Saturday, May 29, 2021

Remembrance day posts (3)

 Sunil R de Silva – In memory of those glorious five years

Messages from Nihal (ND) Amarasekera (1)

Sunil was the son of Walwin A de Silva, CCS and former Vice Chancellor of the University of Ceylon and the nephew of Dr Colvin R de Silva, Politician, Lawyer and one of the founder members of the LSSP. Sunil had his education at Royal College Colombo and entered the Faculty of Medicine Colombo in 1962. He qualified as a doctor in 1967. After serving his year as an intern at the General Hospital Galle he left for the USA. Sunil was tragically killed in a road traffic accident in 1976. I consider it an immense privilege to have spent those five years with him as medical students at an exciting and idealistic time of our youth.

Sunil de Silva was a cultured gentleman, one of the best I’ve met during my years in the faculty. As I roll back the years trying to create an image of him in my mind what stands out is the calmness he always showed despite the stress and the anxiety that was endemic in the faculty of medicine. Nothing ruffled him and he never showed any histrionics. His surname being closer to mine, alphabetically, we came into contact often and remained friends all through the 5 years.

Sunil was ever present in the Men’s Common Room. If my memory serves me well, he owned a Honda 50 motorbike on which he arrived early to book a game of billiards. He then spent his entire free time enjoying cups of tea chatting with friends, playing bridge and table tennis. My abiding memory of Sunil is his boundless wit and humour with a poker face. After the busy morning ward rounds I recall with much nostalgia the regular, hilarious and comical dialogues he had with Asoka Wijeyekoon and Chanaka Wijesekera over cups of tea in the Men’s Common Room. Every sentence was rib ticklingly funny. Once there was an almighty kerfuffle close to the billiard table with Sunil at the centre of it. He was maintaining he does not have a brother. His brother’s classmates around him vehemently disagreed. All this was hilariously funny. There was plenty of friendly banter, arguments and counterarguments before we all departed for our 11am lecture. On our return the arguments continued unabated when finally Sunil acceded with a rare broad smile saying “I was just testing the Laws of Probability”. He was a master of sarcasm, irony and wit.

Sunil came from the upper echelons of society with a strong academic background but was resolutely down to earth. This showed even in the way he dressed. He had the remarkable ability to move with equal ease with the bourgeoisie and the proletariat, a trait inherited from his illustrious uncle Colvin R de Silva. He made many friends in the faculty and by his very nature had no enemies. Sunil was soft-spoken, self-effacing and sober. His lifestyle was modest and unpretentious. He was exceptionally kind to everyone and treated all with courtesy and respect. Sunil never entertained any of that frivolous gossip which was rampant in the university.  We were all just out of our teenage years and showed our emotions easily, but not Sunil. I never saw those moments of sentimentality in him. Perhaps he masked them skilfully with his distinctive poker face.

He was not a run of the mill medical student. There was something very special about him. Sunil was in many ways an enigma. I use the word as a compliment, being a person with a quiet demeanour with a certain mystery surrounding his persona. As medical students in the 1960’s those were our heady days of youth enjoying a bohemian lifestyle. He never took the easier path of following the masses. His views were always well-considered but often unconventional.  Although peaceful he was no pushover but always stuck to his principles. He wasn’t keen on politics and religion. Cigarettes were a fashion accessory then, but he never smoked. Being teetotal, alcoholic parties were not his scene. To my recollection, he never joined in the boozy evenings in the Common Room, the frolics during the Law-Medical match, Colours Nights and the Final year trip. But he remained a popular, sought after friend, well-liked and respected by all.

As we all recall, in those 5 years there was an enormous amount of cramming to be done. Sunil rarely spoke of his work schedule but had the intelligence and the discipline to sail through the examinations. He feared no one and no situation. From the signatures and revisals to ward work and examinations, life was stressful. There were times our teachers treated us with such derision and disdain, it hurt us deep within. He uncomplainingly took it all in his stride.

This is not an attempt to deify Sunil R de Silva. I am certain he had some of the faults we all possess as fallible humans. But I just cannot recall any.

