Thursday, September 26, 2019

Tales from my Rocking Chair


By Nihal D Amerasekera

My creaky Edwardian rocking chair is my refuge from the trials of the day. When the day is done the wisdom of Rabindranath Tagore does enrich my soul:

Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high
Where knowledge is free
Where the world has not been broken up into fragments
By narrow domestic walls
Where words come out from the depth of truth
Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection
Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way
Into the dreary desert sand of dead habit
Where the mind is led forward by thee
Into ever-widening thought and action
Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.
Rabindranath Tagore

Through sheer circumstance I had a privileged childhood. This was enhanced by being an only child. I was a little emperor to my parents, wellat least some of the time. There was always a maid to look after me during my early childhood. The maids treated me with great affection and were ever willing to please me. My most frequent request was for bedtime stories which they seemed to have a plethora in store. Many were about kings and queens but a few were of demons and darkness which were a huge part of village life faraway from the bright city lights.I distinctly remember the fearsome figure of a demon called “Mahasona”. These fantasy folktales had an impact on my psyche. Like most kids of my generation I developed a fear of the night and ofdarkness.

My paternal uncle was a “PeryaDorai” in a tea estate in Neboda in the Kalutara district. It was called Geekiyanakanda Estate, an appropriately sublime and gorgeous name. This was the early 1950’s and we hadn’t given up our British way of life. He had a buttler and a retinue of servants. The food served was British through and through – 3 course meal starting with a soup and ending with a dessert. My uncle and aunt had no children. They were very fond of me. I well recall the “Tom Brown’s Schooldays” they gave me for my 12th birthday. I was fascinated by  theThomas Hughes’  classic that revealed the jolly romps of students at Rugby School near Birmingham.

I remember well a visit to Neboda with my parents during my school holidays. They had the most beautiful estate bungalow built on to a hillside. The elegant house was surrounded by a lovely terraced garden that was immaculately maintained. There were fountains and a pond with fish and water lilies. The garden was a haven for bees and butterflies. I played table tennis with my uncle before dinner. In those days children were to be seen and not heard. After dinner we all sat in their spacious lounge. They all chatted away about local politics and family gossip. It was around ten O’clock when I began to yawn.  My aunt took me upstairs to the guestbedroom.It was such a huge space for a bedroom. She asked me if I was happy to sleep on my own as everyone else slept downstairs. I saw no problem there.

The room looked like a library with several cabinets full of books some of which wereleather bound and ancient having turned brown with age. The prose ranged from Shakespeare to Dickens and poetry from Chaucer to Wordsworth. A stack of magazines on a chair caught my eye.  I picked up “The Ceylon Causerie”. This was the “Hello” magazine of the day and contained the latest gossip of the great and the good in Ceylon. It also had a collection of wedding photos of the rich and famous with vivid and colourful descriptions of the attendees. Towards the end of the magazine were some fascinating stories, one by R.L Spittel on wild life and the other by SWRD Bandaranaike captioned “Mahahene Riri Yaka”. I read both those wildly diverse narratives with great interest.It waswell past midnight when I switched off the light.

Like most kids I always enjoyed unbroken sleep until dawn. Being rather tired I fell asleep swiftly. It may have been several hours later I felt a cold hand on my neck. I do not quite know if I was awake or still asleep. The fingers on my neck tightened very gradually and haltingly until breathing became intolerably difficult. It was a most frightening experience. I tried hard to open my eyes but I just couldn’t. When I felt I was on deaths door the tightness on my neck was suddenly released.  I could now open my eyes and saw the garden light through the window. All seemed quiet around me. For a 13 year-old this was a distressing episode. I plucked up some courage and switched on the bedside lamp. Being too shy to shout for my parents I bottled up my fear and emotions until the next morning. I wasn’t brave enough to mention this until several months had elapsed.

I am still unclear if this was a mere nightmare after reading SWRD Bandaranaike’s chilling tale or the work of a resident poltergeist who loved to surprise the unwary. Belief in the supernatural and paranormal is old as history itself. Spooky stories of  ghosts, spirits and of apparitions are in existence in every continent and in every country.These figures have been linked to religion and to death and afterlife. There is no real proof that they exist. It is easier to pooh-pooh the claims of its existence than to make a critical study. More work needs to be done to prove or disprove these stories. I have written to this blog of a similar encounter which I called “A Silent Guest”. Despite my experience I am still unclear if they were merely my mind playing tricks on me, an unwanted relic of those childhood stories of old.

12 comments:

  1. Nihal, how come when I finish reading one of ‘your memories of the past,’ I sit still and quietly for some minutes, feeling a deep sense of having gone through a real experience, in fact more real than what I read in the books in my childhood ? And I feel as though I am touched by a hand on my shoulder and it takes me awhile to ‘come down to earth’? Really Nihal, you have a better gift than did the famous authours we talk about. Do keep us enthralled by your pen’s magic on our Blog! Thanks! From Zita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zita
    I am so pleased you liked it. I feel humbled by your comments. What little I know I have learnt from the great classics and owe them a great deal. I still recall those Ghost Stories by Charles Dickens and how well he created the atmosphere and the scene. In the same breath I must mention Gunadasa Ameresekere and Martin Wickramasinghe. I was mesmerised by their descriptive writing which magically transported me into places and situations with the greatest of ease. So I owe so much to so many including my English teachers at school. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I endorse what Zita stated. You are an expert at making us live the experience you describe. Also, inevitably our cortex retrieves relevant memories and comparisons and exchanges are inevitable and this enriches the experience. That is why what each of us get out of reading this is different.

