Wednesday, November 17, 2021

MY PAINTINGS OF CACTI FLOWERS- Chirasri Jayaweera Bandara

MY PAINTINGS OF CACTI FLOWERS

Chirasri Jayaweera Bandara

Cactus is a member of the plant family Cactaceae. They are succulent perennial plants. Cacti generally have thick herbaceous or woody chlorophyll-containing stems. Flowering plants with 2000 species.

Cacti are native to North and South America, British Columbia, Alberta, Chili, Argentina and Mexico.

Few Tropical and Sub Tropical in dry zones.

Cacti can be distinguished from other succulent plants by the presence of areoles, small cushion-like structures with trichomes ( plant hairs ) and in almost all species, spines or barbed bristles (glochids )

Areoles are modified branches, from which flowers, more branches and leaves (when present) may grow.

In most species, leaves are absent, greatly reduced as modified spines, minimizing the amount of surface area from water can be lost, and the stem has taken Photosynthesis functions of the plant.

The root systems are generally thin fibrous and shallow ranging widely to absorb superficial moisture.










Ball Cactus  (Left)                                                          

Native to Central South America. Life span 10 to 200 years

Sea Urchin or Hedgehog Cactus (Right)

Native to South America, Growing up to 5 feet in height. Bloom with flowers that open during the evening. Flowers last only a  day.       















Organ Pipe Cactus   (Top Left)                                               

Gets its name from the slender curving vertical Stems which resemble the large pipes of an old Fashioned organ. Usually grows to a height of about 15 to 20 feet. Life span over 150 years.  

Torch Cactus or Ribbed cactus  (Top Right)

Found in South America. Stems may grow in clusters reaching a height 2 feet tall making it a columnar cactus. The radial spines are 1.5 inches long, with a Mature plant with 12-15 ribs

The large flowers come in a wide range of Brilliant colour combinations rivalling those of Orchid Cacti.

Range of Cactus Flowers


 

Blue Cactus

Columnar cacti called Pilosocereus that are so Vibrant and blue that you almost believe they’re real……

They often have contrasting orange spines too, which makes them look even more beautiful and unreal.

Native to Central and Northan Mexico. Found in Brazil and the Caribbean.

Flowers white and white yellow. Mature size 6 to 12 feet tall 2 to 4 feet wide.

The more the sun bluer the stem.

Leaf cactus 

(Genius Epiphyllum) also called Orchid Cactus (family Cactaceae) native to tropical and subtropical America, including West Indies.

The plants are mostly epiphytic (grow on other plants) but sometimes grow on the ground.

Christmas Cactus

These are prolific bloomers and produce flowers pink or lilac at the end of leaves. Each flower lasts for 5 to 7 days, the plant may survive for decades.

Starfish flower Cactus

It is native to South Africa.  May produce amazing five-petaled flowers that exude a rather unpleasant odour. The scent attracts flies.                                                      

32 comments:

  1. Mahendra
    Thank you very much for taking the trouble to publish my Cacti paintings. Much appreciated. Thanks for keeping the Blog alive. All the best.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chira,you have brought the cacti to life.Your paintings as usual are vivid and beautiful.I appreciate the annotations which made it more interesting. Did not know until now that these plants were so long-lived. Thank you
    Manel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Manel
    Thank you very much for your comment which I appreciate very much. I get a lot of satisfaction when others appreciate my paintings although I enjoy doing them.
    Glad to know that you learnt some thing.
    I too learnt a lot by going through the internet.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  4. I must thank Chira for sending these beautiful paintings. Chia, you must have spent a lot of time doing these...but I say, if we have a talent, we must make use of it. Keep painting. Like Owlie, I had no idea that these plants had such a long life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahendra
      Thank you very much for your comment which I value very much. I haven't spent much time painting them unlike cross stitchings which take of lot of time. May be a couple of days to few days each painting.
      I am painting animals at the moment. I have painted more than 100 paintings now and I enjoy doing them. Chira

      Delete
  5. Chira, I was fortunate to have seen beautiful cacti, including giant cacti in US and Canada during my guided tours, many years ago. I have not seen the dark Continent. T

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sumathi
    Thanks for your comment. Glad to know that you have seen beautiful cacti in US and Canada. Chira

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chira
    That is a stunning display of paintings worthy of display in an art gallery or at your own exhibition. You indeed have the ability to bring nature to life and into our own drawing rooms to be seen at our leisure. The lucid narratives compliment the art work brilliantly while educating people like myself of the many varieties of cacti and some aspects of botanical interest. It is fascinating that some cacti live much longer than humans.

    My wife has a collection of cacti lovingly cared for as indoor plants that seem to flower in the summer.
    I am reminded of Grays’ Ellegy written in a country church yard
    Full many a flower is born to blush unseen,
    And waste its sweetness on the desert air.

    Our flowers at home are always seen and loved and their sweetness welcomed, valued and enjoyed. There is also a Christmas cactus that gets ready for the seasonal cheer every year and is full of flower on the big day. Caring for cacti doesn’t require a degree but that would help.

