Wednesday, May 22, 2024

REMEMBRANCE DAY – (5) Chirasri Jayaweera Bandara

REMEMBRANCE DAY – (5)

 A note to all. If you look at the "Post category index" (which is in alphabetical order) on the Right side of the page (the grey section next to the posts), after "Most recent comments", you can see "Remembrance Day(30)", indicating 30 posts in the Blog. If you click on this, you can access ALL the Remembrance Day posts since inception as you scroll down. When you come to the last one on the screen, click on "older posts", and the next lot will appear. Please use this Blog facility to group any of the categories listed. I don't think many of you are aware of this. Hope you find this useful-Speedy

We continue to remember our dear departed friends with contributions from batchmates. This is from Chirasri

My tribute to four wonderful friends. I have added more recollections in the comments to other remembrance posts. 

by Chirasri Jayaweera Bandara

Zita Perera Subasinghe

Zita was a dear friend of mine, and I miss her terribly. I associate her demise with great sadness. She was a lovable person who always had a smile on her face. She thought highly about people, and I have never heard her talk ill of anyone. 

I have associated with Zita very closely. We did our internship together with Dr. Misso at the General Hospital, Colombo. When I was in the UK for my Postgraduate studies between 1996 and 1999, I visited Zita and her family and had meals at her place. I also worked in the UK for six months in 1986, 1992, and 1998 and spent weekends at Zita’s place. Being of the same speciality, we used to meet each other also at college meetings and congresses. 

I admired her self-determination and courage to sit for our local MS Ophthalmology exam conducted by the Postgraduate Institution of Medicine Colombo. Cassim and I were her examiners. She passed and worked at the Karapitiya Hospital and Sri Jayawardenapura Hospital, Kotte. 

We used to visit each other and have meals together. One day, when they visited my home, Zita and Joe brought a large (40” x 28”) framed beautiful picture. This still adorns the wall of one room. I will never forget Zita, and I will always remember her. This picture gives me pleasant memories. 

Our family, Ranjit and our two children, visited Zita in 2004 and had lunch at her South End on Sea home. She and Joe took us to the Seafront, and we had a lovely time. Happy Memories! 

One day, I got an E-mail from Zita saying she was stranded in Spain without money and asking whether I could send her £2000. Since I could not contact her, I sent this money. When I realised it was a fraud, I contacted Barclays Bank London to stop payment. Luckily, the money was not sent, but I lost £100. Subsequently, she gave me a cheque for £100 when she met me in Sri Lanka at our batch reunion, which I did not accept. I asked her what friends are for if we cannot help each other in a time of need. 

I was constantly in touch with Zita on WhatsApp. The last time she heard that Ranjit was ill, she said that she would pray for him and that he would definitely get better. 

Zita is an artist who made beautiful greeting cards, which I admired. She is an extraordinary person who bravely and with unbelievable courage faced challenges to her health. I admire her attitude. She is a shining example for us to follow if we face a similar situation. 

I was fascinated by her book of poems. What talent to write these 41 poems! She expressed her views and ideas in verse with rhyme and reason. I must congratulate Rohan for taking the initiative to get this book printed. I am sure Zita would have been so happy to see her own innovations. Well done Zita and Rohan. When I read her last two poems, ‘Dialogue with Death’ and ‘The End’, it simply filled my eyes with tears which overflowed.

Zita had a very supportive family. Joe, Rohan, and Nisha made her tasks easier. Let me congratulate Rohan for removing pleuritic fluid from her chest once a week for about one year. You are great, Rohan, looking after your mum with such enthusiasm. We appreciate your deed greatly.

Zita has had a lovely life, leaving behind fond memories. She is missed by her family, friends, and batch mates. May she rest in peace.                                

Priya (Gunaratna) de Silva

Priya was a very good friend of mine, and I miss her very much.  She was friendly and helpful and saw the brighter side of everything.

I used to travel to Medical College in a private car and pick up late Priya and Kamini from Dickmans Road and Padmini from Isipathana Mawatha. During College days, we were in and out of our houses.

