Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Musings from my Rocking Chair


By Nihal D Amerasekera

As I moved house and downsized I have insisted on taking my rocking chair with me. It has become a silent companion in my retirement. This is the next best thing to a traditional Sri Lankan Hansi-Putuwa that my granddad spent his leisure. Sometimes I slowly rock myself into a slumber. There are times I reflect lazily on the twists and turns of my life.It is a perfect posture to meditate, ruminate and cogitate when the days work is done. I am partial to a glass of vino to help lubricate my thoughts.

Memories of Sri Lanka where I grew up are always with me. What stands out is my deep and lasting gratitude to my country for giving me the education at school and University for free. The all-round education was of the highest order and I couldn’t have had it better anywhere else in the world. It is some comfort and consolation that I worked as a doctor for 7 years in Sri Lanka.

Still there are times I dream I’m in the Mens Common Room in the Medical Faculty at Kynsey Road. Such is the depth of feeling for my alma mater. There I feel close to the friends who made it so special. GHC with its iconic long corridors was our workshop where we learnt our trade. I like to think it was a splendid institution, yet, no organization is perfect. There are many things I disliked in the faculty. Starting at the very beginning it was the rag. The psychopaths had a field day every day of those 2 weeks. It is incomprehensible that the management turned a blind eye to this obnoxious and vulgar behaviour. Old habits die hard as the vestiges of the rag still haunt the freshers.

There was far too much anatomy taught and the detailed study seemed so pointless, as I look back. The signatures and revisals were conducted as if they were a matter of life and death. The Block had a sinister and toxic ambience. Some of our teachers reveled in our stress and discomfiture. Surely there are better ways to teach and learn. Thankfully the ’syllabus’ has been scaled down.The pendulum has now has now moved too far in the opposite direction. Some students think the posterior fornix is in the back of the eye!!

There was an amiable man, whose name I cannot now recall, who taught us pharmacy. He showed us how to make the once ubiquitous mixtures, Carminative, Pot Cit and Sodi Sal. These were dispensed by the gallon up and down the country at government hospitals. We learnt about tinctures that made up these mixtures and how they were poured into narrow bottles with a zig zag slip of paper to indicate the dose. He demonstrated how the ointments are made. This was light entertainment for us after the sweat and toil for a multitude of subjects for the 3rd MB.

Forensic medicine was taught in great detail as it was bound to come in handy for many of us to perform autopsies and attend courts as  DMO’s. There was so much emphasis on M'Naghten rules.A generation of medical students failed if they could not repeat the rule exactly at the viva voce examination. I do not think any one of us used the M'Naghten rules ever in our lifetime and will never ever do. Prof HVJ and Dr WDL Fermando conducted these Vivas. I forgive them for this grave‘miscarriage of justice’ for their wonderful rendition of the popular song “Officers daughter” at an event at the Health Department Sports Club at Castle Street. It was done with such intense passion, forensic detail and greatpoignancy. This received a rapturous ovation.

The doctor series of books written by Richard Gordon glamourized the medical profession.They gave the general public a rare glimpse into the lives of hospital doctors. The arrogant, imperious and revolting behavior of theSenior Surgeon, Sir Lancelot Spratt, stood out as he carried out his surgical duties.His condescending treatment of medical students gave us an impression of the tough life of students and staff in London in the 1950’s. Our clinical teachers who had worked in Britain conducted themselves in a similar manner. They behaved as demi-Gods treating everyone else with contempt. The suggestion of having a second opinion was anathema to them. I hasten to add there were many exceptions. Having said all that with frankness and sincerity it must also be said our clinical teachers were some of the best in the world. This was the golden era of medical education in Sri Lanka. Everyone of them without exception gave of their best to the students and to their patients. I just wished they showed a bit more kindnessand less of their enormous egos to usstudents as we learned our trade.

I take a cue from the title of the 1996 song by that English Rock Band - Oasis – Don’t look back in anger. 

The wind of change has blown across medical education worldwide. I had the privilege to teach radiology registrars from the Royal Free Hospital and also medical students from the Royal Free and Cambridge University.Teaching is now done with mutual respect and is great fun and satisfying to all.There is far more friendly banter now. The medical curriculum too has undergone an enormous transformation,teaching what is relevant.Whenever a doubt exists a second opinion is encouraged by clinicians. There are better text-books than we’ve had. Much of the theory of medicine is now available on Google. Hence the students ask far more searching questions than we ever did.Teachers can’t get away with thosewoolly answers.

The great heights our batch-mates have reached in almost every sphere of medicine shows without doubt how well we have been taught. I do not think any of us have been hampered adversely by the toxic atmosphere and the aggressive teaching methods. It was simply unpleasantat the time when there was no real need for it.

