Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Where Have all the Flowers Gone?

 

Where Have all the Flowers Gone?

By Nihal D Amerasekera

 

For many years now since my retirement, Friday Night has been my Music Night. It is the time I listen to 1950’s and 60’s music and let my thoughts wander through the now hazy maze of time. The song that often strikes a chord is that one with the poignant lyrics and haunting melody composed by Pete Seeger. It took the whole world by storm and in 1962 the version by the Kingston Trio engulfed our little island like no other. Although attributed to the Vietnam War it reminds me of medical school and our time together. We had a large contingent of girls in our batch and I’ve often wondered where they are now.

With my Evangelical Christian upbringing, I spent my testosterone-charged teenage years in an all-boys school deprived of female company. Faculty life needed some getting used to. As I entered the portals of that temple of wisdom in Kynsey Road, I soon realised there was more to life than Botany, Zoology, Chemistry and Physics. The sexual attraction was compelling and generated a potent chemical reaction. Bedazzled by the ambience, I felt self-conscious in the new surroundings wanting to be in my best behaviour in the company of girls. It didn’t come easily to be gallant and courteous!! Although 1960’s was the era of Sex, Drugs and Rock’n Roll such pleasures hadn’t arrived in our little island, yet. Social distancing was built in, separating the boys from the girls. We then lived in a rigidly puritanical and austere society. On arrival at the Faculty, I found some of the lads were self-assured and poked fun at the world around them. I soon realised they were not radical extremists but just lived lives expected of bohemian medical students. So I had to adjust and seek the middle ground. I stopped blushing at their unbridled erotic humour. Then I discovered alcohol, learnt to think freely, argue, question and not bother too much about what the world thought of me.

The girls too were from all-girl institutions and were overwhelmed by parental pressures and existing norms fed by our own Sri Lankan culture. Many of the girls were reserved not wanting to be seen as ‘easy game’ in the patriarchal society of 50 years ago.  They all believed in the mantra WYSWYG. Girls from the Colombo schools were posh and pushy and showed off the flesh below the neck and flashed a bit above the knee, for good measure. They even pushed their chests forward-moving the centre of gravity, dangerously. The rest most modestly covered their wares with glamourous sarees with vibrant colours.  In this context, I must refer to that famous aphorism that had entered the folklore of our great institution, “My face is my dowry”. Although the expression has more than a hint of vanity and attributed to a girl in our batch its real origin and the context is lost in the fog of time. It would be unfair to hold it against anyone. With our strict puritanical tenets, the face was the only bit of female anatomy visible to the ‘naked eye’. Perhaps the phrase was a reference to Helen of Troy in Greek Mythology - the face that launched a thousand ships?

This was a time when the old caste and dowry system still prevailed and arranged marriages were still in vogue. But Cupid had his way in the Faculty and shot his golden arrows to change the status quo. Amor Vincit Omnia (love conquers everything), how very true. Despite the harsh environment of education, hard toil and the prevailing ethos, love did blossom for some. Sadly, for a few those blossoms faded before we left the hallowed precincts in 1967. The faculty was a hotbed of gossip. News swirled around its lecture rooms and corridors about couples, affairs and the breakdown of relationships. Perhaps it broke the monotony of the never-ending examinations and hard study, a welcome distraction from the daily toil we all endured.

In the first 2 years, girls were seen in groups chatting and giggling in their own world. Three of them who were always together were unkindly labelled - anorexia, nausea and vomiting.  Even now when I see them it is as if those names are tattooed on the foreheads. I do respect their wish to maintain their modesty and cultural values.  As the years passed the social climate improved. The icy chill gave way to a thaw. There was better understanding and friendships all round between the sexes. Personally, I was very fortunate to have girls in my group who mixed freely and appreciated our crass humour. There were a few girls in our batch who were sassy trailblazers keeping up with the boys with their racy jokes and mischievous fun. I do respect their boldness in not conforming to the futile cultural constraints in our adult seat of learning.

On looking back what amazes me was my inability to connect with many of the girls during the entire 5 years in medical school except perhaps to raise a cursory smile when passing them on the endless corridors of our domain. The powers that be in the Faculty of Medicine, in their wisdom, kept us apart giving us a Mens’ Common Room where girls never dared to visit. Much has changed and we are in a different era. Now when I meet the girls from our batch at gatherings and reunions it generates such a sense of warmth and accelerated intimacy. I do regret not having made contact at the faculty. They are such lovely and friendly people. Now we can talk and laugh openly about our younger-selves and how we behaved conforming to our austere world. Friendship is a two-way street and I do acknowledge that for some there were social and cultural barriers that were far too difficult to transgress.  Being shy is not a crime but it feels like that now.

