Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Important Announcement

Ever since I started this Blog, there have been times when I was faced with a severe dearth of material to be published. I have used various strategies to draw our colleagues in the batch to come out of their shells and make their presence felt, wherever they are at present. Hats off to my able lieutenant who has been by my side at such times and often suggested new ideas to keep the Blog going. I am referring of course to my dear friend Mahendra (Speedy) Gonsalkorale. Most features that you see in the blog today were conceived by him.

As I have commented often under different blog posts, there has been an improvement lately, particularly with regard to the number of contributions coming in. I hope and pray that this healthy trend would continue. Hardly ever have I seen such a glut and never been compelled to keep them in line to be published. Under such circumstances, I have strictly followed the order in which they were received and never deviated. I have also tried to keep the blog open primarily for members of the batch and for news and achievements of immediate family members. I have thus been reluctantly compelled to make restrictions and not entertain any requests for news and achievements beyond one's family. I have had occasion to explain to some of my friends, however painful it was, about my inability to entertain some of their requests.

Viewers will understand that a blog post once published has to be exposed for comments at least for three to four days for the usual comments to come in. It is understandable that some cannot visit the blog daily. Thus their comments may be delayed. There is also a tendency for viewers to comment only under the most recent posting and completely neglect older posts. This too needs to be changed and I wish to make use of this opportunity to request all viewers to scroll down and look at older posts (and comments). For example, there was the recent comment made by Sanath Lama under his post on his Keynote Address at Sabaragamuwa. It generated such a lively discussion that I recommend it to be read by all viewers. But there is always the danger that some of you might miss it simply because it is not the last post on the blog.

Considering the above mentioned factors, you all must bear with me in case any of your requests have been turned down or has been kept in line for a prolonged period of time. Needless to add, some content may be time sensitive and can get outdated if kept in line for an extended period.

In concluding this announcement, I wish to emphasise that whatever you send in will get published or
you will definitely receive a polite e-mail explaining why it had to be turned down. Nothing whatsoever will be misplaced or lost once they reach my safe hands!

Lucky

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the clarification Lucky. I am trying to find if there is a simple way of showing that a new comment has appeared for a previous post when a person logs in. I can't fins a way but have asked for help from the Blogger community. There is of course a way of getting email notifications for new postings and I can show how if anybody wants to know. I have already done it for some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky
    How come you got the formatting right in your personal document and for the rest of us formatting is abysmal. Its not your fault . The problem probably is in the transferring of the documents we send. Our personal comments are ok too. The issue probably lies in your own computer/software and not in the blog.
    I must stress this is not a complaint. I'm trying to workout why there is a formatting problem. I know Mahen too is looking into it. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky, So happy with the current popularity and contributions to the blog-
    A dream come true for you - hope it will never become a nightmare !!
    Iam sure you will deal with all of it equitably and responsibly-
    Thank you and Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Could it be something similar to a traffic jam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky, thank you for clarifying the policies for posting on the Blog. I am in total agreement. I was not at all offended when you explained to me several weeks ago that you are confining the posts to our batch mates and their immediate families. I am happy to hear that their is a queue for the posts. As Rohini said I hope the dream does not become a nightmare!
    We can welcome anyone to make comments, am I correct? When I sit down to peruse the posts and comments on the Blog, I often check the older posts and add comments. When I participate in a 'discussion' I try to remember to click on the box below 'Notify me.' This ensures that I get an email if and when someone comments on the same post. It prods me to check the blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent! I am glad that you have taken everything in the right spirit. But I always strive to accommodate especially the talents and achievements of our own batch members as a priority. You have to understand that apart from e-mails, I even get telephone calls from members of the batch who are based in Sri Lanka asking for clarifications and instructions regarding publication of new items etc. I like to treat such requests on a priority basis mainly because we have to keep the regular contributors fully satisfied.

    Speedy and I are presently working on the matter of "older posts and comments" so that viewers will find an easier way of referring back to an older post or a comment therein under.

    I also wish to give a preview of my plans for the very special "Remembrance Post". I have already sounded a few who have been closely involved in it.

    The plan is this:

    1. Approximate date of publication - around end of March 2019

    2. Recapitulate background - "Hits" so far (1,114,318 to date)

    3. Poem by Rohini with musical accompaniment by Speedy

    4. Photos of all 38 colleagues (and an updated list) who have passed away.

    Any other suggestions would be most welcome.

    ReplyDelete