Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Asoka Wijeyekoon passes away. Eulogy by ND Amerasekera

Asoka Wijeyekoon passes away

We have lost another Batch colleague

News has reached us that Asoka “Lubber” Wijeyekoon passed away in London in December last year. He is the 53rd in our Batch to do so.

During his visits to Sri Lanka, on a few occasions he has joined Pram’s get-togethers at her residence and this is from a photograph taken at one in 2019.

Please read message from his son Sanjaya.

We like to extend our deepest commiserations to his family. May he Rest In Peace. 

Stop press: Message from his son Sanjaya whom I contacted.

He died in London at st Bartholomew Hospital on the 22nd December. He was on a short trip to London and promptly went into heart failure on arrival, was admitted to cardiology, started to develop some tachyarrythmias and then attempted an emergency pacemaker but sadly went into cardiac arrest on the evening of the 22nd and died. We only got to see him briefly before the event. He had a PM unfortunately as the cause of death was uncertain and was cremated in the UK. My brother is coming with his ashes to SL and we planned a small ceremony here as per his final wishes. I’m sorry we did not have everyone’s contact details but I messaged Professor Lamabadasuriya and also emailed the 62 medical school group. We are holding a small ceremony at Jayaratne funeral hall on the opposite side of the  road from borella kanatta entrance on Sunday the 11th February at 10 am. We have a video link too for those who cannot attend but would like to view the proceedings  

Here is the link:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwqKomz9Z-M

I think this is on 11th Feb, at 09.00 am SL which is 03.30 am UK

Click on it on the day.

I think his two sons, both medical Consultants in the UK are Bhatya (Rheumatologist) and Sanjaya (Colorectal surgeon). I am grateful to Nihal (ND) Amarasekera who wrote this beautiful eulogy at very short notice. 

Asoka Wijeyekoon – A Tribute to my friend

By Dr Nihal D Amerasekera


Friendships are one of life’s golden gifts. Those made in our youth are specially gilded to last a lifetime. It is hard to replicate that closeness in associations later on in life. In our life’s journey we find friends who walk with us a short way and move out of our sight.
 

This is a eulogy for Lubber and also an appreciation of our friendship of many years. After five gruelling years in medical school we worked together for another four years in the Central Blood Bank in Colombo, a large slice of our young lives. We managed to hang on to our friendship despite the distances, careers, family commitments and the many bouquets and brickbats of life. It is indeed a tribute to our friendship. 

I recall most vividly the legendary Law-Medical, the intrusion into the cricket match at Reid Avenue and questioning the umpire. The gory details are best forgotten and buried deep. I am certain a résumé is analysed and remembered at reunions and gatherings after a generous dash of the social lubricant. 


Final year trip Kurunegala? Badulla? Igloo" HO's quarters.
 Lubber is squatting behind Lakshman Jayasinghe and Yankee Bala



At our final year trip, Lubber’s memorable performance took centre stage. In the chill night-air he wore just his tie and nil else. When asked who he was, he said “I am Argyle Robertson’s pupil”. Even now, this legendary moment never fails to raise a smile. That was a fitting farewell to a journey none of us will ever forget. When this episode was mentioned previously, Sanath Lamabadusuriya commented this took place in Kurunegala and not in Badulla, as I recalled. I would most certainly trust his memory more than my own. 

My first meeting with Lubber in med school was perhaps unremarkable, hence lost in the fog of time. I do recall Sunil De Silva’s long tale of how  his classmate from Royal College ,Asoka Wijeyakoon, came to be called Lubber. It seemed Asoka’s teenage swagger on terra firma was like that of a sailor. The term ‘land lubber’ was shortened to lubber. Although most plausible, Sunna’s stories were told with a poker face blurring the fine line between fact into fiction. Despite being at either end of the alphabet we met up in the common room for a tea and a chat. The common room was a very special place for us medical students. It was our own retreat and shelter from the storms of Faculty life. I have often watched him deep in thought over a game of chess with Satchy. He joined in the conversations with his endless stream of wise-cracks. Listening to the repartee between Chanaka Wijesekera, Sunil De Silva and Lubber Wijeyakoon was spontaneous comedy at its best. It moved from the ridiculous to the farcical. The ‘one liners’were brilliantly intelligent and hilariously funny. Those were indeed touches of genius taking the noble art of comedy to a whole new level. I wish we had smartphones to record those treasures for posterity. Their quick wit and humour must swirl in the ether of that common room. The Faculty years passed swiftly. After the ‘finals’ we were thrust into the lions’ den of the wider world. Then marriage and careers usurped our lives. None of it was easy!!

