Thursday, April 25, 2019

THE RECENT ACRIMONY IN SRI LANKA II

By Dr Nihal D Amerasekera


The light at the end of the tunnel 

As a group of batch-mates living in the UK we felt the need to show our feelings for the friends and families of the many who have been affected by this senseless tragedy. Our country is reeling once again from this perilous situation of conflict and discord, death and destruction.

Although I live happily in England, I have left a part of me in that beautiful island of my birth and the land of my forefathers. My mind often goes back to the time of my youth growing up in post-colonial Ceylon. It was so very peaceful. How times have changed!! We now live in a world so very different. Despite the years in exile, I still share in the joys and heartaches of the people of Sri Lanka.

After the tragedy, feelings are raw and emotions run high. Investigations are in progress by the security apparatus of Sri Lanka with the help of Interpol, FBI and the Metropolitan Police. Naturally, after a cataclysm of this nature and magnitude there are boundless stories swirling around, some fact and others fiction. Perhaps, now is not the time for us to make a judgment or apportion blame until the investigations are completed.

It is imperative that we do everything possible to prevent a disaster of this nature in the future. This requires the patronage of politicians, vigilance of the security services, guidance of religious leaders and the co-operation of the various communities. We must remain strong against the corrosive elements of society who try to drive a wedge and divide us. Tolerance is the key to a peaceful Sri Lanka. Importantly, we must learn to nurture the peace when it blooms again.

As for the future of my beloved island unity of our people is paramount. It is heartening to read of the show of solidarity by the different religions and of their shared sorrow.We all grieve today. I hope the many candles that were lit will ignite the efforts to dispel bigotry and disharmony. Let the lasting legacy of this awful tragedy be a doorway to a new beginning of peace and tolerance

9 comments:

  1. My sentiments are mutual, ND.
    I watched the events unfolding on TV and was indeed devastated to a see my Motherland going through carnage again after a very peaceful few years.
    As a nominal Muslim, I feel the sadness and pain of my fellow Sri Lankan Catholics suffering. You know that all my education was in a Catholic School at St. Anthony's College, Wattala.
    I am really lost for words to know that ISIS... some sub-humans had caused the carnage. It will take along time to come to terms. I sincerely hope that this will not be a spark to set alight OUR most beautiful and salubrious Motherland.

    A very sad , furious and devastated..... Raz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Razaque
    We go back a long way. Thank you for the comment. I recall with much nostalgia our connection with St Anthony's School and the studies we did there as medical students and the functions we attended. I hope the St Anthony's school and the church have been spared. Take care my friend and my best wishes to Farina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As far as I am aware the School and St. Anne's Convent and the imposing Cathedral/Church along Negombo Road are safe. I am sure the locals will see to it. My sister and brother OK. We have been in the area for more than 80years!! Nevertheless nothing can be taken for granted

      Delete
  3. Nihal, you have expressed most eloquently what we all feel. I hope that people refrain from taking their anger out on innocent people in the next few days and weeks. Our politicians have let us down quite badly and it is up to us, regular people, to spread the message of peace. There was a story on BBC about a neighborhood near the Negombo Church that was very uplifting. I will try and post the link if I can surmount the technical challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not think that the Catholics will resort to that low level. If do l don't blame them. As ever only the innocent that have to bear the consequences in any conflict anywhere
      Rszaque.

      Delete
    2. Srianee
      Thank you for your thoughtful comment. Much appreciated

      Delete
  4. https://www.bbc.com/news/video_and_audio/headlines/48061815/sri-lanka-attacks-the-street-fighting-back-with-peace

    Here is the BBC story I referred to above. I certainly hope that more people in Sri Lanka will treat their neighbors this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A few days late but my feelings on the events are just like how Nihal has expressed and the other batch mates have reacted. It is beyond words. It's hard to know how one should act in situation like this. I somehow feel: do not react in the usual angry way. Forgive and try to make peace. It may not work but confrontation is definitely not going to work either. Two fires don't cancel each other. Fire and water will be better. Anger and love has a chance to cancel each other. It is hard to do it I know but it is the only way forward. (After I wrote the above, I read the other comments and am glad to find overtones of understanding and forgiveness in these comments above. I am proud of our members!) Zita

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nihal, I share the sentiments you’ve expressed and echo specifically your last sentence-
    “Let the lasting legacy of this awful tragedy be a doorway to a new beginning of peace”.
    Thank you Nihal.

    ReplyDelete