Tuesday, October 20, 2020

J C Fernando

 J.C Fernando – A Fine Athlete, Medic and a Gentleman by Nihal D Amerasekera













Janaka Chandana Fernando (J.C)– the name raises a smile on everyone’s face. He is a force of nature that brings happiness to everyone around him. Gregarious, sociable and flamboyant are all descriptions that come to mind to portray a person whom we have all come to know and love since medical school days. He had that irrepressible bohemian flair which was associated with medical students of the 1960’s. In our citadel in Kynsey Road no one epitomised the era more than JC. He enjoyed its trappings abundantly. Being from that great institution, Royal College, he knew the large contingent from that school that filled our batch and almost filled the rest of the Faculty of Medicine. JC became a part of the Faculty sooner than most. 

I first got to know him during the infamous rag. He knew many of the raggers but got no reprieve. He struggled like the rest of us. JC didn’t suffer the indignities gladly. In his usual forthright manner, he did let them know how he felt, muttering under his breath, what he thought of it all.

Many will remember JC arriving at the Faculty cycle shed every morning in his Honda 50 motor-cycle. The Canteen was his first port of call for the customary Tea-Punt. He was a popular guy in our batch and spoke with everyone and was friendly to all. With his affable ways JC made friends with the girls more easily. This made the rest of the boys envious. JC was never shy to speak his mind and with his loud voice he stood out in a crowd. Born to blush unseen, we always made fun of his jet-black skin which he accepted with civility. For his regal demeanour, I often called him the ‘Dark Knight’. All through medical school he wore white shirts and trousers. This enhanced the contrast no end.

JC was an outstanding athlete at Royal College. I recall seeing his name in the sports pages of the daily newspapers for his many achievements at school and inter-school athletics. In 1957, JC broke the school’s inter-house 440 yards record held by Summa Navaratnam, at the Colombo South Group Meet, an impressive feat indeed. However, J.C. could only manage 2nd place at the Public Schools meet. In the 4x440 yards relay, Royal came first with a new Public Schools record. The team consisted of W.S.M. Abeysekera, A. Jayaweera, R. Wickremaratne and J.C. Fernando. They were awarded Public Schools Athletics colours Royal won both Senior Tarbet and Jefferson cups.  At the Public Schools Meet in 1958 JC was placed first in the 440 yards. In that same year Royal College again won the 4x440 yards relay breaking the record set the year before. The team of superb athletes consisted of J.C Fernando, B.A Fernando, Asoka Dissanayake and Asoka Jayaweera. In the 4x100 yards relay - 1958, the Royal College team consisting of J.C Fernando, Asoka Dissanayake, F.H Ghaffar and F.H Ghafoor came second to Ananda College. That year Royal College won the Jefferson Challenge Cup for Relays. The pinnacle of his achievements was in 1958 when JC captained the Royal College Athletics team that won the 4x440 yards relay breaking the Public Schools Record.  For their brilliant performance the richly talented team consisting of Asoka Dissanaike, J C Fernando, Asoka Jayaweera and Asoka Fernando won the Public School Colours, a great honour for a rare feat. To my knowledge, he never bragged about those brilliant achievements. Despite being vocal his simplicity stood out. In later years, at his old school, JC was the medical doctor and physical training instructor for the rugby and cricket teams for two decades. For his loyalty, presently he is a Vice-President of the Royal College Union. He is particularly proud of his magnificent collection of cups, medals and trophies from those golden years.  They now proudly adorn his trophy cabinet.

JC was tenacious, competitive and single-minded. He knew what he wanted and did what was necessary to achieve his goals.  His determination never faltered. Once he had an idea in his head, there was no letting go of it. He is often frank and candid and this attracted controversy. In any argument he was persuasive. JC was never a push-over and fought his corner to the very end. Perhaps these are characteristics of competitive sportsmen. Despite all this, he was charming, helpful and kind and was well-liked.

Gaining entrance to the Faculty of Medicine in the 1960’s was a gargantuan task. The available spaces were limited, there were hordes of applicants and the competition was fierce. To be a top athlete he had the natural ability and talent and the discipline to practice regularly. This required staying in the school grounds at the end of the school day. Returning home late in the evening, tired, one required stamina and self-discipline to get back to books and revision. Hence to gain entrance to the Faculty of Medicine demanded much more than intelligence and the Midas touch. We were fortunate to have several fine sportsmen and women in our batch who had the grit, determination and the strength of character to be successful. They added an extra dimension to our batch.

He had tremendous enthusiasm for the social events in medical school. Being a fine musician, many of us got to know JC at the social functions. We sang and danced at the memorable and raucous evening booze-ups in the Men’s Common Room. My abiding memory at these events is the lithe figure of the ‘Dark Knight’ strumming his guitar, singing in graphic detail the itchy tale of “the dance of the phthirus pubis”. His signature song was “Saima cut wela” a tragic tale of a beginner’s hangover and an effective home remedy. He sang “Suranganee-ta malu genawa”, tempting fate long before they became a pair!! Those songs have never left my recall. As I listen to them now on YouTube I’m transported to those happy days of our youth. He was ever-present at the dances held at the King George’s Hall of the University’s Science Faculty, twisting the night away to the music of the Harold Seneviratne Combo. Those evenings generated much gossip and scandalous tales of adventures. He capped it all with an enduring contribution to the Final year trip making the days brighter and the nights merrier. This will remain a special memory.

In the rigid and grim environment of medical education, the Men’s Common Room was our refuge from the storms of life. I can still picture JC in that setting with a fag between his lips holding a cup of tea. He joined in the billiards, table tennis, carrom and the never-ending chit chats. He was an entertaining talker. If the truth be told he could be prickly and argumentative and there were frosty moments too. All through medical school my memories of JC are of a colourful, jolly guy ever ready for a chat and a laugh. He could talk about anything and everything. I associate him with much of our faculty jargon like ‘tea-punt’ and ’pol-mess machang’ and numerous vivid unprintable expressions delivered with a mischievous smile. These words he used frequently and to great effect. I could still picture him walking the long corridors of the GHC greatly animated, waving his arms relating a story. His tales were peppered with esoteric facts and his own brand of humour brilliantly embellished for good effect. I loved listening to his tales no matter how outrageous. Whether one agreed or disagreed with his views he presented them in such an amusing manner he could even make nonsense sound like a genuine and alluring revelation.

With the “Finals” came the great dispersal in 1967. I lost contact with JC for several years. Both Sura and JC after a stint in the UK forged successful careers in Hong Kong. There his work in Orthopaedic Surgery flourished and he was greatly valued and respected. Those happy times were curtailed eventually by the demanding concerns for the education of their two daughters. I was a regular visitor to Hong Kong which was my wife’s country of birth. It would have been lovely to catch up with JC and Suranganie, only if I knew.  I would have cherished their wonderful company, enjoyed the fine Hong Kong cuisine and shared in his first-hand knowledge of the best watering holes in town. 

I haven’t been a part of the multiple batch reunions in Sri Lanka. Hence our last meeting was around 2003. This was with Lucky Abeygunawardene and we met up at the Singhalese Sports Club.  JC joined us for drinks and dinner. The ambience, good food and the ‘double-distilled’ brought out the best in JC. Many of the old stories resurfaced with the perennial batch tales and gossip to round off a memorable evening. This indeed I will treasure. Rarely boring or predictable, sometimes outrageous, JC is excellent company. His parting shot was to say that I have now acquired a British accent which he reiterated on Facetime a couple of years later. To a rustic from the wilderness of Kegalle, this is a feather to my cap. Although not quite in the digital world, JC sent me emails giving his forthright views and observations about life back home. 

We all recognise our batch as a tribe and the deep friendships akin to a form of tribalism. Both JC and Sura are faithful to the tribe and their old friends. I am aware they have been enthusiastic, generous and hospitable entertainers to the multitude of winter visitors from our batch and also to our medical community in Colombo. They have had a fascinating life together working in several countries, enjoying a good social life. Their two daughters have done them proud. 

