Thursday, July 29, 2021

SRIANEE DIAS- MY JOURNEY PART II

 The Journey Continues…Srianee Dias

We drove into Kentucky on smaller highways and some very curvy, hilly roads, enjoying the gorgeous countryside and lush, green horse farms.  Following the suggestions of some of the people we met in Ohio, we stayed in Bardstown, Kentucky, which is well known for its bourbon distilleries.  We decided against taking a tour of a distillery and instead made a spontaneous visit to the art studio of a well-known Kentucky artist, Jim Cantrell.  His watercolour paintings were outstanding, and he had been the official artist for Churchill Downs and the Kentucky Derby several years ago. We spent some time talking to his wife who gave us invaluable information about other places in Kentucky worth visiting.  She mentioned an Artists’ Village in Berea, and so over a cappuccino at a nearby coffee shop, we mapped out our route to get there. 

On the way to our destination, we discovered two small, but very interesting liberal arts colleges founded by Presbyterian leaders in the 1800s.  In Danville, KY, we bumped into Grace, a student at Centre College, who walked with us to her campus, and said that she was a 5th generation legacy student at this college.  She had been studying Mandarin for 12 years! Berea College was also similar in size (approximately 1400 students) but offer full scholarships to all students who qualify.  Every student is expected to work on campus.  It was the first College in Southern US to become coeducational and racially integrated.  Marsha and I both felt that there was something very special about this place.  We were directed to the Danforth Chapel by a recent graduate who was busy welcoming students to a conference that morning.  The Chapel was closed, but we found a secluded garden and discovered the unique north wall of the Chapel where there were stones interspersed with the bricks, from different spiritual landmarks of the world.  There were stones from the Canterbury Cathedral, Abraham Lincoln’s tomb, a pyramid in Egypt, and even a stone from India given by Mahatma Gandhi. 

In the Artists’ Village in Berea we met yet another watercolour artist, who was also a calligrapher, who had begun his painting career after retiring from many years in the insurance industry.  He seemed to be very busy travelling, painting and teaching; illustrating the fact that after all there is a life after retirement! 

Next, we travelled on a long and winding (unpaved!) road to the “Tater Knob Pottery,” a family operation where they create one of a kind works of art.  It was tucked away in a remote area outside Berea. We made this effort at the suggestion of the artists we met in Berea, and we didn’t regret it.  The young potter, David, explained and demonstrated the process of making these products, starting with obtaining fine quality clay, processing it to remove gritty particles, and finally creating the numerous hand-painted dishes, pitchers, cups etc., which are all lead-free, and microwave and dishwasher safe.

Later he also shared his struggles with opioid addiction, and how he had lost several close friends to opioid overdoses.  We had read about the devastating tragedy of opioid addiction in these parts of the country, but now we were hearing about it first hand. 

Our original idea had been to drive all the way to Iowa, but since we were now slowing down our pace and lingering longer in the small towns, we made a decision to head south to Tennessee for a little bit and then northeastward back to Connecticut.


At the border of Tennessee and Virginia we drove through the sister cities of Bristol, Tennessee and Bristol, Virginia. Apparently, the states are separated by the double yellow line in the middle of Main Street, where a brass plate demarcates the state line!

(Unfortunately, we found this out on Google after we had driven through!) Before leaving Bristol, Tennessee, we managed to spend some time in the welcome shade of Steel Creek Park, where we enjoyed a paddle boat ride in the small lake, which was very relaxing and fun.

Our overnight stop that evening was in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, where the battle of Gettysburg took place in July, 1863, during the American Civil War. Four months later in November that year President Abraham Lincoln gave his famous Gettysburg address.  Since both of us had previously visited the battlefield and other tourist spots, we spent the next morning exploring the historic buildings and chatting with shopkeepers.  Many churches and private homes had been converted to hospitals at that time and were now identified with plaques, commemorating those historic sites. 


On our way to the Amish district in Lancaster, Pennsylvania, we stopped for lunch at the Peruvian restaurant I mentioned earlier. The owner had decorated the walls with a large mural documenting his arrival and life in the US.  I had never seen anything like that before.  He was obviously a grateful and proud immigrant. 

