Monday, May 31, 2021

Remembrance Day (4)

Remembrance Day (4) - Fond memories of Priya Gunaratna.

Priya (Gunaratna) de Silva – passed away on 8.10.2014

Priya entered the Faculty of Medicine in Colombo in September 1962.  She was educated at Visakha Vidyalaya, Bambalapitiya. There are many previous blog posts in her memory but this is a special collection of tributes from three colleagues who were very close to her.



Chirasri Jayaweera Bandara

Priya was a very good friend of mine and I miss her very much.  She was friendly, helpful and saw the brighter side of everything.

I used to travel to Medical College in a private car and pick up late Priya and the late Kamini from Dickmans Road and Padmini from Isipathana Mawatha. During College days we were in and out of our houses.

When I went to Kandy as Consultant Eye Surgeon, she and her family lived there. We used to visit each other and have meals together. When their younger daughter Anjali ( 6 - 7 yrs old ) had an Eye injury I treated her.

One day in Kandy when I was driving home in the hot sun, suddenly the whole windscreen cracked up like a jigsaw. I just couldn't see to drive. With difficulty, I moved the car to the side and stopped. From nowhere Priya came to my rescue. She helped me to contact Walkers, got the car towed and dropped me at home.

Later when we both came to Colombo we used to visit each other and have meals together.

Priya, Chula her husband, and daughters used to consult me about their eyes at my residence.

My husband Ranjit knew Chula as they worked together in the past.

We attended their daughters’ weddings. The diet was Vegetarian. Sharini the elder one married our batch mate Swarna Vithana's nephew. They live in the USA. Anjali, the younger one married DB Nihalsinghe's son and they live in Australia.

I am in touch with Chula as he and his domestic consult me about their eyes. My son who is a Doctor helped Chula and his domestic's son at Kalubowila hospital.

Pramilla Senanayake

Priya was a cheerful, fun-loving person. I knew Priya at the faculty. However, our friendship was strengthened when she joined the family planning association of Sri Lanka. She was the medical officer at our Bullers Lane clinic. She not only saw the clients who visited the FPA  for sexual and reproductive health services but she took care of the health needs of all the staff and even their families. After clinic patients were seen, Priya would be around attending to the needs of staff members and their families.

She was a tremendous asset to the FPA. Her colleagues loved her. 

On one occasion she was on holiday with her daughter in New York. I too was in New York at the same time. We met up in NY and spent a wonderful afternoon walking around Manhattan window shopping and  reminiscing .

She was a wonderful person and is Sadly missed. 

Swyrie Balendra

Thank you, Speedy and others who organized the Remembrance Day for our dear departed friends, with whom we spent five of our most remembered years. It’s a fitting tribute to our batchmates who were very much a part of our lives at that time. As it normally happens in life we go our own way after a period but still continue to have a special place in our hearts for friends we made along the way.

When it comes to those who have passed on, I have to specially mention Priya who was one of my dearest friends. We continued our friendship till the last days of her life.

I  got to know Priya very early in our Block days when we used to play carrom in the Common room. From that time on we became friends and made it a point to get together whenever time permitted between lectures and Ward Classes. Our names were close enough alphabetically for us to be quite often in the same Ward Class or Study group. I remember the long walks down the corridors of GHC. Invariably we were pulled up for being late to class as we found something interesting enough along the way to stop and have a giggle about. On these jaunts down the corridors, Rosh would join us sometimes and of course, then we were even more late.

I lived on Police Park Avenue and Priya was on De Fonseka Road and that was close enough for us to meet frequently even outside Medical School hours.

Soon after we qualified we were both Bridesmaids for our mutual friend Sriani. Later on
Sriani and Priya both worked at the FPA and as bosses they ran a very efficient outfit even bringing the birth rate in Sri Lanka down significantly!

Priya was kindness personified and by nature a bubbly personality. This was partly why she had so many friends both in Medical School and outside. She played a big part in the activities of her old school Visakha. She was a very useful member of the Organising Committee for our Batch Reunions right from the start. She was full of ideas and was very helpful with the arrangements especially when it came to Entertainment. We will miss her if and when we do have another Reunion.

Needless to say, her illness left her husband Chula and daughters Sharini and Anjali devastated. Priya though handled it with much courage and fortitude. Right from the beginning she took charge of the situation and was directing operations. She bravely battled through for three years or more and even though she hated the chemotherapy that was prescribed to her she continued to have yet another session just so that she would be well enough to visit one of her daughters in New York or Australia. All plans had been made for her and Chula to visit Australia for the birthday of a grandchild but she never made it as she sadly succumbed to her illness.

I miss the long phone calls talking and laughing so much that we drove our husbands mad! It was good to have her around.

15 comments:

  1. Mahendra
    Thank you very much for the effort taken to publish this tribute in memory of our friend Priya. Well done ! Chira

    ReplyDelete
  2. COMMENT BY KUMAR
    Dear Mahen Thank you for posting. The tribute to Priya was very moving

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chira, Swyrie and Pramilla ,
    So lovely to read your personal tributes to Priya. Brings back such happy memories of Kurunegala and internship. I phoned Priya on my visits to Colombo to reminisce the good times and we laughed a lot. She twisted my arm to join in the reunions. I simply cannot believe she is no more.
    May she find the ultimate bliss of Nirvana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Although I did not know Priya too well, the little I knew of her, all the tributes are very well deserved.
    Her elder brother, Rohantha was senior to me at RC.I think he captained the cricket team at the RPS, as well as the Under 14 and Under 16 cricket teams, but was not selected for the 1st Eleven team and therefore did not get cricket colours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Priya was a truly brave and wonderful person and I am so glad that I was able to meet her at the 50th Anniversary meeting and the year before that. She was an exceptional and lovely person.
    The following is her obituary notice.

    DE SILVA - DR PRIYA - Loving wife of Chula (LCR), doting mother to Sharini & Anjali, mother-in-law of Janaka Withana & Mathisha Nihalsingha, adoring grandmother to Gamunu, Kavya, Anagi & Vinod, daughter of the late C.R. Gunaratna PC & the late Monica Gunaratna, loving and loved sister/sister-in-law of the late Janaki & Andy de Silva, Rani & Dr. Parakrama Weerasekera, Rohini & Nihal Abeysekera, Rohantha & Charmaine Gunaratna, Srini & Rohan Karunaratne and Mithila & Shiranee Gunaratna. Cortege leaves 22/2, Nandimitra Place, Colombo 6 at 4 p.m. for Cremation at the General Cemetery Kanatta at 5 p.m. on Saturday, October 11, 2014. (No flowers by request).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Incidentally Priya was one of the first batch-mates I met long before we ever knew about medicine, except what we reluctantly had when we were ill. She spent her holidays in a house owned by her paternal uncle, a lawyer, on Circular Road in Kegalle. This was near our ancestral home where I too spent my holidays. This was long long time ago when we were still a British Colony. She and several other children went to the nearby Park that was so beautifully maintained, to play. She was a regular in Kegalle during the holidays as I recall. I was more keen to fly kites in the park with my cousins. We did recall those years when Priya and I worked in paediatrics as interns. How time has flown!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice story Nihal. I have been told many times "why don't you go and fly a kite" but in a wholly different context! But I do recall flying kites in Galle Face Green in between biting into "issa wade" and "murukku2 and "kadale". The atmosphere was terrific and charged with good humor and fun! The vendors in their little hooded carts with glass sides lit by flaming lamps and the rhythmic sound produced by running a spoon on a line of bottles of saruwath while uttering full throated cries of the bargain products on display.

      Delete
  7. Thank you Speedy for publishing this collection of tributes to Priya. Thanks also to Chira, Pram and Swyrie for your moving write ups about our beloved friend. I was delighted to read Swyrie's contribution . I know you follow the batch blog Swyrie, but you so rarely write in. So it's truly an indication of how fond you were of her.....as indeed we all were .