As I reflect and reminisce ours was a most remarkable batch. Friendships are a divine gift. It brings great sadness to lose so many so soon. May they find eternal peace

15 comments:

  1. The amiable man referred to by ND who taught us Pharmacy was Mr. Abeysekara, a Pharmacist by profession.

    I too had the privilege of enjoying JMO Dr. WDL Fernando's rendition of "Officerge duwa" at a function at the Health Department Sports Club. By the way, the pavilion of HDSC has been demolished and the huge building under construction on the site is the new Ministry of Health Head Office. ND will be shocked to see how Castle Street has changed over the years. What a fine time we used to have in that club.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ND&LUCKY,
    The lecture in Pharmacy at the time of our Pharmacology exam was a Tamil in ethnicity.He replaced Mr.Pathurunathan.I can remember very well that he examined me during the practical test(preparing a paste).The lecturer in Pharmacy was responsible in training Aphos&Pharmacists.Please correct me,if I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lucky and Sumathy
    As I now recall it was indeed Mr Abeysekera who taught us Pharmacy.
    The last time I went to the Health Dept Sports Club it was just before my departure in early 1970's. There was a farewell for MPC Jaimon. We reminisced, sang and enjoyed ourselves thoroughly before saying goodbye. Now he is no more and neither is the Sports Club which was a popular watering hole for tired medics who wanted some fun on an evening. We must be getting old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful memories ND. I am reminded of some lines from our Remembrance song written by Rohini Ana:-
    "The stage was set, the players met,
    From far and wide they came.
    The North, the South, the East, the West-
    To learn to heal the best.

    The comradeship was hard to beat
    (Ev’n) in the midst of strife and grief.
    Each played their part to learn the art
    And make our batch unique.
    At closing as we veered our paths
    Good times were all we could foresee

    We turn our thoughts to times we shared,
    To friendships made, the pranks we dared!

    I turn my thoughts to friends, teachers, lectures, signatures, laughter, heart break, those who inspired us, those who had patience with us, listening, taking notes, being awe struck by some, the tiresome few, sleepless nights, fear, anxiety, weary eyed, shock, amazement, love, admiration, hero worshipping, idolising, disgust, delight, pleasure, joy, eleation, anger, respect, gratitude, ...... a multitude of emotions




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahendra, that's a fantastic comment and you are rightfully giving Rohini the credit she deserves for her unique composition. And your thoughts about friends, teachers and the processes during training echo in me similar thoughts and oh yes, those sleepless nights, fear of the tests the next day filled our days and nights but finally, whoooosh! It was all over and we were out! Freedom again, master of our destiny again and this time we had immense knowledge and training to face that future.Zita

      Delete
  5. Thank you very much ND and Lucky for reminding me about the Health Department Sports Club. I remember that night very well. It was during that night or during another night that our Dean Prof. Abhayaratne was carried shoulder high and was "bunched"! I cannot rember who the culprit was, it may have been Berty Nana, who was fond of that peculiar past-time!Soon after graduation I participated in the annual billiards tournamen of the Health Department Sports Club and won the title at my first attempt. My opponent was RS Thiyagarajah, Sushila Kanagasabai's husband. Later I represented the club at tounaments together with Halim Sheriffdeen, Narendra Wijamanne and Another.
    Sanath

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Mahen and Sanath for your contributions on this topic. Despite the years memories still seem so vivid and vibrant. With the demise pf the Health Dept Sports Club will die much of our memories of a place of friendship. Cest la vie!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zita and Mahen, i see you have been “talking about me behind my back” !!
    What a thing to do !
    Fortunately it is not of any misdemeanors ! Thank you for your kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are so fortunate Nihal took his rocking chair with him when he moved.
    Imagine what we would have missed if he didn’t !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohini
      Welcome back after a long break.
      Mathematically, behind my back=front
      Take no notice of my 'dry jokes' as they were called when we were growing up!!
      We need your wisdom, prose and poetry

      Delete
    2. Nihal,
      From the depths of your literary brilliance emerges a streak of /Newtonian/Pythagorean wisdom !
      “Behind my back= front “ = “two negatives make a positive “
      even though Zita has reminded us that two wrongs don’t make a right !

      Delete
  9. Welcome back Rohi Knee! Always refreshing to read your comments..we need a post fro you - suggestion “Thr benefits of music to physic and psyche”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee! Hee!! Rohini! You have achieved that great position where, even whispers behind your back are highly complimentary! Great!

      Delete
    2. Zita, it only reflects on the virtues my dear friends who will speak no evil .
      Iam fortunate to have such noble friends.

      Delete
  10. Mahen, innovative as usual with an interesting embellishment to my name !
    Thank you for inviting me to contribute- though - What can I say about the benefits of music that everyone doesn’t know!
    I have been tempted at times to write an update on the Large Hadron Collider or the String theory which has more or less replaced the ‘particles ‘ with ‘vibrations’ which fascinates me- It is a strange phenomenon though that people don’t seem interested in what they don’t know !

    ReplyDelete