Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Reflections from my Rocking Chair


By Nihal D Amerasekera

My soul delights in the stillness as I rest in the comfort of the chintz cushions and the gracious curves of my rocking chair. As the autumn wind and rain batter my windows I recline in my chair at peace with myself. There is often an urge to return to the dim and distant past. It gives me a soothing warmth to rummage through the archives of my mind to recover my very first childhood memory. My earliest recollections are of Bogawantalawa. It is a small town in a valley in the Central Province surrounded by mountains of tea estates.We were there from 1942-46 where my father was a Government Servant. It was a troubled time. World War II was raging across Europe and the Far-East. Somehow my little town seemed untouched by its cruelty and horrors. As a kid I was bemused to see an occasional convoy of jeeps and trucks carrying military men waving rifles.

We lived in a quaint upstairs house with a small rear garden.  At the front there were many rose bushes that were always in bloom. Our neighbour was a Tamil family. Their little girl was about my age. She came over to play with me. It seems I was more fluent in Tamil than Sinhala and wish I had kept it up. The house backed on to a hill. St Mary’s School on the hill had a large playground where my little friend and I often played. Next to the school was MrCherian, the headmaster’s house. He was a kindly man with jet black skin. He was often clad in a verti. His wife was a skinny lady with a Colgate smile. She was my mother’s closest companion.

In Bogawantalawa the rain was never faraway. I remember the cloudy skies and the rolling mist that covered the surrounding hills. People always wore mufflers and sweaters and carried umbrellas. The raincoat was a ‘must have’ accessory. There were many European planters riding noisy Motor Bikes. The only shop I remember is Maskeliya Stores on the High Street.It had lots of sweets on display. This was also the biggest shop in town where people did their weekly shopping. It gives me such great pleasure to see the shop has survived the ravages of time and is still open to business as shown in the Google Map of the area.

As I remember the evenings were peaceful beyond belief. Very often my mother and Mrs Cherian went out for walks on the gravel road in front of our house. There were times I joined them.The road meanderedthrough a lonely pine forest.I recall the primeval silence except for our chatter. My mother spoke in Tamil to her friend. We never met anyone on that winding road that went upto KehelgamuOya. This is a fast-flowing river with a temper and a simmering rage. There was a deafening noise of a multitude of rapids, water-falls and swirling currents. Therewasa footbridge across the river, a sentinel, which stood calm and serene despite the mayhem down below. One cannot get any closer to nature than this. Despite the years I can still recall the utter loneliness of the place with not a soul in sight.

When so much time has passed it is hard to find the earliest memory.There are no date stamps for the myriad of images that emerge at random. It is impossible to tease them out.There is a single memory that comes to the forefront of my thoughts.I was then about 4 years old and seated by an upstairs window fascinated by a storm that blew across the valley.The thunder and lightening were frightening. Rain fell in bucket loads. I watched in awe as the road was turned into a river.It is such a simple childhood memory of the splendour and the power of nature.

Servants of the Government were moved every 4 years what was euphemistically called transfers. All our possessions were loaded into a lorry and we bade farewell to our friends. As the sunset on our lives in the valley there was a new dawn in Nugegoda. We never returned to Bogawantalawa again.Since I retired, with time on my hands, there are always flashbacks of times past.  Occasionally those early wistful memories stillwakeup bringing joy to my soul.I enjoy the hustle and bustle and the bright city lightsin London.Time and again there are remindersof the peaceful existence in this rural idyll thatdistils the real meaning of life.

I have lived longer in Britain than in Sri Lanka but the memories of home and family and friends seem such a strong pull even after nearly half a century in exile. I have left a part of me in that beautiful island of my dreams.

13 comments:

  1. Nihal, your powers of recollection never cease to amaze me. Memories appear to be stored in your memory banks in a series of accurate clips which you are sble to retrieve and playback at well. Add your literary ability to transfer your thoughts and memories to the consciousness of the reader and you have a winning combination.

    I have tried to recall my childhood events and I can recollect a few things but not to the extent you are able to. Think my earlirest recollection is also when I was around 4 years of age in Nugegoda but there’s a flash of something before that about the time we were in Galle before that but I am never be sure whether this is a true memory or a an imaginary reconstruction based on early photographs in a family album. The power of human consciousness to playback anything you are able to imagine involving any character you can “construct” in any setting you care to imagine is one of the many amazing things about Human consciousness.

    Thanks for yet another most readable and entertaining post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It just occurred t me that what just stated my be misconstrued as me suggesting that ND’s recollections care not true. For from it!

    My reference to reconstructions refer to an ability we all have, for example, I just “saw” Rafael Nadal riding the whale Moby Dick, rising high above the horizon into the waiting arms of my beloved mother who then shrunk him to a small size and placed him in the display cabinet in our living room at Edward land, kollupitiys, much to the amusement of my father who was dressed as a hunter carrying a rifle !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahen
    Thanks for your comments.
    I know what you mean. No problems on that score. One of my favourite pastimes when my parents were alive was to recall my early childhood. I got much of it pretty accurate. One of the great pitfalls is to remember one’s dreams of our childhood as reality. there is a lot to tease out and refine.
    Glad you like my story

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nihal. Sorry for all the typos - happens when I use my iPad!

