Monday, March 4, 2019

Remembrance Day 2019


Introduction by Lucky

Viewers will recall that there were blog posts in recent years to commemorate our departed colleagues. For example, one that comes to mind is "There is a Road" by Zita (24th of February 2017) The most recent was what ND wrote last year and was published in this blog on May 15. A small committee comprising Speedy, Zita, Rohini, ND and myself was set up to formalise this feature and observe it as an annual event. This "commemorative committee" has been working behind the scenes and taken a few decisions. Among them, 

1. To observe March 3rd each year as Remembrance Day. 

2. In 2019, it will take the form of a poem/song (composed by Rohini Anandaraja) with musical backing provided by Mahendra (Speedy) Gonsalkorale. 

The reason for selecting March 3rd was that our 50th Anniversary Batch Reunion was held at Jetwing Blue Hotel in Negombo on that day.


Speedy adds: When Lucky thought of doing something special on our Blog for Remembrance Day, he turned to Zita, Rohini, Nihal and myself. Readers might recall the lovely poem produced by Zita last year. For this year. we were unanimous in suggesting that Rohini is the best person for the lyrics of the proposed publication. As expected, she came up with a beautiful and moving poem. The next question was whether we publish just the poem or make it a video-poem like the one I did for one of Rohini's poems (Ode to the Moon). Again a unanimous decision was made to make it a video-poem and I was entrusted with the task. This gradually evolved from a video-poem to a vocal YouTube type of production with music composition by me and lyrics by Rohini. At every stage, we all kept in touch via email and many hours and many drafts were done till we finally arrived on the version you will see and hear. The extent of cooperation and the offering and acceptance of critical comment was simply amazing. We hope that you will enjoy it and we like to recall the whole purpose of this exercise, which is to remember with fondness our dear departed colleagues. To get the best experience of watching it, please use your computer or television screen rather than your mobile phone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efVhRpdahr8&t=1s














Their names liveth forevermore

By Nihal (ND) Amerasekera

As a teenager I was an avid reader of the Doctor series of books authored by Richard Gordon. He glamorised the lives of young doctors beyond measure. The story was focussed on the trials of medical students at St Swithin’s hospital, London, taught by the egocentric and irascible chief surgeon Sir Lancelot Spratt. As I look back, although ‘Doctor in the House’ was a part comedy, there were many similarities to our lives at medical school. It is hard to quantify how much of this flashy and enchanting depiction of a doctor’s life influenced me to take up medicine as a career.

My life changed forever as I entered the Faculty and much of 1962 remains a haze. There are a few memories that still remain. In those days I was entranced by pop music. Being a fan of Cliff Richard, I recall seeing the film ‘The Young Ones’ at the Majestic cinema. Life then was a dream. It was hard to handle the adulation and keep my feet on the ground. I developed a sinister arrogance and an assured sense of entitlement and dreamed of living happily ever after. Life always has ways to bring us back to reality!! The rest as they say is history.  I cannot believe a year has passed since I last wrote for Remembrance Day. This is the day we first met as a batch. I recall the happiness I felt despite the indignities on that fateful registration day.

With my Evangelical Christian upbringing, Faculty life needed some getting used to. I am an only child from a boys' only school. I felt self-conscious in the extreme in the new environment.  I remained in my best behaviour in the company of girls, being gallant and courteous!!Many of the girls too were reserved not wanting to be seen as ‘easy game’ in the patriarchal society of 50 years ago. On arrival at the Faculty, I found some of the lads were self-assured and poked fun at the world around them. I soon realised they were not radical extremists but just lived lives expected of bohemian medical students. So I had to adjust and seek the middle ground. I stopped blushing at their unbridled erotic humour. Then I discovered alcohol, learnt to think freely, argue, question and not bother too much about what the world thought of me.

Ours was the golden age of medical education in Sri Lanka. I feel greatly privileged to have been taught by some remarkable teachers. We soon learnt to survive and even thrive in that air of toxicity. In reality it wasn’t all bad. The tough life gave us self-reliance, confidence, grit and determination. I am told, the atmosphere and attitudes have evolved significantly to reflectchanges in society.I remember our teachers with much affection and gratitude and thank them for their commitment to teaching.

