Friday, May 26, 2023

Medical Batch 62 Remembrance Day 2023 (8)

A Meeting of friends in the After-World

A fictional historical short story 

By ‘Speedy’ Mahendra Gonsalkorale

Context: Our 49 departed colleagues cannot meet again  This story is about a fictional reunion attempting to bring out some of the features of the group we are familiar with  I was inspired by the Booker Prize winner Sheehan Karunatileka who had a fictional after-life theme in his book, the seven moons of Maali Almeida. I hope it is accepted in the spirit I wrote it.

I woke up and was surprised that I had no weakness in my limbs. I looked for Sura, but she was not there. The whole place looked strange and misty. I got up and to my surprise, and was able to walk through the door to a large hall and guess who was there?  The first person I met was Cecil Saverimuttu! I was a bit anxious about my speech but was delighted when I was able to exchange the customary “hello machang” without any problem at all. Cecil was delighted "Hi JC! Nice to see you!"

Before long, we were joined by Mangalam and Victor Hector. Mangalam looked her usual vivacious self but Victor was fidgeting and looked a bit nervous. He usually sticks to being with his wife on social occasions. I was surprised that both were not wearing specs. I asked about that and both said that in this place, you can see everything clearly without specs. Mangalam was looking around as if she was expecting somebody and suddenly uttered a happy shriek and ran forward to embrace none other than Zita! Zita was discussing poetry and music while having a glass of “something” with Lucky Weerasooriya who was the first person to greet her when she entered ethe After-World. Lucky was full of praise for Kamini who had arrived before him with HN and was so nice to him as he felt a bit lost at first. Time appeared to be frozen and nothing seemed to change.

We stopped chattering as drinks were being served and it was was Razaque, and Desmond doing the honours! Razaque was cracking jokes as usual and Desmond was laughing! A kind of loudspeaker (well it looked like one but was floating around like a drone) then made an announcement that we were about to see a mini-drama performed by Kuruppu and Batu with choreography by Sue Ratnavale. Sue looked so happy chattering away and moving from table to table before she went to change her dress for the drama. The Tables were very different to what I had seen on Earth. They had no legs and seemed to float in the air. Batu was very quiet and seemed quite happy for Ranjit to do all the talking.

The Act was most impressive and enjoyable, and two people I instantly recognised came to the stage to propose a Vote of Thanks. I had to blink several times that I wasn’t dreaming as it was Sardha in an elegant white saree with a blue border and Sarvananda. Even now I am not sure why they were chosen for this task, but Sardha told me later that she was here a few Earth years before Sarvananda came and he seems to have the gift of speaking well to an audience.

I walked into the next room as I heard a Band playing familiar music. Again, there was something odd about it as the drums appeared to float in front of the drummer, and the guitars appeared to be almost stuck to the guitarist without any strap.  There were a lot of animated dancers, and the first person I bumped into was Suren Iyer, in a neat white outfit. He was grinning from ear to ear as usual and invited me to join his group, which included Collure, again sporting a big smile, and Manohari. It was lovely to see them again, and Suren called me to a side and asked whether I could persuade JG who was in a corner by himself, to join the group. But before I could do that, I was beaten to it by a boyish-looking chap with the biggest grin you ever saw. Who was he? It was Veda! Veda was with a stocky chap I couldn’t recognise at first, but when I approached him, he put his arms around me with a “Hello JC, lovely to see you!” It was Jaimon. Jaimon looked very content and asked us whether we recognised the Band people. I confessed I hadn’t because the overhead lights floating near the ceiling were dim. The mood changed, and the Band started playing Baila and the lights started emitting bright colours. I couldn’t help joining them. Then I recognised those in the Band- they were Rajasooriyar, Punsiri, and Arul Sivaguru. I must confess I was really surprised as I didn’t realise they had musical skills. Suren told me that I am still thinking in Earthly terms. Here in the After-World, if your desire to play a musical instrument is very strong and sustained, you will be able to do it.

Our conversation was interrupted in a welcoming way by the appearance of that lovely lady, Priya. Full of laughter and wonderful stories. I was so glad to see her. She dragged us to a group a few tables away and was eager to show us Lucien and Srikantha! Srikantha looked suave, wearing a black suit and conversing earnestly with another lovely lady who arrived only a few months before him. It was Kamali Nimalsuriya who seemed to dispute Srikantha’s claim that a mortal body contains only this much of sodium, using his pinched fingers. I didn’t want to get into an argument and was wondering what to do when somebody tapped my shoulder. I turned round and was astonished to see Balakumar and Cigar in earnest conversation discussing, I am not sure what. Cigar excused himself as he was asked to join the Band.

I kept walking till I found a display area where there were red motorcycles, and my heart missed a beat as the rider trying it was Tilak Dayaratne! He was disputing a claim by another person I had not seen for years, and it was Satchi who claimed that BSA Bantam was much better. The tall gentleman who was nodding his head in agreement was Sivakumar.

I kept walking and entered a room which was like a prayer room with the faint aroma of burning incense, and there was a woman kneeling in prayer. I gasped when I recognised her. It was Anna Ponnambalam. She was as sweet as ever with a big red pottu and told me I could come here whenever I wanted. She made a little face and whispered that some who really need to be here are more interested in arguing. She pointed to a little alcove where two people were arguing. I was curious and walked up to see whether I knew them. Imagine my surprise when I recognised Tudor and Kiththa! Tudor slapped me on the back playfully with his hand quite strongly and I was ready to wince, but here in the After-World, it didn’t hurt at all. Kiththa excused himself to go to another room. He said something about a cricket quiz.

I heard familiar voices from the table right at the end and was delighted to meet Sundarampillai and NCDM, with Somasunderam. Soma was trying to persuade somebody to have a drink of whisky, but he was declining. When I went closer, I realised why I did not recognise him as he was not wearing his customary thick-rimmed black specs. It was BL Perera! BL recognised me at once and took me to his table as he wanted me to meet some old friends. I am so glad I did, as I met Kumasingham and LGDK Herath. Herath still could not resist adjusting his trousers on his bum.

Hearing laughter coming through the corridor, I walked that way and was greeted by my old friend Ganash who was sipping orange juice while his two companions were enjoying a glass of whisky. Ganash showed genuine pleasure to see me and we reminisced on the days when we lived quite close to each other in Colpetty. When I saw the other two, I felt quite at home as I recognised Chandrasiri and Claude Bernard. They arrived here quite a few years ago and told us how they were greeted and shown around by a lovely couple who appeared so happy. The lady was wearing a pink saree and had long single platt, and the gent was in a plain shirt and trousers. They were Dawne and Russel Paul!

I was just catching up with them when the Band stopped playing, and Suren Iyer walked up to the stage. There was a hushed silence before he spoke. “Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together and warmly welcome the One Who Came Here First., Dr Sunna de Silva!”. Sunna walked in with a slightly bent posture and paused before he, with immense skill, cracked a really hilarious joke which caused fits of laughter. But his facial expression remained totally deadpan! I thought to myself, “somethings never change”

8 comments:

  1. Mahen
    Thank you for the generating that warmth for Remembrance with your wonderful story. You have indeed captured he personalities very well. Reading through there were times, in my mind, the story came pretty close to reality as you have made us relive the past. With the people who were close to me in life there was a whiff of sadness the story had to be ended. Now I just wish if it were true.
    I haven't read the Booker prize story but will do so in the fullness of time. A great achievement by a Sri Lankan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen, I enjoyed your story in the spirit that it was written and I recognized that you were inspired by Shehan K's story. I thought your story was clever, and captured the personalities of some of our friends very well. I don't think anyone was offended by the story earlier, when you posted it without an explanation. They were simply confused!

      Delete
  2. MAHENDRA GONSALKORALEMay 29, 2023 at 12:32 PM

    Nihal and Srianee I am relieved and happy that you enjoyed my somewhat unusual way of recording my appreciation of Remembrance Day where I involved all our departed colleagues in a fictitious reunion. I tried to make it inventive, innovative and interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Speedy
      Congratulations on a masterpiece of creativie writing! It is really very good. I am sure Shehan will be flattered by you borrowing his idea ( I know Shehañ very well, he is a close buddy of Shaan and in fact used him as a sounding board for his writing .. a fact that he publicly acknowledged in the acceptance speech at the Booker award ceremony) !

      Your capture of the characters of our dear friends is entertaining as well as heartwarming .
      Being a Christian I firmly believe in a life hereafter, and look forward to the day we can all meet again. Though the Bible is not very clear about it, I am sure we will be recognizable but with perfect bodies though ( as you imply with the statement of that there is no need for spectacles ) perhaps having altered or glorified appearances.

      Delete
    2. Above comment is from me Suri

      Delete
  3. I do like the Christian concept of meeting with all who have gone before us. It will indeed be some meeting!! I hope it isn't combined with Judgment Day as I have been a naughty boy and a prodigal son.
    This is an interesting story, pure fiction, and in no way disturbs their Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahendra I really enjoyed reading your very well written "ghoulish" article. Shehan Karunatilleke is a nephew of our batchmate Chanaka Wijesekera. Shehan's father is Percy Karunatilleke from the first Peradeniya batch, who is an Obstetrician.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Sanath! I am so pleased you enjoyed it. Frankly speaking, I was sureprsied by the rather muted response. But I am gald I did it. Not surprised to near about connections which are inevitable with Sri Lankans! Trust you are well and as busy as usual.

    ReplyDelete