Saturday, August 24, 2024

More paintings from Nihal D Amerasekera

More paintings from Nihal D Amerasekera

ND has sent a few more beautiful paintings he has done with very useful descriptions for each.

As we have seen., he is a very talented (and modest) artist.- Speedy












Regents Park

Regents Park is a 410-acre area in North London. It was made into a pleasure garden in 1810 by King George V. It is managed by a team of experienced gardeners of the Royal Parks, a Royal charity.

Regents Park is just a five-minute walk away, virtually on my doorstep. It is my gym and also my place of refuge from the inevitable storms of life. There is a secluded cove at the edge of the lake with a bench ideal for clearing one’s thoughts and meditation. Many ducks, swans, and cormorants frolic in the shimmering waters of the lake, adding to its serenity.

Although the park is a magnet for visitors all year round. For those who yearn for solitude, there are quiet corners hidden away from public gaze for relaxation.

The Queen Mary rose garden is my favourite. It is a haven for bees and butterflies too. I have sat on the seats by the roses admiring the sweet smell and the wondrous colours all through June to October.

My painting is of the great fountain. There is a bowl for the birds to bathe and preen themselves. The fountain is surrounded by flowers so well watered by its generous spray. 

The Peradeniya Botanical Gardens

Although I was born in the citadel in the hills, I never had the good fortune to live there except while on holiday. Nevertheless, whenever I visit that beautiful city, I feel a link and a closeness like nowhere else on earth. It is true that I have left my heart in that ancient capital.

The Peradeniya botanical gardens is not far from the city centre. The gardens are considered as one of the finest in the world. I have made countless visits to the gardens. Those visits with family and later with friends have left an indelible mark in my memory and recall them with much nostalgia.

The park’s 147 acres display nature's charm and elegance, which have survived the wars and the destructive forces of nature.

Its origin dates back to the reign of King Wickramabahu III around 1371. During the British rule it was unused and neglected. The gardens  were revived in 1821 to grow cinnamon and coffee. It was only in 1843 that a formal botanical gardens was established. Successive British superintendents managed the gardens with great care and affection. They handed the gardens over to the Department of Agriculture in 1912.

During WWII, Lord Mountbatten commandeered it and used it as his headquarters for the Allied Forces. This famous location by the Mahaveli River was used for the film Bridge on the River Kwai.

The Peradeniya Botanical Gardens will remain in my memory forever despite my long “exile” in a foreign land.





















The Hakgala Botanical Gardens

The Hakgala Botanical Gardens is one of the finest gardens in the world. Situated by the Nuwara Eliya—Badulla road, it has attracted visitors from all over the world. The garden was established in 1861 to plant Cinchona and later for the experimental planting of tea. It was not until 1884 that a botanical garden was established.

The area is featured in the epic book The Ramayana when Sita was offered a pleasure garden in the same area as Hakgala. At the time, it was called Ashok Vatika. The area was named Sita Eliya, where the Sita Amman temple, which exists to this day, was built.

During the 1970s, I worked at the Central Blood Bank in Colombo. My work took me to every corner of Sri Lanka to collect blood. This remains a most memorable and cherished memory. Then I travelled in my rugged and reliable VW Beetle. When in the hill country, I made it a point to visit the Hakgala Gardens. The views of the pristine green mountains partly covered in mist and the sound of the trickling streams still remain etched in my soul. I have drawn the entrance to the gardens.  It was here the landscape changed most dramatically from the endless pine forests to geometric patterns of colourful flowers and foliage. Then my heart leapt up to behold its beauty.

I feel a tinge of sadness not to see the gardens again.

14 comments:

  1. Mahen
    Thank you for posting my meagre creations. Let these be just fillers between more interesting postings. I am new to painting and landscapes have always been a great challenge for me..
    As rain splatters my windows getting out of the apartment is a near impossibility. Painting will remain my refuge. The strong wind and drizzly rain reminds me that autumn is not far away. It breaks my heart to bid goodbye to the summer that came to us late this year. Let us enjoy what we have at present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dhushy -Mahen thank you for posting these beautiful paintings by Nihal. Places familiar to us all both in UK snd mother Lanka. His interesting write up is much appreciated as always. Thank you Nihal.
    With Warm Wishes
    Dhushy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhushy
      Thank you so much for your kind comments. Glad you like my paintings and the write-up. We all appreciate your support for the blog and the community.

      Delete
  3. Nihal, thank you for sharing these beautiful images you have created of these famous gardens. It takes a lot of work to keep them looking so pristine. As Dushy has written, the historical details you have shared are much appreciated as well. (Dushy is an accomplished gardening maven, in case people didn't know.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Srianee,
      So lovely to hear from you and thank you. The weather has quietly turned more autumnal giving me more time to paint and relax my body and soul.

      Delete
  4. Nihal , Thank you for your paintings capturing the breathtaking beauty of famous gardens both in the UK and our beloved motherland. They are certainly a joy forever!
    Thank you also for the pen sketches which are are interesting and informative.
    Well done. Keep wielding the brush!
    Suri
    .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suri,
    Thank you for your support for my drawings and also helping to keep our Blog alive. I started painting rather late in life hence they will hopefully get better. The cool breeze and the intermittent showers are ushering in the autumn. Soon the leaves will turn crimson and fall away. Before they fall the riot of colour in the landscape is a painters paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Nihal
    Thanks for posting the lovely paintings.Very impressed with the way you have presented the background of trees and shrubs in the" Peradeniya gardens",Particularly the mixture of sunlit and the shady areas.

    In 1959 I visited these gardens for the first time,all by myself hoping for "Luck be a lady today and not pennies from heaven". After some time I went and sat on one of the benches.Shortly afterwards someone came and sat close to me, started chatting in a friendly manner, soon received an invitation for afternoon tea at a hotel in Kandy town.Unfortunately it was from a man.As a true Thomian I politely refused and made a hasty retreat.When I related this incident to a friend he chuckled and said "Probably your shapely bum'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bora
      Glad you like my landscapes. Thank you for taking the time to write. Shaded areas are done well as I am a shady character too!!
      Your story reminds me of a walk I did in Athens on my own as my wife preferred to shop. It was a blisteringly hot day as I was looking for some cold drinks a man came over and said do you wan a cold drink? I said yes sure. He asked me to follow him. After a 10 minute walk he turned into a narrow lonely alley. Something told me he is upto no good and turned in the opposite direction and quickly got lost in the crowd. Whether it was robbery or something else I really do not know but was happy to pay for a Coca Cola and enjoy it in full view of the elegance of the Parthenon high up on the Acropolis. The Coke never tasted better.

      Delete
    2. Bora, what surprised me about your adventure was this. How did he spot that you were a Thomian!

      Delete
  7. Nihal
    Thanks for letting us view these beautiful works of art. So the great portrait artist has become a great landscape artist. Welldone !
    As Bora says I too appreciate the manner in which the trees are highlighted with shade and brightness.
    I like the Regents Park the best. Actually I feel like visiting this when I come to UK next month.
    You have educated us with so much knowledge.Looking forward to seeing more of these in the near future.
    I have submitted my last instalment of paintings and I hope to do some embroidery.
    Hope you will keep the Blog alive with your paintings.
    All the best !
    Please excuse me for the late entry as I have been very busy with many things.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chira. Thanks for the latest set of your superb paintings. They are all ready for posting and I shall do so after a few days , giving Nihal's paintings a fair airing and exposure (decent!).

      Delete
    2. Hello Chira
      Thank you for your kind comments and glad you like my amateur paintings. I look forward to seeing your efforts soon. Painting indeed has given me hours of pleasure as I'm sure it does for you too. The Blog is an invaluable asset at this time of our lives to remain in contact. See you soon.

      Delete
  8. Mahendra and Nihal
    I am looking forward to seeing all of you on the 7th Sept.
    I enjoy painting and I get a lot of pleasure when the end result resembles the original.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete