Friday, June 2, 2023

The Praying Hands - Nihal D Amarasekera

The Praying Hands

By Dr Nihal D Amerasekera 

I was a boarder at Wesley College for six years. There is a certain intensity to the memories of boarding life. There was a small room sandwiched between the busy and noisy dormitories. This was our chapel. It had a quiet and reflective atmosphere and was a place of shelter and sanctuary from the ever-present storms of life in the boarding. What touched us all was its sheer simplicity.  The walls were bare. There was no furniture but for a lectern placed in a corner. We sat on the floor for a short service every evening. The floor was clean, polished and shiny. The sermon was conducted by the staff. Mr L.A Fernando was a charismatic teacher and a towering presence on the teaching scene at Wesley from the 1950s and well into the 60's. One evening when we were all gathered in the Chapel, he brought with him a parcel. He carefully unwrapped a painting and said, “I’m going to tell you a story”.  He was famous for his stories, and there was a buzz of excitement in the room. Mr Fernando unfolded the legend behind the famous artwork, “Praying Hands”, which was to adorn the Chapel wall. 

It was a painting by Albrecht Dürer (1471–1528).  He was a supremely gifted and versatile artist. Albrecht lived in Nuremberg in Southern Germany with his parents. He began work as an apprentice to his father who was a goldsmith. His remarkable talent was recognised at the age of 13 when he did a self-portrait. His father arranged for him to be trained by a famous artist, Michael Wohlgemuth. 

The painting of the Praying Hands, done in 1508, is presently located and displayed at the Albertina Museum in Vienna, Austria. The Praying Hands is a pen and ink drawing of a man in prayer. The folded sleeves are shown, but not the body. This is recognised as one of the most famous drawings of all time. There is great controversy about the history of the ‘Praying Hands’.  Much research has been done in the past century about this most remarkable painting. There has been a long-held view that the hands were a part of another painting by Dürer called the ‘Heller Altarpiece’. Dürer was famous for his self-portraits and he has done them at several stages of his life. Hence, Christof Metzger's well-researched opinion is that Dürer has drawn his own hands. The true history and the inspiration for this artwork, however, is lost in the fog of time. 

Bringing the hands together to pray is believed to have originated in Hinduism many thousand years ago. This gesture was taken and then used by many other religions and cultures. Bringing the hands together in this way can mean respect, obedience or even submission. 

Fact or fiction, there is a deeper story attached to this famous painting, one of familial love, supreme sacrifice and sincere homage, a narrative which has survived the test of time.  Albrecht was one of 18 children in the family. His father had to work 18 hours a day to feed the children. Two of his older children Albrecht and Albert wanted to become painters. Their father could only afford to send one to the Academy at Nuremburg to study art. After much discussion, the story goes, that they tossed a coin. The agreement was for one to attend the academy while the other laboured in the coal mines to pay for art school. After completing the training, he can sell his art and pay for the other brother to attend the Academy. Albrecht won the ‘toss’ and went to the Academy first. Albert did the dangerous work in the mines for 4 years. After Albrecht’s training, his work was greatly admired, and he became well known. His commissioned work earned him large sums of money. When the young artist returned to the village after 4 years, in all his glory, his father held a festive dinner. After a long and memorable meal, Albrecht rose to drink a toast to his brother for the years of sacrifice. All heads turned towards Albert, who was in tears with his head bowed. Albrecht said, “My dearest brother, now it is your turn to go to the academy”. Albert sobbed and said, “No, I cannot attend the academy now. See what working in the mine has done to my hands. It is far too late for me. Every bone in my hands have broken at least once, and I now suffer from arthritis. I cannot even raise a glass for a toast with my right hand”. Albrecht was deeply saddened by this news. As a tribute to Albert’s supreme sacrifice, Albrecht later drew his brother’s hands in prayer simply calling the painting “Hands”. The painting was so pleasingly intimate. The world who saw this loving tribute preferred to rename it “Praying Hands”. Through its religious connotations and artistic beauty, It is now among the most famous drawings of all time and one of the most heavily reproduced. 

As an artist of repute, Albrecht Dürer travelled widely to the Netherlands, Switzerland and Italy to learn further from the Great Masters. Dürer was greatly influenced by Italian art. He soon became a leading artist of the Renaissance period. Through his talent, intellect and expertise, Albrecht became friends with influential, rich and famous people, including the Roman Emperor Maximilian 1.  Dürer remains one of the finest artists Europe has produced. His paintings adorn museums all around the world. 

