Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Zita's inspiration - Her Mother Mrs Mildred Perera

Note by Acting Blog administrator
We are all proud of the achievements of our Batchmates not only in the field of Medicine but in so many other areas as well. We are indeed a special batch. We have all been influenced and inspired by our parents and it is a great pleasure to publish this article by Zita about her Mum. I would welcome others to contribute on how they have been inspired by their parents.

by Zita Perera Subasinghe

Zita says, "This story is about my amazing mother who had total faith in herself and pursued her dreams with undiminished intensity in the face of adversity. She set an example which I tried to emulate. I am ever so grateful to her and I hope that other Batch mates will come out with their own stories of parental inspiration.

Hank Snow and a fan from Ceylon         01 07 2020

   Hank Snow flanked by two of his fans Mrs Mildred Perera, and Zita (L)

The year was 1970 when I was building up my young career and, on the way, to starting a family in the country of my dreams when I invited my mother to spend time with us and have a holiday in England. She deserved it after having raised a large family, the last decade of which she was without the help of her husband who predeceased her. For a busy mother, she always had many hobbies and lately a home business operation that helped provide the finances. She was a qualified dressmaker, accomplished baker, decorator of cakes and teacher of these skills. She also learned the arts of batik and tie and dye fabric design, flower making to name a few, in her quest to acquire new skills and gain knowledge.

If you think her repertoire left no time for any other pastime, you’d better think again! For a lady whose husband was a multi-instrumentalist musician, she pursued her love for music.

Her love of music

This did not stop at just listening to music but actually promoting her musical idols Hank Snow, Jim Reeves and Ricky Nelson in her country and being the Vice President of the Fan Club there (Country and Western music fan club).

She was also a member of the Hank Snow Fan Club which was run by a group of friends and (in which Zita was the secretary!). Mummy had her own collection of music on spool tapes which she played on her prized procession of a tape recorder from England, which was a rare item for a housewife to have. On the top lid of the machine was a photo of her musical favourite singer, Hank Snow, the Singing Ranger of the Grand Ole Opry from Nashville, Tennessee. She would correspond with her musical idols and the chief one was Hank Snow. I too belonged to that Fan Club because of my mother’s interest in it.

Mildred Perera’s old-style tape deck with Hank Snow picture with Zita near it.

During her holiday in England around the latter half of 1970 she heard that Hank was on tour and was to perform at the Victoria Palace Theatre in London and she was determined to attend the live performance. After having taken her for the show, which I too enjoyed as a younger fan of the mother’s favourite star, I was taken aback when she suggested that we go back stage during the Interval of 15 minutes, so that she could meet the Singing Ranger! She had her way and before I knew what was happening we were facing the legendary singer in the dressing room, like two teenaged girls! Our enthusiasm was not to be disappointed when the true gentlemen from Canadian descent greeted us with a great smile and inquired about what was happening in Ceylon where his fan club had many ardent followers.

For many years prior to that Clarence Eugene ‘Hank’ Snow would send a personal Christmas Message which he voiced for his annual Christmas program that was broadcast on Radio Ceylon for over two decades running and without a break. Coming back to the concert at the Palace Theatre, Hank had us take an applause during the second half of the show and he sang one of mummy’s favourites specially dedicating to Mrs Mildred Perera of Colombo, Ceylon. After the show, he offered us a photo opportunity at a reception given in his honour on the next Sunday for which he even sent us transport.  The photo which you see at the top of this article, and which I preserved, shows the singer flanked by the two beaming fans. What’s more, sensing the need to go out of the way to please the faithful fan cum promoter from the island nation, Hank promptly removed his tie and presented it to Mummy, with the tie knot intact, which she preserved and passed on to one of her sons.

A son named after Hank Snow

Talking about her sons and my many brothers, Mummy named the youngest after the great singer, picking one of his forenames, Eugene.  She also started a pre-teen music band with her three youngest children, which was the youngest band ever in the island. The drummer coincidentally had the other name (Clarence) coming from the famous country singer. Only the Snow was missing in more than one sense of the word!

