Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Remembrance Day- Final Post 2021 (5)

 REMEMBRANCE DAY 2021– medical batch of 1962- 67

I am sure that colleagues will agree with me that Remembrance Day 2021 has been an unqualified success. My thanks to all who contributed and commented and also the many who read but have been unable to post comments.

I like to end the 2021 day by posting the images of those who have departed and adding a series of further recollections. Those who have not figured in individual posts are by means forgotten. Indeed ALL will remain etched in our memories.  

Our thanks to Lucky and Nihal (ND), the chief architects of this wonderful concept  - Speedy























   Message from Harsha Boralessa

It has been a very moving experience reading the poems, articles, comments and listening to the music, in memory of our dear friends who are no longer with us. Thank you all.

Tilak Dayaratne

I got to know Tilak during our Block days, a friendship which grew with time resulting in him eventually becoming a much loved friend of our family.

One afternoon, Tilak found a five/ten rupee note on the dissecting room floor. The honest boy knocked on the professor’s door. As there was no response, he gently opened the door to find the teacher waking up from his kip. After a couple of questions, the irate Prof concluded that Muniandy (the cleaner) had not swept the floor thoroughly.

Tilak looked the part on his red motor bike sporting dark glasses. Some of his friends referred to me as his pillion rider. He was a talented artist and at the second MB exam, answered some of the questions successfully using diagrams and words.

He had a good voice which was put into good effect at parties after a few drinks. That said, his musicality was not reflected on the dance floor. On one occasion whilst on the dance floor he was treading on his partner’s toes (playing a type of footsie). When the girl complained, he confidently convinced her that it was all her fault.

Quite regularly we used to enjoy a Lion Lager and chips at the Savoy Hotel, chatting about sports, our school days, music and films etc. He occasionally used to elaborated on a couple of female batch mates whom he adored at different times.

Tilak had a very likable personality, reserved and shy at times, a candid friend.

For me the most striking quality was that he was a man of honour, in fact too honourable.


  Suren Iyer

I did not know Suren that well as a batch mate but became a very close friend later on in the UK. A caring and competent GP who was well thought of by his staff and colleagues.

A very sociable and pleasant character. He and his wife, Sweeni, were a very loving couple and attended many Sri Lankan dances. The two of them appeared good on the dance floor, particularly when doing the Cha Cha which was like poetry in motion. At our last reunion in Negombo, he experienced angina whilst dancing. So both of us went to his room and he took GTN which relieved the pain. Despite protests from Swini and us, he returned to the dance floor, continued to have fun with his batch mates and stayed till the very end.

He was very loyal to his alma mater and generously supported the Ananda OBA in the UK financially. A very keen cricket fan and a close friend of Arjuna Ranatunga the Sri Lankan World Cup winning captain.

Message fom A H T Sumathipala (Sumathi)

K.Sundarampillai, 


I had a close relationship with him.

He was my Anatomy dissection partner, and he got me to do the dirty job of dissection. He did not want to get his hands smeared with formaldehyde. He was a very reserved person and had very few friends. Perhaps, I was the only person invited to his home to have a cup of tea on one occasion. His home was very close to the Ladies hostel and the nurse's quarters. He avoided the Law-Medical match and his home was invaded by Anton Ambrose and his crowd. Unfortunately, I lost close contact when he failed at the 2nd MB exam. During my short holiday in Colombo in the early eighties, I heard that he was in private practice somewhere in Kotahena and had MRCP added to his name board. Disaster appeared to have struck him while he was in his surgery and he was buried under the rubble from the collapsed building.

.


BL(Balasuriyage Leelananda) Perera


BL remained a friend of mine during the five years in the faculty and thereafter.

I met him in Nugegoda when he was working in the JMO's unit not far from the Anatomy block and later in Birmingham. He was a GP in Birmingham and used to visit my home. We too visited his home in West Bromwich, not too far away from Birmingham. He enjoyed his Scotch Whiskey. He succumbed to several chronic illnesses and had to take early retirement. His family moved to Scotland and he passed away several years ago.



K. Sri Kantha,


He was my friend from Bloem days who did not do well at exams, but matured to be a successful Anaesthesiologist, with special interest in pain relief. I met him accidentally in a shopping mall in Birmingham City centre and was told that he was undergoing training in Anaesthesiology. He was a Consultant in Sandwell District general for a short period, before emigrating to the US.