Physicians who have studied the painting suggest there are signs of disease and human suffering in the hands depicted. The bent little finger of the right hand may be due to Dupuytren’s contracture. There is muscle wasting, perhaps due to diabetic neuropathy. Due to the deformity of the fingers and the left thumb, some have suggested rheumatoid arthritis. All this is pure conjecture. The details shown in this drawing is said to be the result of Dürer’s exposure to the Renaissance culture of Italian art. 

This story and the painting have been a special favourite of Christians for several centuries. The painting hangs in homes, churches and schools as a reminder of our need to pray.

It is often hard to fathom from the external appearance what burdens people carry all through their lives. Once we know the true stories of their lives we learn to appreciate and respect their perseverance and sacrifices. 

I have now lived abroad for half a century. Visiting art galleries and museums in Europe and the USA have given me immense pleasure over many years. They offer a wonderful opportunity to journey through time.  Dürer’s paintings are easy on the eyes and speak volumes. Whenever I see a painting of Albrecht Dürer, I am transported across the seas to Wesley College and to the chapel where I first saw the “Praying Hands”. Being the only photo in the little chapel in the boarding, the artwork had a tremendous impact on us all. I thank Mr L.A Fernando for his thoughtful gift, which had remained a shrine to a legend. On a visit to my school in 2012 it brought me great sadness to see that the boarding has ceased to exist.  Perhaps a sign of the times!! I stood there bewildered by the emptiness and mesmerised by the sound of silence. It all looked so sad and derelict. Just for a brief moment, I was transported to those wondrous days of hustle and bustle. Memories came flooding back of friends and those glorious times of long ago. I had to wipe a tear as I stepped out into the afternoon sunshine. 

We live in a fast-moving world. There doesn’t seem to be any time for others, except oneself.

But if we take a step back we realise there are many who have helped us along the way, including our parents, teachers and friends. Let us not allow this help and sacrifice to be taken for granted. We must remember the many who have fought in the great wars and given their lives so that we can live free. No one makes it alone in this world. 

Great achievement is usually born of great sacrifice and is never the result of selfishness.

-          Napoleon Hill

24 comments:

  1. Nihal, that was very interesting and educative. I have seen some of Durer's work when I visted the Sydney Art Gallery, in Australia. I can't recall exactly waht it was but it was a black and white drawing.

    I wonder whether you were prompted to write this article after watching my video on a Remembrance day post where I used an image of two hands together with reverance. Perjaps not!

    I was not aware of the sad sacrifice made by his brother in order to allow his brother to complete his art studies. It amounts to the way the toss of the coin went, just like some famous cricket encounters!

    The other famous painting showing a hand is Michael Angelo's Uploifted Hand and the two hands reaching for each other in the Craetion of Adam, again by MA. I am sure there are many more. Praying Hand has also been drawn by the Scottish Artist William Dyce in 1864.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahen
    I am glad you found the narrative interesting. On a sunny but cold day I went with Steve, my elder son, to Wallsall, a town in the West Midlands, to take his daughter for a birthday party. As we had some time to kill walked around the town when we came upon an Art Gallery. It was small but lovingly maintained unlike the town which has perhaps seen better days. Even the view from the windows were made to look like drawings!! I was struck by the many Albrecht Durer paintings. He had done many self-portraits in colour and black and white. Many observers had commented he has drawn them like the portraits of Jesus Christ with a calm and serene facial expression. There was a fabulous painting of a hare which looked so very real. These masterpieces transported me across the seas to my childhood ‘home’ at the Wesley College boarding.
    I learnt from the immensely helpful curator that every museum has a huge store of paintings. At any one time only 10% of the collection is on display. They constantly change what’s displayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nihal,
    Thank you for your interesting post on the " Praying Hands" I was not aware of the story behind it. Shows that often behind the great achievements of people, there are others who have made great sacrifices.
    My mother used to keep a replica of the "Praying Hands " beside her bed, so your article brought back poignant memories.
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suri
      Thank you for your supportive comment. Glad you like to the story behind it all.