The Junior Rhythmiers

This band, Junior Rhythmiers (see photo), became an instant hit and popular, island-wide due to their tender ages, not to mention the natural talent they showed. Incidentally, the three brothers aged 7 to 12 years started picking the strings of my own (Zita’s) box guitar when I was away at medical college, much to my frustration of having to use the instrument with a few strings out of tune or one snapped, with no one taking responsibility for having used it behind my back. The cat was out of the bag when I saw their growing ability in playing guitar.  By this time, I was away in England.  They had a weekly radio program on national radio for many years and a fan club based in Jaffna, which was a musically inclined town even in the 1960s. They were the “juniors” of the Rhythmiers which in fact, was the band formed by one of my younger brothers Lakshman, who was older than them.

Well the Junior Rhythmiers group was well on their way, playing at concerts, weddings up and down Ceylon in the early ‘70s, even up to Jaffna.

This is a photo of them taken in the Fort, Colombo when they were on their way to perform at a concert. They played at Galle Face Hotel to welcome the New Year a couple of times. Their vocalist was Mariazelle Goonetillake who continues her career to this day. Mariazelle always gives mummy the credit for having ‘discovered’ her!

One of the photos of the events they played at survived (shown below), shows them playing at a children’s party.


What happened to the Junior Rhythmiers? Unfortunately, my mum died of Multiple Myelomatosis in 1974 while visiting me for the second time in the UK. It is an event I do not even want to think of.

The country’s interest in Country music continued but the events which I talk about above gave a boost to the popularity of Country and Western music in the then Ceylon.

As for Hank Snow, he slowed down as he reached his old age but continued to play at the Grand Ole Opry from time to time. I heard about his death in 1999.

To us all who loved and knew him, it was the closure of a Grand Chapter.

With the loss of mummy and her children getting on with work and studies, music began to take a back seat. But the memories are forever alive in our minds and we look back with happiness but a tinge of sadness that mummy left all this so early at the age of 55 years.

Written by Zita Perera Subasinghe

With help and some details and photos supplied by Neil Perera, who is one of my brothers and the eldest of the Junior Rhythmiers.

Hank Snow on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/MUjOHf1WqM8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StcCH-QQyDU


14 comments:

  1. Zita's long awaited post at last. I am keeping my comments short as I cannot gaze at the computer screen for long. I wonder whether our Ophthalmologist Zita might have a different view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you are right not to gaze at the computer screen for long. It is very tiring for the eyes especially after a condition like HZO which can affect conjunctiva, cornea, and the interior of the eye. You can recover from it completely but resting the eye is important. I hope you are being followed up by the excellent ophthalmologists in Sri Lanka. You are in good hands! Please rest as much as possible, in every way, not just with the eyes. You have such an excellent helper in Mahendra. I know our members will give him and you our full cooperation. Take care! All the best! From,
      Zita

      Delete
  2. Zita
    What a story. Thank you for sharing those memories and anecdotes that mean so much to you. I too was a great fan of country and western music through my mother and recall the many hours we have spent together listening to the gramophone and the radio. Hank Snow was a great hit in Ceylon in the 1950’s. There was a Hank Snow quarter at 9am every day with the famous signature tune “I’m moving on”. I still have a Hank Snow collection which I dip into when my mood takes me there. “Blue Bird Island “ and “ With this ring I thee wed” are songs that take me back to my childhood and those wonderful years spent with my parents. I too remember the occasions when I shared those memories with Satchi who lived across the pond in Florida. He too was a Hank Snow fan and had a fine collection of his music. Ah! How time has flown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nihal, you and I have discussed the subject of Country and Western Music in general and Hank Snow in particular and you shared with me many of HS and other C&W songs and that is what made me go back to our past and with the help of brother Neil, wrote the above article.
      I learnt a lot from you about Country music and talking to you about it reminded me again about the pleasure I used to get from C&W music. So I want to thank YOU above all for making me go back down memory lane! Zita





