Wednesday, May 20, 2020

A Very Rare Achievement by Dr. Cyril Ernest


 
In fairness to Cyril and to do justice to a very rare achievement, as the Blog Administrator, I take upon myself the entire responsibility of publishing this private exchange of e-mails among three members, which speaks volumes for Cyril's modesty. Well, if he doesn't want to do it himself, there are other ways in which viewers of a blog can get to know what a versatile individual their batch mate is.
More than anything else, it was our privilege and pleasure not only to have known Cyril, but to have been his mate in the same batch as well. We have seen many sportsmen excelling in both studies and sports in the past. But with so much emphasis on studies which obviously leaves hardly any time for students for any extra curricular activities these days, I doubt very much that our Universities will produce any more Cyril Ernests in the future.

So here we go........ Please read in the order as the dates indicate.
***********************************************************************

Fwd: Sports I have been involved in.

Inbox
x

Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya

Mon, 18 May, 10:55 (2 days ago)


to bcc: me


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya <sanathp.lama@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 at 10:54
Subject: Re: Sports I have been involved in.
To: Antony Ernest <0741ace@gmail.com>


Thanks a lot for sharing. Cyril. I think you should post it on our blog spot. If not Lucky, Nihal or Mahendra will do it on your behalf. Why don't you join our next Zoom meeting?
Sanath

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 10:13, Antony Ernest <0741ace@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Lama,
My best performances in School cricket- 71 vs. St. Josephs
                                                                        67 vs. St. Anthony’s, Kandy
                                                                        64 vs. St. Thomas’
                                                                        70 vs. St. Annes, Kurunegala
                                                                        50 vs. Combined Sister Colleges.
                                                                        66 vs Colombo North Schools for Rest of Ceylon.Numerous 30’s and 40’s. No centuries.
                                                Bowling - 5 for 33 vs. Royal.Many 4 wicket hauls.
                                                 University -82 vs Moratuwa.55 vs. Moratuwa
                                                                     53 vs SSC; 55 vs SSC.
                                                                     60 vs. Tamil Union
                                                                     Numerous 30’s and 40’s.
                                                                     Many 5 and 4 wicket hauls.
                                                 For NCC - 8 for 7 runs vs. Moors
                                                                    6 for 15 vs. University
                                                                    6 for 69 vs. Nomads
                                                                    7 for 25 vs. Army
                                                                    Many 3 and 4 wicket hauls.
                                                   For Adastrians - 139 not out and 84 vs. Saracens
                                                                     Many 30’s and 40’s.
                                                                     Many 3 and 4 wicket hauls and one 5 wicket haul vs Saracens.
In the Inter Services tourney - 78 vs Army and 7 for 30 vs. Army
For Ceylon - 45 not out against Madras in Gopalan trophy game; 28 against  Joe Lister’s team. Bowling 2 wickets against MCC.
The above scores are mainly in the Sara trophy tourney.
I scored 211 runs and took 6 for 12 vs Chilaw Marians playing for Negombo CC.
Several other scores of over 80 and 90 playing for the University In friendlies etc.
The above scores can be authenticated by paper cuttings etc that I have. Most of these scores are from memory.
Cyril Ernest.

Sent from my iPad

On May 17, 2020, at 7:41 PM, Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya <sanathp.lama@gmail.com> wrote:
Congratulations! Cyril, what a superb all rounder ! What were your best achievements in cricket at school, club and national levels ?

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 01:53, Antony Ernest <0741ace@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Lama,
What a surprise to hear from you re my sporting career. Well, since you have asked me let me tell you without being boastful that I have indulged in many sports -but I confined myself to only two - Cricket and Hockey. Had I continued my skills in Hockey, I might have impressed some selectors to be tried out as a Ceylon hockey player. In school - I represented my Alma mater in Cricket, Hockey, Track and field and Tennis.In all these sports I represented my school at the highest level attainable including Public Schools representation in the Javelin throw where I finished 5th. or thereabouts as far as I can remember.In the University I confined myself to only Hockey and cricket; but I did win the Javelin throw and was the singles champion in Table Tennis at the novices meet. I was pretty good in Table tennis and I was beseeched by the captain to participate in table tennis.In the States, besides cricket I confined myself to long distance running and I have run numerous 5 and 10 K runs locally - time permitting.I did run 4 marathons - 2 in Honolulu, and one each in Los Angeles and Beijing. My best time in the Marathon was 4 hrs 31 mins. And my worst time was 4 hrs,53 mins in my first run in Honolulu.
Besides sports, I represented my school in Do You Know and Spelling Bee contests in inter school competition. I was involved in other activities in school being a Prefect etc.
I started martial arts in the Air Force and continued in the States and it really has helped me boosting my self confidence and in various other ways.
I do not by any means try to highlight my career achievements, but since you asked me here it is.
Cyril Ernest.

