Thursday, May 26, 2022

REMEMBRANCE DAY 2022. SIVAKUMAR VEDAVANAM

Dr Sivakumar Vedavanam  Passed away on 01.07.2015

Med Fac sig book 1962, Passport 1975 and more recent
“Veda” as we called him, passed away nearly 7 years ago, although it is hard to believe that so much time has elapsed. He was the son of Murugesu, a stationmaster from Mavidapuram and Nesamani, a housewife from Thunavi, Vaddukoddai. As his son describes him, “at heart, he remained a Jaffna man”.

His wife Dhushyanthi whom he married in 1975, has kept in touch with his Batch colleagues and is a regular attender of our mini-reunions in London. She is a wonderful and sensitive person. It has become a special feature in our batch that so many spouses maintain contact with us.

Veda’s children were touched by so many wonderful messages that have appeared in our Blog from the time of his passing away and on Remembrance Days.

Dhushy,  Veda, Krishni & Tharan

They sent this message and I got their permission to post it. Dhushy very kindly sent a collection of family photos showing how Veda the singleton became a devoted husband and then an exceptional father and finally a doting grandfather.

After the message from his son Tharan and daughter Krishni, both doctors, I have added some quotes from colleagues which reveal the Man as he was, a good citizen, a caring Doctor, a loving and devoted husband, a dutiful father by example and a doting grandfather with a personality described by many with words such as cheeky, smiley, impish, boyish, talkative, cheerful, principled and jovial and generous.

Message from his son Sivatharan (Tharan) and daughter Krishnaveni (Krishni )

Our father was incredibly humble and modest and would be so honoured by the fact that you took the trouble to provide a recollection for the blog. It was wonderful to read your reminiscences, of our father and of other peers in your year. Your description of his “modesty, classless friendship and lavish hospitality” certainly chimes with our own memories of Appa. We’ve included a small recollection below, as Amma thought others from your batch might find it of interest. 

Daughter's Family including Krsihni's mother-in-law

Appa was born in Jaffna Town, in the north of Sri Lanka. Although he went on to university in the capital, leaving his home town and eventually the country of his birth, he still retained the homely values of the region of his birth, which he used to inform his own parenting and duties of a spouse and son – the importance of familial ties and the need for hard work, infused with tolerance, patience and adaptability. He cared for his mother, our grandmother, throughout much of the latter part of her life, as she was widowed when he was at university. He did this with no demur, and those who knew them both described the endless care he would take with her, bathing her himself when she became too frail to care for herself without help. He married our mother, Dhushyanthi, in 1975. My mother’s father was a well-known and formidable character. However, despite his eminent status, he was impressed by, and greatly respected, our father’s gentleness and kindness.

Appa sacrificed huge amounts in order to provide his family with whatever we needed, and we never felt in want of anything, emotionally or materially.

Dhushy and Veda with grandkds

He instilled in us the importance of trying one’s best in any situation and was immensely proud of our own academic and career achievements. However, he also ensured that we recognised that all these achievements were nothing without a loving and secure family environment. Prior to his death, he was delighted to have 4 grandchildren: Saranya(14), Tamara (8), (Krishna's), Seetha(9)and Rayan(7) (Tharan’s), whom he doted on.
Although Appa supported us throughout our lives, he was never prescriptive and allowed us to seek our own course in life. His values infuse our lives even now, as his legacy lives on in our children. He is dearly missed and remains alive in our hearts and memories.
Thanks for taking the time to remember those of your batchmates who are no more, and also including their families. We have loved looking at the entries on the blog you set up to celebrate the Colombo med grads of 1962, and are sure it is a source of comfort to the families of those who have left this mortal coil.


A random selection of comments on Veda from colleagues on our Blog

Srianee Dias: His friendly, cheerful personality.

Nihal Amerasekera:  I got to know “Veda” when we worked together in the Central Blood Bank in Colombo. He was a thoughtful and dedicated doctor. He showed tremendous kindness to the Public Health Inspectors, attendants and labourers who were part of our team. His modesty, classless friendship and lavish hospitality stood out.   Veda had a philosophical outlook on life accepting its ups and downs with good grace. He was a helpful and loyal friend and we were close.  Veda had a heart of gold and treated his family and friends with great reverence and affection. He was a truly remarkable person. Adios amigo

DSC Attale: I last met Vedavanam at Bobby Somasunderam’s funeral. He was the same energetic talkative Veda,  I knew before,  sad I lost contact with for the last two years.

Bandula Jayasekera: pleasant, friendly and innocently jovial, with a smiley face-  ALWAYS!

Rohini Anandappa: I remember Vedavanam as a jovial nice guy.

Sanath de Tissera: Veda I remember him as a friendly chap always with a smile and mixed with all.

Kumar Gunawardena: I remember him as a cheerful guy with a cheeky grin most of the time.

Razaque Ahamath: Veda was a guy one cannot forget -- for his cheek, impish and boyish behaviour that was at times irritating and irksome but nobody took any offence as it was all good-natured and said with a smile and with no insult, no malice nor venom.
All I can say now is "inna illahi, wa inna lillahi rojoon" -- in Arabic meaning "To God he belongs, to God he returns"

Nihal Amerasekera: His cheeky grin and casual manner are memories for us all. He accepted life with good grace and was great company and a wonderful friend. I will always remember him as an honest and dignified person. He had a strong sense of right and wrong. Veda had a heart of gold and helped many who came into contact with him. He spoke of his friends for their past loyalties and said nothing about his enemies – typical of a man with a large heart, a fine brain, and a broad and generous spirit.

Appu Sumathipala: I shared several jokes with him during our medical student days. We had amicable chats, quite often, and I often thought of calling him "Thambi"(younger brother in Tamil).

