Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Pawe Wala - Victor Rathnayake's beautiful song.

Note from the BA: During the curfew, I was down with Herpes Zoster. It was one of those all day curfews and there were no ophthalmologists available anywhere at all till Sunday evening. It was on a Saturday morning that I went to Kotte. The rash was on my face and surrounded the right eye. I had no alternative but to go to SJ Hospital, Kotte and I am glad that I did! I went straight to the EU and fortunately for me, Consultant Ophthalmologist Dr. Wariyapola's Senior Registrar was there. I wanted to get my eye examined. He looked at me, asked me whether I have had Chicken Pox and straight away diagnosed HZ. He ordered Acyclovir along with other drugs and asked me to come to the eye clinic on Monday.

When I went back to SJ Hospital on Monday, the SR examined me more thoroughly, extended the Acyclovir and asked me to come back in a week's time. I am still recovering!
 

Please click here:

https://link.smule.com/hQ1nMHd0a7?channel=Copy-Link&lyricStyle=0

For the benefit of the uninitiated, Victor Rathnayake is one of the best known singers from Sri Lanka. He was the first Sri Lankan musician to hold a live one-man concert. His concert known as "SA" was first performed in 1973, and was an instant success. Rathnayake credits his success to his "fitting blend of Western music with Ragadari classical music." His songs deal with diverse themes that vary from love, to patriotism and Buddhism. In this version, Speedy renders his voice to the popular song. Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Lucky,
    So sorry hear of your bout with HZ.But happy that you have been treated promptly and appropriately.
    A sturdy Public Health Service is so important not only in SriLanka but in all countries.I have consistently found that they are the best for emergencies.
    Best wishes for a speedy recovery from Kanthi and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky
    Sorry to hear of your HZ which at our age can be a curse. Glad you are on the mend. Take care my friend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahen
    I enjoyed Pawe wala the iconic Victor Ratnayake song. It became popular around 1973/74 when I was a Registrar to US Jayawickrama and living at the SHO's Quarters opposite GHC. The song reminds me of Christie De Silva who was also a medical registrar living with us. He loved the music of VR and also sang them beautifully. Music has the wonderful ability take us back to where we heard and enjoyed it and of people too. With all our lives before us the sky was the limit but my career path was uncertain and my pockets were empty. I understand Christie is a physician in Perth Western Australia and wish I knew when I was there.
    Thank you Mahen for bringing back such memories. I enjoyed immensely your lovely musical arrangement and wonderful singing. Something for lockdown to raise a smile on this wet and dismal day.

    ReplyDelete