I cannot think of many things that humanity has benefitted in this time of Covid-19. One that comes to mind easily is reuniting people via Zoom. It has been a great pleasure to see several from our batch both male and female and to speak with them. Amazingly they don’t look any older than when I saw them last in 1967. They all seem to have retained their wicked sense of humour. The girls haven’t lost their sense of style and good looks. The boys have lost much of their hair but not their heads.

Now in this age of easy communication, digital phones and social media, it is hard to believe men and women behaved in that manner in our highest seat of learning. Much has changed since for both men and women. For the women, they can nip and tuck, facelift or use Botox to look young and beautiful. Men have the pleasure of Sildenafil to raise the fallen. We all benefit from the 120-year evolution of womens’ suffrage and the preservation of womens’ rights.  They can mix freely, speak without fear and even lead a country. Just like the men, the ladies from our batch went on to enjoy prestigious careers in the profession and hold celebrated positions in society.

This is a reminiscent glimpse into an era now long gone. When I wander into those happy days as a medical student I still rancour about the separation of the sexes as an unwanted remnant of a prudish past.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks, Nihal for that lovely trip back in time.
    For those who may have forgotten this lovely song, here are two relevant verses.

    Where Have All the Flowers Gone
    Pete Seeger
    Where have all the flowers gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the flowers gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the flowers gone?
    Girls have picked them every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

    Where have all the young girls gone?
    Long time passing
    Where have all the young girls gone?
    Long time ago
    Where have all the young girls gone?
    Taken husbands every one
    When will they ever learn?
    When will they ever learn?

    Nihal’s reference to his austere upbringing resonates with mine. Girls aroused all the natural emotions but parental caution in handling these emotions were ever present in the background, especially the dangers “of getting entangled with the wrong person” which would distract from your mission of learning to become a doctor.

    We had all kinds, the brash and self-confident, the outright Romeos, the diffident withdrawn, and the reserved Atlas. It was a sort of game, trying to impress the girls and seeking their approbation. Men were proud of their chiseled facial features and ignorant of their farcical tendencies and girls were not backward in displaying their front, back, limbs and “faces that could launch a thousand ships” or “face is my dowry”. To me, it was all novel and made me utterly self-conscious in the presence of girls, but I loved it! Being the youngest boy in the batch, I think some of them treated me more like a harmless younger brother.

    Looking back, it is strange to think of how males and females were kept apart during Faculty days (apart from lectures etc) as if allowing them to mix might cause a detonation. There are those who were undeterred and were seen as couples in the library, in the corridors and under shady trees. One guesses that holding hands was the equivalent of a passionate kiss these days but who knows.

    I am so glad that I have kept in touch with so many and as Nihal says, Covid-19 Zoom meetings have been great fun. Just to see each other and exchange banter has been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahen
    Thank you for those comments. I too recall the parental cautions. I am glad this issue has come to the open. I put it down to my parents being over protective my being an only child. It made me very irate and admonished them for being so silly. It is some comfort I was not alone even after the passage of so many decades. This just goes to show no situation is unique!!
    We did have a few young lotharios and lounge lizards who felt any girl was fair game. I will say no more.
    The lyrics of the song brings back many memories of happy times of youthful idealism. There were vast discussions over an arrack or two about politics, privilege and the purse and who would pay for the drinks. Money was short!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is Zita. It was with a great sense of ‘looking forwardness' that I read Nihal’s account of ‘where have all the flowers gone?’ The content of this article is as good as I expect of Nihal, with great style, easy readability, and understandability if there is such a word! The content is something I admire Nihal for remembering after more than half a century (a big chunk of our lives). Many of us of both sexes can, I am sure, identify ourselves as having experienced those very same situations. There is nothing I can add to the content and it won’t be wrong to say that most of us went through those very same phases, same emotions and same predicaments whether we were male or female. All what Nihal describes he rightly ascribes to the time that it was, the slowness of men and women to mix openly as shown by the physical separation of common rooms with perhaps the canteen as the main common area except perhaps the lecture rooms. I am sure we all have similar reminiscences of that time and accept all the restrictions as necessary according to the practices of the sixties.
    The beauty is that in the following 53 years we’ve overcome most of the shyness, uncanniness, and we move among our colleagues freely, talk to, correspond and share experiences with, in great friendliness. What is sad to me, is that some batch mates live with no contact with the rest of the batch after all these years, even when such a medium for contact as the Blog is available. It is almost as though we didn’t pass even six months together. It can’t be shyness. Do they not have any happy memories about those 5 or more years we all spent together in the ‘60s?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zita
    Thank you for your kind comment. I remembered the things that are irrelevant to academia and not the pathology and pharmo etc. I too am disappointed by the many who have nothing to do with the batch. There is a blog and so few join/communicate and keep in touch.
    I manage my school website and I see the same lethargy just something we all got to accept. Best regards to Zita Joe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nihal, I share this same sadness with you about why some of our 'really bright sparks' of batch mates, so fluent so clever so sociable are now silent and not taking a few minutes of their time to make a comment or contribute something, a drawing, a poem, a photo, an experience, whatever! We'd love to read them and we'll be laughing with them, or sharing a serious moment with them, anything! Until we see that happening, I entreat you and Mahendra and other contributors to our blog to please keep sending your writings or photos etc in, and they will be 'gulped' by other readers with great enthusiasm. I do hope you will keep writing for the Blog, Nihal, as you do have a real gift to make the most hum-drum story interesting. I hope there will be more on the music you love. I listened to some of the songs you sent me some time ago and felt that you have very good taste in music. Ok, so let's keep the Blog going eh?