JC has had a rewarding professional career. We have enjoyed his company, humanity and joie de vivre. I do wish JC and Suranganie a long and happy retirement. His is a good life well lived and long may it last. By his achievements, he has made his mark in the history of that great school. 

Acknowledgements: My grateful thanks to Prof Sanath Lamabadusuriya for his inspiration and research. He also obtained the information hitherto unavailable in the public domain.  Thanks to Pramilla Senanayake and Mahen Gonsalkorale for their wise counsel. Last but not least thanks to Suranganie for her support and sending those brilliant photos that lit up the script.



33 comments:

  1. Hurrah!
    Another great literary masterpiece by one and only ND.I am sure the vast silent majority who seems to observe and not to comment adhere to the proverb" SILENCE IS GOLDEN"I knew very little about our "Dark Knight" during my Early years in the Faculty until I heard from a Junior student at Royal about the great achievements in the field of athletics. JC sacrificed his athletic talents for the sake of arduous studies in the Faculty. A few of us carried on bringing honours to the Faculty by continuing in a small way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sumathy
    Thank you for your commitment to the blog. It is your encouragement that makes us actively involved and keeping the blog alive. On a dark and dismal autumn day like today, surrounded by Covid, there is no better place than the blog to relive some memories of happier times. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to echo ND's comment about our active blogger Sumathi. For those who missed my interview with him, here is the link

    https://colombomedgrads1962.blogspot.com/2019/02/speedy-dialogues.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  4. JC has been a very close friend of mine ever since we first met in the Colombo Medical Faculty. Of course, being an ardent sports fan, I was a regular spectator at the Public Schools Athletic meet held each year in October and I had heard much about him. There was great rivalry between Royal and Ananda and I had seen and heard about JC's prowess om the track from that time.

    When JC fell in love with Sura, I was happy to change places in the lecture theatre with him. Some of you do not know (and JC never fails to give an exaggerated version of our association whenever we met and had imbibed from the cup that cheers)that I had known Sura from 1949 being neighbours at Manning Town. However, he kept adding to what he had related previously except for the fact that Sura and I were playmates when we were both about 8 years old. This was true, sans JC's additions from time to time. Strangely, I didn't know Sura's brother Sunil at all until we met at the Colombo Medical Faculty. Since then he too has become a very intimate friend of mine.

    I was deeply shocked when Sura telephoned me one day to tell me about JC's recent illness. I rushed to see him, but alas! I could never visit him thereafter because I myself fell ill around that time. I wish him well, but knowing the serious nature of his illness, I am not sure whether we'll be able to have a drink together and enjoy ourselves ever again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky
      You bring back memories of our med schooldays as Sura, Rohini Abhay, Sunil, Ambrose, Anandappas, Attale, Ahamat, Lalantha belonged to that privileged top tier according to alphabet. From Signatures to ward classes and appointments we suffered together. How time has flown!!
      I too was a regular at the Public Schools Meet and vaguely recall JC's 440 yrds win.

      Delete
  5. On the subject of our "Dark knight" JC, he and I have always joked about our beautiful dark complexion, the envy of many pale skinned unfortunates! I used to tell him that in school days, the residents of Havelock town were frightened in the evening by the spectacle of a ghost on a push cycle wearing only white running shorts! He told me in turn that unless the light in the room where we are is turned "on" with a high wattage bulb, he cannot see me! He and Sura are always on my list to see when I visit Sri Lanka and the time I spend with them is so entertaining and wonderful. I recall his days at Royal, the tall and lean athlete who ran so elegantly. He was a few years senior to me and it was quite a shock to be on first names terms with a man I admired when we became batchmates. A wonderful guy with a great sense of humour although he was very much a "black-white" man and wasn't in the "shades of grey" school of thought. I feel privileged to have him as a close friend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mahen
    As you rightly described him, he is unique. There is no one else like him. One of my great regrets is that I never met him in Hong Kong as I was a regular and not in the UK either. I am at a loss for adjectives to use as I've exhausted them on my narrative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have captured the man as we know him perfectly. Your words not only paint a picture but brings forth the right emotions too. Very well done indeed!

