Monday, April 15, 2019

Classical Quotes for Critical Care

Suriyakanthi Amarasekara had recently been invited as the Chief Guest to make a presentation to the Clinical Society of Sri Jayawardenepura Hospital. What follows is a gist of her talk. 





When I received the gracious invitation to be the chief guest at the Scientific Sessions of the Clinical Society, I had to choose a topic of my address. After much thought I decided that rather than talk to you on a ponderous scientific theme, I would share with you some of my collection of quotes concerning life and critical care. I may add that from my early teens I got into the habit of jotting down anything that touched my heart so what is presented to you in the next few minutes is picked from a collection that has taken me almost a half century to compile.

All of us present here are engaged in working. So I would like to start with a quote by Khaleel Gibran from his masterpiece “The Prophet”

“A plough man said speak to us of work.
And he answered saying
You work that you may keep pace with the earth and the soul of the earth
For to be idle is to become a stranger unto the seasons,
And to step out of life’s procession that marches in majesty and proud submission towards the infinite
When you work you are a flute through whose heart the whispering of the hours turn to music.
Which of you would be a reed dumb and silent, when all else sings together in unison ?
You have been told that life is darkness.
And in your weariness you echo what was said by the lonely.
And I say that life is indeed darkness save when there is an urge,
And all urge is blind save when there is knowledge,
And all knowledge is vain save when there is work,
And all work is empty save when there is love.
And when you work with love, you bind yourself to yourself,
And to one another and to God

I firmly believe that no one working in critical care of for that matter caring for the sick in any location can be truly successful and happy unless he has a special care and concern for the welfare of his patients. We need to treat or patients with compassion and we need to work with love.
I think that St Paul’s epistle to the Corinthians captures the type of love we should have when he wrote:

“though I speak with the tongues of men and angels, and have not love, I am becoming as a resounding gong, or a clanging cymbal.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have no love I am nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind.
Love does not envy and does not boast
Love is not proud, it is not rude it is not self seeking
Love is not easily angered, it keeps no records wrong
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth
Love always protects, always trusts, always hopes and always preserves
Love never fails”
I remember being told many years ago, to replace the word love with “I” .
So to paraphrase
I am patient,  I am kind.
I do not envy and do not boast
I am not proud, I am not rude I am not self seeking
I am not easily angered, I keep no records wrong
I do not delight in evil but rejoice with the truth

This shows us how far short we fall from the expected ideal
Every patient is important, and every encounter with that patient and his family is important. Things that we may sometimes consider trivial, and therefore overlook, may have tremendous significance, especially in view of the complexity of multiple medical problems that we are faced with.

As John Donne said,

“No man is an island entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main…..
Any man’s death diminishes me because I am involved with mankind
and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls,
it tolls for thee”.

Very few people work harder than ICU personnel, but not infrequently, it does not really seem to change things. All our skill, wisdom and efforts may seem to be of no avail, not only with patient care, but also academically.

“I returned and saw under the sun
That the race is not to the swift
Nor the battle to the strong
Neither yet bread to the wise
Nor yet riches to men of understanding
Nor yet favour to men of skill
But time and chance happens to them all”
Ecclesiastics 9 : 11 – 12

Sometimes we feel so let down and disappointed by the circumstances we are faced with, that we wish we could transform the situation and remake the world

“Ah love could you and I with fate conspire
To grasp this story scheme of things entire
Would we not shatter it to bits and then
Remold it nearer the Hearts Desire”.
The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam Stanza 99
Often our efforts seem futile and there seems to be nothing we can do about what is happening around us
“the moving finger writes and having writ
Moves on: not all your piety or wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a line
Nor all your tears wash out a word of it”
The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam Stanza 71

But we should not be discouraged. In life, in medicine there are few “quick fix” situations. But eventually the impact of our efforts begin to show.
‘The smallest effort is not lost
Each wavelet on the ocean tossed
Aids in the ebb tide or the flow
Each raindrop makes some flower glow
Each struggle lessens human woe’      Charles Mac Kay

For an ICU or that matter any Unit or Ward to function optimally, everyone on the team has to do his job well no matter how menial or small the task is.

“We can’t all be captains, we’ve got to be crew
There’s something for all of us here
There’s big work to do, and there’s lesser to do,
And the task you must do is near
If you can’t be a pine on the top of a hill
Be a scrub in the valley – but be
Be the neat little scrub by the side of the rill
Be a bush if you can’ t be a tree
If you can’t be a highway then just be a trail
If you can’t be the sun be a star
It isn’t by the size that you win or fail
Be the best of whatever you are!”
Douglas Malloch

We must also recognize that we can never stop trying to learn. Acquiring medical knowledge is like rowing up stream against a strong current. You have to work very hard to make any headway at all, but if you slacken your efforts you are rapidly swept down stream. I recall that I never felt confident about my medical knowledge as I did when I was a 3rd year Medical Student