When I bade farewell on that fateful day in 1967 in the plush lobby of the faculty of medicine, I never knew I will not see Sunil again. His early demise brought great sadness. Although we were together just for 5 years it is as if I’ve known him all my life. I would have loved to see him age like me, suffer the same indignities of the ‘Athey Paye Rudawa’, taking a pharmacy of tablets to stay alive, while showering love to the grandchildren. We could have then compared notes how life has treated us since those halcyon days. I can imagine him wearing his poker face, now marked with lines and furrows, just like mine. Pardon me for capturing the tragedy of old age.

He may have a chuckle reading this narrative, wagging his finger at me.

Sunil was a gem in a world of pebbles. His was a short life well lived. I am grateful for his friendship. To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die.

When I think of Sunil, I’m reminded of a poem I learnt as a child that matched his persona perfectly:

Some go silently into the night
walk through the park of our humanity
with breath that parts no air -
steps that bend no grass -
disturbing nothing as they pass.

May you attain the Ultimate Bliss of Nirvana


(2) Some Memories of my Friends

Nihal (ND) Amarasekera

 There is a lasting emptiness as I think of those who were close to me and now have departed this world. We had a happy band of medics travelling daily from Hunupitiya to Maradana by train. Bernard Randeniya, Razaque Ahamath and 2 from our junior batch Ananda Cooray and Ananda Perera. Sadly none of them are alive today. Bernard , Razaque and I studied together in an airy classroom at St Anthony’s Wattala. We kept in touch after we qualified until the ‘bitter end’. They were such wonderful jolly company. We never missed a Colours Nights and the Block Nights and the many “Bull Hooches” in the Mens Common Room. I am so happy I was able to entertain Bernard at my home in Letchworth. He was a generous host to me and my family while he was Medical Superintemdent at Kalutara and also Director at Maharagama Cancer Institute. 

In Kurunegala HN Wickramasinghe was my co-worker in paediatrics. He was a big man with a large heart and a very gentle soul despite his competitive sporty background. A memory that stands out is our visit to the Kurunegala Rest House to celebrate our first payday. That was a long night. W.Rajasooriyar and I were together in the H.O’s  quarters. He was teetotal and tolerated our indiscretions and cared for our hangovers with his own supply of paracetamol. We connected again in the UK when he was an anaesthetist in the north. He seemed happy with his life. 

Priya Guneratne and I worked in paediatrics as interns in Kurunegala. I couldn’t have wished for a better colleague. She was caring as she was hardworking and looked after the children with such love and thoughtfulness. She was ever willing to help out colleagues doing their busy oncalls at night. Priya was such good company with a fine collection of stories and anecdotes to keep us all amused. I will always remember her ever-present smiling face.

Tall ,dark and smart, Tudor Wickramarachchi was an explosive presence in our batch. We soon learnt never to provoke him. He was in Kurunegala for internship and became a live wire in the Ambaruk Sevana Quarters. There was a party every weekend that pulled in the crowds. We belted out C.T Fernando songs until the wee hours of the morning. Tudor knew all the words but sang a different melody. His exuberance lit up the quarters. I had the good fortune to work with Tudor for 6 months when I got to know him better. He had an easy-going attitude to work but had great rapport with his patients and they loved him. Tudor became a respected pathologist in Bristol. When I met him in London, he was a totally changed man, avuncular and full of good advice. I nearly fell off my chair when he refused a drink. 

Debonair Sidath Jayanetti too was resident at the Ambaruk Sevana in Kurunegala when he arrived after internship. He was a popular medic and a charming friend who livened up our lives at those parties. 

During my sojourn at the Central Blood Bank I was ever so fortunate to be with Sivakumar Vedavanam. I remember with great affection our many evenings spent at the Health Department Sports Club at Castle Street. Although he never spoke about religion Veda was always philosophical about the ups and down in our lives. He was wonderful company and a most kind and helpful friend. I am eternally grateful I had Veda for company at a time when there was a  great deal of turmoil in my life. I can still recall his pastoral advice. We often travelled together on our trips to collect blood for the bank. I feel so sad we never had the opportunity to meet in the UK although he was no more than 45 minutes drive away from me.

