Thursday, April 9, 2020

News of Sunanda (Jimmy) Wickramasinghe










#boldertogether Over the next few weeks, we're talking to our brilliant Bolder generation about coronavirus; sharing coping strategies, ideas for staying at home more often, reading recommendations and far more.
For today's edition we spoke to Dr Jimmy Wickers, 79, who qualified in medicine in Sri Lanka. He works as a GP at his practice in Stockwell and is currently self-isolating at home in London.

7th April 2020                                                           

“Being almost 80 with diabetes, I am in a high-risk category, so I am following the government guidelines of self-isolation very strictly. But I am not scared, I am very fortunate; I see sickness and death so regularly that I learned many years ago that death is part of life. My son had Covid-19 in Zurich which was a stress for us, but he is recovering now. I think everyone is trying to make the best of what is an unsettling period.

It has been heartwarming to see the public acknowledgement of my millions of colleagues in the NHS; it is important to show appreciation of those who are putting themselves on the frontline. I hope that after this crisis we ensure that society reframes the way they see these key workers and the politicians have a more progressive debate on how to protect this Great British asset.

Work wise, I am staying busy and I am able to do consultations by phone. Of course it is difficult to replicate the human experience, but technology is an enabler and post the crisis, I think we will see more and more online health services and the increased empowerment of patients through digital devices.

My father was a big advocate of meditation and I would recommend some form of meditative practice each morning. It engages our brains with our bodies and enables a clear reset. My children show me apps and online tutorials that can help with this; the best known is
Headspace which is offering sessions for free during this period. Of course, try to do some physical exercise each day which is also good for the body, mind and soul. I also recommend that people try and keep a routine; go to bed and get up at similar times and organise your day in a structured way.

My daughter uses social media a lot for her work and of course in the current climate, people are spending more time than ever on these platforms. But be wary of media content that can be panic-inducing and out-of-proportion with the reality of the current situation. Use technology as an enabler rather than a controller of behaviour. Take this time to connect with your friends and family.

We have recently learned that Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital, so I hope he recovers rapidly. My book recommendation is
“The Churchill Factor,” Johnson’s biography of Winston Churchill, which seems highly appropriate now in terms of understanding leadership within a crisis.”

8 comments:

  1. Jimmy is a highly respected GP here in the UK.He is one of our "regulars" at London mini-reunions. It is amazing that he is still in active medical practice at his age. Good luck to you Jimmy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jimmy
    It is great to see you smiling, as always. High Risk?? You seem to be in the pink of health. Glad to hear your son is recovering. Our best wishes go to him and also to your family hoping we will come out of this very much alive and well. Keep blogging and being a part of our community. It is a great pleasure to see you at our London reunions. Take care as you seem to be doing better than most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Friends, I have been in regular touch with Jimmy. One day he informed me that his conscience was pricking him regularly as he left the country soon after graduation even without doing his internship, after receiving free education. When he became aware of my involvement with the newly established Sabaragamuwa Medical Faculty, he expressed a desire to create a bursary for a deserving student in memory of his late father Dr. W G Wickramasinghe who was the Director of Health Services from 1948-1953. He wished to have a student from the area of Hikkaduwa as that was his father's home town. I advised him that a monthly allowance of Rs.5000.00 would be satisfactory. As Jimmy wished for it to continue for a long time, I advised him to establish a fixed deposit, so as to generate a monthly income of Rs.5000.00.After receiving advice from a bank manager,a sum of about Rs 650,000.00 was placed in a fixed deposit, by Jimmy's family.Then I displayed a notice and called for applicants. About 10 students applied and after personally interviewing each of them, I selected a student from the area Jimmy wanted.The student's father happened to be an unskilled labourer with a daily income of Rs1500.00, when he had work. This student has an elder brother who works in a biscuit factory and a younger sister who is still in school. He had entered the Medical Faculty from Ananda Sastralaya Vidyalaya, Matugama. I was really happy that he had got two 60s and a seventy at the last Semester Exam. I think I had made the correct choice. He had fared much better than the Head Prefect from Viasakha Vidyalaya, who is also in the same batch. I managed to find sponsors for four more students. Owners of Vision Care are sponsoring two students and the owner of Marina coconut oil products is sponsoring another student. All these students are from the first batch.
    The second batch was admitted last January and I am pretty sure that there will be similar students in that batch as well. I will try and find sponsors for them as well.
    Nalin Nanayakkara sponsored three students from the Colombo Medical Faculty, some time back and they would have graduated by now.
    A student whom I sponsored was from Dharmasoka College Ambalangoda.Her father was a cinnamon peeler. She was a badminton champion who replaced her racket,each time she won a title. I was extremely happy when she won the Gold Medal at the MD Part 11 exam ,few years later.
    I wonder whether you all are aware that Jimmy captained the Royal College and Colombo University hockey teams. At RC he represented the school in tennis and boxing and the second 11, in cricket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome Jimmy to the blog. Jimmy you look as well as you looked when I last saw you, I think at the reunion. I still have memories of you when you were at Balham. My stop on my way from Finsbury Park to Mitcham to see my then fiancee and now my wife of 49 years. Jimmy it was your then advice to leave Sri Lanka to do the internship that I followed and like you do have some misgivings but I wander what course my life would have taken should I have stayed in SL. By the way tell your wife that the appetizer she served when Speedy Rohini and I had a delicious lunch at your place is a hit with my family is a hit whenever I make it which I do frequently. Why don't you join Zoom session would love to see you participate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jimmy informed that he had captained the tennis team as well at RC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jimmy
    Looking good,very dapper.Impressed with the way you are coping with the lockdown;Telephone consultations,Meditation,exercising and now "Blogging".Enjoyed your company at the mini reunions in London,Satay restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to see you dashing and well.Reminds me of the photo of you Sanath and me at the SLMA dance not so long ago
    Your comments about the NHS reminded me of its founder the truly great Aneurin Bevan.His inspiration had been the Medical Aid society in his Welsh mining village.Apparently he was one of best orators in the British Parliament and earned the respect of his adversary Churchill who said AB was one of the few he listened to in total silence.
    Re meditation your cousin Sunethra had sent us many Buddhist discourses.We used to meet Sanath and her frequently at Cardiology conferences but have lost touch now. Are they in Sydney at present?Manil K has also sent us many links about meditation and mindfulness.Metta Bhavana is one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kumar, I am posting the link you sent on Bevan, a truly great man and a Humanist of the highets calibre- so trare these days.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/long_reads/nhs-70-years-aneurin-bevan-health-welfare-uk-politics-a8421781.html

    ReplyDelete