Thursday, August 23, 2018

An ode to friendship


By Nihal D Amerasekera

Friendships are one of life’s golden gifts. Those made in our youth are specially gilded to last a lifetime.It is hard to replicate that closeness in associations later on in life. In our life’s journey we find companions who walk with us a short way and move out of our sight whilst others remain with us longer. Unlike for our parents, moving far and moving abroad has become common place now. With smartphones and social media keeping in touch is so much easier. But still there are a myriad of factors that keep us apart. Above all there must be the will to maintain contact. How many of those who started Med School with us keep in touch now? There are a large number who prefer to move on in life, or be reclusive and remain incommunicado.

This is not a eulogy for Lubber as he is very much alive but an appreciation of our friendship of many years. After five gruelling years in medical school we worked together for another four years in the Central Blood Bank in Colombo, a large slice of our young lives. We managed to hang on to our friendship despite the distances, careers, family commitments and the many bouquets and brickbats of life. It is indeed a tribute to our friendship.

I recall most vividly the legendary Law-Medical, the intrusion into the cricket match at Reid Avenue and questioning the umpire. The gory details are best forgotten and buried deep. I am certain a résumé is analysed and remembered at reunions and gatherings after a generous dash of the social lubricant. At our final year trip, Lubber’s memorable performance took centre stage. In the chill night-air he wore just his tie and nil else. When asked who he was, he said “I am Argyle Robertson’s pupil”. Even now, this legendary moment never fails to raise a smile. That was a fitting farewell to a journey none of us will ever forget. When this episode was  mentioned previously, Sanath Lamabadusuriya commented this took place in Kurunegala and not in Badulla, as I recalled. I would most certainly trust his memory than my own.

My first meeting with Lubber in med school was perhaps unremarkable, hence lost in the fog of time. I do recall Sunil De Silva’s long tale of how  his classmate from Royal College ,Asoka Wijeyakoon, came to be called Lubber. It seemed Asoka’s teenage swagger on terra firma was like that of a sailor. The term ‘land lubber’ was shortened to lubber. Although most plausible, Sunna’s stories were told with a poker face blurring the fine line between fact into fiction. Despite being at either end of the alphabet we met up in the common room for a tea and a chat.The common room was a very special place for us medical students. It was our own retreat and shelter from the storms of Faculty life. I have often watched him deep in thought over a game of chess with Satchy. He joined in the conversations with his endless stream of wise-cracks. Listening to the repartee between Chanaka Wijesekera, Sunil De Silva and Lubber Wijeyakoon was spontaneous comedy at its best. It moved from the ridiculous to the farcical. The ‘one liners’were brilliantly intelligent and hilariously funny. Those were indeed touches of genius taking the noble art of comedy to a whole new level. I wish we had smartphones to record those treasures for posterity. Their quick wit and humour must swirl in the ether of that common room, despite the years. The Faculty years passed swiftly. After the ‘finals’ we were thrust into the lions’ den of the wider world. Then marriage and careers usurped our lives. None of it was easy!!

I was thrilled to see that familiar swagger entering the Central Blood Bank in Colombo when I was a Medical Officer of that institution in the early 1970’s. We clicked instantly. I was then a drifter at a loose end and was grateful for his company. I do recall our evenings at some of the popular bars discussing philosophy, politics and religion.Those were heady days of idealism, ambition and youthful optimism.There were occasions I joined Lubber for company in his blood donation programs in the out-stations. One that stands out is a trip to Galgamuwa on the road to Anuradhapura. We stayed at the DMO’s quarters as he was away. Emptying his fridge of the amber nectar we chatted deep into the night when we heard a group of girls singing “Oyathamai Bambaketu ekkana”. In our inebriation they sounded like a choir of angels. Then again, we spent a memorable evening in the verandah of the Nikeweratiya Rest House polishing a bottle of Molasses discussing the world, politics and our ambitions and aspirations. These images still haunt me.

