shoes were polished such that one could see one’s face in them. His nickname was Bulto because he munched this sticky black sweet after meals.
Bora was a boarder for most of his days at STC. They considered themselves, with some justification, a superior species; different anyway. Some of our best sportsmen were boarders. Cricket was an exception. Academically the day scholars excelled; interestingly Bora also shone in studies only after becoming a day boy.
VPC had been a good wielder of the willow and was an equally good wielder of the cane. An unforgettable incident was when a gang of us were summoned ,on a complaint by a younger boy.He was  lounging in the chapel gardens when set upon by this clique.He protested that some boys had touched his “private parts,” the first time we had heard that term.VPC knew my father well and was astonished to see me amongst this lot.I said sir I was in the periphery and not had any physical contact ,intimate or otherwise.I was excused ,but a few others received,six of the very best.
Next year in the upper fourth(seventh standard) Bora and I sat in close proximity leading to greater rapport.I was seated ,with two of my best mates in the last row and Bora was just in front of us .Sadly,my two mates are no more,but I think of them wistfully from time to time.JN was gentle,good humoured easy to please and laughed readily.He and I shared a love of books and he made me join the Companion book club of Britain.We had to buy one book monthly ,and browsing these gave me long hours of pleasure.I would curl up in bed with a book and a supply of peppermints and read ,till darkness fell or the supply of peppermints was exhausted.
My other desk mate PN was riotous and  daring but would stick up for his friends always.One day, he stealthily,tied a creeper on the belt of a master.This ,particular creeper had a flower the shape of a small bird.Since our not so esteemed master’s nickname was cock c....y our classmates couldn’t stifle  their ill timed It laughter.Eventually, the cause for the mirth and the culprit was discovered ,and the miscreant was duly rewarded with a resounding slap.
Bora that year got a Royal Thomian match ticket ,to an exclusive enclosure.He would gaze at it lovingly ,and touching it reverentially ,would dream of the the pleasures he would relish at the Wanathamulla Oval.One day,the ticket went missing,but being an astute sleuth ,he soon discovered it in his desk mate’s bag.After retrieval he gave the mate a thundering blow.What followed was excruciatingly funny.The mate removed his glasses,folded them neatly,placed them on his back pack all in slow motion and returned the favour in full measure.Few days later they were the best of friends.
Twice a week we had Latin classes conducted by our Warden.His arrival was preceded by a slowly advancing wave of silence,culminating in a deathly stillness when he stepped into the class.We were in awe of him as of no other,but he was a good teacher ,and I still have some Latin.
Many years later my brother and I and our spouses met him at Ella where he was spending his retirement in the annexe of a cousin.We got to know this genial lady while travelling by train.She was the wife of our late professor of forensic medicine.We were invited to high tea and afterwards had a cordial chat late into the evening.The warden appeared to have shrunk a little ,but was amiable and delighted in our company.It was indeed an honour to sit with this great and good man, who guided our school so wisely through a world war and many other crises
My ebullient uncle Amitha Abeysekare relates of the time he met the Warden long after he had left school.AA had sheepishly asked him “sir can you remember me.”;the startling reply was,Amitha,remember you, I have been trying to  forget you for the past twenty five years.”
The next year the fifth form (eighth standard )  was housed in a classroom which was right at the end of the the building on the ground floor.It was a very tranquil spot adjoining the the chapel garden and beyond a high wall was the ‘KurunduKelle or the cinnamon grove.
The events and the boys were far from tranquil however.The first was the repeated disappearance of the detention book.One of our teachers devised the scheme of Wednesday afternoon detention for minor offences.This outraged us as we all looked forward fervently for this mid week break.Our hero was more infuriated than the rest of us and with meticulous planning removed it from its stronghold.This was a bulky diary which ,the master ,said would last several generations.A new book was substituted ,and it met the same fate.This was repeated many times and eventually the authorities backed off.There was no CCTV then and our hero still remains nameless. but has attained mythological status .
The second was  the recurrent descent of the class cupboard from vertical to the horizontal.Every Friday afternoon ,when all was quiet ,and watched by an enthusiastic coterie of followers ,our hero would slip into the classroom and topple the furniture.On Monday mornings,there was pandemonium as the boys would refuse to jump over, the fallen item and  thus would gain a quarter hour of merriment instead of dreary lessons.
The third was the episode of the‘Infamous Hoot’ Our geography master was a man of generous proportions and was affectionately called Bada P......Being an ,only son living away from home , he was the regular recipient of sweets and other foods from home.One day ,the driver arrived in the middle of a class and Bada P went across to collect his gift.One of our good mates ,let out a piercing yell “Ado Bado” through a grill.  His fury knew no bounds and after chastising us for being ignorant louts with no breeding and of uncertain parentage he picked on Bora to mete out appropriate punishment.Bora pleaded with his mate to own up .The mate who was one of the brightest and the best amongst us and who went onto become a top legal luminary in the land,bided his time.Next day he went up to the master and owned up.As our friend had anticipated the master’s anger had subsided and the apology was accepted .His correct reasoning was that if he had admitted to the offence immediately, he would have been roundly thrashed.
                        UPPER SCHOOL
It was a time of achievement,but also a time of disappointment;a time of joy and a time of despair.A time for consolidation of friendships fine and free.A time for fun and frolics to be cut down and time for concerted study to be boosted.
One of our classmates Geoffrey died from a rapidly fatal illness,in the Lower Sixth.He was only fourteen.To us whom death was a distant concept,this was a heavy blow.We grieved silently with his close knit family.His brother who became a colleague at medical school ,wrote to me”Not a day passes,without my thinking of him.I cannot get over why this happened so early in life to a near perfect human being.”
The Upper Sixth (SSC) life and times were dominated by one man LGBF.He was our class master and also the maths teacher.His ambition was to produce the best results in the country,and he did succeed.In our year ,we had eighteen distinctions in maths and twelve first divisions.Bora and I were among the select few.This came at a cost though and we had to sacrifice our weekends and holidays for additional classes.No thoughts were spared  for his sacrifices.We were given astronomic amounts of homework.The only means of coping was to copy from a mate who completed the sums diligently everyday.LGBF got wind of this and surprised us in the act.All including the good hearted lad were despatched to the warden for flogging.
Some unkind boys said his real aim was to be the warden someday.which unfortunately was denied to him
.He curiously tried to teach us a Dutch baila to be sung at the big match.We being perverse ,continued with the ballad of the “Randy burgher boy who seduced the daughter of the surgeon next door.The surgeon neutered him and he thus was subjected to the ridicule of all and sundry.”
Our favourite master was the English teacher Mr Senaratne . Sena papa as was affectionately called inculcated in us a love of prose and poetry , of words and witticisms ,proverbs and aphorisms and much more .He generously bought with his own funds schoolboy magazines  like Champion, Eagle and many more.His room was lined with tall bookcases filled with the best of English literary works.; a favoured few could borrow some tomes..Thus was born our life long tryst with English literature.
In the College Forms ( University entrance) cricket competed with studies to the detriment of the latter.I was not successful at the first attempt to enter Medical school,partly due to two debilitating illnesses ,Paratyphoid and infectious hepatitis.Bora passed at the first attempt;he was now a day scholar and more attuned to studies.
My mother sensing my distress took me to weekly bana preachings by an erudite monk. Parly due to that and partly due to long evening walks on the beach ,I was able to regain equilibrium and qualify the next tIme.
It was now  time to  come out of the cherished cockoon and walk out into the hostile world.We despaired at the very thought of abandoning,the much adored playing fields, the noble edifices,the sylvan groves and the majestic trees.But most of all the trusted comrades who traversed with us the long road to young adulthood.
They are ,the
“ Guardians of our memories
   Keeping our youth and yesterdays alive,
   Comrades with one history.”
   Adele Faber




15 comments:

  1. Kumar
    You have left me short of words to describe adequately a brilliantly written account of your passage through middle and upper school, warts and all. Your memory for the intricate details of the misdemeanours including the people and the price paid for the transgressions astounds me. I have managed a school website for over 25 years and have tried hard to write down those memories. It isn’t easy to maintain anonymity and at the same time reveal as much as possible to retain the reader’s interest. You have indeed mastered the art wonderfully well.

    I hope schools still have those dedicated teachers who were there all their professional lives. Just like in Goodbye Mr Chips.

    “Teaching is not a lost art, but the regard for it is a lost tradition.”
    ― Jacques Barzun

    It is indeed the friends and teachers that make one’s school days so special. Many of our teachers are no more and several of the friends too have now crossed the vale. This indeed makes those journeys to the past rather sad. But in some strange way it is still marvellous to recall and reminisce those years.
    I have enjoyed those memories immensely. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ND,
      Thank you very much for your generous praise.This was a labour of love ,but like Jack’s beanstalk it grew and grew and grew;part one was over 5000 words.I’m grateful to Lucky for publishing it in chapters.
      Thank you for the link to the Wesley college website;it will give me many,many hours of absolutely delightful reading.Will start with your contributions..While scanning the contents,I couldn’t but help but read the appreciation of Bryan Classen.What a man;what a cricketer!!He was probably one of the most outstanding of his era.
      I regret that there is very little about teachers in my post;I was worried that the post was evolving into War and Peace dimensions.!!
      But I do respect them more today perhaps than even then.
      Your quote was very apt.Teaching was a vocation at that timeParents and society as a whole appreciated and honoured them.

