Friday, September 27, 2024

More paintings by Nihal D Amerasekera

More paintings by Nihal D Amerasekera

It gives me great pleasure to post another batch of Nihal’s beautiful paintings with brief and helpful descriptions.

Sigiriya, the citadel in the sky


It seems the area around Sigiriya was inhabited since prehistoric times. There is evidence that Buddhist monks lived in caves around Sigiriya since the 3rd century BC.

The intriguing historical story of Sigiriya is well known to every Sri Lankan. I first learnt about it from the primary school history book written by S.F De Silva who was then the Director of Education.  The rock fortress was established in 477 AD by King Kashyapa. This was after a coup, treachery and patricide. Kashyapa seized the throne from his father, King Dhatusena. The rightful heir was his half-brother Moggalana who then fled to India. Moggalana finally returned and fought a war to get his Kingdom back.  Kashyapa unwilling to surrender, took his own life.

After the reign of Moggalana, the Sigiriya complex became a Buddhist monastery.

I worked my internship in Kurunegala and lived there for a further 2 years in close proximity to this ancient rock fortress. I remember a trip that the interns organised to visit Sigiriya and recall Sirry Cassim being a part of that group.

As it is so well known worldwide for its mesmerizingly beautiful Sigiriya frescoes, tourists flock here in their thousands. To provide accommodation for tourists many posh hotels have sprung up in the area. Sigiriya is now a UNESCO World Heritage site.

Walking in the fortress amidst the ruins and visiting the frescoes I always felt a closeness to the past and the lives of the ordinary people that lived there. The simple folk must have been hugely inspired by the intense religious fervour of the time. I still recall most warmly the helpful kindness and the generosity of the rural folk of the area when I visited them in the late 1960’s.

 Table Mountain in Capetown


Table mountain is a tall awe-inspiring landmark in Cape Town that is an iconic backdrop to this beautiful city by the sea. It is 1085 metres high and has a length of 3 kilometres at the top. As its name implies this mountain has a unique plateau at the top. Occasionally  a thin band of clouds seem to sit on the plateau and people call this the “Table Cloth”.

On my trip to the city, I took the cable car to the top. From the summit there is a panoramic view of Cape Town and the wilderness around. The mountain is within a national park and is said to have its own unique fauna and flora.

It is a World Heritage Site. The local people consider the mountain as a spiritual place and a symbol of their heritage.

Newlands Cricket Ground in Cape Town has been described as one of the most beautiful cricket grounds in the World. As a cricket lover I enjoyed visiting Newlands. At the time there was a game in progress. I watched the match with stunning views of the Table mountain in the background. This is something I will never ever forget.

 Uluru (Ayers) rock in Central Australia


This is a World Heritage listed icon in the Northern Territory of Australia, 450 miles from Alice Springs. This monolith is 348m high and 550 million years old. For the local Aboriginal people this has a special religious and cultural significance. I was immensely fortunate to visit the rock in the evening on a clear day in March 2009. The changing colours of the rock at sunset from ochre brown to deep orange and intense red is breathtakingly beautiful. These colour changes are seen in the reverse at sunrise. Being there at night is an awesome and magical experience never to be forgotten as one can feel the spirituality of the place.

I recall that many of us were keen to climb the rock . Our travel guide mentioned that it is a sacred rock and the local people preferred if we did not climb, and so we didn’t.  The Aboriginal people believe that their ancestors reside in the rock and in the surrounding area. Instead I walked around Uluru in the fading light of a fine evening. There were secluded spots to spend time in solitude. I did feel a deep sense of attachment to the place. It is a magical experience to see the stars drift inexorably in the sky with all its majesty. Although I schooled in the big city my roots are in the rustic part of Kegalle where my ancestors lived and died. The peace and tranquillity of the place  always invoked a certain calmness that transported  me to be close to those who lived their before me. It is a feeling I find hard to describe.

Much of the flora and fauna are unique to Uluru. I still have fond memories of our visit to the Uluru and Alice Springs.

 Utuwankanda, Saradiel’s hideout


My ancestral home was far away from the noise and grime of the big city, in a secluded place in Kegalle. From one of our rear windows, we could see the elegance and majesty of Utuwankanda in the distance towards Mawanella. Although I am now separated by huge swathes of land and oceans from home, I still dream of those years and recall with much nostalgia my happy childhood.

Utuwankanda and its most famous inhabitant, Saradiel,  have now entered the folklore and legends in Sri Lankan history.

Saradiel was born in 1835. For some, he remains a Robin Hood like hero. Locals believe he stole from the rich and distributed to the poor. To others he was a highwayman, bandit and an outlaw. Allegedly he had committed murder too. Some historians believe Saradiel intentions were to start an insurgency against British Rule and he was not just a common criminal. Saradiel was also famous for his prison escapes. Some locals were convinced he had special superhuman powers.

When Saradiel was finally apprehended he was tried in the Kandy Courts. The jury found him guilty. He was sentenced to death along with his fellow bandit Marrikar. They were both sent to the gallows in May 1864.

Saradiel’s legend lives on. Now there is a Saradiel Village with paddy fields surrounded by green mountains. The mountain is a steep and tiring climb to the top through rubber plantations. On the top are craggy rocks that have formed into caves. Many tourists travel to the top of Utuwankanda and explore these caves. The summit can be wet, windy and cold with many leeches for company. It has to be said, this can be a perilous journey to the top and need extreme care.

The view of the distant Utuwankanda that I saw as a child is still deeply imprinted in my psyche. This I will keep and cherish until the end of my days.