Zita Perera Subasinghe: He does sound like a real 'Human Being'. We need many more of them in this world.

Mahendra Gonsalkorale: It reinforced my feeling that I really missed associating with a really special person after losing contact.

Lucky Abeyagunawardene: Veda was a particularly good friend of mine some years ago. For a short period of three months in 1974, I shared with him his room at Regent House when he was attached to the Central Blood Bank.

I shall end this post with a quote by George Eliot which I used in my recent Remembrance Day post

“Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them”

- Posted by Mahendra Gonsalkorale -

10 comments:

  1. Despite my previous comments this wonderful tribute eggs me on to write a few words about a friend who was a work colleague and so very close to me at an important time in our lives. What stood out during those formative years, as a young medic, was his innocence. He saw no evil, heard no evil and spoke no evil. I cannot think of a time he lost his temper, which is most remarkable, in that pressure cooker atmosphere of the GHC and the Central Blood Bank.
    Before the Blood Transfusion Services were moved to Narahenpita, I visited the Central Blood Bank. Two of the nurses of our time were still working and we reminisced at length of the life and times of those years gone. They asked me about “Veda” but I felt ashamed not being able to say we are still in contact. Being in those familiar surroundings my eyes reflexly looked towards the car park for Veda’s black VW Beetle, which took us to all corners of the country collecting blood.
    It is so lovely to see Sivakumar’s family in the photos. I know he has had a good and happy life. I do admire greatly Dhushy, Krishni and Tharan’s efforts to keep Sivakumar’s memory alive on this our special Remembrance Day. We all remember “Veda” with deep affection. May he find eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Nihal (and Mahendra), Amma directed me to look at the blog yesterday and I wanted to Thankyou both for the immense efforts you’ve made to provide memories and reminiscences for people to read. The vignettes you have shared of your memories of Appa have been incredibly moving to read. As Tharan and I move forward in our chosen careers, this blog has been a wonderful reminder of the power of connection, and the good fortune we as medics have - to be part of a community which is greater than the sum of its parts. Warmest wishes, Krish Vedavanam

      Delete
    2. If we have helped even in a small way, we are tremendously happy. I like to wish all of you a very happy and contented future rich with the things that really matter in life and not just material wealth. I am sure, and I know in my heart that the Vedavanam famiy are well grounded, thanks largely to the loving atmosphere which your parents provided.

      Delete
  2. PRAM COMMENTS
    I am sad I never really got to know Veda .However I am pleased that
    Dhushy, his wife, has become an active member of the blog, contributing and commenting regularly and attending many of our London reunions. Through her writings and face to face meetings I have got to know Veda. My only regret is that I did not get to know him well while we were in the batch
    May his soul rest in peace
    Pram

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pram, I too feel the same way. Veda and I were both in the UK but we never met here. I am sure if the Blog came into existence a few years before it did,our paths would have crossed. Such is life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have very fond memories of Veda .. his boyish good looks, his quiet sense of humor and most of all his sunny smile. Though he was a V and myself K and we were never in any group together as students we shared a warm friendship. I remember the many chats we had .Perhaps the fact that I am guilty of being a chatterbox ( I remember how one of Bunter's 3 brothers who has forgotten my name described me as her friend who talks and talks and talks and aaàaaaaa and talks again ! )

    I feel so sad that I had lost touch with Veda after graduation. I am filled with regret that we did not organize Batch Reunions earlier.

    The first ever reunion in Sri Lanka was organized by JC , Sura and myself in 1988 We coopted Lucky A a little later. It was an uphill task as we had no idea of the locations of our batch mates nor the married surnames of the females. We were delighted that we were able to gather 22 of our batch mates living in Sri Lanka and and had a wonderful time chattering away at The Holiday Inn over dinner. We had also invited Carlo and Pandi as guests.

    The first Batch Reunion including those living abroad was held in 1997 our 30 th Anniversary, at Coral Gardens Hikkaduwa. This needed a lot of organization and we were lucky to have Swyrie with all her contacts and Priya with her enthusiasm joining the committee. I am so sorry that I never met Vega at any of our Reunions held .... but will always remember him with affection

    ReplyDelete
  5. FROM DHUSHY VEDAVANAM
    Dear Mahen,
    I like to thank you and your other batch mates - Nihal, Pram snd Siri for their kind comments about Sivakumar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mahen , Thank you for this post on Veda. So nice to see how the boyishly youthful Veda we knew graduated to being this distinguished personality discharging his responsibilities to family so wonderfully .
    My thanks to Dhushyanthi, Sivatharan and Krishnaveni for their insights which helped us realize what a loveable person he was.
    May Veda enjoy eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vedavanam lived at the bottom of Rajasinghe Road, Wellawatte, whilst Srianee Fernando lived at the top. I lived down 42nd Lane, Raveendra Nadaraja lived down 41st Lane (re-named as E A Cooray Mawatha). Pupa Sivanandan and Joe Wijayanayagam lived at the top of 40th Lane, which was a cul-de-sac. We used to play softball cricket on the road in this cul-de-sac

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mahen, thank you for posting these details about Veda. As many people have expressed, I too have regrets about not staying in touch with him. But, our lives took divergent paths. I was especially touched to read the about the way he took care of his mother, in the message written by Sivatharan and Krishnaveni. Obviously, his qualities and values have been passed on to his progeny. Thank you, Tharan and Krishni, for taking the time to write. It is great that Dushy stays in touch with us on the blog as well as on the WhatsApp group. (Perhaps I may meet her when she visits her cousins in Connecticut!)
    Sanath, I did not know that Veda was my neighbor! Anyway, we moved out of that home shortly after my father passed away, probably in late 1962 or early 1963.

    ReplyDelete