I was thrilled to see that familiar swagger entering the Central Blood Bank in Colombo when I was a Medical Officer of that institution in the early 1970’s. We clicked instantly. I was then a drifter at a loose end and was grateful for his company. I do recall our evenings at some of the popular bars discussing philosophy, politics and religion. Those were heady days of idealism, ambition and youthful optimism. There were occasions I joined Lubber for company in his blood donation programs in the out-stations. One that stands out is a trip to Galgamuwa on the road to Anuradhapura. We stayed at the DMO’s quarters as he was away. Emptying his fridge of the amber nectar we chatted deep into the night when we heard a group of girls singing “Oyathamai Bamba ketu ekkana”. In our inebriation they sounded like a choir of angels. Then again, we spent a memorable evening in the verandah of the Nikeweratiya Rest House polishing a bottle of Molasses discussing the world, politics and our ambitions and aspirations. These images still haunt me.

I recall the dark days of 1960’s and 70’s with sadness. Sri Lankan politics was in turmoil. The economy was in a perilous state. Our lives and careers were at a standstill. I remember it so well. Mahendra Gonsalkorala, Lubber and I debating the pros and cons of leaving Sri Lanka. We couldn’t see an end to the political and economic crisis that crippled our country. They were emotionally charged discussions that left us in a wilderness of confusion. After much deliberation we joined the rest of the herd for greener pastures abroad. Although I had agonised about it, I never realised the enormity of that decision. My youthful exuberance protected me from the fear of reality. 

I was immensely fortunate to have Lubber to travel with me to the UK. We boarded the Swissair DC10 and comforted each other until our transit at Zurich. We were dying for a beer. Money was in short supply and we had to syndicate to share a bottle that calmed our nerves. After a change of plane we disembarked at Heathrow airport. I can still remember that cold and wet June afternoon in 1974. There on the concourse of the airport we said our goodbyes and parted company. Lubber disappeared into a Psychiatric Hospital in the heart of Sussex. I started my journey in Pathology in Chase Farm Hospital in Greater London. We kept in touch and met up a few times. Each time we had some drinks and listened to our favourite Sinhala music of Victor Ratnayake which brought back fond memories of our final few years in Colombo. To be frank it was a tough time for us in the UK too. As we drowned in our careers and family obligations there was hardly any time to keep up with friends. There were long periods of silence and we never met on our journey up the professional ladder. When I went into the abstract world of Radiology, Lubber became a respected Consultant Psychiatrist in a London Hospital. 

It was a couple of decades later I met Lubber again this time in his pad in London when he cooked a meal for me and my family. We talked a lot about times past, of mutual friends and the pleasures and perils of life. After we parted our contact remained an occasional phone call, out of the blue, and a warm query on how life treated us. It was a shock to our system when our children left the nest. He is rightly proud of his two sons who are Consultants in the National Health Service. 

The years rolled by as retirement loomed. Our careers ended as it started with uncertainty and some trepidation. The next I heard of Lubber was when he left the UK. A little birdie told me he was living it up in Bangkok and spending his retirement in ‘well earned’ luxury. No doubt it’s everyone dream to be happy. I thought I had lost contact completely until one day, on a whim, I used an old phone number and sent him a message on WhatsApp.  A few days passed and to my surprise I got a reply. His messages were brief and always after a prolonged latent period. 

In May this year I booked a family holiday in Bangkok. Lubber now spends time in Colombo and Bangkok. He made a special effort to be in Bangkok during my visit. He invited us to stay with him in his condominium. Getting into a taxi and finding a location in Thailand is fraught with difficulty due to language problems. Never being a part of the British Empire, Thai people do not speak much English. We felt it would be best to meet near my hotel. It was such a pleasure to see him again, a little more grey and more rotund than I knew. He decided to stay the night at my hotel in the best top floor room. We started a drink in his room and caught up with the lost years of friends, family and our life’s journey. Lubber is tremendous company with or without a drink and has retained many of his formidable intellectual gifts. As always after a drink his wit and humour takes over. We had a fine seafood dinner followed by more drink and chat. Unlike the hard-nosed yours truly, Lubber has a certain empathy for the less fortunate and the downtrodden. He rewarded the waiters and waitresses most generously.  We parted company not knowing if we would ever meet again. 

