Tuesday, June 20, 2023

MANOBHAWAYE ABADHA- MOOD DISORDERS - BY DOUGLAS MULGIRIGAMA

The launch of MANASIKA SAUKYAYA 2 - MANOBHAWAYE ABADHA

The second book by Dr Douglas Mulgirigama, Retd Consultant Psychiatrist

Douglas Mulgirigama published his second book on the 5th of June 2023. The launch of the first book was reported in our Blog on the 17th of December 2019. Here is the link: Please click on it to open the post and the 39 comments on it:

https://colombomedgrads1962.blogspot.com/2021/12/douglas-mulgirigama-first-book.html#comment-form

The launch of his first book, titled ‘මානසික පීඩනය සහ කාංසාව (“Mental Stress and Anxiety”), was on the 19th of January 2019 at BMICH. The Chairperson was Professor Ven Kotapitiye Rahula. By good fortune, it was at the time of the 150th-anniversary celebrations of the Medical College and a few of our Batch mates were able to attend. Those who attended included: Pramilla Senanayake, Bandula Jayasekera, Lucky Abeyagunewardene, Indra Anandasabapathy, Dharmani and Amara Markalanda.

At the launch, Douglas said “I am very proud to be a Sri Lankan and from my young days took great interest in studying the history of Sri Lanka, Sinhala Language and Buddhism. Probably my close contact with the local temple and the monks were influential in this. I also became interested in studying medicine. It was a Buddhist monk in the temple who germinated the seed describing it as a Noble Profession and the enormous merit one could gain by helping others and healing the sick”.

About his second book, Douglas says, “My second book is titled, ‘Mood Disorders - Depression and Mania’ which I wrote in Sinhala same as my first book entitled ‘Mental Stress and Anxiety’. Last month I have been in Sri Lanka running round and preoccupied with getting the book published. Sarasavi Publishers did an excellent job, and the book was launched at the Sarasavi Book Shop, at Nugegoda on Monday the 5th of June 2023. Pramila very kindly attended the occasion representing my whole batch. I am very thankful to her. Attaching few photos of the occasion. Mr H. D. Premasiri (Owner and Director of Sarasavi Publishers) presenting the book to me, and me presenting the book, among others to Pramila.  Very happy to be able to continue this project which I am hoping to write on mental Health topics as a series in Sinhala”

What he stated at the first book launch, “I have two aims: to make accurate and up-to-date information on Mental Health available to the public and making at least a modest attempt to reduce the stigma attached to Mental illness”, still applies.

The book is available online for LKR 1080 (plus postage) from:-

https://www.sarasavi.lk/manasika-saukyaya-2---manobhawaye-abadha-9553128270


On behalf of all the ColomboMedgrads1962, I salute you with great pride and admiration.

Mahendra “Speedy”  Gonsalkorale

11 comments:

  1. Hi Douglas
    I want to offer you my heartiest Congratulations on the launch of your 2 nd book on Mental Health. I salute you for your commitment and effort made to write in Sinhala.Though it's our mother tongue, it would have been much more difficult to write in sinhala as we are all more used to expressing our thoughts in English.

    Your book is truly fills a long felt need as there are such few Medical books written in Sinhala. It would be invaluable for both patients and caregivers , giving a better understanding of a difficult
    problem . Keep up the good 3ork!.
    Wish you all the very best
    Warm Regards
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suri,
      Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate your comments.
      Warm Sincere regards
      Douglas

      Delete
  2. Hi Douglas
    I still have the first book you presented to me which I have read and kept to remember our friendship. Although so beautifully laid out, It was a tough read for a radiologist and an exile of 50 years whose Sinhala has almost gone down the pan.
    Whenever I see the book on the shelf I'm reminded of the regular lifts you gave me on your Vespa from the faculty to Nugegoda in the blistering heat .
    You are a star, Douglas. I salute your ability and the willingness to spend time and effort to create a book in Sinhala for the lay public. In your first book you have indeed achieved your aim to educate and reduce the stigma of mental health issues. You have such fine insight into the complex illnesses it is written in a way even I could understand.
    When I recall our time at the faculty what stands out is your immense kindness and generosity. You seem to have maintained that despite all you have achieved in your life. Well done my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ND, Thank you. You always make very touching comments. i value them very much.
      Warm and Sincere regards
      Douglas

      Delete
  3. Hi Douglas
    Congratulations!
    I am full of admiration for the work you have done, particularly, addressing the stigma attached to mental health disorders in Sri Lanka.
    I loved reading your statement that you were proud to be a Sri Lankan.
    I wish you every success with your future endeavours in the field of mental health in Sri Lanka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bora,
      Thank you very much, Your appreciation and blessings are very much valued.
      With Warm and Sincere Regards
      Douglas

      Delete
  4. Douglas, As I said in the post, I salute you with great pride and admiration. To publish ANY book is an achievement. To publish a book in Sinhalese targeted to reach an audience who would otherwise find it diffiult to obtain reliable information on this important aspect of mental health, is so admirable and much needed. Mental Health in Sri Lanka is an area which is not only misunderstood but also the subject of unproven ritualistic practices and mythology. I hope that your book will help to educate the public and change their attitude towards mental health problems and how they deal with mental illness in general.
    The Blog has yet again shown how useful it is and I do hope that more people will access it and support it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Mahen,
    Thank you, you always come forward to keep the blog going. I appreciate and value your comments. I gives me enormous encouragement and hope.
    Thank you again
    with Warm and Sincere regards.
    Douglas

    ReplyDelete
  6. Douglas, Congratulations in filling an important vacuum in our literature

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kumar,
    Douglas, Congratulations on your splendid effort. This is very valuable, especially so because it’s written in Sinhala.
    I did send you an email with an attachment of an article about your book in the Daily News. It was addressed to dmulgirigama @ outlook.com. Did you get it?
    We hope to see more contributions from you in the blog .
    Like you my brother and I learnt Sinhala and Buddhism at Buddhist temples; initially at the Bellanwila Raja Maha Viharaya.That helped me to get a distinction in Sinhala at the SSC. You may have known my first teacher Ven Medagama Vajiragnana who became the Sanghanayake for the UK.
    Best wishes to you and family.
    Kumar Gunawardane

    ReplyDelete
  8. Douglas
    Congratulations on your great achievement ! We as batchmates are proud of you. I really admire you for publishing a book on Mental health in Sinhala which is a great need. Keep it up.!
    Wishing you all the best in your future endeavours.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete