Friday, May 7, 2021

Bora's Banter

 
Bora wants to share some really funny Puns with us. For those Pun-dits who have heard these before, please read it again, it is worth the Pun-ishment!  Some of these are well known but it is always good to re-visit them and have a good laugh, because as Bora says, “laughter is the best medicine”.

Speedy

 How does an attorney sleep?

First, he lies on one side,

then he lies on the other side.

 *******

I have a few jokes about unemployed people,

but none of them work.

 ******

How do you make holy water?

You boil the hell out of it.

 ******

Will glass coffins be a success?

Remains to be seen.

 ******

What’s the difference between a hippo and a zippo?

One is really heavy and the other is a little lighter.

 ******

Two windmills are standing in a wind farm.

One asks, “What’s your favourite kind of music?”

The other says, “I’m a big metal fan.”

 ******

Hear about the new restaurant called Karma?

There’s no menu - you get what you deserve.

******

I went to buy some camouflage trousers yesterday,

but couldn't find any.

******

What do you call a bee that can’t make up its mind?

A maybe.

 ******

I tried to sue the airline for losing my luggage.

I lost my case.

******

When everything is coming your way,

you're in the wrong lane.

******

A cross-eyed teacher

couldn’t control his pupils.

 ******

She had a photographic memory,

but never developed it.

 ******

Is it ignorance or apathy that's destroying the world today?

I don't know and don't really care.

 ******

I wasn’t originally going to get a brain transplant,

but then I changed my mind.

******

Which country’s capital has the fastest-growing population?

Ireland, Every day it’s Dublin.

 ******

My ex-wife still misses me.

But her aim is starting to improve.

 ******

The guy who invented the door knocker

got a no-bell prize.

 ******

I saw an ad for burial plots, and I thought:

“That’s the last thing I need!”

 ******

Need an ark?

I Noah guy.

******

I used to be indecisive;

now I'm not so sure.

******

Sleeping comes so naturally to me,

I could do it with my eyes closed.     

******

What did the grape say when it got stepped on?

Nothing - but it let out a little whine.

 ******

What do you call a super articulate dinosaur?

A Thesaurus.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

You’re not completely useless,

you can always serve as a bad example.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I broke my finger last week.

On the other hand, I’m okay.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't spell part backwards.

It's a trap.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the best thing about living in Switzerland?

Well, the flag is a big plus.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you hear about the guy who got hit in the head with a can of soda?

He was lucky it was a soft drink.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To the mathematician who thought of the idea of zero.

Thanks for nothing!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------           

Son: "Dad, can you tell me what a solar eclipse is?"

Dad: "No sun."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My math teacher called me average.

How mean!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clinic Receptionist: “Doctor, there's a patient on line that says he's become invisible".

Doctor: “Well, tell him I can't see him right now."

25 comments:

  1. Hi Bora, these are all great! Thanks, you made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welldone Bora,There is plenty of humour and one can relax and lower his/her blood pressure by reading through the contents.One of the jokes of the two famous Ronnies,I always remember is about the Mastermind programme that they held few years ago.Small Ronnie was the competitor and Big Ronnies was the conductor.Small Ronnie was asked to tell the difference between a donkey and an ass.His answer was "One is a Cabinet Minister and the other one is a Trade unionist.I do not think there is anything else other than the answer given,especially when we compare with SriLankan Politicians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Witty! Funny! I have never heard them before, and they are unique! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bora, I enjoyed your puns. A lexophile is a lover of words and there is an annual competition. Here are some of the submissions,
    You can tune a piano but you can't tuna fish.
    To write with a broken pencil is pointless.
    I changed my IPoods name to Titanic and it is syncing now
    England does not have kidney bank but it has a Liverpool
    Haunted French pancakes give me the crepes
    The girl said she recognised me from the Vegetarians Club , but I have net met herbivore
    I know of a guy who is addicted to brake fluid, but he says he can stop any time
    A thief who stole a calendar got twelve months
    I got some batteries that were given free of charge
    A dentist and a manicurist married. Thereafter they fought tooth and nail
    A will is a dead giveaway
    With her marriage she got a new name and a dress
    Police were summoned to a day-care centre wher a three year old was resisting a rest
    Did you hear about the fellow whose entire left side was cut off? He is all right now
    A bicycle cannot stand alone, it's two tyred
    The guy who fell into an upholstry machine is fully recovered
    When she saw her first strands of grey hair, she thought she would dye
    Acupuncture is a job well done. That is the point of it
    When you got a bladder infection, urine trouble
    When chemists die, they barium
    I stayed up all night to see where the sun went and then it dawned on me
    I am reading a book about anti0gravity. I just can't put it down
    didn't like my beard at first and then it grew on me
    If you don't pay your exorcist, you can get repossessed
    Those who get too big for their pants will be totally exposed in the end
    If you jump off a Paris bridge, you are in Seine

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was a great collection Sanath! Let us hope others too add more to the list. Does anybody know of any Sinhalese or Tamil puns? Or does the language construction not permit it? there are what are called bilingual puns such as -"What did the computer order from the vending machine?" "Saftware." Saft is the German word for juice.