14 comments:

  1. I welcome some more personal recollections of our deceased collogues. Please post as a comment and I shall gather them and post as a fresh collection so that we have a good collection of snippets from colleagues'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nihal, This is a very fitting tribute to Sunna, elegantly expressed . Thank you .My lasting memory of Sunna which I have posted in a comment to Srianee I shall paste here -
    “ I had the good fortune to get to know Sunna during my internship and learn first-hand of the interesting person he was. The vision of Sunna which has remained in my memory since our last days in med school, is of him carrying his mother like one would carry a child from his car to the physiotherapy department when she was unwell .I was overtaken by the love and compassion he was capable of. I said not a word to him about this at any time, but will treasure this memory of him always.
    May he be blessed wherever he may be.”
    Thank you also for sharing your memories of our other colleagues who were close to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohini
      Thank you for the kind comment and your memories of Sunna

      Delete
    2. Nihal, thank you for this lovely tribute to Sunna. He was very low-key and so genuine. I remember visiting him with my whole family when he was working in Pittsfield, Massachusetts, probably in 1973 or 1974. He played a recording by Buffy Saint Marie for us. (One of her more famous songs is "Universal Soldier")

      Delete
    3. Nihal, I also love the photo of Sunna that you selected. Thanks

      Delete
    4. Srianee
      That photo was selected by Sunna's brother, Manik when I sent him the article for publication. I too think the photo captures his persona perfectly. It brings him back to life

      Delete
  3. Thank you Nihal for the excellent tributes to Sunna et al, which are very well deserved.
    Whwn I went for the interview to join the Medical Faculty, Walwin de Silva, who was the VC,chaired the panel. After the interview was over and when I was walking out, Walwin de Silva whispered into my ear and asked me "who plays more billiards, Sunil or you?".Apparently, I would have mentioned billiards as an extra-curricular activity in my appication. I was selected and I assumed duties on a very auspicious day, which was on the 1st of April, 1969. The rest is,as some wuld say, is history!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sanath
    I well remember your billiards in the Faculty. If my memory serves me well you won a prestigious tournament despite a strong field of seniors while I was spectator willing our batch-mate to win. There were nail biting moments!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal, I was the Runner-up to Kiththa Wimalaratne, in our Final Year. Next year I won the title at the Health Department Sports Club, annual tournment. I beat Selvaraja (Sushila Kanagasabai's husband),in the Final and one Perera(former champion), in the semi-final. Later I represented the HDSC in inter-club tournaments, in 1968,1969 and 1970.The other members of the team were, Halim Sheriffdeen, Narendra Wijemanne and one other.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THIS IS FROM KUMAR WHO HAD PROBLEMS POSTING COMMENTS
    Dear Nihal, Rohini, Bora , Srianee ,Zita
    I was moved very much by the comments on Sunna. Nihal has written at length of our mutual friend who was very special. As was said, he was deeply caring of his friends, and found time to meet them or write ,whenever he could.
    One of my treasured possessions is the bundle of his letters carefully preserved by my father. I gave the originals to Manik, but kept back copies.
    Rohini has confided to us of an incident ,revealing his filial love.There were hidden depths some of which we were unaware of.
    Tilak D too was special. Bora was very close to him ; I made his acquaintance through B.He was a good man ,who was dealt a bad hand by fate;he deserved better.
    Rohini, your poem was brilliant from beginning to end. The first and last verses were very poignant to me.That you took the time to write this ,in a period of immense personal turmoil speaks volumes.
    Zita Your “Le Onde “ was so beautiful with the moving images of our mates.
    All of our class mates were unique in their own way.It was the pressure, of studies ,and other issues that made us move in small circles.
    Thank you all for keeping ,the mates who have left us ,alive.
    As the great Persian poet ,Rumi says “ the sun and moon sets ,but they are not gone”
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been reading the comments that many of our classmates have posted and have enjoyed the memories that everyone has shared. It is too bad that while we had our noses buried in books while in Medical College we only had time to make friends with those who happened to sit near us in those cavernous lecture halls, or shared our experiences while on clinical assignments. It is only after we graduated that we seemed to have really connected with some of our classmates when our paths crossed. I detect an undercurrent of regret in some of the comments about not staying in touch with people. This idea of "A Remembrance Day" is brilliant because it makes one realize how important these connections were and still are for those of us who are still alive and kicking! I suspect it was Nihal, Mahen and/or Lucky who thought of it. (Take a bow guys!)
    So I have a bit of advice for those of us who are still around. If you regret having lost touch with someone, send a letter, or an email or pick up the phone and surprise them! They will be be delighted. (There is a Batch Directory that Lucky Abey has published.) Just do it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nihal, I never tire of reading your excellent articles whether it be about a batch mate or an event or some prank you were part of. It is so good to go back on these things which in sum total form a large part of the fun we had in those unforgettable batch years and which carried on in the following years marked by our get togethers on land mark years and now in the last few years by our writings on the Blog where we admit, confess, and own up memorable tid bits which together form a large part of the fun of belonging to Batch '62. Well done, and keep writing Nihal! We so enjoy these little pearls which roll off from your pen.Zita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Zita
    Thank you. Glad to have you back on the blog after the technical glitches. So lovely to see a full house on Remembrance Day.
    Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Razaque Ahamath was a regular contributor of endless humour to our blog. It was often difficult to make out if he was serious or just joking. Sometimes the humour was close to the surface even risque. I wrote an open letter to him on the 15th of March 2015 when I heard he has been ill recently. This has appeared in the Blog before but I wish to share it again
    An Open Letter to Razaque

