Tuesday, May 28, 2024

REMEMBRANCE DAY (7) Kumar Gunawardane

REMEMBRANCE DAY (7) Kumar Gunawardane

CAMELOT AND ELYSIUM

“Don’t let it be forgot,

That once there was a spot,

For one brief shining moment,

That was known as Camelot.”

To many, the years in our beloved Alma Mater was Camelot. To some like me, it was a prelude to the Elysium that lay by the sea in the hamlet of Mahamodera. Memories abound of both, which brighten my sunset years, waking up my dormant neurones, in a burst of joy.

I lament having limited myself to a select special group in those halcyon years. That gap, however, is now being filled by the recollections of our blog mates, Mahen, Nihal, Bora, Srianee, Suri, Sanath, Chira et al. I rejoice reading again and again the reminiscences and exploits of the Knights of our own Round Table in Kynsey Road, and also of the charming female Confreres (1) who stood shoulder to shoulder with us in good times and bad. They revive, even for a brief shining moment, the grandeur and the glory of those golden days.

Memories

The clinical appointments were boring, occasionally terrifying and are best forgotten. The one exception was the professorial gynaecology term. The dimly lit, forbidding ward became a sanctum, owing to the kindness and beauty of a nonpareil. I would look forward each day to the setting down of the sun, to venture forth, clean-shaven, sweet smelling, clad in a fresh white shirt and slacks for a couple of hours of bliss. Had I known the lyrics, I would have crooned endlessly, “Heaven, I’m in Heaven.”

Galle evokes many memories which jostle for primacy, but it is the journeys that stand out. The first was the drive, in Sunna’s Renault Dauphine on the day prior to taking up duties as interns. He was an accomplished driver, and we sped along the ancient highway, past sleepy villages and magnificent bays with golden beaches and foaming surf, chatting all the while. The ambience, the terrain and the conversation are still imprinted in my psyche. The return trip on my first weekend off with Rohini S, on a gently rolling train carriage, too, was equally memorable, and the conversation and company delightful. There were other trips; a hair-raising ride on a pitch-black night on Sunna’s motorbike to Matara and back, a wildlife safari in his jeep and a long excursion to Nuwara Eliya to see our dear friend Amitha.

The epic journey that began in Kynsey Road and traversed four continents now lingers in the Antipodes. I will forever remember the friendships that sweetened and enriched my way. 

As the poet Khalil Gibran says.

"In the sweetness of friendship,

Let there be laughter and sharing of pleasures, For in the dew of little things,

Does the heart find its morning and is refreshed".

Note from Speedy: 1. Confreres- Fellow members of a profession 


13 comments:

  1. Welcome back to Blog land Kumar! A wonderful piece of writing, yet again. I enjoyed reading your reminiscences and learnt a new word, Confreres, the meaning of which I explained in a foot note.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kumar
    It is lovely to hear from you after such a very long time. Where on earth have you been ? Tempus fugit!! As time flies it is important to stay in contact. We are separated by vast swathes of land and oceans and meeting in person may not be possible but the ubiquitous ether is forever ready to keep us connected.
    It is true those faculty days are a distant memory as much water has flown under the bridge. But it was a period of carefree innocence, idealism, and pleasure associated with our youth which Shakespeare in his wisdom called " Salad Days".
    We hope very much you will stay with the blog as we need you more than ever as we all ride into the sunset in the fullness of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely correct Nihal, we missed you Kumar. Please do not hesitate to send me contributions. We would like to hear from Rohini too!

      Delete
    2. Yes Mahen, Here I am ! Thank you for all your efforts with the blog -

      Delete
    3. Sorry this got published before I had finished - May be that was all I was meant to say ! Kind Regards

      Delete
    4. Rohini, it is great to see your words on the blog again! I am also prone to long absences sometimes. It is lovely, however, to reconnect with a sentence or two. We'll talk soon.

      Delete
  3. Kumar
    Thank for your contribution.
    Lovely to hear from you after a very long time. As Nihal asks 'where have been' ? I am adding hibernating.
    Mahendra is keeping the Blog alive with great difficulty. We are trying to help him as responses are dwindling down. Why don't you try and help ?
    This is a forum where we could communicate and know about our batchmates, otherwise how are to know that 56 batchmates have passed away.
    It is good to have a remembrance day and recollect all those lovely memories of our departed batchmates.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kumar,
    Nice to hear your " voice " again . I can remember that we often came home from Kynsey Rd travelling together in the same bus. We got off at Dehiwela junction. You had to take another bus to get to your home on Hill street. I only had to cross the road. I remember your prowess as a cricketer, being in the in the 1st eleven at STC. Please do keep in touch.
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kumar, I have heard that you had to compete with Gamini Marapone for a place in the STC cricket team, but you were pipped at the end because Gamini was considered to be a better batsman. Gamini passed away recently and his funeral had been very well attended. B W R Thomas who was a right arm leg spinner told me that when STC played St. Benedict's College, your excellent wicket keeping had helped him to bag plenty of wickets which had cemented his place in the team in 1960. That year we nearly won the Big Match and Kiththa Wimalaratne excelled in bowling. Our best fielder, Perayerawar, dropped a "sitter" at cover point off Kiththa Wimalaratne's bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath
      When Lareef the 1960 Thomian captain was my house guest,One day I asked him why was Gamini preferred to kumar?.That year the Thomian batting was weak, hence , as you stated,they went for the better batsman rather than the keeper.
      Sad to hear that Gamini passed away.In 1955 Lareef ,Gamini and I shared the same bench.Last met him at Lareef's daughter's wedding.

      Delete
  6. Hi Kumar
    Thanks for the rich language,enjoyed the post even though I had to refer to the dictionary re- Nonpariel. "Dim lights and beauty ..." rings a bell and takes me back to 1965."I am in heaven dancing cheek to cheek to cheek"was sung by Fred Astaire.It was a good thing you did not know the lyrics, definitely the labour ward was not the place.Nat king Cole's- "Come closer to me" may have been worth a try.
    Many years after qualifying I was chatting to a quiet, much admired and sort after batchmate. When I mentioned to her that a close friend of mine adored her, she instantly replied in sinhalese, "why did he not tell me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lareef invited me for his daughter's wedding which was held in a posh hotel in Tangalle, well in advance. Unfortunately as I was overseas, I could not participate.

    ReplyDelete

  8. Dear kumar,
    How wonderful it was to recieve this exquisitely beautiful piece by private email - Not only would I have not wanted to miss it, but I was also concerned when I hadn't recieved a response to my email query as to how you were doing.
    I realize as Isabelle Allende said- “ True friendship resists time, distance , and silence “ . I am happy to see you’ve surfaced at last !
    I remember well that train journey from Galle to Colombo, entranced by a gorgeous golden sunset with a charming gentleman beside me ! A lovely memory to brighten my days !
    Do keep your “nonpareil” ! prose floodgates open - We’ll be waiting !
    With love and best wishes to both Kanthi and you - Rohini

    ReplyDelete