“A little learning is a dangerous thing
Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian spring
There shallow draughts intoxicated the brain
And drinking largely sobers us again”
And
Be not the first by whom the new are tried
Nor yet the last to lay old aside
An essay on Criticism Alexander Pope

A sense of humour is something that we need to cultivate if we are to keep our sanity in this stressful world of ours.
If you see the funny side, you’ll stroll along the sunny side
While other folks are walking in the shade
Things will never harass you, embitter or embarrass you
A sense of humour is the finest aid
To wisdom and philosophy, in trouble and adversity
It brings you smiling through the stress and strife
So cultivate the power to see, the little touch of comedy
Behind the trials and tragedies of life

We often do not appreciate the role played by the nurses in the care of critically ill patients. The 3rd stanza of William Wordsworth’s poem “She was a phantom of delight” captures the description of a perfect ICU nurse

“Endurance, foresight, strength and skill
A perfect woman, nobly planned
To warm to comfort and command
And yet a spirit still and bright
With something of angelic light”
And again
Oh woman in our hour of ease,
Uncertain, coy and hard to please
Uncertain as the shade
By the quivering aspen made
But when pain and anguish wring the brow,
A ministering angel thou”

I recall an incident when I was about 14 years old, I was running a very high temperature and having a blistering headache. My mother gently placed a cloth soaked in iced Eu de cologne on my forehead. It felt so soothing that I caught her hand and quote the above poem to her. My mother’s response was to pop a thermometer in my mouth – she thought I was delirious!
Eventually no matter how hard we work we need to go to a very special place we call home. At home at the end of the day we may finally be able to relax with some peace and quiet

Longfellow captures a sense of that relaxation that might come at the end of the day in his poem The day is done
“The day is done and the darkness
Falls from the wings of night
As a feather is wafted downward
From an eagle in his flight
And the night shall be filled with music
And the cares that infest the day
Shall fold their tents like Arabs
And as silently steal away”

As we are just  a little over 2 weeks away from the dawn of the New Year, some of you may be thinking of making new year resolutions. So I thought I would share with you a poem I wrote for the SLMA Newsletter in January 2006:

FOR THIS NEW YEAR
This I would like to be, braver and bolder, just a bit wiser, because I am older
Just a bit kinder to those I may meet, just a bit braver taking defeat
This for the New Year, my wish and my plea,
May this New Year make a good doctor of me
This I would like to be, just a bit finer, more of a smiler and less of a whiner
Just a bit quicker to stretch out my hand, helping another, who’s struggling to stand
This is my wish for the New Year to be
May this New Year make a good doctor of me
This I would like to be, just a bit truer, less of a wisher and more of the doer
Caring, compassionate, more willing to give, living and helping me patients to live
This for the New Year, my wish and my plea,
May this New Year make a good doctor of me

Finally I would like to end with the words of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow from A Psalm of Life
“Lives of great men all remind us
We can make our lives sublime
And departing leave behind us
Footprints on the sands of time
Footprint that perhaps another
Sailing o’er life’s solemn main
A forlorn and a shipwrecked brother
Seeing, shall take heart again
Let us then be up and doing
With a heart for any fate
Still achieving, still pursuing
Learn to labour and to wait”

Ladies and Gentleman I thank you for your attention.

16 comments:

  1. Suriyakanthi, your name means ‘the glowing rays of the sun, and that’s what you have been and brought to your lucky listeners at the opening of this event where you delivered this most meaningful and helpful words by which you would have brought them joy and hope. I admired you as a person during my close association with you in our Batch days. And reading this after over 50 years has brought back even more admiration of how wise, kind and ‘switched on’ to others problems you are! I bet your Scientific Session attendees would have gone home with even a more important message on hearing you, than the more medical lectures in the rest of the sessions. Thank you for sharing your talk with us. Let us have more of your input on the Blog as this is an ideal way to spread your charm, knowledge and worthy bits of advice. I am glad you were the first person I had to interact with as ‘body partner’ dissecting the ‘lower limb’ in the Block. All the best to you and your lovely family, from Zita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Zita Thank you for your kind words. I do not deserve such glowing praise at all. You make me feel humble.
      Thank you also for remembering the meaning of my name correctly.... I used to hate to be called Sun flower. as the Blom. boys used to shout when ever I walked past their hostel.
      R
      Yes I too am so happy that you are the first person I made friends with ( other than the Metho girls ) and our friendship has lasted through the years. May God Bless you. Suri

      Delete
  2. Firstly let me congratulate on your invitation to be the Chief Guest at The Scientific Society Sessions. It is a great honour to the wonderful work you have done over the years and a great honour to our Golden Batch. I note that all those years have not taken toll on your self, but the hall marks are just about visible!!
    Reading over and over again through your lovely spot on this blog I needed to cogitate and digest before I could see my life flashing through on the screen of my lap-top!!Well written with a lot of your usual humour and panache.
    Have a great time at the Sessions and wish you and your family every success and good health in this "kali yuga kala".
    Razaque

