Friday, January 26, 2018

An Ode to the Blog

By Nihal (ND) Amerasekera

This is a corollary to what Mahendra has written with such elegance. I will reiterate what I had said before on this blog – Friendships are natures great gift to the human race. Ones made in our youth had a certain closeness which we could never replicate later on in life.  Even now those friendships remain close despite the passage of years and the oceans that separate us. They seem priceless and have lasted a lifetime.”  Despite all this our lives have moved on in a myriad of ways and in multiple directions sometimes even without our knowledge. We all have changed mentally and physically to become different people. This makes it more interesting to meet many years later if we accept things have changed. While some of us remained in Sri Lanka others have dispersed far and wide and we have acquired the characteristics and the psyche of our adopted country. This I am sure is evident whenever we meet at reunions. For good reason I am not a great fan of reunions but appreciate its value as so many do. I have enjoyed enormously the company of my medical school friends when we have met at the London reunions. There was that emotional element of nostalgia which was the main driving force. Although they live so near to me, we haven’t kept in contact by phone or seen any of them ever since. This fact can both support and dispute the worthiness of reunions.

 As Shakespeare has said in Julius Caesar there is one person I know who has remained as ‘constant as the northern star’ and he is Mahendra Gonsalkorale. I am certain he would refute this but I mention it as a compliment. When I speak with him the years simply melt away to return to the noise and the din of the Faculty Common Room of the 1960’s.

To meet together as a group in medical school for 5 years was a chance meeting and perhaps our destiny. I think of it no more than that. There were some whom we met on a corridor or a lecture room and became friends for life. There were a few whom we met in our formative years we learnt to avoid. That experience would be common to anyone attending any institution anywhere in the world. During reunions our emotions take over and before we say our goodbyes we plan our next reunion. But infact our lives don’t revolve round reunions as so much goes on in between. We do have our own lives. This is different for those living in Sri Lanka as there are so many of them concentrated in Colombo where space is never a problem and fine catering services are just a phone call away. They are like one family, all have remained close for so many years and have grown up together since medical school.

The loss of friends due to death is inevitable but when they have been close like ‘Claude’ Bernard was to me it leaves an echoing void that cannot be filled. But we all have learnt to accept that and move on as our time will come. So many from our batch have now departed this world. May they find Eternal peace.


Now I come to the Blog which for me is the mainstay, the pillar and the centrepiece of our batch. I have the ability to keep in touch with everyone at anytime. I can say what I like without using profanities. I can write as much or as little as I like. Amazingly when I write to someone on the blog the image I have of the person is what I hold from medical school days. There are the regulars who prop up the blog, the infrequents who enlighten us and the intermittents who mesmerise us. They all provide an invaluable service and long may it continue. Importantly it is a free service for us through the kind courtesy of Lucky Abeygunawardene who has managed it with such meticulous care. It is a labour of love. Reunions will come and go and have their place in our psyche but for me personally for its mere presence 24X7 and ease of use I value the blog more than anything else.

10 comments:

  1. A thoughtful and useful contribution by ND. Let us hope he gets more responses than I got for mine on a similar theme.

    I never cease to be fascinated by the ability of the human mind/brain to produce "videos" in our imagination not only using clips from recall of past events but also with totally conjured up images. For example,I just saw myself giving ND a big hug at the Ella Railway station! Dreams are of course similar but we have no control over them and we do not know that we are dreaming while we are dreaming and do so only when we wake up from a dream and realise that we were dreaming! Similarly, we should easily cultivate good memories of our colleagues when we meet, memories or imaginary visualisations which are conducive to good feelings and happiness, even if they are imaginary. Why not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mahen, Please be assured you are not being ignored !
    Neither are any of the others who have contributed recently.
    Shall endeavor to put ‘pen to paper’ during the weekend.
    Cheers !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nihal , How lovely to see you back !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rohini
    Thank you. It’s so lovely to be back in the saddle again

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal, a thoughtful & thought provoking write up, straight from the heart.
    Interesting last line, to quote you "reunions will come and go and have our place in the psyche but for me personally for its mere presence 24X 7 and ease of use I value the blog more than anything else ". The BLOG is free above all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nihal and Mahen, You have both written about friendships very realistically, thoughtfully, and elegantly.
    (referring to Mahen’s post on 23rd Jan)
    You have each outlined the different directionss friendships can take over time, and the need to accept them with maturity.
    What is of the greatest value to me is the fact that, through the blog, I have found friends -people whom I had not spoken one word to in all of 5 years in med school,who have extended me their friendship.
    They had no need to do this- being separated from me by the vast oceans - their only reason - merely to extend their friendship to me.
    This I consider a very great gift, and say thank you to all these wonderful mates.
    Lucky,a big thank you for having made thiese friendships possible.
    Mahen once mused whether contributing /commenting in the blog was a self-indulgent activity- I wished to disagree with him at the time, but didn’t manage to do so owing to time constraints.
    I write/comment in the blog whenever I can, only as an acknowledgement and appreciation of what our batchmates make the time to do, and to support the blog that Lucky has so generously maintained over the years for no gain to himself.
    I wish I could find the time to do more , and that other batchmates could join us too.
    It is a great place to meet again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very true Rohini. I knew Lucky, ND, Srianee Razaque just to name a few, reasonably well even in the pre-blog era but yourself, Zita, Sumathi are people I have got to know much more now. I suppose unknowingly, we have opened a window into our hearts and minds through our comments and observations. I do enjoy reading the Blog and I also love to hear about our families and the direction they have taken. The Blog is in a way the equivalent of the text in relation to mobile phones compared to making a call. It can be called upon to convey, and accessed to receive, when you are ready and receptive. No interruption to working, sleeping or visiting (toilets or people) !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I may be late to comment but what you have said in this article is exactly how I feel about the Blog about the sadness of the death of a batch mate and about how Lucky and Mahendra’s efforts are helping us all to keep in touch after those five wonderful years of our undergraduate ship. Long may the Blog live! Thanks a lot for your thoughtful article. From, Zita

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks to Rohini, Zita, Indra and Mahen for their thoughtful comments. We can comment when we like or not comment at all. Can drop out for awhile like I did recently and return when we wish without hard feelings!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nihal,
    I forgotto mention about my meeting with "Claude"Bernarnd,also known as Wijesiri Bernard,RADW Bernard.
    I was invited to have a meal with him at his official residence at Embylipitiya/Sooriyawewa.That was around 1975 He was,then a Regional Medical Officer for Anti-Malaria Campaign.I was friendly with him during the Faculty days as well.We had a long chat about the work and I was MOH,Hambantota.He told me his adventures during his over seas training in either Bangkok or Manila.I do not want to reveal those adventures as they were highly personal.I,am sure some of you can guess.
    I also remember a school-mate of Claude;who happened to be our parallel batch at Peradeniya Campus.He spoke highly of Claude.He had a joke about Claude's long other names.His name was Samaraweera and recited Claude's full name-Randeniye Arachchilage Don Wijesiri Bernard.
    I found Claude to be a very jovial fellow with a big smile.
    I,feel sorry that I could not see him,before his departure from this world.
    According to Christian belief,he should be in the Company the Almighty.He was,indeed a member of the Catholic denomination.

    Sumathi

    ReplyDelete