Balakrishnan Somasundaram,

He was better known as Soma among us and as Bobby among his British colleagues. He enjoyed his booze during student days and I have seen him drinking undiluted arrack off the bottle. He had a rough time as a practising doctor during his days in Sri Lanka. Fortune struck on emigration to the UK. He opted for Psychiatry as his Speciality of choice and he excelled in his chosen Speciality. He visited us in Birmingham in order to offer Alms in memory of his first son who passed away following a road traffic accident. I have never visited him as there was no invitation to do so. No sooner than he retired he succumbed to a bad fall that took his life away from this world. I hope readers will excuse me if I have inadvertently used any words that could have brought disrespect to the deceased.

 

 Message from Kumar Gunawardane

Desmond Gunatilaka (CD)

He was a  mate from STC. A year junior to me at school. He nursed a secret sorrow,  of which only a few were aware of, “For he “didn’t wear his heart on his sleeve”.  His brother Geoffrey who was in our class died at the age of fourteen from a malignancy. They buried him on the 31st of December 1956, as his parents didn’t want to impinge upon the  New Year.

He wrote to me later about his brother-“Not a day passes without me thinking of him. I cannot get over why this happened so early in life to a near-perfect human being“.
He adjusted better to medical school than me and was a tower of strength to a lot of us. Methodical and consistent in his studies, I should have emulated him. Instead as so astutely, noted by one of my teachers, I worked only under duress. If I had only looked up that word then, I might have mended my ways!

Although quiet, he was well informed on men and matters. Bora playfully dubbed him “News of the World”. We were regulars in the red CTB double-deckers on the Galle road plodding to the Eye Hospital junction. The STC mates Bora, Sydney, CD and I always had lunch together in the Block years and then moved onto the common room. All of us missed out on Billiards, Carrom and other tabletop games.

We drifted away after moving to the Bloem and lost touch after graduation. He had a very successful career as a pulmonologist in the USA. We kept in touch in later years.
May earth lie softly on this good friend.

Message from Rohini Anandaraja (Two wonderful poems from earlier posts)

Manohari Navaratnarajah Shanmuganathan 


Manohari-a maiden fair

Her carefree youth with us did share

though often with a distant air

of her kindness we were ever aware.

 

A gentle soul, so soft of speech

Well mannered, reticent, ever discreet.

Shy as a doe, never into mischief,

Her friendship was a treasure indeed.

 

T'was sad we had to part our ways

On reaching the end of our med school days

Such is life- too short to waste

May her spirit find eternal rest.


Arul (Sivaguru) Balasubramaniam

Arul my dear friend of med school days

So gentle, thoughtful and caring in her ways

Her quiet wisdom, her beauty, her grace

Stay etched in my memory for ever unerased

 

'Tis sad our paths never crossed again,

 With the best of intentions it was too late -

Yet from our brief encounter there was much I gained

From compassion, empathy, sharing - a few to name

To all of the goodness that ran in her veins.

 

My life was enriched by having known her

My love and sympathy to all her family


21 comments:

  1. J.G.WIJETUNGE
    Some of our batch mates mentioned about JG, I like to state a few things about him.
    He was an Eye Surgeon and was in the Council of The Ophthalmological Society of Ceylon when I was President in 1987. Later he was The President of The Ophthalmological Society in 1989. Zita was the President of the Ophthalmological Society of Ceylon in 1990.
    The College of Ophthalmologists of Sri Lanka was formed later in 1992.
    He married late in life. I have been to his house in Wellawatte and met his wife. He and his wife used to come for our annual Banquets.
    He saw Channel patients at Nawaloka Hospital, Colombo. I too did the same and used to meet him there. He spent a lot of time with his Patients by writing down a long note etc. He was a conscientious worker.
    I remember he fell ill whilst driving to Nawaloka Hospital near the Cinnamon Gardens Police Station. Chira

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chira, Sumathy, Bora and Kumar for those memories.
    As this is our last post for remembrance it would be appropriate to say this has been a most successful Remembrance Day when many of us contributed with articles poems and comments and resurfaced many memories from the depths of our archives.
    If ever you have the time do go through some of the past publications on this blog. They are a wonderful memory of people and events. They will indeed bring up a spectrum of emotions.
    We should make every effort to remain in contact through the blog in these our final laps of our journey.
    We must thank Lucky for initiating the blog and Mahen for managing it so very well. We cannot please all the people all of the time. Managing such a public forum is not an easy task as I have found managing my school website. I think working in hospital has taught us well to steer clear of controversy and trouble and tread a middle path.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janaka Wijetunga was my bestman when I married Buddhika in February 1976. I used to play tennis with Janaka regularly during our Final Year at the College House tennis courts. His father was HE Wijetunga, who captained the Royal College cricket team in 1927. Three other members of that team had been JR Wilson, Sydney de Zoysa and Sargo Jayawickrama, who went on to captain the All-Ceylon cricket team.HEW's year we had lost the big match. Few weeks after our wedding, HEW met with a train accident close to our house at Wellawatte and died. I had to break the tragic news to Janaka, that Sunday morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added two beautiful poems written by Rohini Ana and suggested by Srianee and readily agreed by Rohini.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohini
      Those are lovely poems to remember two beautiful people. The words adorn and embellish our memory of Manohari and Arul. Thank you