      Delete
    2. Zita
      Hank Snow was very special to a generation of Country and Western music lovers worldwide. He sang with his Rainbow Ranch Boys and we called those Hillbilly music which had tremendous appeal in Ceylon too. He had an unusual and pleasant voice which I think was the reason for his success as a singer. His rendition of the "Rhumba Boogie" was lovely. I did follow his music right until his demise at 85 in the late 1990's. All I can say now is thanks for the music and those wonderful memories. RIP Hank Snow

      Delete
    3. Nihal, do forgive me for not replying to your above comment for so long. I have been away from the blog due to being away and also the death of a relative. Oh, of course, excuses, excuses isn't it with Zita. But I think all of you my dear friends and batch mates are used to it. I totally appreciate your sentiments about this C&W legend who left memories which will never die and will go on from generation to generation. I too loved his Rhumba Boogie which had the power to bring rhythm and cheer to the listener's day and the song would linger in the ear, as they now call it, an 'ear worm'!
      Oh dear, I better not say anything more, eh? Thanks again, Nihal. It was you who re awakened my memory of this type of music following a discussion I had with you. Zita

      Delete
  3. Thank you Zita for an interesting write up that gives an insight into your interests as well as that of your family.Thanks also for taking us to meet your mum. She was a fantastic and multitalented individual and a very important and vibrant part of your youth.Obviously you miss her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, that's very kind of you. indeed I miss her a lot especially as she loved life but was deprived of it at a very early stage by a deadly disease. I must say, I never got over her loss and at this old age of nearly 80 I miss her even more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This part of Zita's article struck me as inspirational.

    "I invited my mother to spend time with us and have a holiday in England. She deserved it after having raised a large family, the last decade of which she was without the help of her husband who predeceased her. For a busy mother, she always had many hobbies and lately a home business operation that helped provide the finances. She was a qualified dressmaker, accomplished baker, decorator of cakes and teacher of these skills. She also learned the arts of batik and tie and dye fabric design, flower making to name a few, in her quest to acquire new skills and gain knowledge. If you think her repertoire left no time for any other pastime, you’d better think again! For a lady whose husband was a multi-instrumentalist musician, she pursued her love for music"

    How wonderful Zita! No wonder you are so proud of her and miss her so much.

    I do hope that some readers will respond with their own parental inspiration stories. We need them especially in these difficult days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zita, thank you for sharing this story about your mother and your talented siblings. When we were in Medical College I was aware that your mother was very involved in the Hank Snow fan club. What a thrill for her to meet him in person in London. Hank Snow sounds like a wonderful human being. I confess, I am not a big fan of country and western music in general, although I do have a some songs that I like. I love listening to Ray Charles singing "I can't stop loving you" and "Take these chains from my heart and set me free" to name a few. Your mom was a very talented and enterprising person, and it is clear that you and your siblings have inherited many of her traits. I am sorry that you lost her at such a young age. Thank you for sharing her story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started replying to this kind comment of yours Sriani, after two weeks or more and after typing it I lost it! Serves me right. I truly appreciate your taking the trouble to comment and I do appreciate that not all C&W fans appreciate the same artistes for, of course, there are the Marmite ones among any group of artistes! I do appreciate your lovely comment about my mum. We lost her when she was 55 and that was something we never could get over. She was much more forward than I was and I can't see myself doing any really 'forward' things like appearing on stage with an artiste even on his request!
      I can quite appreciate that there were other artistes like Ray Charles who have left immortal songs with us.
      Thanks for taking the trouble to comment on my story and once again, I am sorry I left it so long to reply. Zita

      Delete
  7. If anyone is interested the Ray Charles albums are "Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music, Vol ! and 2". His interpretations of the Country and Western standards are pretty special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a Ray Charles fan Srianee. Georgia on my mind,I can’t stop loving you , not mess around are some greats

      Delete
  8. Zita I enjoyed reading this Post about your dear mother and her numerous talents. No wonder you take after her in many ways. I was so moved to read all what she has contributed to our motherland. I admire her tenacity of purpose and she is an inspiration a guiding light to all women. From Dushyanthi Vedavanam

    ReplyDelete