When I went to Kandy as a Consultant Eye Surgeon, she and her family lived there. We used to visit each other and have meals together. When their younger daughter Anjali (6 - 7 years old) had an Eye injury, I treated her.

One day in Kandy, when I was driving home in the hot sun, suddenly, the whole windscreen cracked up like a jigsaw. I just couldn't see to drive. With difficulty, I moved the car to the side and stopped. From nowhere, Priya came to my rescue. She helped me contact Walkers, got the car towed, and dropped me off at home.

Later, when we came to Colombo, we visited each other and had meals together.

Priya, Chula, her husband, and her daughters used to consult me about their eyes at my residence. My husband Ranjit knew Chula as they worked together in the past.

We attended their daughters’ weddings. The meal was Vegetarian. Sharini, the elder one, married our batch mate Swarna Vithana's nephew. They live in the USA. Anjali, the younger one, married DB Nihalsinghe's son, and they live in Australia.

I am in touch with Chula as he and his domestic consult me about their eyes. My son, who is a Doctor, helped Chula and his domestic's son at Kalubowila Hospital.

Priya was a lovely person, and I miss her very much. May she rest in Peace.

Kamini (Goonawardena) Ferdinando

I received news of Kamini's death in 2021 with a great deal of sadness.

She was a quiet, friendly and ’Prim and proper’ lady.

I used to travel to Medical College in a private car, pick up late Kamini and late Priya off Dickmans Road, and Padmini from Isipathana Mawatha.

I did an Internship at The Castle Street Hospital for Women, and I think she, too, did an Internship there. Kamini went to New Zealand first, and others followed much later. They came to my residence to get their eyes checked on several occasions before they left. 

Sadly,I lost contact with them.

JG Wijetunge.

I remember him as a quiet, rather shy, well-mannered batchmate who is to talk to us on and off during College days.

He was an Eye Surgeon who was on my council when I was President of the College of Ophthalmologists in 1999 and 2000. I used to meet him at our College meetings and at the annual Congresses.

He used to see patients at the Nawaloka Hospital, Colombo and the nurses used to tell me that he took great care of the patients spending a lot of time writing down everything. He was a conscientious worker.

When he was ill, I saw him at his residence. His wife took great care of him

14 comments:

  1. Mahendra
    Thank you very much for taking care to publish the above.
    As you suggested I have added to Suri's Remembrance day 3, re Suren Iyer and to ND's Remembrance day 4, re JC Fernando.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew JG quite well. I used to play tennis with him on a regular basis at the College House courts. Both of us lived in Wellawatte (I lived down 42nd Lane and JG down Arethusa Lane). I used to cycle to his residence and travel together. When I got married to Buddhika in 1976, JG was my best man (there were only few friends who were bachelors at that time). His father , H E Wijetunge ,who was a lawyer, captained the Royal College cricket team in 1927 and in 1925, he played together with J R Jayewardene. In 1927, J R Wilson (later consultant physician) and Sydney de Soysa (later Senior DIG ), played in the same team. In the mid 1970s, on a Sunday morning, H E W met with a train accident near our house and died on the spot. I had to phone J G and convey the tragic news. J G got married to Menik rather late in his life, although he had an affair with her for along time. Latterly he was badly demented due to multiple cerebral infarcts. When I visited him once, he inquired from me what my speciality was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your recollections Sanath. I knew he was badly affected by Dementia but I have no idea how he lived his last few years. Hopefully he made the best of it. A reminder to all of now in that vulnerable period to remain physically , mentally and socially active as much as possible.