Those were our formative years and we were all in it together. The hard toil and the trauma of the five years brought us closer.Our batch of 150 students showed tremendous unity and loyalty to the batch. Most of what I remember now are the good times. I still recall with nostalgia the booze, baila and the bawdy songs at those MSU parties in the Common Room.

Then after the finals we dispersed to meet on rare occasions at reunions and gatherings. The years rolled on when our professional lives slowly came to a conclusion. On our onward journey several of our friends departed this life. What I still remember are their young smiling faces as they walked the corridors of the GHC and the lecture theatres. I cannot believe they are with us no more to joke and reminisce of the times gone.Their photos bring them back to life again. We will take this opportunity to celebrate their lives thanking them for their contribution to life, society and country, where ever they lived and worked.

I’m certain we have all lost close friends from the batch. I lost my best friend in Bernard Randeniya.This has left an echoing void. There is not a week that passes without thinking of him. As a young medical student he was funny, gregarious and an incorrigible flirt. He enjoyed good food, generous helpings of the amber nectar and loved a jolly good sing-song. His love of life, amiable kindness and generosity always stood out. The time we spent together were a rich gift.

Do make every attempt to keep in touch and there is no better place than our own hangout in cyberspace – we call the Blog.I wish more join-in to make a comment if not willing to make a more substantial contribution in the way of a poem, painting or prose.

Farewells, Reunions and Get-togethers are invaluable. I am not a regular visitor to Sri Lanka and have never been to its well organised and popular reunions. The Grand London Reunion was my last big gathering of the batch and that was way back in the 20th century. Pramilla’s precise organising skills and dogged persistence in tracking down people has made the LondonReunion a must attend for many in the UK. It is well attended by mates from up and down the country.I am aware through the courtesy of the blog the many gatherings of the batch in Colombo organised by Lucky and Pramilla. These no doubt bind us together.

As we remember our friends, our thoughts are with their families they have left behind. Despite life’s vain tumults, none of us is here forever. Our time will come. Now we are in the grip of events much of it beyond our control. Meanwhile, we must enjoy life, family and friends. Despite the years I still feel a flicker of nerves when I smell formalin.Then a video plays in my mind of friends and life of long ago. Ah!! Where have those years gone?

Comments:
  1. As usual, I am making the first comment. Speedy and Rohini deserve a special word of thanks from me. I have listened to this video over and over again. Each time I do so, I begin to wonder how much hidden talent there had been in our batch. It is a truly remarkable piece of work. I know how much effort they put into it. All for our departed colleagues.
    ReplyDelete
    Replies




    1. Lucky , All the committee have done their bit in this production-You have all been there to encourage, support, and even fling the occasional ‘dig’ at each other, always in good spirit and humour, to end up with this musical,visual and vocal masterpiece by Mahen in remembrance of our friends who have gone before us, as well as their families.
      Thank you all.
      Delete
  2. It is indeed sad to see the faces of 38 batch-mates who are not among us.
    there are some who lost their lives in a comparatively,young age.We do see hidden talents,of our remaining mates,from time to time.I wish,they will continue to do so in the future.
    C'est la vie(that is life)
    ReplyDelete
  3. Vow! Rohini I never knew that you were a song writer too! I was in tears listening to you song backed by Speedy's lovely music. Never realised so many of our mates have left us. Thanks very much for remembering them with these moving song. What next?
    ReplyDelete
    Replies




    1. Shanthy, how lovely to see you- I didn’t know I could write a song either !!
      Please do stay with us here on the blog.
      Delete
    2. Lovely to see you Shanthy. Rohini did some splendid work. It was first a poem and I made it into song with a melody with some alterations to the lyrics. Rohini and I exchanged ideas on this and finally arrived at what you see and hear. Please keep in touch.
      Delete
  4. Rohini’s wonderful lyrics and Mahen’s beautiful melody have given birth to a lovely composition we could play annually on Remembrance Day. They are talented musicians who will have a special place in our batch hall of fame.
    ReplyDelete
    Replies




    1. Nice to see you around Nihal - hope you are here to stay- cheers
      Delete
    2. As always, Nihal has taken us back through memory lane with great finess. Thank you Nihal.
      Delete
  5. As of this moment, there have been over 1,120,000 "hits". With such a large audience scattered all over, ND's idea of playing this video annually on Remembrance Day is worth following up.
    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to echo comments made by Lucky, Rohini, Zita and Nihal that this was very much a Team effort and to me one of the most satisfying moments was when I showed it to some friends here and many of them felt quite emotional and all of them were genuinely touched not just by the video, but by the fact that our batch chose to honour our colleagues in this manner.
    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish to add that a minor error had crept in to the video where the last row in the first selection of photos of colleagues in the video did not appear (Tudor to Tilak). This has now been corrected and the link to the corrected video is this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efVhRpdahr8
    ReplyDelete
  8. I must add that the lyricist Rohini is based in New Zealand and the singer cum organist is in Manchester, UK. Zita and ND are also in UK. I am in Sri Lanka. Everything was done electronically and at no cost.
    ReplyDelete




1 comment:

  1. Please bear with me. I am trying to update the blog without losing the comments.
    ReplyDelete

25 comments:

  1. Dear friends - Mahen, Rohini, ND, Zita and Lucky, thank you for this touching video and accompanying article. Thank you for your team effort in bringing this to fruition. I applaud your talent, hard work and dedication. Honestly, I was a bit reluctant to click on it and watch it, because I knew I would get that discomfort in my heart and lump in my throat. But it is beautiful, and a fitting tribute to all our friends who have left us. Naturally, I was closer to some than others, but it was a privilege to have known them all. Some of them like Sunna and Kitha left us even before they had a single grey hair! I want to echo what ND said in his elegant article, that we must take every opportunity to cherish our friendships and stay connected, just as we are doing now on this Blog.
    Shanthy Nalliah, welcome! Please keep making comments, you obviously know how to do it! Everybody, when you listen to this musical tribute, I recommend using headphones/earbuds or something. Borrow them from your offspring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Srianee
      Good to see you on the blog and thank you for the kind comments.

      Delete
    2. Srianee, thanks for your appreciation. This is what Team effort is all about, working together for a common cause without boundaries and false conceptions of importance. We all have a common bond, a bond which was so crucial in our formative years and has stood us in good stead ever since. I am proud of our Batch and would love to connect as much as possible and share thoughts, experiences and talents.

      Just a gentle reminder that the Blog is in the Public domain and clearly increasing in popularity judging by the number of "hits" and unwanted comments of opportunists who are using this medium for advertising. We must therefore be watchful and careful when we post comments (this is addressed to ALL) and avoid anything too personal and never give information such as email addresses or other sensitive personal data.

      Delete
  2. Rohini
    Glad you liked the article. There is a mini heatwave in KL and I love it. Enjoying the glorious food and the company of friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High temperatures are common in most of the tropical countries these days. It is supposed to be the hottest day in Colombo today! We plan to be in KL next August. As most of you know, my son is married to a Sri Lankan Malaysian, but they live in Sri Lanka. KL is one of my favourite destinations.

