Saturday, July 13, 2019

Razaque Ahamat

One of my oldest friends has passed away. Of course, we didn't know it then. But it was only when we met on the very first day of commencing the 6 months course in Chemistry (1st MB) in the Science Faculty at Thurstan Road in June 1961 (where we sat next to each other in the lecture theatre), that we were able to renew our friendship. On comparing notes, we realised that we had been classmates in 1948 in the Third Standard (Grade III) at St. Anthony's College, Wattala. Since that meeting, we were together for 5 years in Medical College. That visit to my home some time in the early nineties, with his beloved wife Farina, was destined to be my last meeting with Razaque. He ended up in Scotland and I finally settled down in Sri Lanka. Although we were in touch by snail mail followed by e-mail later since then, I never saw my friend Razaque again. This morning, I read his obituary in the Sunday Observer.

May he Rest in Peace.

AHAMAT – DR. RAZAQUE AHAMAT. Son of late Mr. & Mrs. Hajireen Ahamat,​ son-in-law of late Mr. & Mrs. M.A. Sariman,​ beloved husband of Farina,​ loving father of Melati,​ Dr. Haji,​ Dr. Binthan & Dr. Bulang,​ brother of late Shafi,​ late Firoze,​ late Hussain,​ Rene Ismail & Chumbley,​ brother-in-law of late Jeff Ismail,​ expired on the 7th July 2019 and Janaza took place on 8th July 2019 in Dundee,​ Scotland. No 3,​ Johanwood Terrace,​ West End,​ Dundee DD2-1NR Scotland.067905

5 comments:

  1. I was saddened to learn of Razaque's passing away initially through ND who read the obituary notice in the Sunday Times and subsequently in our blog. Razaque had an amazing and witty sense of humour and had that priceless ability of laughing at himself. He always saw the funny side of things. He approved of me calling him "my substantial friend"! I am so sorry that I couldn't meet him in Scotland although attempts at finding a suitable time were made. I corresponded by email and the occasional telephone call and was aware of his many medical problems. He always joked about the short time left for him on Planet Earth. This excerpt from one of his posts on the Blog is typical of him."...found to have had a so called "Cardiac Event" After all the investigations was sent home after 4 days with only continuation of my present therapy with addition of an anti platelet medication and no interventions. Have lived to tell the tale ....... AGAIN!!!!
    Missed out on God's flight---- still lingering in the 'His' Waiting Room / /Departure lounge!!!".
    He was a devout Muslim, a loyal husband, dutiful son, loving father and above all, a true Human being. May he Rest in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried when I heard about Razaque's loss in a message from Mahendra. I may not have met him for years. But his occasional appearances on the Blog brought back all the lovely thoughts we had of him. He is witty, clever, articulate and always optimistic. Oh yes, I am talking of him in the presence tense. That feels better right now. It is really sad that we will never meet Razaque on this earth again but we have such lovely memories and let us pass on our thoughts and condolences to Farina and the family. Long will you live in our memory, Razaque. You will not answer this message but I know you would have given me a witty reply. May you rest in peace. From, Zita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky, Thank you for keeping us informed as I have detailed in my private email reply to you.
    Iam shocked and deeply saddened by this news.
    My thoughts and prayers are with Farina and his children.
    I shall endeavor to get in touch with Farina direct.
    Kind Regards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I,too was saddened by the loss of our batchmate,Rasaque.He always had a sense of humour in his contributions to the blogs,including about his religion and illness.I share the sentiments expressed by,Speedy,Rohini,Zita and ND.My thought are with Farina and his children.
    "No human being can fight the toll of death"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lucky for keeping us informed. I join all of you in mourning the passing of our wonderful "substantial" friend. He will be sorely missed on our Blog, where he emerged from time to time, sharing his delightful humor and pictures of flowers from his garden. My last meeting with Razaque was in 1992 (?) I think, when we met in London. He was decked out in his Scottish kilt!! (Lucky, I think I sent you a photo a while ago, could you locate it and share it with the gang?) Razaque often referred to being in the 'Departure lounge' so I was quite aware that he was having many health problems. It is still sad to know that we will not be seeing his special brand of self deprecating humor any more on our Blog. (I'm sorry that I've not been more active on the Blog in the past few weeks. My sincere apologies to all of you.)

    ReplyDelete