Tuesday, March 15, 2022

The Muscicians of my youth- Nihal D Amarasekera

The Musicians of my youth

Nihal D Amarasekera 

I cannot sing to save my life, hence I’ve become an inveterate fan of the magical music produced by so many talented musicians. The sheer talent and the variety of music available out there is simply staggering. 

I spent my early childhood in a large family house in Nugegoda owned by my grandparents. Several of my uncles, aunts and many cousins we all lived together which was a wonderful start to life. Music then was ever-present on the radio, in church or at school. In the evenings my aunt played the guitar and we were encouraged to sing and we did. I remember singing several old arias including “Santa Lucia” into the stillness of the night. 

During our Teenage years, music had a very special appeal. 1955 saw the emergence of Rock 'N Roll music. The first rock 'n' roll record to achieve national popularity was "Rock Around the Clock by Bill Haley and the Comets. I queued for hours in the heat of the day to see the film at the Savoy. Bill Haley succeeded in creating a music that appealed to youth because of its exciting backbeat, its urgent call to dance, and the action of its lyrics. The booming base and the twang of electric guitars produced a foot-tapping sound. Haley abruptly ended the ascendancy of the bland and sentimental ballads of the crooners popular in the 1940s and early 50s. I was then in the boarding, singing, clicking my fingers and gyrating to the music coming through the Rediffusion set in the common room of the school boarding house. The music of Elvis Presley and Cliff Richard and the Shadows was all-consuming to us teenagers. The Colgate Hit-parade on Tuesdays was as good as watching cricket on a Saturday.

The music fashions changed when we were in the Medical faculty. Music of the Beatles, Rolling Stones and others became popular.  Dancing caught on and the beat music was ideal for swinging and jiving. 

The music scene is so very different now. Compact disks took over from vinyls. The new amplifiers and speakers provided music much closer to a live performance. Now there are more musicians producing good music. The distribution of the music with streaming and YouTube is much better and faster. Hence the turnaround is so much quicker. Many of the songs are here today and gone tomorrow. With the pieces being so evanescent I wonder if the songs of today will have the same lasting impact like the music of our era. 

I still remember most fondly the singers and the songs that appealed to me in my youth and made me see the world in such vivid technicolour. 

Elvis Presley (1935-77)

He was our cultural icon growing up and was the King of Rock and Roll. Elvis energised the songs he sang and his performances had a certain sexual content which appealed to the youth of the day. Much of his music fizzes with life and passion. His films like “Love me tender” became box office hits. Elvis conquered the charts well into the 1970s. Despite his hell-raising image and fast living and equally fast music, the song that I love and remember most of all is the tenderness and emotion with which he sang “Are you lonesome tonight”.

Fame and fortune brought into his life ‘drugs’ which compromised his health. He led a colourful life in the spotlight. Elvis’ untimely death brought great sadness to many of his fans. His house and estate called ‘Graceland’ is a mausoleum, monument and a museum to a legend fondly remembered by many.

When my mood takes me, I still listen to some of his songs. They do remind me of places and people who were in my life all those years ago. 

Pandith W.D Amaradeva (1927-2016)

Often referred to as the maestro, he was a well-known Sinhala vocalist, violinist and composer. He had his early training in India and he has included South Indian and Tamil music into his compositions. His work invoked what could be called traditional folk music including into them many outside influences making the compositions unique and well-liked by many. Amaradeva was a regular and found steady work at the Radio Ceylon. He has composed music for ballet, TV and films and has won many national and international awards. There was a calming Zen air and a mystique about his songs and his music. Wherever he performed WD Amaradeva received a rapturous reception and he enjoyed critical and popular acclaim.

He composed the music for the Maldivian National Anthem.

Out of the many beautiful songs he has sung in his life time my special favourite is “Sasara Wasana Thuru”. It is intriguing that the year it was composed and the name of the composer and lyricist remains unknown. The way it is sung by W.D Amaradeva shows how much he has mastered his craft. The song conveys a deeply philosophical message. The expressive way it is sung, the poignant lyrics and the soulfulness of the melody enhances this message and transports the listener into a different realm. 