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Razaque for your compliments. You are kind. I remember you mostly as a person who always had a smile on his face and a good joke to share. Lovely to be in touch again. Take care

      Delete
  3. Suri, this is my third attempt at trying to get this comment in - hope it’ll be ‘third time lucky’! Thank you for sharing this ‘speech of a kind’ with us. You have dealt with every important aspect of our work ethic through an orderly progression of classic quotes.
    Most of this applies not only to our practice of medicine, but to every other occupation, even to the humble running of a home, where the best outcomes are seen when one’s heart and soul are in the work, done with an attitude of love. As mother Theresa said- we cannot all do great things , but we can do small things with great love.
    One thing that struck me was what you said to your mum when she placed Eau de Cologne on your forehead- My mum did the same when we had fevers, and also sat by the bed and fed us chilled grapes one by one which felt so heavenly and invigorating, but at age 14 it never occurred to me to recite such a beautiful verse to her in return for the love she showed. Suri you have put me to shame that I could take her love for granted ,even though I loved her very much- which I think she knew in later years.
    A wonderful daughter you have been.
    I also thought your own poem for the New Year was great. All in all it was a pleasure to read ,and I hope your audience fully appreciated it. Thank you very much for sharing it.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rohini. I was rather reluctant to send this in though you requested it and Speedy endorsed it. That's why it took me so long... I didn't want my dear batch mates to think I am pontificating !!

      Believe me I meant every single word with all my heart and I am indebted to our great poets and visionaries who put it so elegantly and with such depth of meaning. So glad you liked it. Suri


      Delete
    2. Suri, Thank you for having kept in mind my request of so long ago. I had not been looking into the blog for a while as I had been busy with a host of other things, and I appreciated you alerting me to the post when it appeared.
      I have no doubt that you meant all you said, and that you believed in all of it in your heart of hearts.I know how it is possible, and I admire you for all you have been, apart from your academic achievements. Well done Suri, Take care and do keep in touch. Cheers

      Delete
  4. The moment Suri sent this to me, I knew it was good material for our Blog and as expected. Lucky concurred. It has real depth and understanding and shows what a rounded person she is. Well done Suri, we are all proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Speedy . As you know I had second thoughts regarding sending this in as it was rather long. I am so delighted that Zita,Razaque,Rohini and now you seem to like it and find it worthwhile reading. I am rather taken aback at your effusive compliments as after all what I have done is string the quotes together and have only one poem written by myself .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suriyakanthi
    The speech is eloquent, expressive and persuasive.
    In our ever-changing world, social media dominate our lives. It tries constantly to alter the long-accepted principles of behaviour, morals and attitudes in the way we live and work. It wasn’t long ago when we took our guidance from religion and long-established philosophies. We now live in a world where such guidance has been discarded or relegated to the back of the queue. Your erudite speech to the Clinical Society of Sri Jayawardenepura Hospital is a breath of fresh air to refresh and rejuvenate the ethics, philosophy and commitment of healthcare professionals in their daily work in this challenging world where money in “God”. I like your choice of prose and poetry from Khallil Gibran to Longfellow and Omar Khayyam to reinvigorate, stimulate and fortify my thoughts in this long and tortuous journey through life. For the prodigal son that I am St Paul’s discourse to the Corinthians on Love shows me the way back to the fold. There is no substitute to the brilliant Olde English of the King James version.
    I wish I was there in the audience to hear you deliver this wonderful, thought provoking address. Thank you for sharing your wisdom on this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nihal. I am glad you found my rather long article interesting. I don't agree with you about you being the prodigal son.... you always struck me as a kind, patient, gentle person. Thank you again for your encouraging words Suri

      Delete
    2. Suri
      That was kind of you to think that way of me. At the Faculty I was indeed a quiet retiring sort. Being an only child from an all boy school I was rather shy in the company of girls. I do remember Mahendra at school. I created a website for my old school which is my thank you to Wesley College and my teachers who have made me what I am today. Being there was a sublime experience as I was a boarder and a 24X7 Wesleyite. If Mahendra is interested to visit the site here is the web address: http://wesleycollegecolombo.info/
      May God Bless you and the family

      Delete
    3. Thank you Nihal . I will pass on the website info to Mahendra . though I doubt he will visit frequently as he rarely uses the computer

      Delete
    4. Suri
      As a Methodist it may interest you to read the history of my school for which I researched the Bodleian library of the Oxford University, Methodist Missionary Society in London and the SOAS library of the University of London. The early missionaries endured a tough life due to the hostile environment, difficulties in travel and tropical diseases. I do admire their hope, courage and their good intentions in building and maintaining schools. Those long days and nights spent on the creation of the website gave me a wonderful insight into the richness of life and achievements of this great school.
      Pardon me for advertising my own work!!

      Delete
  7. Suriyakanthi,
    It took me several readings to grasp the famous quotations from renowned authors.It is certainly a literary masterpiece.As Zita mentioned in another blog,our batch is full of multi-talented individuals.
    Well done.au revoir(goodbye).

    ReplyDelete