I recall the dark days of 1960’s and 70’s with sadness. Sri Lankan politics was in turmoil. The economy was in a perilous state. Our lives and careers were at a standstill. Those were shambolic and difficult times for the people. There were strict import restrictions. The roads were packed with ageing vehicles. “Tighten your belts” was the popular ‘sound bite’ of the government. We soon became accustomed to the vagaries and the intrigue of Sri Lankan politics. During this chaotic period the country experienced a massive brain drain. Jobs were scarce, and many left for greener pastures abroad. I remember it so well. Mahendra Gonsalkorala, Lubber and I debating the pros and cons of leaving Sri Lanka.We couldn’t see an end to the political and economic crisis that crippled our country. They were emotionally charged discussions that left us in a wilderness of confusion.

After much deliberation we joined the rest of the herd for greener pastures abroad. Although I had agonised about it, I never realised the enormity of that decision. My youthful exuberance protected me from the fear of reality. I was immensely fortunate to have Lubber to travel with me to the UK. We boarded the Swissair DC10 and comforted each other until our transit at Zurich. We were dying for a beer. Money was in short supply and we had to syndicate to share a bottle that calmed our nerves. After a change of plane we disembarked at Heathrow airport. I can still remember that cold and wet June afternoon in 1974. There on the concourse of the airport we said our goodbyes and parted company. Lubber disappeared into a Psychiatric Hospital in the heart of Sussex. I started my journey in Pathology in Chase Farm Hospital in Greater London. We kept in touch and met up a few times. Each time we had some drinks and listened to our favourite Sinhala music of Victor Ratnayake which brought back fond memories of our final few years in Colombo. To be frank it was a tough time for us in the UK too. As we drowned in our careers and family obligations there was hardly any time to keep up with friends.There were long periods of silence and we never met on our journey up the professional ladder. When I went into the abstract world of Radiology, Lubber became a respected Consultant Psychiatrist in a London Hospital.

It was a couple of decades later I met Lubber again this time in his pad in London when he cooked a meal for me and the family. We talked a lot about times past, of mutual friends and the pleasures and perils of life. After we parted our contact remained an occasional phone call, out of the blue, and a warm query on how life treated us. It was a shock to our system when our children left the nest. He is rightly proud of his two sons who are Consultants in the National Health Service.

The years rolled by as retirement loomed. Our careers ended as it started with uncertainty and some trepidation. The next I heard of Lubber was when he left the UK. A little birdie told me he was living it up in Bangkok and spending his retirement in ‘well earned’ luxury. No doubt it’s everyone dream to be happy. I thought I had lost contact completely until one day, on a whim, I used an old phone number and sent him a message on WhatsApp.  A few days passed and to my surprise I got a reply. His messages were brief and always after a prolonged latent period.

In May this year I booked a family holiday in Bangkok. Lubber now spends time in Colombo and Bangkok. He made a special effort to be in Bangkok during my visit. He invited us to stay with him in his condominium. Getting into a taxi and finding a location in Thailand is fraught with difficulty due to language problems. Never being a part of the British Empire, Thai people do not speak much English. We felt it would be best to meet near my hotel. It was such a pleasure to see him again, a little more grey and more rotund than I knew. He decided to stay the night at my hotel in the best top floor room. We started a drink in his room and caught up with the lost years of friends, family and our life’s journey. Lubber is tremendous company with or without a drink and has retained many of his formidable intellectual gifts. As always after a drink his wit and humour takes over. We had a fine seafood dinner followed by more drink and chat. Unlike the hard-nosed yours truly, Lubber has a certain empathy for the less fortunate and the downtrodden. He rewarded the waiters and waitresses most generously.  We parted company not knowing if we would ever meet again.

 After several months I was pleasantly surprised to hear from him in London. He was staying in a hotel near Moorgate where we decided to meet. It was wonderful to see him again. Lubber is as always upbeat about life but very aware of the ironies, mirages and illusions that we all must face. Now more than ever life’s oases and their many pleasures drift past us far too quickly. We spoke for just a couple of hours as he had to take a taxi to Heathrow Airport for his return to Colombo. As I think about life, I am convinced more than ever, our lives are a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside and enigma – to misquote Winston Churchill.  

