Sunday, October 25, 2020

My 18 Week Ordeal of Double Trouble

 My 18 Week Ordeal of Double Trouble

By Dr. Lakshman Abeyagunawardene

I thought of writing this article in order to share with readers of the Sunday island newspaper, my recent experience as a patient suffering from two illnesses at the same time. I could describe this period as sheer mental agony as I had to bear the social as well as possible medical consequences of illnesses that plagued me over a prolonged period. Writing newspaper articles in my opinion is one of the best ways in which at least one section of the community can be educated on Health issues.

My professional career called for frequent lectures to be given to a wide variety of target audiences ranging from postgraduate doctors preparing for examinations in Community Medicine and medical students, to humble village folks like new settlers in Mahaweli areas in the late seventies and early eighties. I always made it a point to emphasise the fact that the occurrence of disease is not only a biological phenomenon but a social one as well, a point that I picked up in my postgraduate training and which has somehow got etched in my mind through conviction. Subsequent developments as described later led to the worst period when I was confined to the Guests’ Room in my home as I was not permitted even to climb the stairs that led to my comfortable bedroom upstairs. The move which was to last several weeks, involved shifting many personal items which were indispensable in day to day life.

It all began with a rash on the right side of my face involving the nose, cheek and areas around the eye. Although I suspected Herpes Zoster (commonly called Shingles) particularly because I recalled a bout of Chicken Pox over 50 years ago, soon after my Internship while working at the Colombo South Hospital. Although it is a self-limiting disease, I decided to seek medical attention because as far as possible, I try to stay away from self treatment except for very minor illnesses. Herpes Zoster is a viral infection that occurs with reactivation of the varicella-zoster virus that had been lying dormant in certain nerves for many years. Symptoms typically start with pain and a rash along the affected path of the nerve, followed 2-3 days later by a vesicular eruption.

With an all hours curfew in force, that weekend happened to be one where all “Channel Centres” were deserted. I , therefore, decided to go to the Emergency Room (ER) of Sri Jayewardenepura Hospital (SJPH) where the doctor confirmed my diagnosis and prescribed an antiviral drug called Acyclovir, pain killers Gabapentin and Panadeine. I was also referred to the Ophthalmic (Eye) Ward because my right eye seemed to be affected. Fortunately, the Senior Registrar on duty ruled out any involvement of the eye and said that my vision was normal.  This was confirmed by the Consultant Ophthalmologist (Eye Surgeon) whom I later channelled as I was very concerned about my eyesight. As always, I diligently took all prescribed drugs but at the end of two weeks, I, unfortunately, developed Postherpetic Neuralgia (PHN) which is a known complication of Shingles.

I had heard of Post Herpetic Neuralgia (PHN) but never imagined that it was so painful. In general, all pain due to Neuralgia is very painful, difficult to treat and lasts a long time. I realized through experience, what it is like to be the sufferer rather than a doctor treating a patient.

Quite apart from my present illness, I was having spells of dizziness off and on, which I attributed to Gabapentin which is known to cause such side effects. On one such occasion, it was so bad that I was about to fall. Fortunately, we were in our bedroom and my wife was at hand to prevent the fall and led me to my bed. My wife was quite helpless in such situations and called my son who lived close by and called for an ambulance. My son and the ambulance arrived almost simultaneously, but as I had not lost consciousness, I was able to explain to the paramedics that I was on Gabapentin and did not need hospitalization. Whether or not the paramedics understood what I said, they withdrew mainly because their patient was a doctor and knew what he was doing!

On a subsequent occasion, I had a syncopal (fainting) attack while I was having breakfast and my wife again had to go through the usual motions of calling my son and informing the ambulance. This time, I had lost consciousness and when I was back to normal, I myself thought that it could not have been due to the Gabapentin. Therefore, I didn’t resist hospitalization as I previously did. These two episodes clearly showed the importance of family support. I dread to think what a bachelor living alone would have done under such circumstances.