      Delete
  3. Shanthi
    So lovely to see you on the blog. Be a regular and keep writing. Look forward to seeing you at the London reunion this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As so many have commented, yet again we recognise the literary talents of Nihal (ND). The blog won't be the same without his contributions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Discerning viewers, which all of you are, would have noticed a comment I made earlier about the "missing line of faces" from T to T (Tudor to Thilak) in my original video first group of faces. This has now been corrected and thank you Lucky for re-posting with the corrected version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lucky, sorry I don’t have the expertise to help you with the technical difficulties you are having. Iam sure Mahen would be with you.
    Thank you for all the effort you make to keep us connected.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is Zita. As usual, I have put my comment in appreciation of this fantastic post of Remembrance of our departed batch mates, in the next post which is also in its own right an appreciation of this post above. So may I apologise for not putting my comment in the right spot. Oh dear, I had better look out! If I am going to be this way, I will departed very soon too! So friends and batch mates, including our stars of production, Lucky, Mahendra, Rohini Ana, and helpers and encouragers, Nihal A and others, thanks and well done on a fantastic post, truly fitting the greatness of our departed batch mates who we admired, cared for and spent our first five years of medical training with. We were fortunate to be among them . Each one in our batch I find has a lot to offer, they did then and they do now. Let's spend whatever time we can, in keeping in touch via this wonderful medium of the Blog 1962. Thanks again and well done to all concerned! Zita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita, late or not, your comments are always worth reading. Thank you for keeping in touch and for your encouragement.

      Delete
  8. Hi sorry my response is late .... but better late than never!

    First let me place on record my heartfelt thanks to Lucky for having initiated Remembrance Day and for the beautiful contributions poetic and musical by Rohini and Speedy.
    I am not shy to confess that my eyes filled with tears and that I got a lump in my throat as I gazed at our beloved departed friends. So many fond memories kept flooding back. I was fortunate in having been able to bond with most of them. We were blessed indeed to have had the privilege of being able to walk beside them even for a short time in our Life's Journey.
    Thank you Kumar for your quote from Khalil Gibran who is one of my favourite poets. Suri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you on the blog after a long break Suri. It is not a shame to be open about our emotions and it was refreshing to see you and Zita describe how you felt.I must confess myself that I am not averse to shedding a few tears at the cinema while watching emotional movies.

      Delete
  9. Lucky,KL is hotter than Sri-Lanka.Your son will know much better than,me.Wife and I toured KL,a few years ago;the most interesting place we visited was Penang,where we bought some medicinal products,including nutmeg oil.KL exploration too,was interesting.
    Hope!you will have a good time,enjoying eating ripe Durian,Rambutan and other exotic fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lucky et al,
    Thank you so much for your efforts to keep the memory of your colleagues alive. Like others, I was somewhat apprehensive about watching as I knew it would be emotive. However, I am glad I did so, as it was very special to watch. Many thanks for organising such a thoughtful tribute. BW Krish Vedavanam (Srisivakumar Vedavanam's daughter)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Krish
    It’s lovely to see you on the blog. Sivakumar and I worked in the Blood Transfusion Service for 4 years after med school. We did many trips in his VW beetle and spent many evenings together putting the world to right over a glass or two. I have fond memories of our time together. He was helpful and kind to everyone. May he find eternal peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dr Krish VedavanamMarch 10, 2019 at 4:34 PM

      Thank you for your kind words regarding my father. Yes, he was truly kind and helpful to all. I was very lucky to have had him as a father and must reflect on this rather than dwell on loss. It's lovely that you are all so active on this blog and maintain your links with each other. Well done to you all!

      Delete
  12. Dr Krish VedavanamMarch 10, 2019 at 4:37 PM

    Posting on behalf of Dhushyanthi Vedavanam:
    I would like to thank the committee for their time and effort producing the Remembrance Day Video which in my view is a masterpiece.

    Lucky, thank you for starting this blog which so so many of your batch mates and others too.

    I was overcome with emotion when I first watched this video..... it is three years plus since Sivakumar departed this world so suddenly. There are many others in my position.

    I have been watching this Remembrance Day video many times over. What a great effort by Rohini Ana: her skilful lyrics combined with Mahendra’s soft and melodious music were so soothing to the mind and soul. I have no doubt that all your departed colleagues who are now in a better place will be watching this video in silence and enjoying the beautiful lyrics and music. They would appreciate that their batch mates have been so kind to remember them with such affection.
    “Silence is not empty, it’s full of answers”-Lord Buddha.

    ND your humanitarian article so stylishly and brilliantly written sums up the kindness of all of you in jointly producing such a masterpiece for all of us to watch and enjoy. I would like to thank Zita too for her immense contribution in this effort. To give happiness to others , is a great act of charity.