    I silently recalled my oldest Uncle who was married to a "posh" Colombo 7 lady and we had 3 course meals with tools we were not used to. For us at home, it was the hand!Proper behaviour was tiresome and going back home was a relief but the food was tasty!

    I too recalled some books I read such as Biggles, William, Hardy boys, some Wordsworth poems, the AL Bright story reader versions of classics and Tagore- nothing very esoteric.

    I didn't personally experience any Supranormal phenomena but two of my brothers independently saw a lady with a white shawl sitting in the back seat of a car they were travelling in and they only divulged this to each other several years later as they feared ridicule! The fears of darkness and cemeteries is universal. Even Richard Dawkins said that he would be somewhat apprehensive to be in a cemetery by himself in a dark day at midnight!

    I often wondered how chaps like you (or should I say guys like you!) who are "only" kids manage to survive and gain social skills and not be bored. I am one of seven! We had lots of quarrels as well as a lot of fun!

    Thanks again Nihal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen
      Thanks you for the kind comment
      I too remember the AL Bright story readers. They were brilliant. Being an only child was good and bad in parts. I was in the boarding age 9-15 and then at Jeewaka where I had company on tap. Being in a boy school made me rather shy in the company of the opposite sex which took awhile to adjust.

      Delete
  4. Nihal, the master story-teller, you had me spellbound !
    Was scary too ! I shall look up “The Silent Guest” .
    Thank you for bringing the wisdom of Tagore to us. So pertinent for the entire world in the times we live in where ‘truth’ is hard to find.
    Byron had similar words regarding the depth at which truth lies -
    “Truth is a gem that is found at a great depth ;
    whilst on the surface of this world, all things are weighed by the false scale of custom.”
    In ancient Roman mythology too the goddess of truth - Veritas- a young virgin in white, dwells in the bottom of a holy well where she is not easily found.
    Tagore’s prayer “ Where words come out from the depth of truth” is something worth praying for.
    Thank you for this thought provoking and entertaining post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohini
      Thank you. Dreaming in my rocking chair my mind flits from image to image and from one memory to another in rapid sequence. Hence the poem is totally unconnected to the story that was to follow. Do excuse my pot-pourri of thoughts. A bit like the joints afflictions in rheumatic fever - flitting and fleeting!!

      Delete
  5. ND is a prolific writer. Even in retirement, he seems to be working on more than one article at a time! I said this a long time ago, but I say it again. Needless to say, I enjoy reading what he writes.

    A word (or two) about "Mahahene Riri Yaka". I remember reading the novel by SWRD. It was made into a movie in 1971 and also a stage play some time later. I also remember reading "Ceylon Causerie", the social magazine in black and white. It was known for the wedding photographs. My first cousin Dr. Chris Uragoda (he is still going strong at 91) was featured in it with his newly married wife Ms. Rambukpotha (one of the sisters in the Rambukpotha family who married two former Professors of Pharmacology - Senaka Bibile and SR Kottegoda).

    Getting back to ND, as I have suggested before, he should also be writing novels and of course his autobiography.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky
    Thank you. Despite the years passed Glad someone remembered the Ceylon Causerie and the Mahahene Riri Yaka story just to confirm the authenticity of some aspects of my story. There are images stored in my 'hard drive' which show some of my past in such great clarity. I could have described my uncles lounge in greater detail but felt it could just bore you too much. I never had this memory for the many years of professional study. Well that's the way the cookie crumbles!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just as a corollary to my story - SWRD was a fine story teller and a brilliant writer. I recall many many years ago reading his memories of his days at Oxford University. It was superbly written. I wonder if it's now available in print. R.L Spittel continued to write interesting stories on wild life until the very end. I remember reading a book by Hennesy on the wild life in Ceylon. It was indeed a wonderful read about an interesting time. He was a Police Commissioner during our British period. Sadly for him killing animals was a sport.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We haven't had those wonderful old songs from Mahen in a long time to liven up the blog. Where are the other contributors. We need one from Lucky - a real narrative not just a comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My good friend Max Koral who has failed to have any impact so far will be posting a scientific/philosophical post soon. He is undeterred and raring to go again!Subject to Lucky's approval pf course. As Music is being requested, I shall oblige of course.

      Delete
  9. I read all those comments above with great interest and learning about wonderful authors for I do believe you, Nihal, Mahendra, Rohini and Lucky are some of the best read in our batch. And you seem to have read the right authors to get the best knowledge and enjoyment. I am afraid, I belong to the 'Agatha Christie,Enid Blyton, Bronte sisters, and if any one a bit high brow should be mentioned, it would be Dale Carnegie and Charles Dickens. They say, 'Better dead than Unread'! Zita

    ReplyDelete