For a number of years, I have been having an irregular pulse. This drew my attention when it continued and my cardiologist referred me to a Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist who put me on what is called a Holter Monitor. After reading the report he said that I have a few extrasystoles (ectopic beats) and that accounts for the irregular pulse. He further said that it is normal for some people and I needed no treatment. Mind you, that was about six years ago.

This time round when I lost consciousness, to cut a long story short, after the necessary referrals were made, the EEG that my Neurologist ordered showed some changes and my doctors decided that the origins of the changes had nothing to do with my nervous system but that its origins were cardiac (meaning that the origin of the EEG changes could be due to some defective movement of electrical impulses in the heart). So, I went back to my cardiologist who referred me to a Cardiologist and Electrophysiologist. The latter put me on a Holter Monitor again. Based on the history and the new Holter Monitor reading, he recommended a Pacemaker.  I readily complied and he implanted a Permanent Pacemaker on September 8th.  Sutures were removed after about a week and I had to attend a “Programming Session” on September 27th. The doctor reported that the surgical wound was clean and that the whole procedure was successful. The implantation of the pacemaker did not bother me at all, but the anxiety of anyone facing a surgical operation was telling on me.

I had to go through the procedure of pacemaker implantation while the pain in my right eye persisted. It was after my fainting episode and pacemaker implantation was recommended that I was debarred from climbing stairs. I was confined to the Guests’ Room and this is where my agony really started. My wife did not allow me to go even to the living room which was just three steps below. Towards the latter stages, I watched the news on the small TV in the kitchen. I had to be satisfied with the laptop computer that my son brought. But it was a far cry from the Desktop I was used to. I missed my weekly shot of an alcoholic drink! I had not taken even a beer since the beginning of June.

I think I had a turnaround in my fortunes after the doctor did the Programming on September 27th. It was this doctor’s advice that I strictly followed (more so my wife and son) because there was nothing more the Neurologist who was treating my neuralgic pain could do.  The electrophysiologist who did the pacemaker implantation asked me to resume my regular evening walk but advised me not to drive the car till the end of October.  When I asked him whether I could take my weekly shot of an alcoholic drink, he jokingly asked me whether it was Single Malt or Scotch. I replied that I take Single Malt, Scotch, Gin, Rum, Vodka, Tequila and even Ceylon Arrack in rotation, depending on availability.  More than anything else, I was happy to be back in my bedroom, using my toilet, 52 inch TV in the TV room and the Desktop in my study.

Once the Eye Surgeon said that my vision is intact and the Cardiologist had successfully implanted the Pacemaker, I was free to take some decisions on my own. As I was bothered by the persisting pain in the eye, I went back to using Gabapentin when the eye pain was severe (discontinued since that episode of dizziness). Picking up information from the Internet, I started trying some home remedies like washing my eyes and using a warm compress frequently.  I also started taking a course of Vitamin B Complex and refrained from eating Bananas and Citrus fruits to help in the recovery of damaged nerves. If I continue to recover from the eye pain and the other minor symptoms of PHN, I will not be able to pinpoint and say that it was one specific intervention named above that was responsible for the turnaround. Being a doctor myself also certainly helped in many instances.  However, I had resigned myself to think that recovery from PHN is very, very slow. As I recover slowly from PHN, I painfully realized the plight of many who are affected by Neuralgic pain and continue to suffer.

As a precautionary measure, I still keep away from my mobile phone and the microwave oven. The Pacemaker also restricts my movements of the left arm. I will continue to live with such restrictions for some more time. But I know that I have already seen and experienced the worst of this period of agony.

 

ADDENDUM by ACTING ADMIN

This is written mainly for the benefit of those who don't read Sri Lanka newspapers.