      Delete
    2. Lama
      I had met JG's wife Menik several times at our College annual Congresses. She was very friendly and I was happy for JG that he married even late in life. He was lucky that she was there for him during his last stages of his life as he was ill, to look after him so well.
      Chira

      Delete
  3. Chira, you recounted your memories of Four lovely people so well. I didn't have much contact with JG or Kamini after qualifying but Zita was someone I had maintained contact for a long time. A very special person as I have said many times before. Priya had that amazing quality of being cheerful and loving. Vitality is the word that springs to mind. I met her many times in my trips to Sri lanka. I did have a short telephone conversation with Kamini a few years ago but never met her after she left Sri Lanka. I remember her extremely well as a fellow sufferer of ward classes and sigs! We admired her, both from the anterior and posterior aspects! She and Susheila were seen together very often. All of us mere males admired their beauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahendra
      I Miss them very much especially Zita and Priya as they were very close to me.
      I am still in contact with Nisha, Rohan and Joe. They are missing Zita very badly. They should console themselves as they looked after Zita so well helping her to be brave, courageous to go through those painful, depressing last stages of her life. I admired her for the manner in which she faced bravely the chalenges with a smile on her face.

      Priya too had to face life challenges with her Cancer.
      I visited her several times when she was ill. Once I met Susheila who had come from UK to see her. She was cheerful and with a smile on her face. She faced life with great fortitude which I admired.
      Chula is still in contact with me regarding eye problems.
      Chira

      Delete
  4. Chira
    Thank you for your warm and heartfelt memories so well written. Zita and Priya were very special friends I still do miss them. JG was a quiet dignified gentleman, always. I recall those friendly chats we had in the Mens Common Room in between lectures and ward classes. Kamini was a sophisticated lady always so kind and gentle.
    It is so wonderful to remember them all on this our Remembrance "Day"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal
    Thank you very much for your comment.
    Let us all get together and recollect the happy and pleasant memories we have had of our departed batchmates.
    In other words we should keep our Blog alive to proceed further.
    Long live our Blog !
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pleased to see the comments. If you enjoyed reading them, you will get a lot of pleasure reading previous remembrance day posts. I have indicated how you can do this easily on this post as one preceding this. Try it! You will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Chira
    Thank you for the memories.Loyalty and gratitude to friends are great quality to have, you and the other batchmates who have participated in the Remembrance day have demonstrated this quality in abundance and from their heart.Credit to the Manager of the BLOG for providing the platform.It is not possible to create or change old memories, hence as far as I am concerned repetition is acceptable.
    I came to know Zita through the Blog, talented musician and poet. Very genuine, brave, warm and kind hearted.I attended Zita's funeral at Southend, much appreciated by the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chira
    Amendment to the first sentence,it should be "great qualities"instead of great quality.It is 01.26 feeling a bit tired and sleepy,good night from UK.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bora
    Thank you very much for your comment. Glad to see your response after awhile. I wonder whether you were able to see my paintings of fruits with their health benefits in the Blog ?
    I agree with you that it is not possible to create or change old memories, hence repetition is acceptable. Anyway that is how we could rekindle old sweet memories.
    I am glad you attended Zita's funeral. I would have definetly attended, if I was living in UK.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chira, Thank you for sharing your memories of our beloved departed batch mates. All these add up to make beautiful portraits of them.As you know Priya and Zita were two dear friends that I kept in close to touch from student days right up to the end.

    Zita as you have quite rightly said was full of courage and faced every challenge in life bravely.
    When she decided to return to Sri Lanka in the late eighties, the prevailing local regulations required her to sit for the MD Part II Sri Lanka. Though you know all about it I just want to make the picture clear to our friends .
    Zita was a fully accredited in her speciality in the UK having obtained her Certificate of Higher Professional Training in Opthalmology from the Royal College of Surgeons, after serving as a Senior Registrar at the prestigious Moorfield Eye Hospital UK.
    Instead of abandoning her plans to serve her motherland, she went back to studying again and got through the MD exam, and rendered invaluable service to her speciality ,both as a caring highly skilled innovative Surgeon and a Teacher and Trainer..

    She always had her goals clear and was an inspiration to all of us.
    Her beautiful poems reveal her sterling qualities ,and, I find them so inspiring.. I actually keep her book of poems on my bed side table near my Bible and dip into it every now and again.
    Suri

    ReplyDelete
  11. Suri
    Thank you very much for your comment. I appreciate your addition of memories of our beloved departed Zita.
    I was aware that Zita had FRCS from UK, but didn't mention as I assumed every one knew about it.
    We should be happy that we have a forum to highlight our memories of our departed batchmates.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete