Friday, July 5, 2024

Gwendoline Herath (nee Perera) passes away peacefully

Gwendoline Herath (nee Perera) passes away peacefully.


I received news from Suri that another batchmate passed away in late June this year. She was Miss Gwendoline Perera before she married Lakshman Herath. She was a Peradeniya transfer and a very quiet person. She is the 57th loss in our Batch.

Please join me in passing our condolences to her family. May she Rest in Peace.

This is the Obituary Notice that appeared in the Daily News, Sri Lanka.  The photo is from the Sig book.

HERATH – DR (MRS) GWENDOLINE HENRIETTA (NELUM) (Retired Medical Officer,​ Sri Lanka Insurance Corporation),​ beloved wife of Mr Lakshman Herath (Retired Aviation Engineer),​ loving mother of Lilanthi,​ Rukmal and Ramila,​ sister of Victorine Joseph and late Prasanna Perera,​ passed away peacefully,​ surrounded by family. Remains lie at A.F. Raymonds,​ Borella from 28th June. Service to celebrate her life will be held at the Parlour at 3 p.m. on 30th June,​ followed by Burial at General Cemetery,​ Borella – Catholic Section at 4 p.m.    042744

9 comments:

  1. I remember her as a very quiet person. May she Rest In Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember her face but cannot recall anything else about her. Nevertheless it brings me great sadness to hear of the loss of yet another batchmate. I hope she has had a rewarding professional career, and a happy family life.
    May her Soul Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't find any references in Medical Journals on her apart from a BMJ Medical News note in 1976 with names of those who were elected as members of Royal College of Physicians UK and the list included N.D. Amarasekera! (Other names I spotted were P.S.Jayaratne and R.G. Karyawasam

      Delete
  3. I am sad to hear about the loss of yet another of our batch mates. I do remember Gwendoline as a very quiet soul, but I didn't know her well. May she Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Chira
    I feel sad that the 57th batchmate has left us. I remember her as a quiet person but didn't know her well.
    Let me condole her family who must be missing her very badly.
    May she rest in peace.
    I think we all should keep our Blog alive so that we could receive such news and interact with other batchmates.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday I attended a Thanksgiving service for Lakshman Weerasooriya (26.03 1940--15.01.2022) at Kanatte. His ashes were interred in the family burial plot which also had the tombstones of his father and brother Richard. His younger brother Major General Srilal Weerasooriya, who was the Commander of the Army from 1998 to 2000, at the height of our civil war, invited me to deliver a short speech. Senarath Jayatilleke, Swyrie Balendra, Bandula Jayasekera and few others from other batches were also present. His sons, Romesh, Viraine and Shanaka were also there with their spouses. Wife Ruwini was not there as she is not quite well. Later we were invited to a reception at the Royal Colombo Golf Club.
    I still have vivid memories of a visit to his house in Placida, Florida, when I was on a family holiday to the US in 1989. Lucky was a popular GP in his town, but he informed me that he was better known as the father of the three sons who excelled in sports. Two of them are Dental Surgeons and the other son is a Paediatric Gastroenterolgist. There was a creek adjacent to his garden and we went angling in his motor boat. Later I caught some crabs from the bank and we had a delicious meal together with string hoppers, prepared by Ruwini.
    Ruwini's brother Annesley de Silva, opened bowling for STC and bagged 4 wickets for 20 runs in our big match in 1959.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sanath, I'm glad you and some of our other friends attended Lucky's service. Some time ago Srilal sent me an email about it, but I was already in Connecticut. I would have loved to have met his sons once again, because I knew them as small kids in NYC and later when we visited them in Florida.

      Delete
  6. Hi Srianee, I thought you were going to relocate yourself to Colombo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my plan, but it will take some time to finalize everything; at least two more years, I think.

      Delete