      Delete
  4. Nihal, as a medical student and later after graduation I (and later with my family) used to spend my holidays with a school friend, Jayantha Samarasekera who was a planter, in many tea estates. I have been to Pussellawa, Kotagala, Madulsima, Passara, Hali-ela, Dickoya, Bogawantalawa etc. Jayantha captained the Royal College rugby team and later played club rugby for the Clifford Cup. In April 1971 I went to Badulla with him for rugby practice. I met Dushi Nadaraja who told me that a couple of policemen had been transferred from Wellawaya with gun shot injuries . That was the beginning of the JVP insurrection. Later the police announced a curfew and we rushed back to his estate in Hali-ela on that Saturday evening. The curfew was only lifted the following Monday at 8.00 am. I rushed back to Colombo in my Triumph Herald. I had a flat tyre in Balangoda, which I attended to. I had a second flat tyre in Ratnapura. As the curfew was going the re-imposed at 3.00 pm, I continued my journey. At Hanwella there was a security check. I had long hair and a beard at that time and my car was thoroughly searched. I told the sentry that my starter motor was faulty and if I switched off the engine, he would have to push it for me start the car. He insisted on searching the boot as well and I was given no choice. Eventually I got him to push the car for more than 100 yards, before I switched on the engine!I did so because I was really annoyed!I eventually reached home about 15 minutes before the curfew was re-imposed , much to the relief of my parents, because I had not communicated with them for several days, as the phones were cut off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath
      Thank you for those wonderful memories of friends and and events and times passed. You have the great ability to recall events in such graphic detail. I am waiting for your autobiography which I believe is in the making. It will no doubt be a storehouse of memories and a best seller.
      Good luck with it my friend.

      Delete
  5. Nihal, I read your reflections from beginning to end enchanted and captivated - just as I read Hans Christian Anderson in my first childhood ! You’ve described simple events so beautifully. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rohini
    Thank you. I love to remember and recall the past. It is a sort of hobby even since my childhood. My parents were ever willing to help me get the story right. My maternal uncle is 89 years and lives in EA Cooray Mawatha in Wellawatte. He is a storehouse of memories too. As he was a regular at Bogawantalawa during his school holidays he too has filled me in with many of the details. He is married to your classmate/friend from LadiesCC. The family is known to Sanath Lama too as he lived in Wellawatte. It is indeed a small world.
    As Bogawantalawa is my earliest memory it has a special place in my psyche. I recall reading Jack and the Bean stalk as a kid and imagining the stalk existed in our back garden where there was a tall tree. Yet again, when I read that grisly ballad of "Babes in the Wood" I imagined it took place in that lonely pine forest in Bogawantalawa. The British planters called the town "BOGO"
    All this reminds me of that old Deam Martin song "Memories are made of this"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I visit Bogawantalawa on Google Earth. Far cheaper and easier than a flight home!! It has pristine images of the place - mostly arial views. St Mary's School still exists on the hill as do our houses down below. The school is on Facebook now through its IT savvy past students. The lonely road is not lonely anymore with houses and perhaps farms on either side. Kehelgamu-Oya exists but I cannot see its raging beauty. The High Street is a busy place of colourful shops and billboards. The BOGO of my childhood is lost forever and exists only in a secure corner of my memory.

      Delete
  7. I always read ND's essays with great delight. He is one of the first to make friends with me when we were in the block. I shall never forget how he helped me in getting my Honda 50 cc scooter registered in my name. The person who was very helpful through ND's introduction was his cousin Mr. Dassanayake who was a planter at Hunumulla Estate near Balangoda. I had bought the scooter at an auction in Dehiwela, had trouble in tracing the real owner who had also worked with Mr. Dassanayake on the same estate. ND may have forgotten this little incident, but I never will!

    Bogawantalawa is where Con Bala was stationed as DMO before he and Loretta emigrated to UK. Bala had invited us to their 40th anniversary celebrations held at the Trans Asia Hotel in SL and we attended.

    I can well understand ND's nostalgic recalls which he makes from time to time. ND had an affinity for old Sinhala movie songs by Mohideen Baig and Rukmani Devi like "Ranee Enko" which still remains a favourite of mine.

    During our medical student days, I used to visit ND frequently at his Nugegoda home where I have met his grandfather whom I can still picture with clarity. If ND took time to come out or was having a shower, the grand old gent never failed to have a chat with me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucky
    Thank you for those kind comments. I just have a vague recollection of your Honda saga. I did have a cousin in an estate in Balangoda. The trusted Honda served us well to get to Kynsey Road and back. Its 50cc engine had a characteristic soft beat which I remember so well even now. I recall coming to your house in Raymond road. Your mum greeted us warmly with a cup of tea. Remember your brother too. Your dad was a regular writer to the opinions column in the Daily News about politics and complaints. We spent a lot of time together in medical school studying, drinking and going on trips. Your brilliant performances on the carrom board are worthy of mention.
    It is interesting Con Bala was in Bogawantalawa. I last met him in the lobby of the Cinnamon Grand in 2012 would have loved to ask him for his memories .
    I love the old Sinhala movies and songs. They are so easily available on youtube. For me Friday night is music night when I have a drink and listen to my kind of old sinhala songs. They bring to life the people and places. There is a medley of old songs by Chaminda Walpola and his indian wife now on youtube which are beautifully sung bringing back many memories.
    Yes I recall your many visits to my home in Nugegoda. I still miss my grandparents with whom I have spent much of my childhood and also my university years. Their charming ways, love and kindness are a wonderful memory. I Remember getting home to Nugegoda drunk when they just put me to bed and never spoke about it ever again. Life can't get better than that!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As soon as I read Nihal's reminiscence of his past in Bogawantalawa(with its waterfalls, flowing springs and cool mountain tree plantations, I felt soothed and fell into a peaceful aura. Nihal has the gift of words of a poet of the likes of Milton, Kipling and the Brontes! I mean it and it is a unique talent. Give us more of it and reading your offerings makes a pleasant change from the hardships of the day. Thank you, Nihal! I read your 'Reflections' as soon as it appeared but am rather late in commenting as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita
      Great to hear from you and thank you for the kind comments. I have lovely childhood memories which I cherish and it gives me pleasure to them. Take care and enjoy life.

      Delete