    It would be befitting to watch this video at Sivakumar’s almgiving which falls on the 16th June. He was always a happy and contented person imbued with kindness and generosity towards everyone. A legacy he has left behind..... I know for a fact he would be listening to this video in silence, intent on absorbing every word.

    I would quote Rudyard Kipling “ This is a brief life, but in its brevity it offers us some splendid moments, some meaningful adventures......”

    I would also echo Mahendra’s quotation by Orson Welles when he interviewed Pram...”we’re born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we’re not alone.’ Thank you to Mahendra and Pram for this wonderful interview.

    What great souls all of you are to support each other with your creative skills. My grateful and sincere thanks to you all for sharing this video and being in touch.

    Dhushyanthi Vedavanam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to use this opportunity to say Hello to Dushyanthi, Krish and Veda's son Dr. Sivatharan. Like Mahendra, I had never met Veda since I returned to SL from the US in 1975 (my first stint in the US). Veda and I had lost contact with each other completely. So, my memories of him date back to 1973. So very sad.

      Delete
  13. Dear Krish and Dhushyanthi, Thank you so much for taking the trouble to post comments in our Blog. It is so sad that Veda (as we called him fondly) and I never met in England. I always recall him as a warm and friendly person with that lovable cheeky nature. It is lovely to see how valued he was by his family and you desire to emulate hims as a father Krish, just shows how good he was.I am pleased that our Blog helps not just us Batch mates, but also their families to keep in touch. Wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dhushyanthi and Krish, thank you for keeping in touch with us on the Blog and thank you for writing about 'Veda.' Like you, I am so grateful that Lucky and his gang of Blog enthusiasts keep this wonderful medium of communication going. I remember Veda very well in Medical College. As Mahen says in his comment, his mischievous and friendly nature endeared him to most of our classmates. Even though he was a "V" and I was an "F" (We sat in alphabetical order!) I got to know him over the five years. But, as with many of our classmates, we went our separate ways and ended up in different countries and lost touch. I don't think I saw him again after we graduated. Please stay in touch. I wish your family the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Mahen and Srianee, thank you for your kind words about Sivakumar. Yes he was a very caring person towards everyone. I am puzzled as to why he lost touch with his batch mates. He was in touch with Soma, Susheila and few others from his batch and from the Blood Bank. He used talk fondly about ND.
    I shall endeavour to stay in touch. My son and I met Lucky in Srilanka.
    With Warm Regards
    Dhushyanthi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhushyanthi, That I suppose, is the way that the river of life flows. I would love to have kept in touch with Veda but it just didn't happen, like so many variables in our lives.

      The initial grouping at Med Fac is determined by your surname (as we are grouped that way), which school you came from (not elitist but the sheer practical reality that you knew them), and common interests such as sports or hobbies for example. These groups grow as time passes and also shrink. Some build relationships with the opposite sex. One fine day we qualify and may or may not work in the same place or nearby. We may then move to another country and these factors again determine how much we keep in touch. Within these groups, closer relationships are made which last a long time and across limitations such as oceans and time! Some reunions are entirely random (Nihal may disagree!) and opportunistic. During all this time, the sands are shifting- families, marriages, changes in work, changes in responsibilities, grandchildren and so many factors. Views which held people together may become the very reason for being pulled apart and so the story goes. For me, it is important to recall that our Medical Faculty days were at a crucial time in our development and the brotherhood/sisterhood is something to be treasured. It doesn't matter how much time passes between contacts, we must always be able to pick up and enjoy the experience and it helps a lot if we are not judgmental or rank ourselves in some sort of manner to form League Tables of importance and value. We are one big family and it is so nice to know that people like you, spouses of colleagues, are happy to feel part of our "family".

      Delete
  16. Dushyanthi
    Good to see you on the blog. You and your family are part of the extended family of our batch. Do please attend our London reunion. I would have loved to meet up with Sivakumar when he lived in Bedford as I spent the weekends in Deparys Ave opposite Bedford school. Sometimes life’s like that and I call it destiny. I have very fond memories of our time together.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete