Saturday, September 14, 2024

Some more of my paintings . ND Amarasekera

Some more of my paintings 

by Dr Nihal D Amerasekera

I have moved, hopefully, seamlessly from drawing portraits to landscapes and now to famous buildings. I cannot imagine life without our bricks and mortar. Buildings made of bricks and mortar have existed for over 6500 years and is believed to have been started in the Baluchistan region which is now Pakistan. My drawings are from a selection which have caught my eye.  I have loved these edifices ever since I first saw them fifty years ago. I am certain you have visited them before, but if you haven’t I do hope my paintings and descriptions will bring them closer to you. They will continue to captivate and charm visitors for many years to come.

Lords Cricket Grounds

Lords cricket grounds is called the home of cricket and is owned by the Marylebone Cricket Club. Established in 1814 it is named after Thomas Lord. Playing in a Test at Lord's, still is widely regarded by many cricketers as the pinnacle of their careers. It also houses the world’s oldest sports museum.

The main gate called the Grace gate was installed in 1923 in memory of W.G Grace.

The current pavilion was opened in 1890 after the original pavilion was destroyed by fire. Until 1999 no women were allowed into the pavilion except Queen Elizabeth II. The pavilion still has a strict dress code. The honours boards and the long room are steeped in history and hold cult status for cricketers and cricket enthusiasts. It gives me great pride to see photos of Sri Lankan cricketers adorn the Long Room. As a former president of the MCC the photo of Kumar Sangakkara takes pride of place.

The first University Match between Oxford and Cambridge was held at Lord's in 1827 This is famously called the “Varsity” match. It has been one of my greatest privileges, over several years,  to be a spectator at the varsity matches seated in the splendid pavilion. I have been a regular visitor to cricket at Lords since my arrival in England 50 years ago. Personally, on a summers day there is no better place on earth to be, than the pavilion at Lords, watching the game I love.  Now that I am retired and live near the cricket grounds, I have the privilege to attend as many matches as I wish.

St Paul’s Cathedral London

It is the most famous Anglican Cathedral in the world. There has been a church at this site since AD 603. The original church was destroyed by the Great Fire of London in 1666. The present Cathedral was designed by Sir Christopher Wren and completed in 1710. Its famous dome is one of the most recognisable sights in London.

The Cathedral is a working church and over the centuries has held Royal weddings and celebrated jubilees. Funerals of prominent people too have been held in the church. Venture down to the crypt and discover the tombs and memorials of some of the nation’s greatest heroes, such as Admiral Lord Nelson, the Duke of Wellington and Sir Christopher Wren.

St Paul’s is home to a spectacular array of art including the gilded dome murals. “Light of the world” painting by William Holman Hunt and “Mother and Child” sculpture by Henry Moore are stunningly beautiful. It is well worth a visit. Particularly for Christians, churches of this calibre have a certain aura and ambience that brings them closer to their maker. I must confess I too have been greatly moved by its reverence and piety.

Painting the cathedral is a massive challenge. Drawing the dome with its intricate lines and curves and to maintain the image in 3D is difficult in the extreme. This painting is indeed a labour of love. Trying to capture the outline of St Paul’s Cathedral has given me tremendous pleasure.  When I look at the final product I do see its many deficiencies and how I could improve it. But I have reached the end of my ability. I hope I have done sufficient justice to one of the most iconic and magnificent buildings of the world.

The iconic Tower of London 

It is more than a thousand years old and is steeped in history. The Tower started its life as a castle. During its lifetime it has also been a place of incarceration and suffering with stories of torture and beheadings. Presently it is a tourist attraction housing a famous museum.

The Tower has provided refuge to ravens since the earliest times. King Charles II  (1630- 1685) decreed that the ravens be protected as he believed in the legend that if they left the Tower, the Kingdom and the Tower will fall. The ravens are still seen merrily flying around the Tower and perching on the turrets.  They are most lovingly fed and cared for by the guards.

The dazzling display of the historic Crown Jewels at the exhibition remains one of the main attractions in the Tower. The Crown Jewels are the British monarch’s crown containing the Kohinoor diamond which is displayed with all its glory. The Crown as expected has intense security.

The Chapel of St John the Evangelist in the Tower was built as a place of worship for William the Conqueror, but it was not completed until after his death. This is an Anglo-Norman church and is an architectural gem. The imposing columns, high gallery and the wide aisle for processions are most impressive.

The Tower of London is a must visit on a tour of London.

23 comments:

  1. These are incredible paintings Nihal. It shows your talent as well as a very patient nature. I know it gives you a lot of pleasure and thanks for sharing them with us
    The accompanying text adds a new dimension to them and makes us look at them with a different perspective. I like viewers to first look at the paintings, then read the text and return to the painting. You will I hope see it differently and more in depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen
      Thank you for publishing my efforts. Painting has given me a new lease of life. Now when I look at buildings and people etc I just think to myself how I could draw them. I am still learning.
      I admire greatly people who could draw from memory in free hand, like yourself. That is real talent in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. FROM DHUSHY. Mahendra thank you for forwarding these magnificent paintings of historical buildings by Nihal.
    I am fascinated by these paintings authors minute details and the detailed historical notes to go with it.

    Nihal you are so talented in many ways. It is easy to photograph these buildings than do a painting as it requires great skill. Thank you for sharing these fabulous paintings with us all.

    Warm Regards
    Dhushy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dhushy for staying with our blog and encouraging us to go on and keep it alive. I appreciate and value your kind comments. Thank you. I assure you, It is more perseverence, tenacity and patience than talent.

      Delete
  3. Nihal, I am really impressed by your very beautiful artistry. I have participated in a cocktail party in the Long Room at Lords, in the early 1970s. I have also visited the Oval, Wimbledon, Twickenham, Wembley, Bristol cricket grounds and Crystal Palace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sanath, Thank you for your comment. Glad you like the drawing. The Long Room is a very special place indeed.

      Delete
  4. Nihal, These are amazing paintings of famous buildings. The detail is incredible. You must have so much patience. Great to see another talent emerge. Keep going - Warm Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Rohini
      Good to see you on the blog and thank you for the kind comment. If I can do it anyone can. Its more patience than talent that is needed to get the proportions right and to be obsessive in getting it as closer to reality as possible. Best wishes

      Delete
  5. Hi Nihal
    Thank you for sharing your paintings of famous buildings. The painstaking attention to detail, and their accuracy is truly impressive. Thank you also for your own sketches which make them come alive.
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it should read " your pen sketches"
      Suri

      Delete
    2. Dear Suri
      Thank you for those kind comments. For me drawing is something to do to meditate and be mindful when time seem to hang on me. There are no deadlines and I take my time.
      I do appreciate your visits to the blog to keep it alive and those words of encouragement.

      Delete
  6. Dear Nihal

    Thanks for presenting your wonderful paintings. It is clear you have dedicated long hours to careful observation, producing several superb works of art. I loved how you captured the sunlight bathing the pavilion and ground, and a clear blue sky with wispy white clouds. A day to win the toss and bat first (not what Sri Lanka did in their recent test match at Lords. Having won the toss, to my utter disappointment, they put the opposition into bat).

    I have visited The Tower of London and St Paul’s Cathedral but I can’t remember very much. However, I’m very familiar with Lords Cricket Ground, being an MCC member since 1992.

    Typical British Humour: The Gentlemen’s Toilet is in the basement of the pavilion. It has two doors: one for members to enter and another one to exit.
    When you’re inside, the exit door is clearly marked with the sign “OUT”. The door through which you enter is marked “NOT OUT”. Ha! Ha! I was bowled over with laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Bora
    Thank you for the kind comment. You did give me the inspiration to draw the pavilion in one of your comments about a drawing several weeks ago.
    I am not an MCC member but as a member of the Middlesex Cricket Club get access to the iconic and prestigious pavilion, except for international games. In fact I was in the pavilion for one of the last few matches for the season last Sunday. It was the annual Voneus Village Cup final. I decided to sit in an upper floor and cursed going down to the basement for the toilet. I did see the ” IN – NOT OUT” with great amusement and this cheered me up after cursing the long way down. There was a large "GENTS" on an upper floor last year but it has been converted to a GYM. A sign of the times. I hasten to add the ladies are better provided as there is one for them in the 2nd floor. The Lords have moved in the right direction after not permitting women in the Pavilion since the very beginning. Even one of the famous front gates is named after Hayhoe Flint, a famous cricketing lady. Whatever next!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Correction——It was OUT- NOT OUT
    Nihal

    ReplyDelete
  9. The pavilion at Lords is the space for the great and the good in British society. John Major was a regular and so was Theresa May and many other celebrities. Stephen Fry who was President of the MCC felt the organisation was stinking of privilege and and classism. He wanted to get rid of the famous Eton Vs Harrow game and the Oxford- Cambridge game from the Lord’s calendar. That year feelings ran high. I was then a spectator in the pavilion for the famous Varsity game. The guy seated next to me was an Oxbridge graduate. He had been on the Champagne since the morning. I gave him a nudge and asked him why he was so pissed-off. He said after a series of well pronounced F’s we Oxbridge people run this F….. country and they say we can’t have our cricket at Lords. His like-minded friends seated around him gave him a loud cheer. He filled my glass and filled himself up another of some expensive Champagne. I felt that discretion was the better part of valor and agreed with him without reservation.
    As Bora knows well MCC is an exclusive club. There are a fixed number of members at any one time. A member has to die or resign for a new member to be appointed. The older members have reserved seats and sit together and that is affectionately called the “death row”.
    The dress code for the pavilion is well adhered to. Jacket and tie and proper shoes. No denims and no running shoes like Nike and Adidas. Being of a certain vintage I admire this greatly. I do feel dressing up for the occasion as something to admire and hold on to.
    Nowadays much of society looks down on poshness and privilege. I do abhor arrogance, conceit and pomposity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nihal

    You sound very MCC-like. Your Wesley College upbringing coupled with frequent visits to Lords seem to have shaped your outlook. You would have ticked most of the boxes for MCC membership.