      Delete
  2. Kumar, I fully agree with Nihal. That was so well written making full use of the wonderful English language in all its glory. What a time you had! Till I read your stories in the blog, I was unaware of your long standing friendship with Bora. Have you considered writing a book about your school days? "Kumar's schoolboy days Diary" will be a best seller!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen,
      Thank you for your lavish praise, hopefully deserved.
      Any flair I have for the use of English language ,I owe to my ,first teacher Aunt Ethel,teachers at STC who inculcated in me a love for the language and literature and introduced me to great writers and poets past and present and to my own wide reading.
      I will give serious consideration to your suggestion;infact I have been jotting down some incidents in my writer’s notebook.
      I regret very much,losing proficiency in Sinhala ,due to our prolonged ‘exile’ in the west;it was hard earned in village temples and at the feet of the teachers at STC.I owe my SSC distinction in Sinhala to them.
      Thus a cautionary tale.Do not let disuse ,atrophy any learning or skills you have acquired.

      Delete
    2. Kumar
      In addition to a Distinction in sinhalese,you got Distos in Maths,English,Chemistry and maybe more.Your performance was the best in our class.
      I remember poor C.A who was a year senior to us,repeatedly getting very poor results at the SSC,he was a boarder and did not spend much time with the books.He was complaining that his failures were like successive pillars in our assembly hall.A friend reassured him that "Failures are the pillars of success".

      Delete
    3. Bora
      During our youth it was said in jest that failures are the pillars of Pembroke. But those pillars have supported numerous students to enter university and pursue successful careers. I know a lad who was at school and despite his many attempts couldn't get a suitable grade in the GCE. He finally went to Pembroke and shone brilliantly entering the university ending up as a top official in the Central Bank in Colombo. Needless to say the mere mention of his old school he comes out with a barrage of expletives. Then we really do need a mask to avoid the spray of saliva.

      Delete
    4. Nihal
      Thank god Covid was not around then.

      Delete
  3. Well done,Kumar.Reading your brilliant history brings vivid memories of my school days.I too was in hostels from the age of 11yrs.I did not have any close friends as such ,among hostellers.The two close friends ,I had on my left and right,in the secondary school continued until we departed after the GCSE.Friend on my right went onto become a brilliant lawyer and retired as an Acting solicitor General.I kept my friendship all through,until his demise,following a chronic blood disorder.The other friend retired from teaching.I last met his in early eighty,during my holiday in Sri Lanka.I presume he is still alive and spending his retirement in Kandy.This particular friend hailed from the village,Marapana,about 5 miles from Ratnapura.Kumara,your classmate,Marapana's ancestors must have been from that village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sumathi.My only hostel experience was in the Bloem.Our mother ,insisted that my brother and I should live at home during our school days.
      Bora spent many years in the STC boarding and will have many an absorbing tale.
      I’m certain you have many stories about Bloem ,it’s inhabitants meals and high jinks.There were many “Runyonesque” characters in the hostel ,some legendary.You should tell us about them sometime.
      It’s always sad when close friends pass away.”Those we love don’t go away,they walk beside us every day.....,”

      Delete
  4. Kumar, Need I say again- You write so well.
    This account of your journey through middle and upper school at STC with details of the little mischiefs was a joy to read - Thank you.
    Shall look forward to Part 3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Rohini.
    Kanthi and I do enjoy and are grateful for your compliments,advice and .
    support.
    Some of the mischiefs were not little in the eyes of our august teachers !!!
    We all look forward to your poetry and prose and of course the comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kumar and Kanthi,
      I cannot adequately express how privileged I feel to have your friendship and to enjoy the elegance and richness of Kumar’s prose.
      It is writing at its best and needs to be preserved.
      I totally agree with the comments Nihal and Mahen have made, and hope we’ll see a compilation of these, and more gems in the not too distant future-
      With my best wishes- keep safe.

      Delete
    2. My apologies Kanthi- I should have addressed it as Kanthi and Kumar - take care-

      Delete
  6. This is Zita, late as usual! I was absorbed, fascinated and almost transfixed while reading this fantastic account which could have been easily by one of the great authours of Dickensian calibre. It's true! I hope you'll let us know of any publications you have done and if not, there is still time to do so. I now realise the high calibre of the 'Thomians' of whom we were in awe during our school days and college days. I have met and read many of you and can say you are all a 'cut above the rest'. It's not that I am looking down on other schools and institutions of learning. But there is something special about 'having a name and reputation'. Thanks, Kumar! You made pictures in our minds and we enjoyed every minute reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Zita ,
    Sorry,I missed this amidst the profusion of posts and comments.Your generous praise means a lot to me ,coming as it is from a skilled wielder of the pen both prose and poetry.
    We were lucky to have excellent teachers in STC ,and also good friends and a unique ambience.
    I have read widely from my schooldays and sometimes I wonder whether certain phrases which go into my compositions may be construed as plagiarism; some writings do become ingrained in one’s memory and surface unwittingly.
    Did you read my post about our batch mate Sunna which I wrote with a lot of affection.Not authored any books so far.But perhaps a compilation of articles later.

    ReplyDelete