Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Republishing Indra's last comment made under "Orchids".

Indra Ana feels that viewers may have missed his last comment under "Orchids". Therefore, I am republishing it as a new post. Although I have tried to assist visitors to draw attention to older posts,
no final decision has been taken.

Several years ago I was at the New York ORCHID SHOW that is an annual spring fixture in the beautiful large glassed ATRIUM in downtown, Manhattan, not far from the World trade center building that was attacked later .They even had palm trees here.The atrium too,which was shared by American Express was damaged and the orchid show moved to Rockefeller center for several years. There were vendors from several countries but mainly from Thailand and the state of Hawaii.
There was a time I was getting a white infestation on some of my plants and on closer look I noticed very small white insects. I tried liquid soap spray, and insecticide spray without much success.
During my visit to the show I met a nun from the Bronx about whose orchid exhibits there was a write up in the local press.I happened to see her and I walked up to her and while talking to her about her interest I inquired about my problem with some of my orchids. She advised me to spray the plant with isopropyl alcohol, available in most plant supply stores and often in hardware stores too. One spray is often all that was needed. It took care of my problem.
A fan set at slow speed helps to keep the air around orchids circulating and they like that .
Right now I am in the process of down sizing and have only about 20 orchid plants.
ia

5 comments:

  1. 70% iso propyl alcohol to be exact.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is 17 more than I have! My orchids are in various stages of palliative care i am afraid. The good news is that one had a resurrection and is proudly displaying 5 flowers, would you believe it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great news, Mahendra. What about a picture?
      IA

      Delete
  3. Thanks Indra for your fantastic presentation on Orchids your detailed comments, which I read and admire very much as I am such a novice to this subject but a great admirer of orchids. I am particularly 'chuffed' to hear that Mahendra has some in paliative care! Even that is better than me waiting to admire other people's hard work! Thanks again, both! I hope to see and read more about them in the future. Zita the late and usuallly the last.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zita,
    That old quote, better late than never.

    ReplyDelete