    In your narrative there is a mention that some cacti are woody. How very true. After few days of visits to the Atacama desert in South America in a small town at the edge of the barren land was a small church surrounded by a forest of huge tall cacti. As we stepped into the church we saw a fine wooden spiral staircase made from stems of cacti.

    Chira, your paintings brought so much joy on this cold winters day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies


    1. Nihal
      Thank you very much for your lovely long comment.
      You being a great artist painting beautiful lifelike portraits, appreciating my paintings I value very much.
      I feel I am rewarded for my efforts in painting all those flowers along with the annotations from the internet.
      So the woody nature of these Cacti are so strong and helpful in making a staircase!
      As far as the Christmas cacti flowers are concerned, I’d like to mention that the petals emerge from two different levels unlike other flowers where they all emerge from the same level. I made it a point to paint this flower to highlight
      this fact.
      Glad to know that my paintings brought joy to you on a cold winter day.
      Do I deserve all that praise?
      Chira


      Delete
    2. oui, certainement (yes, certainly). 💖

      Delete
  8. COMMENT FROM MANIL
    Chira . Once again you have shown how talented you are . The cacti look gorgeous . I also got educated. As you had kindly given us a write up about each plant .
    But I like your animals better as you seem to be able to capture their life . So it makes one think further iswondering what they will do rather than only appreciating the beauty as happens with flowers as they don’t have life . But whatever you do you show great talent so please keep going

    Chira Iam having posting this again. I tried Google. I was ignored. I tried anonymous and it clicked. But didn’t appear with the others. I wonder how I open a google account. Is it a google e mail or what. Love manil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Manil, I am sorry you are having problems posting comments. I shall contact you and try to resolve your probem. You are not alone in this!

      Delete
    2. Nice to see you back Nihal. We missed your comments.

      Delete
    3. Mahendra
      Thank you very much for publishing Manils comment sent to me as she had problems publishing it. Much appreciated.
      Chira

      Delete
    4. Manil
      Thank you very much for your comment which I appreciate very much.
      Let me thank you for the encouragement. I am painting animals at th moment.
      All the best re your efforts to publish comments in the Blog.
      Chira

      Delete
    5. j'aime les animaux (I like animals).

      Delete
    6. Sumathi
      Be patient! You may see my animal paintings in the near future.
      Chira

      Delete
  9. Manil, you must clear the data and cookies from your Google Chrome regularly. I had the same problem whenever I used my mobile. Good luck with your future attempts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chira , once again you have delighted us with your paintings . You do have an outstanding artistic talent. Your accompanying pen sketches are also interesting and well written. Well done. Suri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suri
    Thank you very much for your comment which I appreciate very much.
    It is encouraging when you indicate that you enjoyed seeing them.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Chira
    Thanks for posting the beautiful paintings demonstrating your artistic skills and a steady ,well coordinated pair of hands.Brilliant colour combinations,in particular the Blue Cactus.I found the annotations very interesting and took me back to "A level Botany":adaptation to the environment and survival.How can the Blog adapt?, if the Cacti can do it,we can too.
    Well done for keeping the BLOG going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora
      Nice to see you active again in the Blog.
      Let me thank you for the lovely comment which I appreciate very much.
      I wonder whether you saw my Sea Creatures paintings published on the 20th Sept. which I like better the Cacti Flowers. Please have a look. I would appreciate your comment.
      For the survival of the Blog I think we all should take part in some way or the other either getting articles published or atleast commenting on them.
      Our Blog has brought us togrther. We should be thankfull to Lucky for initiating it and Mahendra for keeping it alive magnificiantly.
      Chira

      Delete
    2. I had a look at the paintings on the sea animals. They were lovely: precise and well defined. What an amazing colour combination! The paintings looked very real - like photographs.

      We marvel and appreciate the rich diversity of colours among animals and plants. It is very sad that the variation in colour in the human race has created so much grief, division, injustice and conflict.

      Delete
    3. Bora
      Thanks a lot for your comment which I value very much. I was fascinated by the lovely colours of these sea creatures that made me paint them. I am painting animals at the momment.
      I agree with you it is very sad that the variation of colours in the human race has created so much grief, division, injustice and conflict. What can we do? Nothing as individuals, isn't it?
      Chira

      Delete
  13. Bora, I am sure we can solve this thorny, prickly problem of keeping the Blog alive.. it will be a piece of “cake to us”!

    ReplyDelete
  14. beau le gateau (a beautiful 🎂.

    ReplyDelete
  15. මේ සගයා මොනවා ගැන කතා කරනවාද කියලා මම දන්නේ නැà·„ැ!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mahendra
    Mamath danne naha! I also don't know !
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am simply fascinated by the wood produced by the cacti. I saw the cactus wood spiral stairs in a village church in Toconao in Chile. The cactus wood grain has quite a distinctive appearance with vertical linear pock marks. To make a staircase it must be strong and long lasting. I wonder if it has some degree of protection against damage by insects. Do visit this website for a photo
    https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-spiral-staicase-made-of-cactus-wood-in-village-of-toconaochile-38141926.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nihal
    Thanks for sending the photo of the Cacti staircase. I am also fascinated by the Cacti staircase. I cannot imagine that it is so woody and strong.
    Thanks for sharing. Chira

    ReplyDelete