The Beatles

In the 1960’s the British rock band from Liverpool took the world by storm. John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr each of them were fine musicians in their own right. They oozed talent and charisma. They revolutionised music of the time. The Beatles attained cult status becoming leaders of the youth of the time. They thrilled us with their swagger, confidence and audacity. The fan frenzy was called Beatlemania. Psychedelic drugs entered the music scene at this time. Their music enhanced interest in Indian spirituality like the Hari Krishna movement. Delirious ragas, incense and sitars joined the cult with tantalising fusions of East and West.

I was a medical student during their early years and became mesmerised by their musical culture, fine vocals, superb lyrics and the rich twang of the electric guitars. The very thought of the Beatles brings back nostalgic memories of those youthful years dancing unashamedly to the Harold Seneviratne Combo playing Beatles music at the Colours Night Dances at King George’s Hall. Accompanied by a glamorous partner and up to the eyeballs in amber nectar, those events brought us closer to heaven. Where have all those years gone?? My favourite since all those years remains “A hard days night” made famous in 1964. 

Cliff Richard

He was born Harry Rodger Webb in Lucknow, India to British parents. They moved to England after Indian Independence in 1948. When his talent was recognised, he was on a fast track to fame, fortune. With a huge fan following, he was a teenage heartthrob when we were growing up. I’m certain at least some of us will know the words of the popular Cliff Richard hits like Living Doll, Young Ones and Summer Holiday. In the late 1950’s and early 60’s he dominated the British pop music scene with the backing of the shadows. He had a prosperous film career with the “Young Ones” and “Summer Holiday”. Cliff Richard's popularity was mostly in Britain and the Commonwealth countries. He was less known in the USA. He continued to sing well into the new millennium with much popularity and affection. He was the voice of my generation growing up in Sri Lanka. Despite a battery of important examinations that was indeed a magical time in my life. Still, when I hear his old songs, which I play occasionally, it takes me back to the happy times of my 6th form years at school when his songs hogged the charts and our lives. 

Nat King Cole (1919-65)

He started his musical life as a classical pianist but soon moved over to jazz. The Nat King Cole Trio where he played the piano and also sang became popular and they began to tour the country. It was in the 1950’s that he launched a successful solo career scoring numerous hits like ‘Mona Lisa’, ‘Smile’, ’Rambling Rose’, ‘Pretend’ and ‘Too young’. Sadly, despite his popularity as a singer his life was tormented by racism, a sign of the times.  A life-long smoker he died age 45 of lung cancer. There is no music that brings me closer to my youth than the music of Nat King Cole. There’s a charmingly relaxed quality to his songs. His husky, velvet voice generated a certain magic that reached deep into my soul. I still listen to a lot of his indelible songs on quiet evenings when I’m in a mood for nostalgia. Listening to the best of his tracks, I can quite easily imagine Nat wandering into our lounge. There was an album I owned where the great man sang with his daughter, Natalie Cole. This brilliant collection of duets included a version of unforgettable that will indeed remain what it says on the cover -- “Unforgettable”.

 

C.T Fernando (1921-77)

Cyril Tudor Fernando was a legendary singer and composer and an icon of our time. He had a vast repertory of superb songs which were his own creations and well known to many of our generation. His recordings also featured lyrics by the famous Lalith S. Maithripala, Karunaratna Abeysekara, Sarath Wimalaweera and Wimaladasa Perera. C.T Fernando music was on the radio many times a day and at important functions including weddings. No music or musicians can bring me closer to Sri Lanka of my youth and those halcyon days than C.T Fernando. I grew up singing his songs, badly, enjoying it nevertheless. I had the good fortune to see him perform live on Sunday evenings in a small hall by the sea in Kollupitiya in 1966/67 while I was at the Jeewaka medical hostel. Even now when I hear his music I’m transported back to Ambaruk Sevana, the H.O’s residence in Kurunegala where his songs were played in the evenings and at weekends at our regular booze-ups. Those memories remind me of my friends at the time, H.N Wickramasinghe, Tudor Wickramatchi, A.P Gunetilleke and Derryck De Silva among many others none of whom are alive today. My favourite C.T Fernando classics are “Suwanda Rosa mal” and “Pin Suduwannay” which I try to sing in the shower just hoping no one will hear. His songs will live on.