When I look back the memories of 50+ years, Lubber is a kind, sociable friend and a unique human being. This is not an attempt to deify him. He too has the same faults we all possess. As in his youth Lubber is extraordinarily frank, fears no one and still retains an aura of gravitas from his ‘consultant’ days. He has the remarkable ability to bring to any discussion a huge degree of intelligence derived from lateral thinking. I am ever grateful we were able to meet. Let us hope we have the good fortune to meet again. It is said we go back to the beginning as we get to the end. There will not be a better place than Colombo for the next time. As always,we must leave that to the awesome forces of destiny.
*****************************************************************************
Note from the Blog Administrator:

In response to some of the comments, and specifically for the benefit of Rohini Ana and Zita who cannot place or remember Lubber, let me introduce him as best as I could. This is in addition to Sumathi's excellent description of the man. He is in the decent looking pictures below, all of which were taken on the all male Final Year Trip in 1966.

I have another one which I don't want to show right now, although I did include it in my powerpoint presentation at a recent Batch Reunion. Reunion was different because it was a restricted audience unlike the blog which is in the public domain.

After all, a picture is worth a thousand words!

Start - Lubber is squatting on the ground between Yoga and Lameer
Kegalle - Lubber is standing in the second row between VPH Rajapaksa and Speedy
Kegalle - Squatting behind ND, Lama and Bertie Nana 



Kurunegala - Lubber is behind Jaimon and Chandrasiri (Johnny) 









Badulla with "The Igloo" HO's quarters in the background. Lubber is squatting behind Lakshman Jayasinghe and Yankee Bala 

Hatton - near the place where we were entertained by the senior doctors in Hatton. Lubber is standing between Nalin Nana and Chanaka





62 comments:

  1. I am also of the opinion that a written tribute to a living person is much more valuable than one written after death. I am sure, Lubber will be the happiest reading ND's lines, so well written as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Lucky on all counts.
    A lovely gesture for a long -time friend by Nihal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohini. Great to see you on the blog and thanks for the comment. Chanaka May wish to read about his friend. Today is the beginning of the long August weekend but the weather forecast is lousy. Such is life!!

      Delete
    2. Nihal, I shall bring this to Chanaka’s attention -thanks.
      Let’s hope the weather-man is wrong this time !

      Delete
  3. Lucky
    Thank you for the prompt and efficient service you provide and the kind comments. Yes it’s best to write tributes when people are alive. It has to be written with great sensitivity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ND,You always write brilliantly.My wife,whom you met at London gathering commented how talented you are in writing articles.
    It is nice to hear,whereabouts of our friend,Lubbar.I have been a friend of Lubbar since Medical school days and beyond.We worked in Anuradhapura General in late sixties(of course after internee period)He was acting JMO and I was in the OPD(glorified medical clark).We were,newly married and had hardly anytime to have a "tete-a-tete".He had a car and I could not afford one.They had a transfer out of Anuradhapura,before me and lost all the contacts.I gathered from another source that he was in the field of Psychiatry and reached the highest status-Consultant.
    I am happy that he is enjoying the sun shine and a healthy diet in Thailand and Motherland.I have never been to Thailand,but has seen the country and its people in Tele.Thailand has many beautiful Dagobas and it has higher percentages of Buddhists compared with SriLanka.ND!you have seen the country yourself and met good old Lubbar,at last.as Lucky has stated,it is more valuable to hear about the living!.

    Sumathi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please erase word clark and replace with clerk(hope,I am showing early sign of memory loss).

    Sumathi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sumathipala you are a star always generous in your comments and do very kind. You are too modest for this world of huge egos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks,ND for your comments.I,have never been in the elite class among our colleagues;Lucky knows all about it.I hope you too will learn soon about it.When is our rendezvous?

    Sumathi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be coming up to Birmingham in October and will let you know. Lets have a beer together and talk about old times. At our age there are no elites. We are all in the same departure lounge. The class system is now long gone. I recall it was there in medical school as it also existed in the wider society but we were all young then and never got our values right. That is best forgiven and forgotten. We are all in it together.

      Delete
    2. Well said, Nihal! My favorite cynic, Oscar Wilde said "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars!"

      Delete
    3. Srianee
      What a lovely quote and how very true. Thank you. He had reason to be cynical about society and life but his wisdom astounds me.