16 comments:

  1. Mahen
    Thank you for posting my contribution to the blog which I appreciate greatly. I do realise it is difficult to comment on paintings when there are so many one after the other. But let the photos and script be just a platform for discussion on any topics that may arise as we saw previously when cricket took centre stage. Just let the wind take it away to the topics of your choice.
    We must keep the blog alive and well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your paintings bring these famous sites to life. I am so impressed by your patience and attention to detail. The synopsis of historical facts makes them even more interesting.

    I have been to all apart from Table Mountain. Another interesting fact about Sigriya I recall is the metal spiral stairway leading to the fresco gallery. It is from an old London undeground station! I saw that long before I saw one in the UK. I also remember being frightened by the enormous bee hives!

    Uluru was an amazing and almost unbelievabe experience. I have been to Australia many time as I have so many brothers there but I visited Uluru only once although I have seen it before from an aeroplane. It was almost like Science Fiction, to have this enormous natural structure in an otherwise featureless landscape. The changing colours you mentioned with the time of day was not mythical but incredibly beautiful. Human beings from time memorial conjure supernatural powers when they see enormous structures and it was no surprise to me that Uluru is regarded as sacred. I think this is the reason that most religious places of worship tend to be large: cathedrals.mosques, dagabos for example. Believers want us to feel miniscule and almost insignificant before these mighty Gods!

    Thanks again for another wonderful collection Nihal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am puzzled by the lack of feedback to such a lovely post. Possible reasons;- some are sleeping, others are half-asleep, some are on holiday, some don't read the blog, others read but don't comment, has the Blog has reached its natural expiry date? Whatever the reasons are, it certainly doesn't enourage contributors who take the trouble to contribute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mahen for your efforts and concern to keep the Blog alive. The 1960 Blog which was active for many years have now bitten the dust. We will continue to keep it going for as long as possible. As we age I realise it is not easy to contribute or even to comment. Let us make an effort to make it last. If these are the last gasps of a once vibrant forum and community - so be it.

      Delete
  4. Nihal and Mahendra, sorry for my late response. Nihal, I am lost for words to respond to your most recent paintings. Some years ago, I visited Pidurangala, which is next to Sigiriya. We climbed to the temple on top and on our way down, I came across a Buddhist monk, climbing up with difficulty, carrying a bucket of water. When I inquired from him, he told me that the the pump at the base of the mountain was not working any more. When I made further inquiries, I discovered that many houses had been provided with electricity, after the initial installation and insufficient current was reaching the pump for it to function. I contacted Karu Jayasuriya (husband of our batch-mate Wasantha Ovitigala) who was the Minister in charge of Power and Energy of the Government at that time and discussed the problem with him. He agreed to provide three phase electricity and the problem was resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath, Thank you as always so supportive of our efforts. I have not climbed Pidurutalagala but have seen it with all its glory and in all weathers. Glad you were able to help the clergy and the many others with your wisdom.

      Delete
  5. Always good to see you Sanath. No need to apologise really as I know you are one of the few regular supporters left! You input is always welcome. Your story was beautiful. I am so glad that you were able to resolve the problem.
    I agree with you that Nihal's post is really high class and worth disseminating. No doubt a few others will comment and I am fairly certain that one of them will be Srianee (Bunter)! Thanks again. Chira too will respond I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nihal
    Well done the paintings are great.I have been to the top of table mountain in the cable car.Whenever I watch a test match played at the Newlands cricket ground , the Table mountain and the Brewery are featured prominently.
    I vaguely remember that eventually saradiel was pardoned but due to an error in communication he was sent to the gallows, I may be wrong.
    Mahen
    I was on holiday and half asleep after the holiday.Your efforts at keeping the Blog going are much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bora,
    Good to hear from you and thanks for the comment. There is much intrigue about Saradiel's life and also his death. He was a highwayman and committed murder hence the full force of British justice.
    Newlands is a fine memory to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nihal
    I am sorry for the delay in posting a comment.
    I am back in sunny Sri Lanka.
    I enjoyed looking at your great paintings and the notes. You have taken a lot of care and time over these paintings.
    We are thankful to you for keeping our Blog alive with your lovely Paintings.
    I like the 'Table Mountain' painting the best. To me it looks like a beautiful photograph.
    Keep it up !
    Wishing you all the very best.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chira
    No need to apologise as you've had a hectic schedule for a month in the UK. It was lovely to see you and your daughter in Gants Hill. I hope you will restart your paintings again to mesmerise us with reality in colour.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Nihal, Mahen et al,
    My deep and sincere apologies for the absence from the blog. We are in SL for a family bereavement which was preceded by prolonged ill health.
    Nihal I’m a fervent and a longtime admirer of your writings and artistic endeavours.; as also of Mahen’s valiant efforts and other’s too. Hopefully will be back after the storm has cleared.
    Your current and previous paintings, particularly that of Lords was outstanding and brought back many delightful memories.
    With much affection to all.
    Kumar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kumar,
      It is always such a pleasure to hear from you. Thank you for those kind comments. Take care my friend and I wish you well.

      Delete
  11. How lovely to hear from you Kumar! It was sad to hear about your family bereavement. You must be thankful to be in Sri Lanka at this time of need.
    We all agree that we are very fortunate to be able to appreciate Nihal's literary and artistic talents through our blog.
    Pleasedo send another one of your much appreciated posts to me and I shall be delighted to publish it.
    All the best to you and Kanthi

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are incredible! kind regards Rohan Subasinghe

    ReplyDelete