15 comments:

  1. To all my learned friends
    I must confess these images are my personal attempts to paint portraits of the musicians. If they look more like caricatures and less than flattering, I do apologise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post evoked a flood of emotions Nihal. It must have not been easy to choose from such a huge range of notable muscians. I am sure that if we have a poll to choose our favourite six, there will be some overlap but I can almosy guarantee that there would not be any duplicates, which is as it ought to be and hardly surprising.
    My own jouney changed so much as I moved from childhood to near senescence! I have a very wide taste in music and one common feature (where the music has lyrics), is that the melody of a song is the most appealing part. I have friends who have the opposing lyrical attraction. I do of course admire and enjoy good lyrics, especaially if they move me emotionally and add to the overall experience.

    I grew up in a home where the dominant music was Sinhala and Hindi type of genre. Western music came later and I was first introduced to classical music when I heard my sister playing the piano, and later when I sang in the choir at St Thomas’ prep Kollupitiya. Bethoven, Bach, Mozart and more gave me a very different kind of emotional experience, almost at a higher level without the need to beat out a rhythm or exclaim loudly.It was more a deep personal enagement which I still enjoy.

    Pop music of the kind Nihal describes was introduced to our lives by my Uncle KMD Jayanetti family (Sigar was my first cousin). They became more and more “westernised” compared to us “gode kollas” (and as it happens from Nuge”goda”!). We all fell in love with Elvis, Cliff, The Shadows etc.

    There are a few Asian singers who will always remain in my memory, apart from the cited CT and deva-like Amaradeva. They are Sunil Shanta, Rukmani Devi, Nanda Malini, Mohideen Beg and Lata Manjeskar,There are many more but these spring to mind.
    The other magical thing about music is the manner in which our conscious awareness works. We are indelibly affected by our culture, childhood and later memories and have that magical capacity to re-live a phase of our life when triggered by a memory, and in this case by music. Whenever I hear some of my old favourites, I am transported that era.

    Lastly, Nihal has yet again showed his great skill in manipulating dots (a shamelss reference to my poem which some of you read anc commented on!). He can turn dots into beautiful images as well as stimulating and enterttaininhg prose. Keep it up Nihal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen
      Thank you for your well crafted and thoughtful comment. Chosing favourites from such a plethora wasn’t easy. I am no good at drawing female portraits. So ,sadly, it’s a male only show. From the males of that era, getting photos with details adequate enough to draw reduces the field further. But I’m happy I’ve made a reasonable selection.
      I would go along with the aphorism “Music is life itself”. My love of music spans my whole life and the variety too has remained wide. With age, I have gravitated towards English Classical music listening to Classic FM every morning and seeing performances live at the many venues in London. In this troubled world Classical music brings peace to my soul.
      Having said that I still listen to music that appealed to me at school, med school and later.

      But I have kept my Friday nights to the Sinhala music of my childhood just to recall the good times with my parents and the extended family and also school friends. They tend to be Sinhala film music of the time of Rukmani Devi, Dharmadasa Walpola, HR Jothipala, Mohideen Beig. Music of Sunil Santha, CTF, Susil Premaratne, Narada Dissasekera etc. feature often. I love the music of Lata Mangheskar and her song with Hemant Kumar – “Yaad kiya dil ne kahan ho tum” will always remain close to my heart being a reminder of my Grandpa who took me to the Metro theatre in Nugegoda for the black and white Bollywood movie, Patita (1953). I haven’t forgotten being bitten by bedbugs in those theatre seats.
      I love the entertaining boozy baila music too which are a great reminder of my days at the Faculty, the H.O’s quarters at Kurunegala and the also the Health Dept Sports Club at Castle street which I’m told doesn’t exist anymore. What features often in my mind are the evening booz-ups at the Mens’ Common Room at the faculty with the likes of JC Fernando singing while strumming his guitar and Patrick Fernando playing “Suranganita malu genawa” on his trumpet. What still remains in my mind despite the 60 years is my first party at the common room when R.L Thambiraja sang “come and see the wild west show”.
      “Music is the soundtrack of my life.”

      Delete
  3. Nihal
    I am amazed at your talent to paint portraits. Excellent job well done!
    They are so good that I could identify the singers. Although I do painting I could never dream of painting portraits.
    Though I cannot sing I enjoy listening to music. I always had the radio on to listen to music when I was very young. Later on the cassettes, the CD s and the You Tube.
    In addition to the ones you have drawn I used to enjoy Pat Boone, Frank Sinatra, Sunil Shantha, Rukmani Devi, Mohideen Beg and Lata Mangeskar.
    Keep it up ! Chira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chira
      Thank you so much for the supportive and encouraging comments. In so many ways you have helped the blog to survive and thrive. These are just some of my favourite singers of my youth. I grew up listening to Sinhala film music on the radio of Rukmani Devi, HR Jothipala, Mohideen Beig and Walpola. They bring back many happy memories.

      Delete
  4. ON BEHALF OF PRAM
    Dear ND
    Thank you for your article.You take me back memory lane!.While I was not in a boarding school every other aspect of your article pulls my heartstrings .I too cannot sing "for toffee"as they say. I cannot even humm. Nevertheless I love the music you mention and the singers .Among the others were Pat Boone, Harry Bella Fonte to mention a few.
    Many thanks ND again for this fabulous piece
    Warm regards
    Pram

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pramilla
    Those complimentary comments made my day.Thank you. It is so hard to pick out a few singers from a whole firmament of stars. It was so lovely to see you in London. I'm sure we will have the good fortune to meet again in the summer with our happy band of batchmates. Best wishes for your journey back

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you ND for the reminder on our crazy teen years. It was loads of fun passing through several phrases of cults and idols. I started these crazes a bit early in life at 9 years while in boarding attending Girls High School Kandy. It was the bubble gum craze. I just could not blow even the smallest bubble with the gum but I was more interested in the picture cards of the movie stars that were enclosed with each packet. Collecting these bargaining and exchange for the best offer with friends was my hobby. This was short lasting and Bill Haley and the Comets took over. I still recall the excitement to see the film ‘Rock around the Clock’ in the theatre at Matara where we were then resident. My brother took screen shots (black and white) with his camera and these photos were prized possessions. Lisa (Gaye) short hair crop was the envy of us girls and attempts to copy it was the order of the day given to the hairdresser.
    Harry Belafonte the ‘King of Calypso’ was a firm favorite of mine. Mahen, I must admit that I loved the lyrics of Calypso songs even more than the melody. To me Calypso is akin to Baila where an interesting, at times funny tales are woven into the melody.
    Like most teens at that time I had my own illustrated song-book with ‘This Island in the Sun’ and ‘Jamaica Farewell’ taking pride of place. It is wonderful to know that Harry Belafonte is still alive at 94 years, healthy and active. Sadly, he had lost his life-long breast friend, the Oscar-winning actor Sydney Poitier early this year. Elvis Presley craze lasted much longer and I remained an ardent fan for long years well into my twenties.
    Manel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Manel, Harry Belafonte is still quite active in his 90s, more as a political activist than a performer. Recently, I saw a couple of documentaries about Harry B. One was titled "The Sit-In" when he hosted the 'Tonight Show' when Johnny Carson was on vacation in 1968. (Interesting times!) The other documentary was his life story. Both were great.