    Thank you all for the beautiful memories that you rekindled.

    I too have many fond
    memories of Priya. In fact I met Priya in January 1962 when I joined Vishaka V., before I entered Medical College in June that year ( I had to leave Methodist College in Dec 1961 having sat for the A levels as I had spent two years in the 2nd year A level Class being not allowed to sit the previous year as I was underage !)

    So there I was a strange phenomenon of being a New Girl in the A level 2nd year.. Believe me I felt awkward and strange ...away from the famelear atmosphere of Metho. Priya was one of the first to extend a hand of friendship to me and went out of her way to be kind and helpful.

    I am surprised that no one has mentioned her skill in Table Tennis
    She was an All University Colours man ( should I say woman ) who excelled in the game. She had a vicious unreturnable smash that won her many tournaments. In fact she was a valuable member of the All Varsity Combined Table Tennis Team (in which I too was a member)
    that took part in an International University TT Tournament.. the first two rounds were held in the Peradeniya Campus . Unfortunately we did not make it to the next round to make us eligible to go to India for the Quarter finals.. But we had so much fun attending the training camp and then the Tournament itself culminating in the Colours Night .
    As Swyrie has already stated Priya contributed so much to the organization of our batch reunions so full of ideas and energy .

    I kept in close touch with her over the years and miss her very much. It was heart breaking to see her go through so much pain and distress but she kept smiling right to the end. Good bye my dearest friend you will live in our hearts forever.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's good to see you on the blog Suri and for your memories of our dear departed colleague Priya. She was a picture of courage and brave acceptance. It was a pleasure to know her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Suri
    Your tribute to Priya is much appreciated.
    When I went to see Priya once I met Sushila Kanagasabai who had come all the way from U.K. to see her.
    Priya was cheerful, bore everything bravely and looking at the brighter side of everything.
    We are all missing our great friend Priya. We have to accept that life is not eternal. Chira

    ReplyDelete
  10. COMMENT BT SURA FERNANDO
    t was thanks to Chira who prompted me to see the blog spot of May 31st,
    Priya and I were school mates at Visakha Vidyalaya along with her two elder sisters Janaki and Srini who became friends of my two elder sisters.

    Having completed our medical studies , I had very little oppurtunity to meet up with Priya , since Jc and i married soon after and requested a transfer to the salubrious climate of Nuwara Eliya . After a few years we were overseas at UK and Hong Kong for a number of years.

    On our return i joined Asiri medical Hospital in Kirula Road where I continued until my retirement in December 2019.

    My meeting with Priya took place quite a few years prior to that. When Janaki (Priya’s elder sister), was admitted to the medical ICU where I worked, I made contact with Priya when she visited her sister Janaki. I met Priya then, and heard about her own illness in the early stages I presume.

    A couple of weeks later I had a call from Priya ringing me to say that she was in the emergency unit and seeking admission to hospital. I made haste to rush downstairs and helped Priya with getting her settled into the surgical ICU, and realised the gravity of her situation.

    She was a very courageous lady, taking it all in her stride went through the treatment courses really well. Needless to say, I saw her until she returned home to a slow recovery.

    Sometime later she invited us for a dinner at her place and I was glad to note that she looked quite well, up and about, cheerful and happy.

    When the disease took its toll Priya passed away in October 2014, leaving behind her much loved family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read with great interest the array of appreciations brought to the limelight of Priya's 47 yrs of service to humanity. Unlike some of us, she stayed put on Sri Lankan soil.
    I knew Priya as a bespectacled, medium built, with an athletic physique.
    No wonder she excelled in Badminton and netball ending with University colours.
    That blooming alphabet separated us into small groups, confined to study circles.
    I am sure, Priya must be enjoying the life of a seven year old somewhere in the Universe in accordance with the cycle of rebirth.
    I feel sorry in my failure to write about four colleagues from the Ratnapura group on interns.
    They were, DBM Collure,CD Gunathilake,PL Perera and JG Wijetunge.
    I played bridge with JG and Al Haj MHM Cassim during the third or fourth year. JG was my room mate who did Paediatrics& General Surgery. He was dead scarred of Madam Paediatrician, Jayaweera. We did not have time to play bridge, but JG played tennis on off times. JG was fair skinned and neatly dress with white shirt and a pair trouser. I am sure lot of nurses fancied him, but he had none of it.
    I had no contacts after we left Ratnapura, until early eighty, when he turned up with Ranjith Dhambawinna at my flat in Mosely, Birmingham. He was undergoing Post-Grad training in Ophthalmology at New Cross Hospital, Wolverhampton, in Midlands.
    I came to know via Ranjith that JG had succumbed to an incurable illness before his demise.

    DBM Collure was known as "Colla" among his circle of friends. He enjoyed his surgical appointment and one day he showed me the different types surgical knots. Surgery was not my cup of tea from the very onset.
    Contacts were lost as usual, after completion of internship.
    The next and the final time, I met him was in Faculty canteen in early eighty. He had returned with his Fellowship in Anaesthesiology and working in the GHC.I am sure he was not happy at all and migrated to NZ where he succumbed to chronic ill health and ultimate demise.
    PL(Lucien)Perera too was a keen doctor and wasted no time and obtained the Fellowship in Surgery
    I met him at Kalubowila General hospital where he happily examined my sister-in-Law with regard to a lump in the neck. He too suffered from chronic ill health and took away his years of retirement.

    CD Gunathilake, known to us as Desmond was not a very close associate during Faculty days.
    However internship brought us closer and was the only one to do both Surgery & Medicine during the internship. Just before the JVP up rise
    he visited Deniyaya Hospital with Indra Ananda and Kandiah(from a senior batch) to say good bye before his emigration to US alone with Indra.
    I had no contacts with regard to his whereabouts in US. Many years later with the help of the Batch Directory, I was able to contact him via email. He was in active practice an enjoying his work, until his sudden death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathi, Thank you for writing about the 'quiet guys' in our batch! I was in touch with Desmond during our time in NYC, and even attended his wedding in Manhattan. He kept his bride waiting because he and his bestman were stuck in traffic! Once he moved to California we lost touch with each other. By the way, in Ratnapura during our internship I did Medicine with Dr. Balakumaran and Surgery with Dr. Kiriella, so Desmond was not the only one who did that combination. (Perhaps you were simply referring to the guys!) I met JG several times after we graduated and before he fell ill. Lucien attended a few of our reunions. Unfortunately, I didn't see 'Colla' after we left Ratnapura.

      Delete
    2. Sumathi, Thank you for writing about the 'quiet guys' in our batch! I was in touch with Desmond during our time in NYC, and even attended his wedding in Manhattan. He kept his bride waiting because he and his bestman were stuck in traffic! Once he moved to California we lost touch with each other. By the way, in Ratnapura during our internship I did Medicine with Dr. Balakumaran and Surgery with Dr. Kiriella, so Desmond was not the only one who did that combination. (Perhaps you were simply referring to the guys!) I met JG several times after we graduated and before he fell ill. Lucien attended a few of our reunions. Unfortunately, I didn't see 'Colla' after we left Ratnapura.

      Delete
  12. I was happy to read the tributes and comments about our good friend Priya by Swyrie, Chira, Pram, Sura, Suri and Nihal and everyone else. We were friends in Medical College and I remember once that she tried to persuade me to come to Peradeniya with the athletic team for some event even though I could not be even remotely described as an "athlete!" (I didn't go.) I thought that she also participated in track and field events in addition to table tennis, but I may be mistaken. We parted company after we graduated in 1967, but I saw her frequently whenever I visited Colombo. Even when she was undergoing chemotherapy she made an effort to meet us for lunch. She was brave and upbeat throughout her battle with cancer, and always greeted her friends with her dazzling smile!
    The smile that lit up her face is what I remember most about her!

    ReplyDelete