    The Eton Harrow match is the oldest recorded annual cricket fixture (interrupted in war time). I think the Royal-Thomian is the oldest continuous cricket fixture in the world (at least it was pre-Covid). Sanath may be able to confirm this.

    Like you I too am in favour of the old school traditions such as the requirement for the gentlemen to be dressed in a jacket and tie to enter the pavilion.

    Hope to meet you at Lord’s sometime for a chat and a drink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bora
      Yes, we must meet at the home of cricket to enjoy a glass or two.

      Cricket is well and truly entrenched in society where the British extended their Empire. Despite Rudyard Kipling calling cricketers “Flannelled fools” the love for the game has spread far and wide although the sun has set on the British Empire.

      I never miss the Eton V Harrow game at Lords. What amazes me is the etiquette and the good behaviour of the players and the spectators despite the stresses and strains of the game. I thought being away from the constraints of school rules the students would let their hair down. The teenagers behaved much better than their parents who were perhaps under the influence of Lord Bacchus.

      To return to the Wanathamulla Oval, I recall with much nostalgia the Royal Thomian matches I have attended as a guest. They have always been terribly exciting and amusing too. The standard of cricket has always been of the highest order. I am glad traditions are still maintained and long may they last. These are memories we cherish forever.

      Delete
  11. Dear Nihal

    I am glad to learn that you’re a fan of the famous Harrow Eton match which used to be graced by the upper classes of society in the early part of the 20th century.
    Indrajit Coomaraswarmy the former governor of the Central Bank, played in the Eton Harrow match at Lords as a fourteen year old in the nineteen sixties and played for five years, captaining the team in his final year.

    Former Royal Captain Nirmalingam’s son Nimo attended Harrow school in the nineteen seventies. He was a popular and very talented all round sportsman. He played for three years in the big match at Lords, he left school early missing the chance to captain the Cricket Team.

    In the recent past three Sri Lankan boys, de Silva and the two Wijeyratne brothers, captained Harrow School in the Harrow Eton match at Lords.
    Two of Sue Ratnavales cousins were educated at Harrow School, they did not play cricket but one of them may have been the head boy of his house.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nihal and Bora, the Royal -Thomian cricket match is the second oldest cricket match which had been played continuously. The oldest is supposed to be one between two Australian schools.
    The son of two of my former students had played in that match. Jayantha Senaratne, who graduated in 1975, is his father and Manouri Sannasgala who graduated in 1979, is his mother.
    When I worked at the Great Ormond Street Hospital in the early 1970s, one of the Registrars was an old Etonian. When I asked him about Harrow, his reply was " Oh Harrow, on a clear day one could see it from Eton"!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sanath
    Thank you for that information, something to be proud of..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Bora and Sanath,
    During my years at school there was no big match for Wesley. This irked me so much as a kid and recall asking the headmaster why we don’t have a big match. He said in a rather condescending tone “every match is a big match for us”. This has changed now. I am reliably informed that Wesley- St Benedict’s is their big game.
    I have been to all the schools big matches in Colombo with friends. It is a day of good fun and finely contested cricket. The Royal Thomian seem to have the edge for their long history of friendly rivalry. As I now watch the Eton Harrow game at Lords it certainly brings out the kid in me.
    On the theme of cricket we were immensely fortunate to have such a wonderful array of cricketers in the University during our time. They indeed won the coveted Sara Trophy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AI Generated on Big Matches (Cricket) in Sri Lanka:- Big Matches in Sri Lankan cricket are annual school cricket matches between rival schools, often with a long history of competition. They are a significant part of Sri Lankan culture, involving both children and adults. Some of the Big Matches in Sri Lanka include:
    Battle of the Blues: This match is played between Royal College, Colombo and S. Thomas' College, Mount Lavinia. It is also known as the Royal–Thomian Cricket Encounter and has been played since 1879. The name comes from the colors of the two schools' flags.
    Battle of the Blues (Colombo): This match is played over three days.
    Battle of the Blues (Matara): This match is played over three days.
    Battle of the North: This match is played over three days.
    Other Big Matches include:
    Lovers' Quarrel
    Hill Capital Battle of the Maroons
    Battle of the Golds (Jaffna)
    Hill Country Battle of the Blues
    Battle of the Maroons (Colombo)
    Battle of the Saints (Colombo)
    Battle of the Golds (Moratuwa)
    Battle of the Golds (Panadura and Moratuwa)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nihal, Mahendra and Bora,in the past St Benedict's College had a Big Match against Sister Schools, which included St Anne's College ,Kurunegala. Our batchmate, Senarath Jayatilleke, who studied at St. Anne's College, played in that Big Match. He may have played against Cyril Ernest.
    Cyril was in Colombo about a month ago and Ranjith Fernando ( former Ceylon cricketer and commentator)and Ramani Fernando (beautician), hosted a party at their residence and I was invited. Former Thomian and Ceylon cricketer Mano Ponniah was also there. The brother of former editor Lasantha Wickramatunga, who was assassinated was also there; he had opened bowling for SBC.

    ReplyDelete