Lucky’s article appeared in the Island on-line newspaper on Sunday 25th of October and here is the link:-

https://island.lk/my-18-week-ordeal-of-double-trouble/

19 comments:

  1. Dear Lucky
    It is lovely to read your fine article so very well written both as a doctor and a patient. I'm sure many will benefit from the knowledge you have so elegantly disseminated. On a personal note as a friend for over half a century I'm so pleased you are better now and able to get on with your life. I just hope your doctor gave you permission to have a single malt which we can share on my next visit
    Take care my friend and never take good health for granted at our age, as we all do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky
    Without sounding frivolous for my own education avoiding bananas, citrus fruit, mobile phones and microwaves, is that evidence based or just ‘gut feeling’. I do realise you will do anything to be rid of that awful pain. The mobile phone is a passport to the outside world. Life must be tough without it.
    So pleased to note you are almost back to normal. Meanwhile I look forward to more articles from you. With your remarkable memory for events that is certainly worth the wait.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just a gut feeling at the height of desperation. I was prepared to fall back on any source of information. Not that I believe everything that is available on the Internet.

      This is a common reply to ND, Sumathi and Speedy who have touched on bananas and citrus fruits!

      Delete
  3. Lucky,
    With my little knowledge in the vast ocean of Medical World, I am sure avoiding citrus fruits& bananas are to avoid excess potassium. I recently listen to a talk by an American doctor about the ratio of K/Na to be 4:1 for harmony of the milieu interieur. Have you ever tried amitriptyline for your neuropathic pain. Is a good old medication prescribed for chronic neuropathic pain. I may be wrong, but I must mention here that it has become a habit for Sri-Lankan doctors to try the very powerful medications to get quick results. Thus, they become very popular among poor patients who will spend millions of hard earned rupees to channel them. Unfortunately, amitrip may cause heart blocks and you must have been well advised by the Cardiologist, against using it. I am sure your wife can use the internet to learn all about your ailments. Do what the doctor advised to do and not to do. Mean time do check everything in the internet. I wish you well with the bottom of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky, as always a well crafted article. Very brave of you to share your experience with all of us and I am sure the intention was to help all of us get a better understanding of the conditions you suffered with and to reflect on the fickle nature of existence. Let us treasure every moment we have and count the leaves on the tree rather than the ones on the ground. I was quite impressed by the medical care you received and are continuing to receive. I hope you continue to improve and as for bananas and citrus fruits. I haven't got the foggiest idea how it can help but this I know - a strong belief and faith can work wonders! Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky,enjoyed reading your article which would benefit the members of the medical profession as well as the public. Channa Ratnatunga also did the same few years age, after his stroke. I would encourage others to do so as well(certainly not inviting them to become sick so as to put pen to paper!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sanath
    I agree it is good to share our experiences of illness. I had shared mine calling it my Tryst with Destiny
    https://colombomedgrads1962.blogspot.com/2016/07/my-tryst-with-destiny-for-second-time.html
    It is interesting to be on the 'opposite side' of the consultation
    after a lifetime in the healing profession.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lucky, Thank you for sharing your experience with the public and all of us. You have been through a very difficult experience which probably tested your patience to the extreme. I am very happy and relieved that you are on the mend and able to communicate with us on the blog. I am sure that those who read your article in The Island benefitted from it in multiple ways. For example, recurrent fainting spells should not be ignored and require investigation.
    I hope you continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lucky
    Thank you for your informative & well presented article.
    I am glad that you have had a change of fortune &
    that you are well enough to enjoy a shot (as long as it is not too many!)
    Do continue your excellent work on the blog.

    Ad bebendum et scrivendum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pleae read Channa Ratnatunga's article in today's Island paper, regarding his stroke

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is the link for Channa's articlein the Island, "Strokes – what’s new?Published 9 hours ago on October 31, 2020

    https://island.lk/strokes-whats-new/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lucky, Sanath, do you think Channa wouldn't mind if his article is published in the blog fully with acknowledgement to Island>

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks Sanath. I am sure Lucky will agree that it is a worthy follow up to his own article

      Delete
  13. Definitely! I don't think Upali Newspapers will object. But just to make sure, you can droop a line to Prabath Sahabandu.

    ReplyDelete