      Delete
  4. It's Suri again
    Nihal your reactions to the
    " disappearance" if the hostel , of which you had such fond memories made me chat to Jabez Joseph who attends our church , who I knew was a hosteller at Wesley. He said that the hostel was closed some years ago as the need for it ceased to exist. The Dining room however still functions. They have a very active Old Hostellers Union. In fact they had a full day program a couple of days ago with 75 members attending! The oldest participant was 85 yrs and the youngest 25 yrs !
    He said if you are interested , you could join their WhatsApp group and keep in touch. There may be some of you friends in the Union. If you are interested I can send you Jaebez's contact.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Suri
      It is most kind of you to pass on this information to me. I would very much like to be a part of their WhatsApp Group. I know there was an Old Hosteller's Dinner recently held in the dining hall where we had our meals in the old days. I remember as if it were yesterday the friendships and the camaraderie that existed. Ironically, another famous painting that adorned the wall in our dining room was "The Last Supper" in colour. Boardings in schools are not popular anymore even in the UK. But my memories of those years in 'incarceration' will remain with me forevermore.

      Delete
  5. Dear ND,
    Thank you for a splendid essay. Not only did I learn much about Albrecht Durer, but even more importantly about your charismatic teacher Mr L.A Fernando. Our teachers , as much as our parents shaped our characters and who we became. I have not forgotten your request for a post about Mr F.J.Senaratne. The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.
    AD was not only a great painter but must have been a great human being too. The story behind the painting made it an indelible memory.

    I , too have an abiding interest in the arts and have spent many hours in the wonderful galleries and museums of Europe; the latest being the Hermitage in St Petersburg and Prado in Madrid. You would have visited the Smithsonian museums in Washington. All these were many, many years ago; the physical effort now would be too demanding.
    The most outstanding painter I have met personally is our own George Keyt. I will hopefully write about him later.
    Keep writing Nihal. Like a good wine you are improving with age.
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kumar
    Its great to hear from you. Incidentally Mr L.A Fernando was a student of your wonderful school by the sea. It must be the sea breeze that makes you guys so very special!!!! The same breezes that helped your bowlers to knock our bails off.
    I havent been to St Petersburgh but have visited the Smithsonian and the Prado. I have seen and appreciate the work of George Keyt.
    Take care my friend and stay connected

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nihal

    Excellent article, brilliantly written. Found it very informative. Brought back memories of the boarding life and the art world. STC had one of the biggest school boardings in Sri Lanka with over 200 boarders. Hostel life gave us a good foundation in punctuality, loyalty, discipline, camaraderie and team spirit.

    With reference to the praying hands: I am surprised that during the pandemic no one in England thought of adopting this as a way to greet. It would have been more hygienic than knocking elbows and far more graceful.

    I have spent much time in art galleries looking at the masterpieces from the Renaissance artists. At one stage, I was a keen fan of the Italian Renaissance Artists – Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Titian immediately spring to mind. My favourite art galleries are the National in London; the Uffizi in Florence and the Louvre in Paris. On my first visit to Paris, full of excitement, I asked a very polite Frenchman for the directions to the Louvre and ended up not before the enigmatic smile of Mona Lisa but in a gent’s toilet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora
      Thanks. I agree with your sentiments about boarding life. Boarders were at school 24X7 and had that feeling they owned the place. They knew every blade of grass in the premises. Many boarders felt the day boys were just part timers.
      It was not all fun as you will recall. There were bad times too. I couldn't describe it better than Charles Dickens in his Tale of Two Cities:
      "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way"

      Delete
    2. Bora, I guess the polite Frenchman thought you said the "Loo!"

      Delete
    3. Srianee
      I agree.When I related this story to a colleague of mine she burst out laughing and put the blame on my Sri Lankan accent, A good friend and not a racist.

      Delete
  8. Hi Bora,
    your experience of being directed to a Loo reminded me of an amusing incident that happened to us
    We were in in Paris on a holiday and we wanted to cover the usual sites.We wanted to see the Eiffel Tower and took an underground tube ride as recommended in a tour guide, When we emerged from the station, we were not sure which way to turn. So we stopped a Frenchman asked asked him for directions. He said " "Tower Eeefell ?? There there there " and pointed up " To our embarrassment it was just there towering above us... But we were looking at eye level and not up ! We often miss the big picture because we are not looking up... In the right direction.!!
    You guys seem to be well versed in artistic creations. I do enjoy looking at beautiful paintings but I am not well informed about them. I do remember feeling rather disappointed when I saw the famous Mona Lisa I expected it to be much bigger ! Many of the paintings at the Louvre were so breathtaking that you feel completely overwhelmed. It's too much to take in at once.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The above comment is from Suri

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Suri
    Like you I expected something more from the Mona Lisa painting,maybe my eye was not trained to appreciate the finer points.I agree ,in these famous art galleries there is so much to see,but you can take in only a limited amount, I get brain fatigue after a couple of hours.
    Looking back, I think my accent may have confused the Frenchman.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Nihal
    At STC too some boarders felt that,they belonged to the school more than the day boys.I was a boarder and a day boy and did not feel any difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora
      After 6 years in the boarding I left to become a day boy. Enjoyed being free from the constraints and strict rules. As you rightly say the boarding teaches discipline and to live by the rules. It taught me to utilise the allocated time wisely and get involved in all the activities available. I was forever hungry in the boarding and valued good food which I still do. Sharing what we had with others seemed of paramount importance to maintain friendships. I owe a great deal to boarding life.

