Sunday, May 17, 2020

The dangers of being an Invasive Cardiologist

Sent in by Cyril Ernest

I must confess to you that although being a Cardiologist was a prestigious assignment,
the position was fraught with many dangers that could be encountered out of the blue when you would least expect it. In my life as an invasive Cardiologist I have been fortunate to have been able to survive many ordeals and save my skin so to speak.

One of the scariest encounters I experienced was when I did a routine coronary angiogram on a young lady in her 40’s,  a heavy smoker with chest pain suggestive of angina - several years ago. Everything went off well in the early part of the test. However, when I engaged the right coronary artery, she started having PVC’s. Initially it was not considered a dangerous feature, but these occurred unrelentingly and the rhythm deteriorated into v.tach and v.fib. The patient was shocked several times without any response. Code blue was called and I decided to inject dye into the RCA to take a look at the status of the artery. To my dismay the artery had completely blocked in a vaso spastic state. I immediately gave the patient an intracoronary bolus of nitro glycerine hoping for the best. With my prayers and the intracoronary NTG, the artery opened up and the v.fib subsided and she awakened. What a relief it was. I probably died a thousand times during this encounter. She did very well subsequently and went home without any residual effects.

The next encounter I remember was of a man in his 60’s. Because of my quiet and unhurried demeanor, the new nurses who needed training were invariably assigned to me. This particular nurse with some experience made a mistake of injecting a bolus of air into the coronary artery instead of the dye by turning the stopcock of the syringe into the wrong port. Heaven helped me! The patient was in such severe pain and the ST segments went sky high on the monitor. Well , the patient was given much pain medications to no avail and we had to just wait till the coronary artery was cleared. He too made a good recovery and went home unscathed.

My next episode that I remember is that of an angry patient who attacked me - a case of me being in the wrong place at the wrong time. As always when I do rounds I visit the ICU first. On this day as I was entering the portals of the ICU there seemed to be pandemonium with a nurse being pursued by a hulk of a man at least 6ft. 2 ins tall and quite muscular. It appeared that this was a patient recovering from an overdose of opioid medication and he was angry that the nurse did not give him the medication that he demanded. He had apparently been released from the jail recently. As luck would have it, he unleashed his fury on me as I was entering the ICU. Well, I am a 2nd. Degree Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do, and I used my skills that I had learned in subduing this angry man until help in the form of Security Personnel arrived. In less than 4 seconds he was down on the ground struggling in the choke hold that I had him in. The more he struggled, the more he choked. It took a good 4 security personnel to keep him down.The nurses and other personnel who witnessed the episode were surprised that I was able to subdue this guy.

There are many other skirmishes that I have been involved in which could be discussed at a different time.

11 comments:

  1. Cyril, I knew that you were a very talented sportsman but I did not know about your expertise in martial arts! What were the games you played other than cricket and how far did you progress?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So nice to see your continued progress as you re-enter the Blog world Cyril! We learn something every day. Quiet and unassuming Cyril, a Black Belt in TKD! I don't know what I would have done in a similar situation (apart from sh**) in my pants. your stories do make me wonder how stressful your job must be. The fact that you enjoy what you do must help you and I suspect your faith must help you too. Look forward to more from you and who knows, you might, just might, master the way to post comments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cyril
    Where have been all these years away from the blog. So lovely to have you now with your amazing stories of expertise and courage written with modesty and humility. Just like Sanath, I only knew of your wonderful feats with the bat and the ball and that too done quietly but with precision. Good on you my friend, our multitalented polymath.
    Do continue to surprise and entertain us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is From Zita.posted by Mahendra. No idea who this intruder Albert is.

    After reading short and scintillating account by Cyril, we see what looks like and advert! Life's full of surprises!

    I too want to ask, where have you been, Cyril? You've given us a short and scintillating account of your experiences which is really interesting to read. It has a lot of clout! Now that you have appeared on the scene, we hope to read more of your experiences.

    Batch '62 has a lot to offer. It's better now than never to read the experiences of our unique members. Well done! from Zita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from Cyril to Zita.
      Dear Zeta,
      Thank you for remembering me. I first met you when you and I were classmates in the 6 month course in Chemistry at the University. Since then I have met you at 2 re unions, once in England way back in ?92 and again in ?Hikkaduwa or Wadduwa about 8-10 yrs ago.I read about all your contributions to the blog, but I am unable to reply or make any comments because of my inability to write to the blog.Speedy has indeed tried his best to educate me in this venture , but unfortunately I have not pursued it. Thank you once again for your kind comments.
      Cyril Ernest.

      Delete
  5. Cyril,you are not only a multi-talented doctor,but also a life saver.If not for your martial art talents,the poor nurse might have lost her life.
    Well done you;hope your talents will gone forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sumathi, please excuse me, did you mean talents will "go on for ever" or "gone for ever"?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lama,It should be "go on forever,and certainly not gone forever.Well spotted.I know that you have been very good at spotting tip of one's mistakes.After all,you have examined thousands of Undergrads and Post Grads over the years.Any mistakes in answers would have tipped the balance between a Distinction,2nd class level,bare pass and a failure.
    Hope!I have not brought any disrepute to Cyril.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sumathi, as far as I am aware Cyril is far too broad minded to be bothered by such trivialities.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are right.i have known him from Bloem days and on a subsequent visit to Birmingham,he made a point to contact me from the hotel,he was lodging in,to visit me.He visited me and met with BL and his wife,Lawrence Ratnam(1960 batch).He visited famous Cadbury chocolate factory,before he left Birmingham.The group photo is in my custody and I am hoping to post it to him to keep it as a souvenir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too admired Cyril for his modest and simple ways. I have met him a number of times after i moved to California. Cyril is still the modest and simple and I an sure this is accentuated by his dear wife who too is very simple and modest

    ReplyDelete