Sunday, February 11, 2024

Asoka Wijeyekoon's Funeral Ceremony

Asoka Wijeyekoon's Funeral Ceremony 11th Feb 2024

At Jayaratne Funeral Hall on the opposite side of the  road from Borella Kanatta entrance

Pictures extracted from Live broadcast on YouTube.

REPORT: From Srianee Dias. (Thanks very much for sending this report- Speedy)

“Just returned from Aśoka’s funeral ceremony.  Pram, Lama and I were the only ones there.  I got a chance to talk to Sanjaya and Bhatiya, who seemed to be very nice guys.  They have been checking the blog and were very appreciative of the comments, Nihal’s eulogy and your (Mahendra’s)  ‘Ode to Lubber.’  Sanjay read the Ode!  He suggested that friends and relatives should visit the blog!!!  We may have people from Australia and UK checking in!”

 











4 comments:

  1. I am glad that Srianee, Pram and Sanath Lama were there. I watched the live YouTube broadcast (which will be available for some time). I was struck by the likeness of Sanjaya to Lubber- almost a carbon copy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwqKomz9Z-M. (You will need to copy the link and paste on your browser)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahen, I was struck by the likeness too! He was the first person I met as I walked in, and I said "You look familiar!" and then "You look just like your dad!" Interesting how our genes get handed down. Sanjaya and Bhatiya seemed to be two lovely people. I'm sure that Lubber was very proud of them. Many of Lubber's siblings live abroad, I think. S and B said they learned many things about their dad by reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was good to see Lubber's very successful reproductive efforts, not discounting the major contribution from his wife of course!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Asoka was married to Dulcie Liyanage, who was in our senior batch. It was a long standing love affair from their school days. However they separated later. Dulcie was present at the funeral service this morning. One of Dulcie's brothers, Percy, was married to a cousin of mine.

    ReplyDelete