Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Desmond Gunatilake

It is with much sadness that I share this bit of news. Our colleague Desmond Gunatilake has passed away. He was living in San Jose, CA and I last met him at my brother's place in San Jose. He also invited me to his place for dinner on that same trip. His sister-in-law Chandra Silva who was also in our batch told me that Desmond was having severe allergic problems. He had apparently died suddenly.

On my first visit to the US in 1974, I stayed with him in Coney Island, NY for a few days. He was then doing his Residency at Coney Island Hospital. I still remember him taking me around NY City in his red Datsun 120Y.

May he Rest in Peace.

3 comments:

  1. I am deeply saddened to hear about Desmond's demise.We did Internship at Ratnapura,alone with 10 other batch-mates.He came all the way with Indra to see me at Deniyaya,just before the Insurrection,in 1971.I contacted him via email,couple of years ago.He was in good spirit and in full-time work.
    May his soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember him well. Being a "G" we sat close to each other in the Physiology Lecture Theatre. I see a tall chap in glasses and a nice smile when I think of him. I had lost contact with him after he went to the USA. A sad loss indeed, My commiserations to his family.

    ReplyDelete