Sent from my iPad

Lucky Abey adnl1102@gmail.com

Mon, 18 May, 11:21 (2 days ago)


to Antony, Professor
Having first met Cyril in June 1961 when both of us did Chemistry for the 6 months course (along with the late Razaque Ahamat, Zita Perera Subasinghe, Puwan Ramalingam Sivanathan, Ranjith Kariyawasam, V. Kunasingham,), I have been following his sports career closely, not only since then, but even when he was a student at St. Benedict's College, Kotahena. Although I had a hazy idea of all the games he played, I never got the opportunity to learn about them in such detail. I would be pleased to publish it on the batch blog if Cyril has no objections. Please remember that it is your blog and is meant to highlight achievements of batch members. Modesty does not come into play at all.

The photograph album Cyril presented to me more than a decade ago as a memento, occupies a special place on my book shelf in my study. He always knew that I have been a great admirer of his sports career, especially during University days.

Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya

Mon, 18 May, 19:29 (2 days ago)


to bcc: me



---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Professor Sanath P. Lamabadusuriya <sanathp.lama@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2020 at 19:28
Subject: Re: Sports I have been involved in.
To: Antony Ernest <0741ace@gmail.com>

Cyril, you are far too modest !

On Mon, 18 May 2020 at 19:02, Antony Ernest <0741ace@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear Lama,
Thank you very much for your personal  interest in my performances in cricket. I am by nature a quiet guy who does not like to show off any deeds.. I have opened up to you and perhaps ND who have shown a personal interest in my exploits in sports. These are only a part of my sports achievements which I have had the privilege of sharing with you. I have been featured in the Sports legends section of the newspapers in the past. I would leave it at that for the present and not blow my own trumpet.

*************************************************************************
More about Cyril. I am posting this as requested by ND.


Dear ND,
As I had indicated in an earlier e mail, I wish to recount some amusing anecdotes of my cricketing career.
My earliest and fond recollection is of a kindly old gentleman - an avid cricket fan whom we referred to as Uncle - Mr. Fernando. He was our unofficial umpire at all cricketing events during my school career at St. Mary’s College, Negombo.His son was a famous anesthesiologist - Chokka Fernando - a good cricketer himself.He once was umpiring an interschool cricket match in Negombo. Our best batsman was clearly out LBW and the bowler appealed; after careful consideration he pronounced the verdict not out. Believe me, as the cricket commentators would say- the ball would have missed the leg stump and the off stump, but would have certainly hit the middle stump. On his return to the confines of the pavilion we asked him how his verdict of not out was given - he answered in Sinhalese - THAMUSAYLA HARI MINUSSU! SCORE EKA BALANAWAKO, KOHOMA OUT DHENNAY.
Playing cricket in India is no joke; you are up against 13 players - the Umpires included conspiring against us.I captained the University team to Bangalore in 1966 - Lareef the official captain unable to make the trip.In the 1st. Game we played against Andhra Pradesh and we beat them handily by an innings.Our next game was against Bangalore, captained by Chandrasekhar who was an unorthodox leg spinner who was an Indian Test player.We were told that if we made over 300 runs that we should be able to beat them. We did score over 350 runs in our first innings.However we did not reckon the abilities of the umpires.No matter what we did unless the batsman was out caught in the outfield or clean bowled the verdict was not out.It was an exasperating experience. Bangalore ended up scoring 687 for 7 wickets and declared.We went in to bat again and again we scored over 350 runs for the loss of 5 wickets but we lost the game.C. Balakrishnan who subsequently opened batting for Ceylon scored a scintillating 142 runs. I must mention that in our earlier game against Andhra, Nihal Amerasinghe scored a glorious 128. Such are the pitfalls of playing in India sans neutral umpires.
I was playing on the Govt. Services side in 1968 against the International Joe Listers side.Dhanasiri Weerasinghe was our skipper. I was padded up to go in 4 down and Dhanasiri was designated to go in 3 down.Lionel Fernando was in at 2 down and he tried to hook a bouncer off Geoff Arnold and was hit on his nose; he had to retire with blood streaming down his face.Dhanasiri was next man in, but he told me Cyril palayangmachchan. So I had to go in to face the chin music of these formidable pacies.These were the days when we did not wear any helmets to protect ourselves. I was able to hold my own and made 28 runs. A fearsome bowler was Harold Rhodes 6foot5 inches tall and he would come at you at over 85 mph and end up right in front of your face having bowled a menacing short ball and literally shout “Fook You”. My reflexes were pretty good at that time to enable getting hit on the face.
The year was 1967 and my finals were one week away.I was selected to play on the Rest of Ceylon team in a trials game. We were playing against the Nationalised Services. I was batting and at tea time I was on 21 not out. The game was at the Colombo Oval. At tea time it rained. In those days there were no covered pitches. The rain ceased, but the surface of the turf was still wet I was facing Sylvester Dias and he let fly a bouncer and the ball instead of rising skidded and caught me half way through the hook shot and I was hit on my nose.I knew it was fractured.I was taken to the Emergency Room at the General Hospital and Dr.Rienzie Pieris examined me and with a deft movement put the nasal bone in place. I went back to the Oval and what do you know I had to go in and bat again and scored 48 runs.Iwent back to Bloem with a thundering headache and had to sit my finals in one week and did well to pass.Those were the days.
I was carried away by the moment and had to give you some insight about my cricketing career. Shall relate to you some other incidents which as an ardent cricket follower might interest you.
The article from the Quadrangle magazine - I will have to locate it and I shall send it to you soon.
Cyril Ernest.


13 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Lucky for agreeing to my request as Cyril is far too modest a person , to have done it himself. Cyril , all of us are undoubtedly very proud of your wonderful achievements in such diverse fields.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyril is indeed an accomplished sportsman. I knew he excelled in cricket and hockey but his athletic and table tennis prowess were unknown to me. Apart from being a highly respected cardiologist, what endears him to me in very simple language is this: "Cyril is such a nice guy!". Well done Cyril, we are all very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyril
    Whats stands out above all the accolades achievements and accomplishments is your modesty and humility at all times. It was such a great pleasure to see you at the Cinnamon Grand in 2012 with Lareef. I was then with my school Cricket captain of 1959, Senthil Sinniah and we were able to have a lovely chat of the good old days on and off the field.
    Let us hope we will have the good fortune to meet again. Meanwhile take care and stay safe in these difficult times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done,Cyril.I knew very little about your achievements in the field of sports.Your success in the field of medicine and sports is a very rare achievement,in deed.It is pity that,SriLankan Medical and Sports,hierarchy have failed to honour you,wholeheartedly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathy
      You are right. Cyril is too modest and far too humble in the hubris world of high powered sports. He doesn't suck up to politics and politicians. He deserves national recognition. Nowadays one has to shout out loud to be heard. To us who know Cyril well he will always remain one of the finest all round cricketers of our generation and one of a handful who excelled in sports and academia.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic Cyril !
    You can justifiably be proud of your academic as well as sporting achievements.
    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. Rohini,Cyril is a sporting legend,known to only a few in 1962,batch.From the number of appreciations,appeared in the blog,so far,it seems my observation is pretty obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Cyril,
    My apologies for this late response.The plea is the emotional and physical debilitation due to the prolonged confinement.
    You are truly a sporting legend;this is well known as is your eminence as a cardiologist.
    What should be equally well known is your modesty,simplicity,the exemplary family life and Indranie your charming wife who has been behind you at every step.You were very private too and going away at weekends to Peradeniya was a mystery to me for a long time.
    Although your room mate at The Bloem I never heard you bragging about your sporting prowess, even in the dining room or the sprawling open parlour where the mood was spirited and tongues loose.
    May your tribe increase!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Cyril,
    Your warm hospitality while we were in Los Angeles for a year will never be forgotten.I was alone in a hotel room till Kanthi arrived.You and Indranie rescued me every weekend from my solitude ,feted and took me around.When Kanthi fell ill both Indranie and you were again our sole pillars of strength.
    Your kindness will ever be respected and remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The article “Globe trotting sportsman;journey from Negombo to California” is excellent reading.
    This was published when Cyril came to SL as chief guest for the SBC prize giving.
    An honour given to very few.
    The link is www.quadrangle.lk

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Kumar. It was indeed a fascinating article. This is the specific link in quadrangle for anybody who wants to read it:
    https://quadrangle.lk/globetrotting-sportsman-a-journey-from-negombo-to-california/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cyril. Congratulations on all of your accomplishments in cricket as well as in other areas!! It is the rare few who remain "Nice guys" (or 'gals' as the case may be) in spite of all the the accomplishments and accolades. It was great to have met you and Indrani several times over the years in Colombo. I hope we keep meeting on and off. Congratulations again and sending you the Vulcan salutation "Live long and prosper!"🖖🏼

    ReplyDelete