 After several months I was pleasantly surprised to hear from him in London. He was staying in a hotel near Moorgate where we decided to meet. It was wonderful to see him again. Lubber is as always upbeat about life but very aware of the ironies, mirages and illusions that we all must face. Now more than ever life’s oases and their many pleasures drift past us far too quickly. We spoke for just a couple of hours as he had to take a taxi to Heathrow Airport for his return to Colombo. As I think about life, I am convinced more than ever, our lives are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, within an enigma – to misquote Winston Churchill.  

When I look back the memories of 50+ years, Lubber was a kind, sociable friend and a unique human being. This is not an attempt to deify him. He too has the same faults we all possess. As in his youth Lubber is extraordinarily frank, fears no one and retained an aura of gravitas from his ‘consultant’ days. He had the remarkable ability to bring to any discussion a huge degree of intelligence derived from lateral thinking. I am ever grateful we were able to meet. It is true we go back to the beginning as we get to the end. 

It was, and will always remain, one of the great privileges of my life to have known him.  

May he find eternal Peace.

 

20 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Nihal for your excellent article about Lubber. During the Final Year trip in 1966, Lubber and I played the duet of Dr Argyll Robertson and his Pupil, in Kurunegala at the Freemason's Hall.
    More recently, i used to meet him regularly whenever he was visiting Colombo. Few times we went to the Kingsbury Hotel for drinks and dinner. He used to spend the night in the hotel. I agree with Nihal that Asoka was very generous with his tips.
    When H N Wickramasinghe passed away, I invited him home for lunch before attending the funeral. Many years ago he invited me for his son's wedding at the Taj Samudra hotel. Asoka's son married the daughter of the Vice-Chancellor of the University of Colombo, Professor Hettiarachchi,
    May he attain the supreme bliss of Nirvana!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanath
    Thank you for informing us of the sad news and for the positive comments on my eulogy. I know you were close to him. I

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahendra
    Thank you for publishing my tribute. The photo brings him back to life and to those happy days of our youth. I was close to him and feel the loss deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nihal, thank you for this lovely tribute to your friend, Asoka. It is hard to lose a good friend. I always wondered why he was called "Lubber?" Now I know. ( I can just imagine Sunna giving you an explanation in his inimitable way!). While in Medical College I didn't know Asoka well. (Women weren't welcome in your Common Room and his seat was high up near the rafters in the lecture halls, while I sat closer to the ground!) There were a few occasions, however, when we were at reunions at the same time and I had some nice conversations with him. One was a few months after Freddy Mercury passed away and he was telling me how much he admired his singing. We talked about many things, but I remember the part about Freddy Mercury!
    May Asoka find Eternal Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Srianee
    Thank you for your comment and those memories. Remembering Freddie Mercury - "another one bites the dust and another one"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr.Pramilla SenanayakeFebruary 6, 2024 at 7:36 AM

    Thank you ND for your very well written eulogy on Lubber. Found out a lot about Lubber from your article. thank you ND.
    i must confess i did not really know Lubber at med school or after we graduated. The first time I really got to know him was when Many of our batch mates were part of a transatlantic cruise ( Southampton to New york) . He was on the cruise with his son. i too was on this cruise which was organised by Bala. we had a great time attending beautiful talks watching super broadway & Westend shows and enjoying some great cuisine.I then realized that Lubber was a kind Generous individual always around to help That was in 2011. 4 days after our cruise liner QE 2 docked in NY the 9-11 attack occured which shocked the world.

    After the cruise
    i had again lost touch till we reconnected in 2023 when he was spending time in SL We were on the phone frequently. He wanted to keep in touch but was petrified of contracting Covid Wanted to join the "Forever 62" group and join us for the monthly dinners but on each occasion decided at the last minute to cancel . i think he was concerned because he has had a by pass
    My last contact was at the start of December of 2023. He called to say he was leaving for the UK but would definitely be back in time to attend our Reunion on the 20 th December at the Cinnamon grand
    In early December i emailed him with the reunion details and his response was thst he will join us After he returned to SL After that he went silent but had no response. (he had
    possibly passed away) . May his soul rest in peace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to see you posting comments again Pram. Longay it continue

      Delete
  7. Pram
    Thank you for commenting. Asoka was a great guy and will be truly missed by the many who got to know him over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I added this to the main blog post. Stop press: Message from his son Sanjaya whom I contacted.

