Tuesday, November 9, 2021

 Continuing Family News







(6) FAMILY UPDATE FROM RAJAN “PATAS” RATNESAR

Sorry for not writing earlier, have been busy with family matters and believe it or not I am back working. 

First, my oldest brother Balu an engineer passed away at age 93 in Perth Australia. He really had no illness that caused suffering, his mind was perfect till the very end, playing the stock market, communicating via the internet in spite of severe Glaucoma which had blinded one eye and had taken away about 75% of his vision on the other eye. He lived by himself, refused to go to a nursing home though he had difficulty in walking and had fallen many times. This time he knew he would not be returning to an independent living. On a brighter note of his life, he went to that so-called “prestigious school on Reed Avenue” in Colombo, and played 1st XI cricket under Mahes Rodrigo sometime in the forties but was a reserve for the big match with “school by the sea”. He also won the De Soysa science prize which I am told is quite an honour. In fact, I took him to the hall where the prize winners’ names are there and did recognize a few of our batchmates who also had won this prize. 

A few years back I started a free primary care clinic for the low income underserved and served as their Chief Medical officer for a couple of years. I have been enjoying retirement happily, till I got a call from the CEO asking me to come back on an Interim basis, so here I am in my eighties reading through federal gazettes, excel financial statements, developing policies and procedures to comply with the feds. So to all our batch mates never say you are too old we can function nearly as well as those young pups. 

To add to all this my wife Queelan and I were blessed when my children decided to spend a long weekend with us. We had 6 adults plus and 5 children between the ages of 8 and 1 and half. Lots of excitement noise laughter, cries and toys in every room in the house including the bathroom. What joys those kids bring.

That’s my update and I do enjoy reading the updates.

6 comments:

  1. Patas, hieven though we were not close friends, I have not forgotten the good old days at the Medical faculty
    I am sorry to hear about your elder brother's fate. To me, you are a real servant of God

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rajan, I don't think I have met Balu although I have met two of your other brothers. All of you are clearly very determined people. Balu, unlike you, had the sense to go to the Reid avenue place rather than that "other one" by the sea!.

    I was amazed to hear that you have started to work again. You are clearly in that place called "Dispensable" because you are "in" there!

    I am sure you and Queelan enjoyed your family get together. I have had the privilege of meeting all your lovely children during my many visits to you.
    I am glad that you were comfortable posting this family update and I like to wish you and your family all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. COMMENT FROM SRIANEE
    Hi Rajan, I am so sorry that it took me so long to add a comment to your family news. I was sorry to hear about your brother’s death, but it appears that he had a “good innings” and went peacefully. We should all be so lucky. I was also amazed to read that you are back at work again. It keeps you out of trouble, I guess! I was pleased to hear that you got together with your kids and grandkids. That’s wonderful. I’m hoping to see my family (a few at a time) starting around Christmas. I have decided that I need to get out and see people. I’ve done everything I can, vaccines, booster shots etc, and I will proceed with caution. It is like driving in a snow storm, snow tires on, and proceeding cautiously! I will share the details of my plans one of these days on the phone with you. All the best to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, Srianee, you are going to to have a tete-a-tete with your old friend,Patas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Srianne, I'm waiting to hear from a chap nick named Cunningham, who lives with his wife in Queensland, Aus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Patas , Good to hear from you . My sympathies on your beloved brother's demise. But I am sure you are comforted by the good memories you have of him and his full and fruitful life and also the fact that he is safe in the arms of Jesus where there is no more pain tears or disability.
    I have not your bro but your cousin Padman was a very close friend. In fact when I went for the job interview at Farnborough Hospital Kent, he was on the interview panel and asked me if I knew you. I am sure that when I said we were batchmates he awarded me extra points !
    Glad you had time with your grands. I am so lucky. ... My daughter lives next door and my son in the upstairs flat so I have all 6 of them with me every day !

    I am glad you are going to work even in a limited way. It certainly keeps you occupied and your brain active. As long as you are sensible and not take on the more stressful work it's fine. I have dropped Obstetric Anaesthesia altogether and confined myself to working with a couple General Surgeons who rarely tackle emergency surgery.
    Take care Patas. May God Bless you and your family

    Suri

    ReplyDelete