      Delete
  12. Nihal
    The boarding food was not great,for example pol sambol was made from cocoanut scrapings from which the milk was partially extracted.We called the modified version "Pol kudu sambol'.
    Sharing resources was of utmost importance.Anyone going to the tuck shop on his own was called "GOPAL".So we had to find a partner to visit the tuck shop and share the cost.My tuck shop partner was B.W.R.Thomas..Long ago at STC there was a boy named "GOPAL" who was very selfish,never shared anything.There was a bully in our dormitory who used to force a boy to accompany him to the tuck shop but never contributed a bloody cent,in my view the bully was worse than GOPAL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora
      I too remember the polkudu sambol without the 'goodness'. Hardened hoppers like flying saucers. We could kill a man with those Rock hard lumps of kiribath. The lunumiris sambol blew our heads off. The tuck shop man did a roaring trade with us boarders. He even maintained a book selling food on "tick" so that we can pay on pocket money day. Incidentally the Tuck shop guy later became the Canteen Manager in the faculty canteen during our time, after 'Uncle' left. Being an old boy of my school often the manager didnt charge me for the tea.

      Delete
  13. Nihal, thank you for writing about Albrecht Dürer. I enjoyed reading the story behind the "Praying Hands." I was very familiar with the pen and ink drawing, which I had seen hung in various places, and I was also somewhat familiar with Albrecht Dürer. But, I didn't know that he was the artist who created the work! I learned something today.
    As you wrote in your excellent essay, Dürer was born in Nürnberg (Nuremberg) and was buried there as well. My younger daughter and family lived in that southern German city for about 7 years before they moved to Hamburg, and she took me to visit his gravesite at the local cemetery. He also had a rather unique signature/monogram where the letter D was tucked under a lager letter A. (I'm sorry that I cannot reproduce it here but you can look it up on line - like everything else!). My daughter admired it so much that when she had business cards printed she adapted his design!
    I enjoyed the your and Bora's stories about boarding life as well. I think the number of boarders are dwindling in all the private schools now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Srianee
    Good to hear from you. Your connections to Albrecht Durer are interesting. This is a simple but an evocative painting that has remained in my memory since those schooldays. I will indeed look for the signature/monogram. Browsing through the books in a famous bookshop in London recently I came across a huge book of his paintings which I was greatly tempted to buy. At the end I didnt as many books lie in my shelf unread and 'unloved'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nihal, please excuse me for the belated response as I was busy otherwise. It was brilliantly written and full of facts which I was not aware of. Bringing the hands together reminds me of our own "Ayubowan". The recent Corona epidemic popularised our traditional greeting because it substituted for the shaking of hands. It became popular in the West as well. I think I saw a photograph of King Charles greeting someone in the "Ayubowan" manner.
    Bora, I happen to know BWR Thomas pretty well. For the past several years we play gin rummy together with a few other friends, during most evenings. He represented STC in 1960 and Ceylon in cricket, as a right arm leg spin bowler. Although Lareef Idroos played for STC and captained the team in 1960, I think BWRT represented the country before Lareef. Please correct me if I am wrong.

















    '

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sanath
    I am not absolutely certain,I think you are correct.Although Lareef was more famous of the two as a schoolboy cricketer,Thomma represented All Ceylon before Lareef. It is possible that Lareef received the CCA cap before him,
    Thomma and I were in same dormitory ( Miller Junior) in 1953/54.We had a "Pol Addi" fight one day, following which became the best of friends.Lost touch after I left the boarding.Please give my warm regards to him.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sanath and Bora
    I too remember BWR Thomas as a wily spin bowler. Very successful at school cricket.. I can't recall his performances at national level. I remember watching cricket at the STC grounds surrounded by those magnificent buildings. The breezy wicket was a cemetery for visiting teams. STC had some fine cricketers over the years from PI Peiris days to the Reid brothers. I too remember the fine spirit in which the games were played compared to the war like atmosphere of today.

    ReplyDelete