Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Pranks committed by me

By Cyril Ernest

From my very young days I have always been a prankster. Here are some of my exploits.

The year was 1972 and I was an intern in one of the New York Hospitals.An elderly Jamaican nurse related to me the story of how she had tricked a girl re the Fallopian tube. I remembered this incident and one night an elderly patient was admitted under my care in florid pulmonary edema. In those days one of the treatments meted out was rotating tourniquets to decrease the venous return to the heart. I immediately told one of the nurses to go get me a Fallopian tube. She was a recent grad and without questioning she went in search of a Fallopian tube. In the meantime I treated the patient and she got better. This nurse later returned to the floor with the nursing supervisor who was very angry and she admonished me saying that if I needed a Fallopian tube to go to the Ob/Gyn surgical floor. This particular nurse was so angry at me that she did not speak to me for the 5 years I was at this hospital. Late in the 80’s I saw an article mentioned about a Fallopian tube request in one of the medical journals.

There was another incident where I was working in the ICU.As I walked out of the ICU, I noticed a walking cane on the table near the Secretary. I asked the Sec. whether I could have it and she willingly gave it to me. I used this cane and I feigned injury and I walked with a limp to the elevator on the 5th. Floor. As I was walking out, the head nurse of the ICU saw me limping and she insisted on wheeling me down by wheel chair much against my protests.She wheeled me down to the 1st. Floor and through the ER where my car was parked.I told the nurse to hold on quickly left the cane on the wheel chair and ran to my car yards away. This nurse shouting obscenities at me flung the cane at me. However By this time I had made my escape.

I took a lot of fun in disrupting the lives of the monitor techs in the ICU/CCU.I used to go behind the curtains and shake the EKG leads on the patients to mimick V.tach and the tech would get so excited and call a code.Pandemonium would break out in the ICU/CCU immediately and I was gone by this time.

Another time, I used an alarm which a kindly nurse had given me which she had purchased at a shop which could be attached to the toilet seat and if somebody were to use it , the loudest alarm would sound. In the ICU I attached this alarm to the toilet seat and an elderly nurse, a long time employee used the bathroom. Lo and behold there was a loud alarm that sounded and this nurse came out all flustered. Later on I found out that she had heart problems. Luckily nothing happened.

Next time I admitted a patient from the ER with chest pain. He was a motor mechanic.
In passing I mentioned to one of the nurses that he was a famous Phiilosopher. Oh gosh, you should have seen the array of personnel who came visiting the ICU to see this famous person.

One other time I showed a nurse a contraption purported to be rattle snake eggs.This very gullible nurse wanted to see it. So I showed her this contraption which did make a noise when she opened the envelope. She yelled out the loudest shriek in the ICU at this disturbing the entire ICU.

Another incident was on the day after the inspection by the JCAHO. You know in days gone by, the JCAHO inspection used to be a big deal and the entire hospital would be cleaned and kept spic and span for this inspection. The inspectors had come and gone and the next day when I went to the floor it was as usual with paper towels strewn all over and the drawers pulled and half closed etc. So I went to the next floor and told the charge nurse to call the ICU and just mention three words - THEY ARE BACK. Oh, you should have seen the pandemonium that ensued, trying to clean up the mess.
Unfortunately nowadays, we cannot have such fun.

So many other incidents of similar frivolity have occurred that are too numerous to document.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Cyril
    How wonderful to see you on the blog again. Thank you for those hilarious anecdotes to raise a smile when in lockdown. I remember you more for those wonderful exploits in the cricket field with the bat and the ball for St Benedict's, the University and for Sri Lanka. After the passage of so many years what I recall and what stands out is that you were a gentleman on and off the field in victory and defeat. I remember so well that great game you played at Reid Avenue which was school cricket at its best When Quintus Perera's Caribbean knock and your fine 5 wicket hall couldn't bring you victory.
    As a fine cricketer your name made headlines and was a household name well into medical school and beyond. But you had the tremendous ability to keep your feet on the ground and remain one of us.
    Cyril, take care and be safe in these uncertain times
    I do wish we have the good fortune to meet again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyril, I never knew you were a prankster however I enjoyed your pranks. Were there any pranks in the cricketing arena? I know that it is not a prank, but what were your best performances in school, club and international cricket?
    Nihal, I vividly remember Quintus Perera's sixes (I lost count), but I cannot remember Cyril's five wickets. You are neither a Royalist nor a Benedictine; what made you visit Reid Avenue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was sorry Quintus didn't get his century for such a brave knock at such a difficult time. He made 90 I think. Harsha Samarajeewa bowled brilliantly for his 4 or 5 wicket haul. I must congratulate the Royal captain, I think Sarath Samarasinghe for his brilliant leadership. Nanda Senanayake too bowled well to keep the Bens quiet. On that Saturday the Ground was packed with cricket fans and what a fine game it was.

      Delete
  3. Sanath
    As a schoolboy I was an inveterate cricket fan. I looked at the back pages of the Daily news every Friday to see where the best game was and mostly I went on my own to watch it until the last ball was bowled. Quintus Perera made a genuine effort to turn the tide. His cameo innings had the support of the visiting fans who were in raptures but the Royalists held their nerve and were far too good on the day. It was a fabulous game of cricket and played in the best spirit of the game as I still recall the handshakes and the back slapping when the bails were lifted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I never! Cyril, you surprised me with your stories. I never knew that you were fond of pranks. Were you a mischievous school boy too? I bet you were! I cannot really call myself a prankster but I did cause some embarrassment at home when I planted a remote control fart cushion where one of our serious neighbours sit (a stern lady) when she visits us. When the noise emerged quite loudly, she didn't bat an eyelid and went on as if nothing had happened! It is really good to see you on the Blog. I hope you will pluck some techno know-how and join the zoom session on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Cyril,
    You have really astonished me. The serious ,studious,self effacing modest Cyril my Bloem room mate and lifelong friend; what incredible pranks .I didn’t have the guts or the inclination to carry out such practical jokes on our hard working nursing staff; they were such good colleagues both in UK and Australia.
    What did Indranie have to say about all this ?
    Ability to laugh with others and laugh at yourself is a wonderful trait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cyril
    You have surprised us,enjoyed reading the stories,all good fun,nice to hear from you.Did you try any pranks in the dressing room or with the umpires.How about sledging,you are too much of a gentleman for that.Take care

    ReplyDelete
  7. Et tu Cyril !
    I thought you were such a saintly soul !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cyril, its been a long long time since I met you at Colombo Apollo hospital where I worked since returning from UK,you really surprised us all by your pranks. One incident I remember is when you mentioned that I hit you for a six while you played for Negambo CC vs Observer eleven combined schools team.

    ReplyDelete