Saturday, May 30, 2020

Cyril Ernest's sporting career


I had my early education at St. Mary's College, Negombo, where I played for the school cricket team and also played for Negombo United cricket club in the Daily News Trophy tournament as a 15 and 16 year old. In 1958, I was selected to play on the Rest team under Kingsley Fernando (St. Sebastians) in the National inter-schools cricket championship. It was a quadrangular tourney between Colombo North Schools, Colombo South Schools, Kandy Schools and the Rest of Ceylon. We beat the highly favoured Colombo North Schools in our first game and went on to meet the Colombo South Schools in the finals which I believe was captained by Michael Tissera. We lost to them in the finals. I top scored with 66 runs in the game against Colombo North in the first innings and also batted well against the Colombo South team.

After this cricket encounter my Dad took me to St. Josephs College, Colombo to enter this school to pursue my studies and sports. My Dad knew the then Rector of St. Joseph's College, Fr. Peter Pillai very well. However, when we went to meet him he was away in England. So we ended up at St. Benedict's College, and I was accepted as a student by Rev. Br. Alban Patrick.

I was boarded at the College hostel which enabled me to participate in sports as well as pursue my studies.I represented St. Benedict's in cricket, hockey, tennis, and track and field at the highest level in inter-school competition.My first encounter in school cricket at St. Benedict's was against St. Thomas' College in 1959.They were a formidable side. I went in to bat at the fall of the 7th wicket, and I put on a partnership with Anton Abeysekera of over 50 runs to take our score to some state of respectability.Anton was not out at 45 runs.We did lose this game.My first captain was Lionel Fernando, and I remember the game against St. Anne's College, Kurunegala played in Kotahena when Lionel scored 204 runs not out and took all 10 wicketsin the first innings and 7 wickets in the second innings - considered a world record at the time.I fielded at leg slip and took 3 or 4 catches off his bowling.I scored several half centuries during my career at St. Benedict's as an opening batsman, with ahighest score of 71 against St. Joseph’s. My best bowling figures was against Royal College when I grabbed 5 wicket in the first innings in the 1960 encounter.In our match against Royal College in 1959, LorenszPerera scored adashing century. I was out to two brilliant catches by Michael Dias in each innings. The Bens-Josephian encounter of 1959 is well-remembered. St. Benedict’s had not beaten St. Joseph’s for a very long time (last being in 1917), and we were on the verge of winning this encounter, but we dropped two vital catches. Josephians’, Cedric Direckze and Nihal Samarawickrema somehow survived, and not only did they save the game but went on to win it as well.

In hockey at St. Benedict’s I played right-half. We were coached by the famous Brian Assey, and we had a very good side. He was our Chemistry teacher, and he also played for Ceylon. From the 1959-60 sides, there were six/seven Benedictines who represented Ceylon in hockey. The names that come to mind are Rex Sebastian, Batcho Selvaraj, W. Charles, Anthony MacIntyre, the Fernando brothers (Stanley, Homer, and Subash), and NattarAssissi. Our main rivals were St. Thomas’ College, Mount Lavinia, as they used to give us a good fight in hockey. We were National Champs in 1959 and 1960. In tennis, I played in the public schools tournament and in doubles my partner was Shiran Pieris. We lost to the eventual champions, NavinGuneratne and Lal Senaratne, in the quarter-finals in 1959. In Track and Field, I represented college at the public schools championships, having qualified by coming second to Warna Fernando in the Western Province North Group meet. I can recall those whom I competed against as Ranjit Samarasekera (Antontian), Anton Perera (Peterite), R. U. Liyanage (St. Thomas’ Matale), Lorensz DaSilva (St. Thomas’ Mount Lavinia), and Warna Fernando (Ananda).

In cricket, Mr. Bertie Wijesinghe was our coach, and Mr. Felix Fernando was our master-in-charge. We were really fortunate to have been coached and trained by them. I remember how Mr. Wijesinghe went about his coaching, all about basics – we had to do batting drills with concentration on ball after ball. It was the same with bowling. I was trained as an off-spin bowler by him. The art of flight, accuracy, and planning before each ball was bowled, studying the batsman and how to outsmart him, were all part of the drills. We had to repeat these steps with sheer concentration and focus on what was delivered. 