That afternoon and the next day were spent exploring the Amish areas in Lancaster on a bus tour.  The Amish people had left Switzerland and Southern Germany in the late 17th century where they were being persecuted for their beliefs which differed from the traditional teaching of the Christian churches at the time.  They have maintained their unique, simple lifestyle and religious practices while living among non-Amish people, whom they refer to as “The English”.  They embrace modern technology only on their own terms and refuse to be controlled by technology.  We did see a few younger people pulling out their mobile phones out of their pockets!  They use horse and buggies for their transportation and their electricity is battery powered or generated by propane tanks.  They rely on their “English” friends to drive them to distant places.

We learned that there are about 200 similar communities throughout the US and Canada. 

Our last day before driving back to Connecticut was spent exploring a few towns on the banks of the Hudson River in New York State, just a few hours north of New York City.  These are also charming, historic small towns, that had played a major role in the battles for independence from the British.  At the suggestion of one of the hotel staff we took a commuter train from New Hamburg to Cold Spring and met several friendly, kind people who were more than willing to direct us to interesting places.  They were not very different from the people we had met in Ohio, Kentucky and other places.

On our drive back to Connecticut we realized we had travelled by car, train, bus and boat (paddle boat) on this trip!  We had driven 2460 miles in 13 days, averaging about 190 miles/per day.  We drove through 12 states although we didn’t stay in everyone.

It was a very rewarding and “eye-opening” adventure!

17 comments:

  1. Thank you very much Srianee about your fascinating journey. I enjoyed reading the little historical details regarding the places you had visited.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Srianee
    I'm away from home hence a short comment: It's a fascinating insight into the wunderlust of two girls and their love to see the life and the world around them recorded so beautifully. Thank you. Reminds me of my journey in the hill country I did with my life long friend Nalin Nanayakkara when we were medical students. It is on the blog: https://colombomedgrads1962.blogspot.com/search?q=moto+guzzi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just as interesting as Part I. Congratulations!

    While reading it, I was reminded me of our own drive to Indiana when we were in SC, USA and stayed at Bandula Jayasekara's home in Kentucky for just one day.

    By the way, Bandula is in Sri Lanka right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath, Nihal, and Lucky, I am glad you enjoyed the narrative of my travels with my friend Marsha. She deserves credit for nudging me into action (with regular phone calls) and pushing it into reality. When I shared with her my idea of visiting small towns, it was merely an idea, and I really didn't think I would do it. But, I am so glad that I did. I think when one is on the road together for so long, it is really important to find a compatible travel companion. Even a very good friend may not always be the best "travel buddy." We had to be flexible, and receptive to each other's suggestions. At the end of the day when we checked into our room, we were mindful of giving each other some "quiet time." It worked out well.
      Lucky, yes, I am aware that Bandula is now in Sri Lanka. Kentucky is a really beautiful state and I enjoyed the scenic drive.
      I really hope that I will be able to travel to Sri Lanka in January 2022. Traveling outside the US anytime before that seems highly unlikely.
      Nihal, traveling with Nana on the Motoguzzi must have been quite an adventure! Easy to do when one is 20+ years old but not at 70+! Nevertheless, I consider travel essential to my mental well being.
      Mark Twain said "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime."

      Delete
  4. Srianne, I have no doubt that you were a lady with lionheart, who had overcome fears of the unknown. You were a free free bird who explored the vast terrain, unknown(terra incognito) You were lucky to have a faithful& reliable travel companion. May your name go in the Annals of explorers.
    Lucky, by the way did you enjoy the Kentucky chicken. I have not tasted chicken for donkey's years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have plenty of Kentaky fried chicken takeaways,allover Birmingham and is the same in UK.I sure the Company has ratified allover the World.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ramified allover the World,not Ratified.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathi, Thank you for your complimentary comment! I don't think we were taking unusual risks. It wasn't as if we were traveling down lonely, unpopulated roads. I am also grateful that we didn't have a car crisis even though my car is a ten year old Acura. (I was armed with my reliable AAA card just in case.) Definitely, having the right type of travel companion helped immensely and gave me a lot of confidence. (See my earlier comment.) As for the Kentucky Fried Chicken, we didn't eat any of that while on the road.
      However, the occasional unaccustomed greasy food caused a few problems, but we were prepared with Imodium!

      Delete
    2. Srianne, you did the correct thing by avoiding greasy stuff. Is a nuisance when you have to answer a call of nature in no-man's- land.
      Religiously speaking, I am sure your guardian angel was on your side.