    Puns are a special form of humor based on double meanings. Puns are sometimes nicknamed “the lowest form of humor” and often greeted with groans, but in fact, the language knowledge needed to understand a pun is very sophisticated (Pollack 2011). Because they require processing the sound and meaning of words twice, puns demand considerable language agility

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a comment to Sanath. I am amazed at how many such witty, double meaning, jokey sayings there are and somehow they have escaped my notice until I reached this ripe old age. It now makes me want to write some myself! Zita

      Delete
  7. Loved the puns - Bora, Sanath and not the least Mahen for the introductory puns !
    all most enjoyable - Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was reading Bora's Banter and was laughing gazing at the desktop monitor. Mangala had watched me and had thought my condition had deteriorated after my recent illness. Fortunately, it was not the case!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Bora,Sanath,Mahen et al.Hilarious
    I’ve picked these from the internet.
    1) Crazy wife says to husband ,that moose are falling from the sky.Husband says it’s reindeer.
    2) Can February March ?.No but April May
    3) Smaller babies may be delivered by a work.Heavier ones need a crane.
    4)I was wondering why the ball was getting bigger.Then it hit me.
    5)What do you use to cut a Roman Emperor’s hair ? A pair of Caesars.
    6)Which country’s capital has the fastest growing population? Ireland
    Every day it’s Dublin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good ones Kumar! A few more:
      Teacher: Tell me something that conducts electricity.
      Student: Why, er…
      Teacher: Yes, wire! Now name a unit of electrical power.
      Student: A what?
      Teacher: Yes, a watt! Very good.

      Two peanuts were walking down the street, and one was a salted.
      (assaulted).

      What travels faster, hot or cold?
      Hot. You can always catch cold.

      What did the road say to the bridge?
      Answer: You make me cross

      Delete
  10. Apologies.3) Work should read stork.

    ReplyDelete
  11. NOTE FROM SPPEDY
    Bora is keen to clarify ownership for this fun Pun feast piece.
    I received an email with the puns which I thought was sent by Bora (Harsha). It was very funny and I wanted to share with the Batch and posted it without his knowledge. Ideal for Bora's Banter, I thought.

    Bora saw it on the blog and realised that it was actually sent to me by Harshi and not Harsha!

    He wants to clarify this and make the correct attribution. Bora cannot take credit for it although he had a lot of fun reading the puns.

    The misunderstanding was because Harsha and Harshi have the same email address.
    Moral of the story: Don’t wear your wife’s clothes and vice versa!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Medical puns

    "I tried to look up impotence on the Internet, but nothing came up."

    He was wheeled into the operating room, and then had a change of heart."

    I went to the library to get a medical book on abdominal pain. Somebody had ripped the appendix out

    Statistically, nine out of ten injections are in vein

    What did one tonsil say to the other tonsil? "Did you hear? The doctor's taking us out tonight.

    Why are pediatricians always agitated? Because they have little patients!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mahen
    Thanks for clarifying and also for taking the initiative to post the collection of puns on the Blog.They were very punny and funny.It appears to have gone down well with our core group and produced a lot of therapeutic laughter.You have to take the credit for this and not me. Not certain who collected these Puns together maybe Mr PUN-ditharatne.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Srianee, Sumathy ,Zita ,Lucky and Rohini
    Glad that you enjoyed the Puns,credit to mahen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kumar and Sanath
    Enjoyed your Puns.Keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bora,Kumar and Mahen, I think all of you are real 'Pun-dits"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath, does P after Sanath stand for Pandit! Sounds good doesn't it. Mahaarchariya Sanath Pundit Lamabadusuriya!

      Delete
  17. Sumathi, are there Sinhala puns or is a pun a western invention?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mahen, Thank you very much for the excellent suggestion. P stands for Punsara; a bit too late to change it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bora
    Thank you for your Bora's Banter which I enjoyed very much.How do you store all these puns in your head? Amazing !
    Thanks not only Bora but also Sanath, Kumar and Mahendra for your valuable contributions.
    I must say that this is the ideal time to publish this during this Corona Lock down period where we are indoors most of the time.
    I agree that laughter is the best Medicine, for us the retired doctors!
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Chira
    Glad you enjoyed the puns and for the kind words.To be honest I did not contribute anything but I enjoyed the puns too.An earlier post by Mahen explains what happened.Agree laughter is therapeutic,keep safe.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear All, I do not carry all these snippets in my head. Whenever I come across something interesting, I store it in my Apple phone and retrieve it when required. I teach my students many things other than paediatrics,such as histroy of medicine, geography, history, sports etc. There are maps of the world,Sri Lanka and Greater Anuradhapura area in my tutorial room. When a student from Moneragala, presents the history of a patient from Galenbindunuwewa or Kahatagasdigiliya, I request the student to locate it on the relevant map, thereby updating their knowledge of Sri Lankan geography,for the entire group of 40 students. I do the same after returning from abroad. When I returned home after a tour of Peru, in February 2020, I asked a student to locate Peru and she was focussing on the Middle East!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Everyone, I am enjoying this 'punny' exchange. Unfortunately, I never remember jokes and cannot contribute any to this collection. When I try to relate a joke I seem to forget the punch line!!
    Oh, well...

    ReplyDelete