    He died in London at st Bartholomew Hospital on the 22nd December. He was on a short trip to London and promptly went into heart failure on arrival, was admitted to cardiology, started to develop some tachyarrythmias and then attempted an emergency pacemaker but sadly went into cardiac arrest on the evening of the 22nd and died. We only got to see him briefly before the event. He had a PM unfortunately as the cause of death was uncertain and was cremated in the UK. My brother is coming with his ashes to SL and we planned a small ceremony here as per his final wishes. I’m sorry we did not have everyone’s contact details but I messaged Professor Lamabadasuriya and also emailed the 62 medical school group. We are holding a small ceremony at Jayaratne funeral hall on the opposite side of the road from borella kanatta entrance on Sunday the 11th February at 10 am. We have a video link too for those who cannot attend but would like to view the proceedings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have updated the blog post with a lovely old photo of him. Here is the YouTube link for the funeral which becomes active on 4 days. You can copy the link I am giving and paste on your browser and click on it. This will open the YouTube presentation and you can click- notify me- if you would like one to be sent to you at the time.- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwqKomz9Z-M

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always sad to hear of the demise of a friend and batch mate.
    Thank you Nihal for your skillfully crafted eulogy. I must confess that I had lost touch with Asoka or
    " Lubber" as he was popularly known, after graduation
    Thank you also for explaining the origin of his nick name which I had wondered about. I do remember an amusing incident during our 3rd year Clinical Appointment when Kusuma elbowed the person standing next to her in the OT asking " What is Lubbers real name ? " , thinking it's a fellow batch mate when she discovered to her horror that it was Prof Navaratne who had the habit of walking into the adjacent OT and peer into the surgical field.
    I remember Asoka as a gentle , thoroughly decent, friendly guy.
    May his Soul Rest in Peace
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suri, thank you for sharing that story about Kusuma nudging Prof Nava! Funny things happened, and it cheers one up at times like this to hear these stories again. Yes, Asoka was a really nice guy. I'm hoping to attend the funeral ceremony on Sunday and I hope some of our other friends will be there as well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Suri. Stories such as yours makes these recollections come to life (contradictory perhaps!). I remember cy ling back regularly from the Medical Faculty with Lubber and Chanaka Wijesekera (breaking all the road rules if they were to be applied now!) chatting away and discussing all sorts of things. He was a great lateral thinker and a joy to discuss all sorts of interesting things.The Argyl Robertson episode will remain the lasting memory of his unique contribution to our memory store.

      Delete
  11. Suri
    Thank you for your comment and those lovely memories of long ago. The out pouring of grief shows as a group the batch of 1962 are a family. I seek the comfort of that ever popular poem of John Donne:
    No man is an island,
    Entire of itself;
    Every man is a piece of the continent,
    A part of the main.

    Any man's death diminishes me,
    Because I am involved in mankind.
    And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;
    It tolls for thee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I added a photo of the Final Year trip ? Badulla? Kurunegala with Lubber
    squatting behind Lakshman Jayasinghe and Yankee Bala. (red arrow indicates him). Lama thinks it is Badulla. Any others can recall whether it is Badulla or Kurunegala? There are many other famiiar faces. Any guesses as to who they are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mahen for sharing this old photo. I have always said that the guys had more fun in Medical College than the girls! I was able to spot Jaymon, Ganesh, Gnanissara. Are you at the extreme right foreground?

      Delete
    2. No, I am the one with the piano according at the back. The right extreme I think is Sathanandan

      Delete
  13. From a comment I made in a 2018 post by Lucky. Reproduced with permission from myself!
    An Ode is usually a poem expressing the writer's thoughts and feelings about a particular person or subject, usually written to that person or subject. As far as I know, an ode is always in poetic form although it can be in the form of music too. They are usually short and do not necessarily have to rhyme.

    My Ode to Lubber would be

    A man physically of short stature
    But filled with goodness, and mature
    A true friend and valued colleague
    He is surely in a different league
    The swagger immediately says it is him
    We, his loyal mates sing from the same hymn
    Our wonderful Lubber of Argyle fame
    A wit so extraordinary, much to acclaim
    A lateral thinker par excellence
    A pleasure and honour on us bechance
    Three hearty cheers to Lubber!
    Language! Language! But he is a lovely “bugger”!

    ReplyDelete
  14. FROM NANA (sent by Lama)
    Asoka was addicted to comic books ,1954 -56 which were frowned upon by the teachers primarily due to the 'poor' American way of spelling and the slang - if we were caught reading comics we were punished.
    Asoka had quite a collection that he brought to school and we would read them during breaks. The name 'lubber' started with The comic books referring to a sailor referring to those on land 'land lubber' since then the name stuck with Asoka.

    ReplyDelete