      Delete
    2. Thanks pal. There is no other way to write about JC. As Lubber is not a blogger I sent the link to him.

      Delete
    3. Nihal
      That was brilliant. It was very interesting and brought back many memories. I knew him at STC Prep in 1951. He joined Royal College in 1952. My elder brother Rangith and J.C competed in the 1955 Western Group and the Public Schools Athletic meetings in the 110 and 220 yards sprint events. In the Western Group Meeting, JC was the winner and my brother was runner up. At the Pubs, JC came second and my brother was third. Both of them were awarded Public School colours.
      Frequently JC used to give me a lift on his Honda motorbike. The journey commenced with a "Cup Tea Punt" in the canteen. A three roses fag cost 5 cents and a tea 10 cents and I saved 10 cents on the bus fare.
      I agree he was a lively character who kept a party going. Good Baila singer. At a party by candle light, probably at Suren Iyer’s place, it looked as if a girl was dancing by herself until JC started laughing. He moved freely with the batch mates, both sexes.
      I had the privilege of sharing a room with him at the LRH in 1968 during the internship. I remember how both of us used to start the day smoking a fag with our bed tea. We got on very well on the whole. On weekends, when both of us were off, a good friend of mine who had not qualified yet used to pester me and get the room key from me. JC was not amused because his bed was always in a mess when he returned on Monday. JC used to complain to me, “Why is it always my bed and not yours?”. I replied the lady would have preferred your after-shave to mine.

      Delete
    4. Bora
      Thank you for the kind comment and those lovely memories of the athletics. Amazingly although more than half a century ago they must seem like yesterday. I’m sure there will be many stories that will emerge about JC and his youthful exuberance. He was indeed a fun guy.


      Delete
  7. Dear Friends, I have beeb visiting JC frequently since his illness. On one occassion I invited Lubber Wijeyekoon to accompany me. JC is continuing to improve. His daughter Nilanthi who is a non-practising neurologist (NCMC graduate) gave me a call today and told me that she had discovered a box full of old RC magazines, certificates etc, ranging from his school days up to university. When she sends me the material, I will forward it to Nihal, who will edit it and send it to Mahendra for it to be posted on our Blogspot.
    I happen to share a habit which is pipe smoking with him. I visited Sura and JC when they erer living in Hong Kong. Later they were my neighbours in Nugegoda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sanath
    Thank you for all the help regarding the corrections about the athletics. Much of it Clouded by the fog of time!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nihal, all changes made to ensure accuracy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mahendra
    Thank you for your help which is much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ND another great rendition of English literary talent and more so about JC. I too got to know JC in the University and I on a number of occasions would have a joke about me but he would always come back and say"i hope Patas you didn't mind what I said" and I knew that he was truthful. The last time I saw him was at Lucky's and later gave a ride backto the apartmentI was staying in we talked a lot of the good old days and Sura in the back seat chipping, a couple meant for each other. He has spoken to me a few times after his illness but certainly not like those great days ion the 60's. Hopefully with all our prayers JC will overcome his restraints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patas
      Great to hear from you. Trust you both are keeping well despite the awful situation all around. The oncoming presidential election must be on your mind with all the fine analyses and predictions. Stay safe and remain a part of our blog in these hard times.

