Thursday, March 4, 2021

W D AMARADEVA SPEEDY

After the Platters-

And now for something completely different! Let us see the response!

Pandit W D Amaradeva songs - by Speedy Mahen Gonsalkorale

Sri Lankabhimanya Wannakuwattawaduge Don Albert Perera, (December 1927 – 3 November 2016), better known by his adopted name Amaradeva, was a prominent Sri Lankan vocalist, violinist and composer. Primarily using traditional instruments like sitars, tablas and harmoniums, Amaradeva incorporated Sinhala folk music with Indian ragas in his work. Many consider Pandit Amaradeva's contribution to the development of Sinhala music as unmatched; hence, he is occasionally cited as the "Maestro of Sri Lankan Music"

He was the youngest in a family of seven children.His father was occupied in producing and repairing violins al Moratumulla Technical centre. From his young age he was good at playing violin, sitar and harmonium. At the age of 7 Albert was gifted a Japanese tin violin by his father. That was a memorable incident in his life. After receiving the education from rev.Maalaalankara thero in Koralawella temple, he went to several institutions like Sri Saddharmodaya mixed school, Panadura Sumangala vidyalaya, Kaluthara vidyalaya and Balapitiya Siddhartha vidyalaya.

 He has done a great service to the field of Music. He has contributed in Music to a lot of films like ‘Ranmuthudoowa’, ‘Adata wadiya heta hoday’, ‘Sikuru tharuwa’, ‘Gamperaliya’, ‘Getawarayo’, ‘Saama’, ‘Laa dalu’, ‘Saarawita’, ‘Adarayay karunaway’, ‘Delowak athara’, and ‘Wesathuru siritha’.

 He has sung a number of songs. Some of them are ‘Maha boo wannama’, ‘Kumariyaka paa salamba saluna’, ‘Maha wessaka pera nimithi penenawa’, ‘Peenamuko kalu gange’ and ‘Wandimu sugatha shaakya singha’

Then he received his higher education in Music from ‘Bhaathkande Music School’. Once Mr. Albert Perera finished his higher studies in Music, He was given the name of ‘Amaradeva’ by the great dramatist Ediriweera Sarathchandra. Then he has joined with the programs in radio.

My favourites he sings are “sasara wasana thuru”, Aradhana, Shantha me ra yame, Nim Him sewwa, hanthane sihinaya, Etha kandukara.

My offerings- PLEASE CLICK ON BLUE NAME OF SONG TO LISTEN

Sasara Wasana Thuru

SASARA WASANA THURU

Nim Him Sewwa Ma Sasare

Sasara Wasana Thuru

NIM HIM SEWWA

15 comments:

  1. I always prefer Speedy's Sinhala songs. Not that Platters was one of my favourite groups in the days gone by. Remember "Carnival is over"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahen
    Thank you for those songs sung with such feeling, tenderness and care. I am sadly no connoisseur of that genre. Much of the music of Amaradeva is akin to sinhala classical music. In that he is indeed an icon and deservedly so. I was never exposed to his music at home or at school and it is not a part of my past memories or the present. I like those lyrics more than the melodies.
    Do pardon me for trying to be honest about my likes and dislike. In some circles it would be considered as uncultured heresy or even unpatriotic to comment in this way about Amaradeva.
    I have enormous respect for W.D Amaradeva for his immense contribution to Sinhala music and making it popular and pleasing to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nihal, I cannot recall any decent person who suffered because he was honest! Music is about taste and tasted differ, that is it, just differ. There is no moral or aesthetic score attached to the likes and dislikes of a person's sensory experience. What we were exposed to in our formative years has a tremendous effect on us and it is subconscious. So please not worry and continue to be honest. On Amaradeva, I don't like all his songs, just as I don't like some Rolling Stone music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahen
    Thanks.
    I like his version of Aaradhana, Shantha me ra yame, Sasana wasana thuru and Nim Him. His voice is unique and there is a certain warmth which only he has the ability to project so effortlessly.
    There is a song which he sang with Nalin Perera (of Marians fame) towards the end of his life - Shantha me ra yame. Despite the loss of the clarity of his voice due to age and forgetting his lines at times he sang it so beautifully that it plucked on my chordae tendineae. This is available on Youtube
    I have listened to his classical repertoire too which goes well above my head without ever touching what is left of the cortex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the ones you mention too, He has a very recognisable style. At times he sings slightly off-beat but it is deliberate.

      Delete
  5. I forgot to mention his brilliant rendition of "peenamuko kalu gange". In this he creates a magical scene of the river at night with the water shimmering in the moonlight. I am always reminded of this when I listen to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mahen,
    I commend you on your rendition of this Amaradeva song. You sing with great feeling and I think it is a natural 'fit' for you. I confess that I was not exposed to his music when I was growing up. Thanks to your posts on this blog as well as other friends and relatives who are fans, I am now more familiar with his music.
    Thanks also for the 'mini bio.' I can be proud that my ancestors hail from the same hometown! (Moratuwa).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,I too enjoyed the Amaradewa's songs.By the way, when I was small,I heard a saying that I'mpeople from Moratuwa are brainy, purely due to consumption of fish.Is there any truth in it?.

      Delete
    2. Hi Sumathi, I may have to do some research on friends and relatives about their fish consumption!!
      I don't have statistics at my fingertips at the moment, but Moratuwa has produced many musicians, ministers, permanent secretaries, ambassadors, bishops, doctors, lawyers, professors etc. People from Moratuwa seem to be very skilled at singing and dancing the baila as well, with some exceptions like me!

      Delete
  7. Mahen, You sing so beautifully - thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rohini. Whenever I see you on the blog, it brings me a smile on my face. Please do keep in touch. Nihal, myself and Zita are working on Memorial day 28th of May. We didn't want to trouble you but any contribution from you would be most welcome.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Mahen - very sweet of you.
      I know your project will turn out great. My Best wishes to all three of you.

      Delete
    3. Rohini
      Good to hear from you. Is that a gentle YES or a polite NO? Whatever, you've been a great help in the past. Thank you

      Delete
  8. Mahen
    Let me congratulate you re your rendition of Pundit Amaradeva songs.I enjoyed them very much especially Nim Him Sewwa as I like this song.
    We are thankful to you for publishing this valuable article.
    Pundit Amaradeva going to India for higher studies in music to Baaskande Music school had influenced him to reach the great heights he he achieved in Music.
    His great service to the field of music in Sri Lanka, we could consider him as the Father of Sinhala music in Sri Lanka.
    I love Pundit Amaradeva's rendition of Danno Budunge song which is my favourite Sinhala song. I have listened to Rukmani Devi, Nanda Malini, Mohideen Beig and also Cricketer Sidath Wettuimuni versions of Danno budunge.I enjoy listening to this song.
    I also enjoy listening to Pandit Amaradeva and Umariya Sinhawansa song Hanthane Sihine.
    Mahen you are highly talented in music and in so many fields! Wish you all the best! Chira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your appreciation Chira. I love Amaradeva's rendition of Danno Budunge too one of the best.

      Delete