      Delete
    2. Thank you Rohini for writing these poems which captured the essence of Manohari and Arul. They were both quiet, beautiful souls, dignified in their comportment, unlike some of us! It was great to read these words again and remember them.

      Delete
  5. Chira and Sanath L
    Thank you for those reminiscences of J.G Wijetunge. He was such a courteous and polite gentleman. I recall with much nostalgia the many hours we spent together in the Men's Common Room blabbering "Of shoes and ships and sealing wax
    Of cabbages—and kings".
    J.G liked a girl who was a relative of mine. He waxed lyrical about her beauty. J.G was just too shy to make his intentions known.
    I met him last at Revo Drahman's when we gathered for lunch with MHS Cassim and Manik De Silva. He was happy with his life and as always pleasant company.
    I am so happy we met all but briefly in our journey through life.
    May you attain the Ultimate Bliss of Nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I met Desmond Gunatilaka's younger brother Srilal?, in Galle in the 1980s.
    He was a medical officer at the Central Hospital Galle. Desmond sent me a package full of disposable medical items, which were sparse at that point of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rohini,I remember Arul in our clinical group dressed in glamorous sarees and a pottu.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Janaka married rather late in his life, a long standing friend of his, who was living down the same road as that of Buddhika's in Kotte. When I got married, my father-in-law recognised Janaka readily as he had been a frequent visitor to that house. I think she was a librarian. It was good that Janaka married her, because Janaka was badly demented during the last few years of his life, and he was looked after very well by her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Re. Mahendra Collure
    Mahendra and I were fellow travellers from Nugegoda when we joined Medical School. He often gave me a lift home in his Vespa. We endured the rag and its rituals together. I do remember going for dancing classes in some seedy location in Dehiwela with Lucky Abey before a Colours night. He was an occasional billiards player and played a game of Table Tennis with me to while away the time. He had tremendous generosity, compassion and kindness which shone through in whatever he did or said. My abiding memory of Mahendra are the chats we had in the common room as he too belonged to my group for ward classes and appointments. He spoke no evil, said no evil and did no evil. He was most forgiving as he understood human nature more than most.
    Out of the blue I had an email from Mahendra after reading one of my articles in the Sri Lankan papers. There after we communicated until he retired and went to be near his daughter in Wellington.
    I wish I had the good fortune to meet him after our last goodbye in 1967. Sadly our paths never crossed.
    His lovely smile and humorous banter are memories for us all
    May he find the ultimate Bliss of Nirvana

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don Bradman Mahendra Collure was with me from 1948-1967, at RPS, RC and CMC. At the RPS,either Mahendra or myself won the Class Prize or the Prize for General Knowledge (given for the 2nd best student), every year from 1948-1953. I think he lived down Devale Road in Nugegoda/Kotte.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don Bradman Mahendra Collure was with me from 1948-1967 at RPS,RC and CMC.
    At RPS either Mahendra or myself won the Class Prize or the Prize for General Knowledge (given for the 2nd best student), every year. I think he lived down Devale Road in Nugegoda/Kotte.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks to everyone for sharing their memories of their departed friends on this Remembrance Day (week?). Mahen, thank you for steering us through this effort. It was so gratifying to see so many people participating and sending in their memories. It has been my experience that I have deeper connections with the classmates that I keep in touch now in contrast to the brief contact I had in Medical College. (We didn't have a lot of time, did we?) This blog has played a major role in keeping those friendships alive. Let's treasure that.
    There are a few more people I would like to remember before we wind up the Remembrance Day posts. One of them is Suvendrini Ratnavale (Gunesegaram) who was a year ahead of me at Ladies' College. The transfer to Colombo Medical Faculty was not her choice, as we all know. (There is no need to go into those details now!) She kept a very low profile while she was with us in Colombo. She told me later that she never really felt that she belonged with us, and never really made an effort to connect, except with just a few people. I think it was her way of protesting! I reconnected with her when we were both working as pathologists on the opposite coasts in the US. I visited her once in Las Vegas, and she flew over to Connecticut many years ago. We had a lovely time, because while she was with me she also met several old friends from Ladies' College days. We shared our many common interests on the phone. After she retired she started taking classes on Shakespeare at the local University. She was really enjoying life and we were discussing the possibility of another cross country visit when she was diagnosed with cancer. Throughout it all we kept in touch on the phone discussing politics (mostly venting about Trump!) and other stuff that friends discuss. She handled her illness with courage, making wise decisions about treatment. Because of my frequent trips to visit my family abroad I never got around to visiting her at the end, which is something I really regret. She passed away peacefully with close friends and family by her side. I believe Harshi Bora was one who was with her at the end.
    Two other people I'd like to mention are Kitha Wimalaratne and Sidath Jayanetti. Both two very talented guys, excelling in cricket and rugby respectively. In addition Sidath entertained us on many occasions with his expertise on the piano. Both of them emigrated to the US, so I saw them quite a few times after graduation. Kitha was a "strong silent' type who visited our apartment in NYC many times before he moved to California. Although Sidath lived in Virginia Beach he and his wife made an effort to travel northward whenever there was a gathering of friends. I enjoyed meeting them on their frequent visits.
    It was a privilege knowing them. May they Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Srianee
    Thanks for the memories.
    Harshi and Lalitha (Peradeniya) were at the bed side when Sue passed away peacefully.Two of her favourite songs were,"Sloop John B" and "North to Alaska".Her favourite vocalist was Elvis, I was told that at the Sanghamitta hall,occasionally she used to stand on the bed and sing "Jailhouse Rock" pretending to strum the guitar.

    I did not know Sue at medical college(no surprise) but as she was a close friend of Harshi, during her visits to the UK, she used to come and spend a few days with us. She was pleasant and interesting,I particularly liked the way she spoke Sinhala.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora, thank you for sharing the funny story of Sue impersonating Elvis and playing the 'air guitar!' I had not heard that before. She did have a lovely voice and sang quite well. Later on, I teased her for being a fan of Willy Nelson, who is the guy who moves around with a cloud of Marijuana smoke swirling over his head! I think she had attended one of his concerts and considered him an American Icon! (He is a good singer and songwriter.)
      Most of all, as you said Bora, Sue was an interesting person and one could have very interesting conversations with her. I really miss those phone calls we had in the years before she passed away.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bora and Srianee
    Like Bora I knew Sue R only by sight and what a beautiful sight she was. Always elegantly dressed Sue carried herself with such poise and dignity. Tall and graceful it was as if Sue had just stepped off the catwalk. Although reserved in the faculty Sue was friendly and seemed happy. We often saw her chatting and smiling in the lecture theatres and the long corridors of the GHC.
    I was so sad to hear she had passed on.
    May her Soul Rest in Peace

    ReplyDelete
  16. I didn't know Sue at all. When I read how she "occasionally she used to stand on the bed and sing "Jailhouse Rock" pretending to strum the guitar" as related by Bora, I realised what a lovely person she must have been. Anybody who stands on a bed and pretends to strum the guitar stands high (even on a chair!)in my estimation. She must have been a truly fun-loving person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are two incidents regarding Somasunderam, which I am unable to post on the Blog, because those were so serious and disgraceful. If anyone had reported him to the SLMC,he would have been definitely struck off the register. That is the most probable reason for him to leave Sri Lamka. GROBR! When Lalitha Mendis was the President of the SLMA, Somasunderam was listed as an invited speaker. I informed Lalitha regarding his past mis-deeds and his name was accordingly removed from the list. However he participated in the sessions and that was the last time I met him. I gathered that he had a fall dowm a staircase in his own house, when he was dead drunkand succumbed to the injuries.
    If anyone is interested in knowing about his mis-deeds, please contact me via email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath
      I had just 2 occasions to meet Soma. One was when he invited a number of our batchmates for a reunion somewhere up North near a famous golf course. This was perhaps in the early 1990's .LPJM and I drove up together. He organised it brilliantly and was a wonderful host. We had a jolly good time. I remember Mahendra G was there as was Sydney Seneviratne and Balakumar
      The second time was when he did a locum in a hospital near to where I lived. When he phoned me I invited him home for dinner. We both drank far more than was good for us. After a few days he called me to his locum quarters nearby for a drink and a chat.
      On both occasions we had a great time. At no time did I feel uncomfortable for what he said and did in my presence. In the faculty he was a bit of a mad hatter but no more than some of us.

      Delete