      Delete
  8. A wonderful well-written article as we now routinely expect from ND. We must continue to appreciate "beauty" even though it becomes the norm! It was lovely to get news of Lubber. It is sad but in a way quite understandable that in this journey of life, we develop new relationships. cross new frontiers and lose touch with the past. This doesn't mean we have abandoned our memories, our friends and our history. What I have found out over and over again is that when old friends meet, we just pick up from where we left and enjoy each others company. As we walk the future into new horizons, it is but natural for what we leave behind to become more distant and smaller unless we have the good fortune to look back and recognise from time to time. I was sad to miss Lubber but just accepted it as "one of those things" in the full knowledge that we had something good between us and time and distance has not devalued it. I hope that I have the good fortune to meet him again and I know that both of us will rejoice in our reunion. Good luck to him and thanks again for your lovely article ND. Lastly, Sumathi, you are as valuable and appreciated as anyone else and it is what you are that matters, not the path that led to it. Smile and be happy my friend, we have only one life as far as I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen
      Thanks for the kind words. Lubber spoke warmly about your association and confirmed he would be in touch soon. I think my Winston Churchill misquote best describes the complexities of life.
      We all have changed from chubby faced medics in the Faculty. You have explained the reasons and the transformations most elegantly. But we still care about those days and cherish those memories.
      The Blog remains a unifying forum even though we may be oceans apart.

      Delete
  9. Hi,Speedy!I am ruminating about my past.You and some others in the group were not so called Kultoors(cultured&elite).Lubber was certainly in the same category.Glad that he is enjoying his retirement in a warm climate.ND,I am looking forward to meet you.There very good eating place,walking distance from my home,in Edgbaston.

    Sumathi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ode to Friendship, yes it's a good title for this genre of blog articles. Right! Old Royalist, 1962 Medical batch mate, faithful friend, admirable personality, all fit well this chapter of articles, Nihal! And you gave us accurate insight into this admirable batch personality, Asoka Wijekoon. Your account is a fitting tribute to friendship, which can last across continents, across time and through a life time. I read this account with great interest and I can say, this is the way forward- write an ode to living person, and not wait to write 'appreciation' later which a person can't see. On reading this we also appreciate your gift in style of writing and we impatiently await a book written by you. Thanks from Zita

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita
      Thank you for your kind comments. You are a regular blogger and help to keep it alive. It is so lovely to hear from friends. We miss your evocative poetry. Do keep writing.

      Delete
    2. Very sorry Zita,I got your first name wrong.The blooming Greek alphabet is playing havoc in my brain.

      Sumathi

      Delete
    3. OH I didn't even notice it. I was very happy to meet you at the mini reunion and I always 'jump' to read your entries on the blog. So keep them rolling in. As for my name, I am quite happy to be called, Rita, Zeeta, Seetha, Sita etc etc as these are all names I have been called at some point. I am quite happy about it. Zita

      Delete
  11. ND,Zeta deserves a poet laureate award!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zita is the poet. She is brilliant. Those generous comments are good enough for me. If you insist I will have a pint of lager !!

      Delete
    2. That's it! What's better than a pint of lager, sit back, and write something, anything, as the gentle stimulus will further activate your brain cells and yes please let us read the result. You've got so much there to share with us. Zita ps thanks for your kind comments about my verse writing. I can't really call it poetry. Z

      Delete
  12. Hi ND, I greatly appreciate the news of Lubber. Speedy Lubber and I were study partners in the final year. I would drop him back home after our night study session around 3-4 AM. It is to the credit of Speedy and Lubber who instilled into me the Study habits which helped me a great deal in later years. To them I will be ever grateful. I have been trying to contact Lubber but without success, and I am glad he is well and happy. If he wouldn't mind, I would like to contact him. Please send him my email address. I do agree with other comments keeping us informed of our batch mates when they are still around would certainly be of interest to us all. As for your literary, talents, are you sure you went to Medical school and not a major in English ? I too am ready for a pint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Patas my friend how lovely to hear from you. I can pass on your email to him if you could send yours to me. I am certain he would be delighted to make contact again. We’ve all been on an amazing journey through life and writing little snippets of our memories is both interesting and cathartic. So pleased you now read and comment on our blog. You write so well. Take care my friend

      Delete
  13. Hi, my Pal ND,
    That was a great tribute to a Friend.
    A Friend is a Friend for LIFE.
    I do remember him only as LUBBER.... Asoka, I did know NOT!!
    He was all smiling , most generous, ever positive as I knew him.
    Hope he is in Bangkok.... without his wife!!!
    Tkank you ND.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raz
      Thank you. It’s great to hear from you. Lubber is doing fine and is happy. Keep in touch my friend. Best wishes to you and Farina

      Delete
    2. Bonnie Prince Razaque,

      Friend in need is a friend indeed.