      Delete
  12. Dear ND,
    Congratulations for your scintillating pen portrait of JC.He was one of the most colourful and ebullient of our ‘62 colleagues and you have done full justice to him warts and all.
    I got to know him well at the reunions and Pram’s parties.
    An abiding memory is him singing “Mee ambassadors wanaye ,meeyek marila” a parody of CT’s song.It was so hilarious that I asked him for the lyrics.JC obliged readily,though I have never dared to sing it publicly.
    History according to Thomas Carlyle is a collection of biographies.For the scribe who will write about our medical school in the sixties ,your posts will be an invaluable resource.
    Please write on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kumar
      Great to see you back on the blog. Thanks for the kind comments. So fortunate to have JC in our batch. It is so hard to capture the life and times of such a vibrant and energetic person like JC.
      We are awaiting the next instalment of those lovely memories of your childhood. They parallel mine too and a fine reminder of the life and times of my own family and an era now long gone. Running wild in paddy fields and fishing in murky ponds are so far removed from the dust and grime of busy London living amongst sharks of this world.

      Delete
  13. Ambassadors should read amba.
    So much for auto correction.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kumar,we all are bound to make spelling mistakes while using digital gajets, more often than not

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you AHTS.I need to be reminded ,to read my posts twice ,before publishing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Where are the withering flowers of LCC?

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Sumathi
    I remember reading in a Pharmo textbook by Lawrence that Dr Withering discovered Digoxin from the plant Foxglove which produces beautiful flowers.In fact I used to have a few of these plants in my garden.
    When Dr Withering was dying a leading Professor remarked "The flower of British Medicine is Withering"


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bora, Dr. Withering observed that a woman in some village was making a brew out of Foxglove blossoms and giving it to patients who were suffering from congestive heart failure, and that they improved! He investigated, and the rest is history as they say!

      Delete
  19. Bora, famous William Withering was at defunct Birmingham General hospital.There was a wing in the building by the name William Withering house in his honour.Now the old General has become Birmingham Childrens hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nihal, you have captured JC's mischievous personality very skillfully (as usual). I had the dubious privilege of sitting next to him during the lectures, and also being his "body-partner" for several semesters. He was an incorrigible tease, and never missed an opportunity to make fun of us girls, although he never meant any harm. None of us really got upset at him. I suspect that growing up with sisters, he knew his limits. I'm happy to say that although Sura, JC and I lost touch temporarily while we were living on different continents, we rekindled our friendship after they moved back to Colombo. I always manage to see them several times during my visits to Colombo. I even got to taste the prawn curry that JC cooked (he really did!) with the prawns that he claimed he caught in the Beira Lake! (Mahen was there!) I'm hoping I'll be able to do that again next year when the pandemic is under control and JC regains his cooking skills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Prawn curry was his enticement for me to join in at a meal, not that I needed any. He was very proud of it and rightly so as it was really delicious. He would serve a helping and ask me to taste and comment, all the time watching me with his eyes popping out of its parent sockets, and quite often with a pipe in his mouth and I purposely took time to answer, looking serious and thoughtfully smacking my lips. When the verdict was given "bloody good machang", his face lit up! He remembers what you like and always served me with a gin and tonic. In one word, he was FUN!

      Delete
    2. Srianee
      Its lovely to see you back on the blog and thank you for those comments. U.S politics is hotting up. We live in interesting times.

      Delete
  21. Hi Srianee
    Thanks for the information.I could not recall how Withering made the discovery,that completes the story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe Zita usually brings up the rear in comments or other blog functions usually, but it is with sincere admiration I read Nihal's masterpiece of an account of an unforgettable, unique character of our Batch'62 i.e. Janaka Chandana Fernando,(the full name is less familiar but I use it as it is so beautiful!) This sort of article touching upon all the important aspects of a person, reminding us of many things we already admired about him and informing the reader of many other hidden gems about all that goes to make a person, is unique to our blog and it marks out this batch as outstanding in medical achievements, sports and even literary prowess. I am eternally grateful to the pioneers of Blog'62 for making immortal, many things about our experience during those crucial years when we met such fabulous characters like J C. He won our hearts then, and we now read with pleasure all the hidden gems about this very valued member of Batch'62! Zita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita
      Lovely to see you on the blog again. Thank you. Please pass on my kind regards to Joe. JC was indeed a one off.

      Delete