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Nihal and Zita for helping us to keep the Blog alive. Nihal, you will be pleased to know that Zita has sent another beautifully crafted poem which shall make its debut in international Media very soon with no fanfare at her request! Watch this space!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dushyanthi Vedavanam
    Nihal as always your article titled ‘Friday Night and Music Night’ very skillfully written. You have gone down memory lane to remind us of the times bygone....living in an austere and puritanical society. Rightly or wrongly it was acceptable during that time. However we have gone a long way with the evolution of Women Suffrage and the recognition of Women’s Rights. Your article vividly portrays the recognition of equal rights of both sexes in society. Your literary skills are great. Thank you so much for your immense contribution to the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dhushy
    Your comment is greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Its a great memory of our youth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nihal, your reminiscences of our Medical School days and our interactions with the opposite sex, were very analytical and as usual, beautifully executed! Obviously how we dealt with all these new experiences coming our way depended greatly on our own background and upbringing. (I don't remember having any "orientation," just the ragging.) Most of us felt that we had to live according to our familial and social expectations. As I was reading about your impressions of the various types of females in our batch I kept wondering what type you thought I was?! (Ha! Ha! you really don't have to answer that!!) But sadly, we judged people without taking the time to acquaint ourselves with them. In all honesty, we didn't have the time to really get to know our classmates. I grew up in a big family with three younger brothers, and their friends were constantly visiting our home. In addition, I had many male cousins, so I found young males to be more of a nuisance than anything else! I'm sorry to say, but there was nothing mysterious or enticing about any of you!! (I took a lot more time to adjust to the cadavers laid out in our anatomy lab than to the male members of our class.) Because I was not enamored of a one particular male in our batch, over the five years in Medical College I made some good friends, both male and female.
    I feel fortunate to maintain my contact with my friends. To address your (and Zita's) concerns about those who have lost contact, I think there are many who are not very comfortable with emails, writing comments on blogs etc. It is too bad, because I think it is so important to stay at least minimally able to tackle these developing technologies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Srianne very good comments to read by a handful of bloggers
      to read.
      It is a pity that a large
      number of our batch mates art either indifferent or indolent.The good old Mantra-speak,read and walk will keep dementia and Alzheimer at bay.I do not know about SriLanka with regard to online communications.We in UK have to be computer competent in order to communicate with various agencies.It takes ages to contact by phone.
      The old proverb "You can't teach an old dog new tricks"has not disappeared from our vocabulary.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sumathy
      Good to see you on the blog. Thanks for commenting and keeping the blog alive. Your views are much valued and appreciated

      Delete
  9. Srianee
    It is always a great pleasure to read your comments as you give careful thought to the articles and express your views fairly. I have spoken to you in the faculty and you came across as a friendly person. Suranganie Abeysuriya and Rohini Abhayaratne were the girls in my group. We had no hang-ups and remained close and friendly. There are people you meet and then spend rest of the years avoiding them. There are others you meet on a corridor and then become friends for the rest of your life.

    ReplyDelete