      Delete
  14. Nihal, Iam still trying to figure out who Lubber was in med school- any photos taken back then ? With his permission of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Rohini,
      Lubber was bespectacled fair skin,medium built male named Asoka Wijekone.He married Dulcie Liyanage,an attractive lady.He was in the group with names starting in "W"You will remember names such as Wickramasinghes,Weerasooriya,Wicramasekeran,Wijesekera,Wijeratna,Wicramaarachchi(Tudor)Last but least good old Wijekone.Lucky will check and enter the missing names,should there be any.I am fortunate to associate with them and be familiar with the names,including there initials.What about you girl from Ladies College?.

      Do n't think,I am insulting you.

      Sumathi

      Delete
    2. Hi Sumathi! Thanks! I too wondered who exactly 'Lubber' is. Is there any chance of seeing a photo of him? Zita

      Delete
    3. This is not a reply but Zita again to say, sorry I asked to see a photograph ignoring all the photos that appeared above. I can only explain that the brain doesn't work at times. Zita

      Delete
  15. Hi Rohini
    Sorry I have no photos of the guy. I went well prepared for a selfie but being engrossed in the chat completely escaped my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nihal, I don’t blame you !There would have been so much to reminisce-
      Iam glad you had a great time- cheers

      Delete
  16. I would also like to see what Lubber looks like now. I have not met him since March 1967. This is quite unlike Rohini's problem where she is unable to place him. He was of course better known as "Lubber. As Medical Students, I didn't know that his first name is Asoka. Sometime ago, I was trying to start a feature - "Then and Now". But it never worked due to lack of response. Can I have a second go? But then it's like our Batch Album where I have tried to get consent on a "case by case" basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then and now!!. Great idea. Let’s make a start. I wonder if we get support from both sexes!! Or Should we just remember friends as they were young and handsome/pretty

      Delete
    2. I agree with ND. Go ahead with your second go, Lucky
      I shall send an ugly photo mine as I am now. I am afraid it is not the handsome me that was!!!.

      Delete
    3. The topic then and now is a great idea but requires some caution as it won't spoeal to all. I certainly have no personal objection. But I am not sure how we can determine who wants to volunteer. We could start with the blog regulars who can respond quickly but I sudpect the total yield from our batch would be small.

      Delete
  17. Hi this is Zita again at the tail end of the present discussion. I hope the 'tail will extend' as we would all love to have the input from many more batch mates. I want to reply and support the ideas mentioned by Mahendra in a comment above. It is about how we move on, make new friends, lose touch with the old however close we may have been to them etc. I remember a lecture and discussion I attended at the Galle Medical Faculty long years ago and it was a extremely good speaker, whose name I forget and it could even be Prof Carlo Fonseka. What I heard in that lecture is that it is normal to move on in friendships and relationships. i.e. to make new ones and forget some of the older ones as we go on in different stages of life. It appears that at any given time one can know properly about 70 people. And this 70 figure will have losses and additions of particular names and that's quite natural. It does not mean we have discarded some, not appreciated them nor not love them anymore. It seems that it is in the nature of humans to be able to interact with about 70 in any given time. Zita

    ReplyDelete
  18. Please see the extensions to ND's article.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you our fantastic blog administrator!
    So kind of you to have gone into all this trouble to identify Lubber for us.
    I do remember him well, now that I’ve seen the photos.
    Shall return to the blog later (even tomorrow) to write a few replies-
    Can’t thank you enough ! Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Sumathi, I appreciate your kindness in describing Lubber for me.
    In reply to your query above, I was aware of some of the guys whose names started with W, but unfortunately missed getting to know them. It had nothing to do with the school I attended.It was just the Sri Lankan culture with gender segregation. I was brought up not to speak to boys !! and in med school I didn’t speak to any of them unless I was spoken to, or there was a need, and none of them spoke to me !! Not even you! Now, In my dotage I feel somewhat free to have a chat !
    I didn’t take your query as an insult ! I appreciate your friendship.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks,Rohini,
    Have you forgotten the fact that Virginia,Chandra,Selvadurai,Thiruviam,Daya,you and me were in the clinical group.You were right,I might have spoken only a few words during that period.It might have been a few of taking to some one from the "elite class"?
    Ignore my last comment.It was perpursely done to make the blog interesting.
    Who knows(almighty),we may meet in person,if I survive few more years.ah byantoe.