      Delete
  7. Hi Srianee
    A very interesting and rewarding adventure.Impressed how easily you and Marsha communicate with people and their friendly response.I admire your undiminished enthusiasm to explore,see new places and learn their history.In Pennsylvania did you come across any Trump supporters?.
    In December 1965 when we were in the Third MB,Con Bala,two of his friends from the North and myself decided to go to Jaffna.The challenge was not to use public transport as far as possible.Around 9.00 AM on a Saturday we started our journey from the Kelaniya bridge,luck was on our side we got lifts for variable distances( 5 to 50 miles) in cars,Jeeps,lorries and even an ambulance not on emergency duty.Around 6.00 PM we reached Kankasanthurai, as it was getting dark and we were exhausted, decided not to proceed any further.We achieved one of our goals of avoiding public transport and felt quiet proud of covering this long journey in nine hours.
    Fortunately Bala who seems to have a friend in every town, had a contact at the KKS cement factory where we spent the night and proceeded to Jaffna the following morning.The doctors at the Jaffna G.H were most welcoming and very hospitable.


    2460 miles in 13 days,you have a lot of bottle.I would have given up after 3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bora, I enjoyed reading about your hitch-hiking trip to Jaffna! That is something I would consider somewhat risky, especially these days, but I am glad it turned out well for all of you. Having a chatty companion like "Con"Bala was helpful, I'm sure.
    As for Trump supporters on our trip, I suspect that many of the people we spoke with in Kentucky, may have voted for Trump. It is difficult to know if they are still Trump supporters! Marsha and I made a conscious effort to connect with people, but tried to steer clear of politics. But, sometimes it was not difficult to read between the lines when we were conversing with people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi sriyani sanath forwarded your travel details I am also a travel freak but currently limited to sl only that too pruned because of covid international travel is alsoilimited now for the same reason its a pity I didn't know your hunger for travel while in medical school I would have gladly joined you to explore sl in our old age I think, as speedy says its best to be driven in a minibus please do contact me when in sl I would love to see you hopefully recognisable your ponytail is in my mind!!!!

      Delete
    2. Hi Nithya, I'm so sorry it took me awhile to write a response to your comment. I didn't have much time to travel while in Medical College, but when we were younger my parents, uncles and aunts arranged all kinds of fun trips with the cousins, within Sri Lanka. My first international trip was when I traveled to the US, which was quite an adventure! At the moment, international travel is a bit unpredictable because of COVID-19 regulations which tend to change as the situations in different countries fluctuate. That is why my friend and I decided to make this road trip. Even flying within the US can be a bit crazy, because flights get cancelled at the last minute sometimes. I am hoping to make it to SL in Jan 2022, because I really need to see my family. I hope to get in touch with friends as well. Fingers crossed! (FYI, the ponytail is long gone!!!)

      Delete
  9. Srianee and all those who gave glimpses of their own experience, I enjoyed reading them. I cannot recall doing any such adventures but whenever I go to Sri Lanka these days, we do family trips in a minibus which I really enjoy. The scenery and food and the friendliness of the average villager in Sri Lanka is unsurpassed. I do find the "class system" a bit off putting as I don't warm to the idea of servants and bosses and the subservience I see. My more recent ventures on my own has been with singles group holidays through Travel companies. I have made many good friends that way and we keep in touch. I have been to many countries in Europe and also had an unforgettable holiday in India with my "Just You" company group.

    The only noteworthy trip I did as a newly qualified doctor was one I did with 3 of my brothers in my Triumph Herald, staying in quarters of doctor friends - very cost effective and fun as well! It is a trip I recall with much nostalgia.

    Travel broadens the mind and increases the waist!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Speedy, increasing the waist is an invitation to premature death!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Srianee
      I read your second part only now. What an adventure ! In 13 days you have done wonders travelling nearly 2500 miles with only another female especially during this Corona outbreak. Great Srianee, I admire your guts!
      You seem to get attracted towards paintings , Artists village etc.You had met an Artist who started painting after retirement. Even I started painting after retirement. I think Nihal too started painting late in life.
      Our batch mates, it is never too late to start painting. It is a good relaxing hobby. I am sure Srianee and Mahendra too will agree.
      Srianee Well done tour ! Congrats ! Chira

      Delete