In 1960, St. Benedict’s 1st XI was captained by Elmo Rodrigopulle, and Ranjit Fernando was my opening batting partner. The team was comprised of Allen Gunesekera, Sanath Jayawardena, Winston Dissanayake, Ranjit Perumal, QuintasPerera, Gordon Dissanayake, Cecil Saverimuthu, Nihal Fernandopulle, Nihal Zoysa, Nihal Amerasinghe, Percy Perera, Fredrick Silva, and Chandra Ramanathan. Bede Puvimansinghe was our Prefect of Games, and Bertie Wijesinghe remained as our coach. In that year, we recorded on of the famous wins against St. Peter’s where Elmo got a hat trick, and I also got a few wickets. St. Peter’s were led by AdielAnghie. St. Peter’s also had a very good side. St. Anthony’s, under Charlie Joseph, also another good side. St. Joseph’s too, was another formidable side. They had Brian Perumal and I remember scoring consecutive boundaries off him on a matting wicket, that didn’t please him much. Then, St. Thomas’, under my good friend Dr. LareefIdroos, we lost once again to the Thomians that year. If not mistaken, I scored 34 runs in the first innings and 64 in the second innings. I would like to mention the support we got from the Benedictine supporters led by Kenneth Dabrera at Kotahena. 1961 was my last season at St. Benedict’s. 1961 was my last season at College as I entered the University that year.. I should mention  the great teachers who taught me at St. Benedict’s – Rev. Br. Theodoret, Mr. RH Phillips (Physics), Mr. Brian Assey {Chemistry), Mr. Peter Fernando ( Zoology) and Mr. Thillainathan ( Botany).

I entered Medical College in 1962 and my Dad Christopher Ernest died when I was in the 3rd. MBBS class. In the University combining sports with the studies was not easy. However I pursued my sports career representing the University in cricket and hockey.In 1962/63 season we won the Sara Trophy in cricket – the one and only time the University had won this National championship. Our cricket team had an array of schoolboy stars and we blended well together under the leadership of Carlyle Perera. The team comprised of Buddy Reid, Nihal Gurusinghe,Mohanlal Fernando, LareefIdroos,HarshaSamarajiva,URPGoonetilleke,V. Sivanandan,Nanda Senanayake, KitthaWimalaratne, MerrilGunaratne, Mano Ponniah, NJS de Mel and myself. Kingsley Fernando played a few games. Our fielding was superb. We were rewarded with a tour to Singapore and Malaysia for winning the Sara Trophy and we did extremely well on this tour. Our hockey team also won the Andriesz shield in the premier hockey tournament in Ceylon during our time. I captained the University team in 1967 my final year. I also captained the Ceylon University team to India for the inter University tournament in 1966.

While in the University, I was selected to play in the Up Country XI against Pakistan in Kandy. The Pakistan team was captained by Imtiaz Ahmed and had IntikhabAlam, JavedBurki, Asif Iqbal amongst others. I was also on the Ceylon side in 1969 under the captaincy of Michael Tissera when we beat Colin Cowdrey’s MCC team. I had the privilege of getting the wickets of Colin Cowdrey and Basil D’Oliviera. I also played against Madras in the Gopalan Trophy representing Ceylon  and scored 45 not out to help Ceylon beat Madras. I also toured India with the Ceylon Govt. Services team under DH De Silva in 1969 and also played against Joe Lister’s International side. After leaving the University, I played for the NCC and subsequently joinining the Air Force on the Adastrians team. I captained the Adastrians and also the Combined Services team in the Robert Senanayake tournament. Prior to joining the Air Force I was a regular member of the Govt. Services side and we won the Robert Senanayake championships on two consecutive years. In the Air Force, I captained the side which won the Inter Services cricket tourney and also playing on the Hockey team we won the Inter Services Hockey championship. I was selected to play on the Ceylon side in cricket against the visiting Pakistan team in 1971, however the Pakistan team did not come to Ceylon when war broke out against India over the Bangladesh problem.

I left Ceylon in Feb. 1972, and landed in New York where my buddy LareefIdroos picked me up from the JFK airport. I was in New York for 5 years where I qualified in Internal Medicine and got my sub speciality degree in Cardiology. The 5 years spent in New York were very tough years and I did not have any time for cricket. After finishing my training in Internal Medicine and Cardiology, I moved to California with my family. I have since remained in California. Once in California I resumed playing cricket in the local tournament and I was a member of a Sri Lankan club – Colts. In 1979 I was selected to play on the USA team against Canada along with LareefIdroos and C. Balakrishnan. This match was in Vancouver.We lost to Canada by a bare margin. Subsequently , I was selected to play on the USA National team in 1982 in Birmingham , England for the ICC trophy. Zimbabwe won this tournament and they were able to advance to playing test cricket. Lareef, Bala and myself have had the distinction of playing International cricket for 2 countries –Ceylon and USA.

Even with a very busy private practice in Cardiology, I still pursued some of my other sports exploits – long distance running and martial arts. I have run 4 marathons -2 in Honolulu, one in Los Angeles and in Beijing, China. I am also a 2nd. Degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do. I was involved on the administrative side of USA cricket and at one time I was the manager of the USA team and also chairman of selectors..

My wife Indranie is also a doctor and she still works full time. My daughters Cheryl and Melanie are also in California and they are pursuing careers in Psychiatry. We do travel quite extensively, and at the last count we have travelled to over 95 Countries and hope to make it to a hundred.

We have been living in California since 1977. Looking back, the times I spent at St. Benedict’s College have been the most wonderful years. The discipline, education and the environment we grew up in under the tutelage of the Christian Brothers has indeed helped us immensely in our lives. We are truly indebted to them for affording us this privilege.


6 comments:

  1. Cyril
    So lovely to read your memories and thank you for agreeing to publish them in the Blog. I was a spectator at some of the cricket matches you mention and do recall how well you bowled. Cyril Ernest became a house hold name respected and feared in school cricket. Many are the times when the back pages of the Daily News carried your name and photo. You are indeed a fine all round cricketer. Cricketers have wonderful memories of the matches they have played and it doesn't surprise me you can still recount the intricate details of those games.
    I have such fond memories of the star studded Varsity Team that won the Sara Trophy finally going down to the wire. Although being an international cricketer of repute you relate those stories with modesty. We are very proud of your academic achievements too. I wish you and the family every happiness in the years to come. May God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyril, Nihal has beaten me to it as usual and therefore I will not repeat his words.So, St Joseph's loss happened to be St Benedict's gain! Did you play in the match at Reid Avenue when Quintus Perera clouted many sixes and almost beat us? I think Senarath Jayetilleke who played for St. Anne's, Kurunegala played for the Combined Sister Schools team in the big match against SBC. The majority of the University side were Medicos, except for Nanada Senanayake, NJS de Mel, Mano Ponniah, Kingsley Fernando and Sivanandan who was a Vet, student and the wicket Keeper as well.. I think SR Kottegoda was your manager when you all toured Singapore. The following year when Buddy Reid captained the University team, we lost the Sara Trophy to Bloomfield by a whisker! Later the Health Dept Sports Club won the Government Services A Division title, when it was dominated by the Colombo Municipal Council team, Nomads.
    I was at the oval when you dismissed Colin Cowdrey and Basil D'Oliviera. I came to know C Balakrishnan quite well at the Main Quarters at GHC during my internship. We used to play a lot of poker.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyril
    You must have been a precocious talent to play "Dailey News"cricket as a fifteen year old.Getting Colin Cowdrey's wicket would have given you immense joy,he was one of my cricketing heroes.I saw Cowdrey getting a half century at the oval in 1954.
    Bertie Wijeysinghe was a very good coach,in 1955 I attended his classes at the SSC and in our group of six was a diminutive Nanda Senanayake who looked an outstanding talent.
    I wonder whether you played for Ceylon against a MCC team captained by Tony Grieg who was sledgung our boys non stop.One of our players got fed up and told him to stop barking.Grieg very arrogantly retorted "How can I bark".The Ceylon batsman replied loud and clearly "Because you are a son of a bitch".
    Enjoyed reading your post,a brilliant career combining studies and sports with excellent results.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a remarkable career Cyril.Even more remarkable is your humility,hiding your light under a bushel.
    My only encounter with you in cricket was at the first eleven match in 1960 at Kotahena.Lareef captained our side which had only two coloursmen while your side was very experienced.I was the wicketkeeper.Keith Labrooy ,BWR Thomas and Lareef bowled superbly.We won much to to the displeasure of the partisan Kotahena crowd .I was booed too for catching you behind the stumps in both innings.
    I did play for the University in a few practice matches with that great side.You were in Peradeniya; when Sivanandan returned to the side I was left out ,never to return after contracting chicken pox and S being a superb keeper.
    Thank you for sharing your most interesting memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not many have succeeded in combining sports with studies as you have done Cyril. Well done. Just shows what determination and doggedness can do without which talent cannot succeed. You are a role model and we are all very proud of your achievements.

    ReplyDelete
  6. From Cyril.

    Thank you Speedy for your kind thoughts and comments. I am indeed very grateful for your innovations and all the deeds you do in helping and maintaining the blog in collaboration with Lucky.Your efforts do not go un noticed.
    Cyril Ernes

    ReplyDelete