    Sumathi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumathi, I have not forgotten any of you from our clinical group- I also have fond memories of Sivaguru, Singarayer etc - lovely girls who pretty much kept to themselves in their modesty. Yes, let’s hope we meet.
      Cheers

      Delete
    2. Thanks,Rohini for reminding me of the two missing in our group.We,certainly did all the surgical attachments.However,we were not together in the Medical rotation.Sivaguru was a pretty looking girl,already hitch-on to Uncle bala and I had no chance.I met Maheswarie Singarayer at the last London get-together.Maheswarie was a fun loving girl and not the reserved type.I was fortunate to meet Daya Undu and Virginia since leaving Sri-Lanka.I,am sure you were aware of those meetings.Very shy girl Philomena Thiruvium supposed to suffered from a mental breakdown and was in Jaffna Hospital.I have no idea what the outcome was.During my stay in Ketawalamulla in the second year of the Medical school,I cycled,passing the house,Philomena,stayed with her married elder sister.,in PunchiBorella.They were very near to Dr.Thanabalasundaram's and Carlo Fonseka's houses.
      I have lost contact with Virginia.I hope,she does read our blogs.
      By the ,way I have not forgotten,how Anthony tried to bully you girls,by asking you to perform PR examinations and diagnosing inguinal hernias,in men
      Cheers,

      Sumathi











      Delete
    3. Sumathi, I sincerely hope life has treated Philomena well since the episode you mentioned. I have thought of her often.
      I was not aware of your meetings with any of our colleagues until you mentioned them . I have had the pleasure of meeting Virginia a few times. While it is a joy to reminisce about good old friends and events, there are some memories from the past one needs to shut the door on and move forwards, whether they are of people or of circumstances. They have been part of our lives for some reason, perhaps to teach us lessons - and once they have been learnt, we need to leave them behind and move on. It is futile to dwell on past misfortunes.
      The Lord Buddha said that our thoughts make our world, and the Bible says to think on what’s beautiful and of good report -
      We need to accept with gratitude where we are at now, and move on contented. We are meant to be happy !

      Delete
    4. Rohini, I heartily agree with the wise words that you have written above. It is fun to reminisce, but there is no sense ruminating on negative events or past mistakes. Learn from one's mistakes and keep moving forward. Enjoy!

      Delete
    5. Rohini&Srianee,Thank you for the excellent advice.Is not too late to learn things from learned friends.Rohini!you are not only a doctor,but also a philosopher.Srianee!I hope your skin is as smooth as it was half a century ago.
      Let bygones be bygones.Move forward,happily in the remaining years of life.

      Cheers,

      Sumathi

      Delete
    6. We all keep learning Sumathi- even unto the end ! Let’s be happy !
      Cheers

      Delete
    7. I learn from the wisdom of my worthy friends who have commented before me. This is the light at the end of the tunnel. We have worked so hard for it. Let us enjoy the fruits of our labours. See how happy the birds are. They only think of today. Let us not be anxious for tomorrow for tomorrow will care for itself? Leave the past well behind.

      Delete
    8. A lot of wisdom, a lot of common sense from all of you who contributed. I shall add just one more thing to think about. We all come to crossroads in our life. Which path should i tread? What happens if I choose the wrong path? All this should be given due consideration utilising all available facts and a decision reached. When you then follow that path, don't waste your time wondering whether you chose the correct one and thinking of all the "what ifs". You chose a path, now stick to it and make it work. Don't look back and ruin your mind ether regretting or repenting. Forget the rear view mirror and look ahead and proceed with confidence and hope.