      Delete
  7. Manel
    So lovely to see you on the blog focussing the spotlight on those memorable youthful years. I too was engrossed in the bubble gum craze and recall the vast collection of picture cards of those icons of our time and exchanging them with friends. There was intense haggling of those cards.
    I saw ‘Rock around the clock’ at the Savoy and witnesses the Bambalawatta boys dance in the aisles unashamedly. I do recall the Platters sing “the great pretender” in the film which was an instant hit. I tried the Bill Haley hair curl but it never worked on me.
    Ah! Those calypsos were lovely too I had a large collection of vinyls bought from Tony’s record shop in Bambalapitiya. I saw Harry Bellafonte on BBC TV recently. Perhaps it was recorded some years ago. He hadn’t lost his good looks or his ability to sing so very well. Some of the calypso had interesting mischievous lyrics. I remember owning a vinyl record of Jamaica Johnny and his Calypsonians and the song was called “Where did the naughty little flea go?” The lyrics were rather naughty but hilariously so.
    I still listen to Elvis Presley. Those songs are wonderful reminders of a lovely time in my life.
    Thank you so much for taking us on that journey down memory lane. Those reflections bring us closer, even though briefly, to the many friends and family who were in our lives then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nihal, thank you for taking us down memory lane with these excellent portraits and bios of the musicians who tugged at our heartstrings during our youthful years. I have to confess that I was rather 'westernized' in my tastes having been exposed to the classical composers of music sung and played in the Anglican Church (Handel, Hayden, Beethoven, Bach etc.) Also, I would stay up late with my father very often in our living room after the rest of the family had gone to bed reading and listening to music. I heard some of the older performers (Nat King Cole etc) during those hours before bed. My father's tastes were quite eclectic and we listened to classical music as well as popular music and jazz. He also had a collection of C.T. Fernando's songs. Recently I discovered that my grandson, who is a jazz musician, likes Ahmed Jamal (who is in his 90's by the way) and I told him that his great grandfather listened to AJ as well! Music spanning 4 generations!
    Like Manel, I had a book with the lyrics of the songs copied neatly and illustrated with pictures of the singers cut out from magazines and pasted. (The lyrics weren't always accurate, because we would copy them down while listening to the radio!). Several years ago my daughters discovered one of these books, and decided to take it back to the US, much to my embarrassment!
    When my daughters were growing up I had to listen to their music because they monopolized the music in the car. I learned to love Queen, Eric Clapton, The Police, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, U2 etc. My daughters were good sports about listening to my music too!
    Now I am trying to acquire a taste for the music being generated by the present generations of musicians, so that I can have a connection with my grandson and granddaughter. It isn't easy! It is easier with my grandson, because he likes jazz. When I complained to my granddaughter that all the female pop singers sound alike she agreed rather reluctantly that I had a point!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Srianee
    Many thanks for your comment and memories. As always your comments are a good read. I too had a red monitors exercise book filled with lyrics of popular songs with drawings of stars and magazine clips of photos. As we moved house so many times when I was a kid it just got lost in the mayhem.
    Classical music appreciation was a part of growing up in the boarding at school but they never appealed to me at the time. This came into my life much later and at present I listen to classical music much more than anything else. Our entertainment now is visiting music halls in London to watch live classical concerts. I too value those years in the school choir singing those wonderful Lenten songs, Matthew Passion, Jesu Joy of man’s desiring etc
    I still listen to Ahmed Jamal as our elder son is so very fond of Jazz. Dixieland Jazz is what I like most and there is plenty available now to stream and enjoy. My sons know what I like and play them when I am around.
    The music of my grandkids is quite tough to appreciate. Some of the new music it is hard to say if someone’s crying or just reading a script. The constant banging tells me it is probably music.
    It must be time now for you to say goodbye to Sri Lanka until the next visit. I wish you a pleasant and safe journey home. Do stay with us on the blog when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Nihal, it is time to say goodbye to Sri Lanka and I am getting organized with mixed feelings. It has been a strange sojourn, although I got away from the cold and saw my family up close. I have managed to see only a few of our batch mates, because my visit was complicated by Omicron infections among a few family members, including me, all at different times.
      I also detected a certain reluctance among friends to step out, especially those who have immunocompromised family members. Let's hope that things will be much improved the next time I come. You have probably also heard about the long queues at petrol stations and the power cuts. I was relatively unaffected because of our proximity to the hospital and because my brother happens to own a hybrid vehicle. People are very upset and I am not sure how much longer they will be able to hold out.
      Back to the music. I will share an image of my "songbook" with you when I get back to Connecticut. You will definitely get a chuckle out of it.

      Delete
    2. Srianee
      I know the feeling. Saying goodbye is never easy specially at our time of life. But get back you must as your family awaits your return. Although we have done this so many times it never get easier.
      Look forward to seeing the song book
      With best wishes.
      Nihal

      Delete
  10. The Hit Parade has been mentioned in previous posts and was one of my favourite programmes on radio.

    Music is a form of sensory titillation, is it not? It is very personal and while A may raise all the hair on your body (and whetever is left on the cephalic dome!) in some, it may not appeal or even give rise to unpleasant senstions in some.

    I despair at people who "elevate" themselves in the Human ladder of intelligence and sophistiction by making baseless claims such as Pop fans are crude and less developed than classical enthusiasts. Taste differs I humbly suggest.

    Music is of course much more than an auditory feast. I marvel at the lyrics, the composition, the skill of the musicians, their ability to arouse emotions and lastly but by no means the least, the ability of music to enjoin people and even briefly, join them in a single unified joyful musical soul. Long live music, one of the greatest investions of humankind, only second to the closely related wonder, language.

    ReplyDelete