    To Razaque Ahamat

    If I have spelt your name wrong, I know you will forgive a senior citizen.

    I hope the atrocious winter weather of snow and storms in Dundee, Scotland didn’t dampen your spirit. You live in one of the most picturesque parts in the UK near the Highlands and Islands much closer to the Arctic ice caps than anyone else in our batch. With your affable manner and charm I am not surprised you have made friends in your neighbourhood who would offer you a whisky and company. After all, you are in the land of the amber nectar.

    It seems so long ago we were fellow daily travellers from Hunupitiya to Maradana by train with ‘Claude’ Bernard. We never had the privilege to give our seat to a pretty girl as we never had a seat ourselves in all the 5 years.

    We three studied together in a class room at St Anthony's, Wattala. As I have mentioned in this Blog before, you were there with us only for the chat, sandwiches and Lanka Lime. When it came to reading, you quickly disappeared into the night saying you had an important appointment. I was the only non-old boy at your old boys lunch at St Anthony's. The three of us had an undignified exit from the event as we were carried like corpses to lie in the lawn outside until we sobered up. I had to weave a complicated story for my parents to explain my unsteady gait and disheveled look.

    Being a Malay household, we enjoyed enormously your mum’s cooking. Although you never fasted during Ramazan you celebrated the end of the fast – Eid-Ul-Fitr with a huge feast with friends and family. The irony of it all amused us no end. Whenever I have watalappan, I am reminded of those wonderful Malay feasts of long ago.

    I recall the many Block Nights and Colours Nights when we enjoyed the evening with Claude Bernard’s in-laws providing the food and drinks. They even brought a flask of soup. We loved the good life, friendships and the camaraderie enormously. Those years as bohemian medical students are priceless memories. Time passed swiftly and relentlessly. It all ended with the Final year trip about which much has been written. I wasn’t sober enough to recall any of it. A week of boozing must have been like placing a lighted stick of dynamite in the liver. We bade our farewells in 1967 and our paths never crossed until we met again in the United Kingdom in the mid 1970’s.

    Life was hectic in the UK caring for our families and carving up a career. Studying and examinations were an enormous challenge with a young family at home. We overcame the odds and you became a haematologist and I proceeded to a life in the basement. Our paths crossed again when we met at the London reunion of our batch in the 1990’s. You looked more rounded with your Scottish Kilt and it was a great privilege to meet Farina. After that brief encounter we parted never to meet again in person. I last contacted you when you were on a Locum tenens in Auckland, New Zealand, ebullient and full of life as ever.

    I am sorry to hear of your health issues but hope the pump, the electrics and the plumbing are functioning better now. I admire your light hearted approach and attitude to the many adversities you have faced recently. You are indeed an inspiration to us. I hope the National Health Service will provide the comfort and the care you richly deserve. Keep writing Razaque as we love to hear about your perils and pleasures. Meanwhile, mind your hands and don’t let them stray !!

    With my very best wishes

    Nihal D Amerasekera alias ND

    ReplyDelete