      Delete
  22. I agree with all of you that an appreciation about a living person is far more valuable than one written after the person concerned has passed away.
    I knew Lubber quite well from the Royal College days. He entered RC in 1953, one year before I did so. Later I caught up with him when I got a double promotion.During our Final Year trip when he starred as Dr. Argyll Robertson,I was his pupil in similar attire! During his internship he married Dulcie Liyanage, who was in our senior batch.At that time he was working with Dr. Panchalingam as an intern house officer at the Castle Street Maternity Hospital and was given only short leave for his wedding. He left sharp at 2.30 pm, got married, went on his honeymoon (could not have been very far!) and reported for work the next day sharp at 7.30 am! In the mid-nineties when I was on sabbatical leave, I spent a weekend with him in Essex. Later I attended one of his son's wedding at the Taj Hotel in Colombo.
    As I would Like to contact him Nihal, could you please send his e-mail address to me via e-mail?
    Sanath

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely to read your reminiscences of our mutual friend Lubber. I would also dearly love to meet him. He is one with whom conversation is always interesting and humorous. Such a witty fellow! I think those who know him well will always recognise him from far when he walks towards you with that trade-mark swagger!

      Delete
  23. Hi Sanath
    So pleased you were able to comment as I know you have a tight schedule. You are the missing link in our tribute to a friend as you joined Chanaka and Sunna in those magical conversations in the Common Room. The Argyll Robertson sketch has entered the folklore of that great institution. Lubber always spoke warmly of your association and he did tell me he would be in touch with you in Colombo. I will indeed send you the email with the usual caveat that he is never prompt in his replies and do excuse the prolonged latent period!!
    With your family in England you must be a regular here. Do let me know whenever you come to London even at short notice as it would be a great pleasure to see you. We did miss your stories and those most remarkable recollections at the London Reunion.
    Take care my friend

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nihal, at present my daughter Dilusha and her son Tharusha are with me in Colombo and would return to Norwich in December. I will most probably visit them as well as our son Harshan, during the next summer.
    Sanath

    ReplyDelete
  25. Argyll Robertson pupil.I still remember the simplified version of it as accommodation reaction present,but does not constrict,when bright light is shone into the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  26. With ND’s indulgence and without detriment to his wonderful post, I thought it is time to inject a bit of humour, and a touch of controversy?

    An Ode is usually a poem expressing the writer's thoughts and feelings about a particular person or subject, usually written to that person or subject. As far as I know, an ode is always in poetic form although it can be in the form of music too. They are usually short and do not necessarily have to rhyme.

    My Ode to Lubber would be

    A man physically of short stature
    But filled with goodness, and mature
    A true friend and valued colleague
    He is surely in a different league
    The swagger immediately says it is him
    We, his loyal mates sing from the same hymn
    Our wonderful Lubber of Argyle fame
    A wit so extraordinary, much to acclaim
    A lateral thinker par excellence
    A pleasure and honour on us bechance
    Three hearty cheers to Lubber!
    Language! Language! But he is a lovely “bugger”!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A wonderful summary of the life of a great friend. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fantastic, poetic Ode to Lubber! Every word means something and adds to the total effect. Lovely! Well done, Mahendra!
      How can one follow that? But please do add, if anyone wishes. This is turning out to be a unique series of comments of all we've ever had on our Blog. Nihal started it with his fantastic Ode to Lubber. And what a discussion it's turned out to be! Thanks everyone! From Zita

      Delete
  28. Hello Nihal and everyone else, I was in transit these last few days and I have finally arrived in West Hartford, CT (my home base for the next few months!) These days I'm a bit confused about where "Home" is exactly! But it is really where one's loved ones are, isn't it? It is more a mind set than a physical place. Now I will settle down and enjoy the company of the friends I have treasured over the last 40 years or so. Nihal, your "ode" to your friendship with 'Lubber' was fun to read. It emphasizes the fact that even though we lose contact for a while, we should never ignore the opportunity to reconnect. I remember 'Lubber' well, partly because I had other friends in the 'Vs and Ws' section, like Malkanthi W, Lucky W, Vishweswara etc. I happened to sit next to him much later at a SLMANA event in NYC, and had a very good time talking about many things, including the music of 'Queen!' I think a bunch of people came from the UK that year. Does he get in touch with people when he comes to Colombo? It would be lovely to meet him again.
    (We seem to have attracted an interesting 'Bot.')

    ReplyDelete
  29. Srianee
    It is so lovely to be able to go where your heart takes you. Home is where your heart is, close to your family. Lubber may wish to join those lavish gatherings. Patas too is keen to make contact with him like many others.
    We all wish you will be able to keep closer to the blog despite your many family commitments.

    ReplyDelete