Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Sad News - S. Vedavanam has passed away

Lakshmi (Chellappah) Ganesvaran has just informed me that S. Vedavanam
of our batch had passed away in London about a month ago. He leaves
behind his wife Dushyanthi and two children and their families.

Veda was a particularly good friend of mine some years ago. For a
short period of three months in 1974, I shared with him his room at
Regent House when he was attached to the Central Blood Bank. I was
stationed in Matara as an MOH in 1974, and I had to proceed to
Berkeley, California for my MPH on a WHO Fellowship. I managed to work
up a temporary transfer to the Health Education Bureau to facilitate
my travel arrangements in Colombo. I was married at the time but Veda
was still single. He invited me to stay with him as I too was going to
be a bachelor for three months! I returned to Sri Lanka in September
1975 with my wife and three year old son, but I found that Veda too
had left for UK during my absence. I was not sure whether he had
resigned or left on no-pay leave for post graduate studies.
Unfortunately, we lost contact with each other and remained so until
his unfortunate demise this year.
May he rest in peace.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for passing on the information Lucky. Yet another reminder of our mortality.Sadly, I have had no contact with Veda although he has been in London.I shall always recall his cheeky and cheerful nature.
    Please pass on my condolences to the family if there is a way.

    ReplyDelete