Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Remembering Jupiter Moonemalle- ND Ameresekera

Remembering Jupiter Moonemalle

Nihal D Amerasekera

I love looking through the batch signature photographs on the blog. They bring back memories of the “way we were” all those years ago.

I remember Jupiter Moonemalle more vividly from my Kurunegala days than from our time at the Faculty. I interned at the Kurunegala Hospital and spent a further two years on the edge of the so-called Dry Zone. During that time, Jupiter was often seen visiting friends and family at the hospital. Whenever our paths crossed, we would pause to chat and reminisce.

When I looked through the signature photographs on the blog, I simply could not find Jupiter’s photograph. That prompted me to make an effort to trace him through the internet.

At the Faculty, Jupiter was a quiet and dignified person who frequented the canteen and was occasionally seen in the Men’s Common Room. I often had lunch in the canteen, and there were times when we sat together and chatted. As our names were some distance apart in the alphabetical order, our paths did not cross very often, except during those long treks through the maze of corridors of the GHC. Jupiter never took part in the many fun events at the Faculty, but he remained a friendly and pleasant person throughout those arduous five years.

Jupiter belonged to the prominent Moonemalle family of Kurunegala, a historic family with a long tradition of social and civic standing in the North Western Province. His family hailed from the village of Moonemalle in the Kurunegala District. He attended St. Anne’s College, Kurunegala, and remained deeply loyal to his alma mater, eventually serving as President of its Old Boys’ Association.

Jupiter went on to specialise in Sexually Transmitted Diseases and devoted his professional life to serving the people of Kurunegala. He also maintained a private practice in the city. He used his knowledge and professional standing to design and conduct public awareness programmes addressing important social and health issues affecting the people of the North Western Province. Through his dedication and service, Jupiter made an immense contribution to healthcare in Kurunegala and earned the respect of the community.

A more recent photo I got from FB-Mahen
As I searched for more information about Jupiter, I was immensely saddened to learn that he had passed away in October 2023. I draw some comfort from knowing that he enjoyed a rewarding professional career in the district he loved and was widely respected for his service to its people.

In astrology Jupiter is the planet of good fortune, expansion, abundance, philosophy and wisdom. His parents have chosen his name wisely.

Despite his standing as a senior doctor and his distinguished family background, Jupiter is remembered by many in Kurunegala for something far more enduring—his humility, simplicity, and down-to-earth demeanour.

May he find eternal peace.

This photo of Galle Interns 1968 is from Kumar Gunawardane. Jupiter is standing fifth from the Left between Kumar and SR De Silva.

From Kumar's post: Seated L-R: Ranjan Fernando, Amitha Samarakoon, Vasantha Thuraisingham, Maldeniya, ?????, Rohini Abhayaratne, Vipula Aryasinghe, Dharmani Perera, Sriani Dissanayake, Chitra Perera, Rohini Senaratne, Swarna Withane, DR Ramyasiri

Standing L-R: Percy Karunatilake, Siddique Cassim, ???, S.R. (Sunna) de Silva, Jupiter Moonemale, Kumar Gunawardene, M.Viswanathan, Byrd Gunasekara, ????????, PG Cooray, Daya Mudannayake, Ranjit Jayawardene, Lakshman Thenuwara, Fulgentius, DSC Attale


3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Nihal. I have no idea why his name does not appear in the Batch Directory and his photo is not in the Sig Photos. If colleagues knew him well, please do post a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahendra
    Thank you for the rapid response to pay tribute to yet another batchmate who has now passed on. The photo does indeed bring him back to life rekindling memories of the time we were all together.
    With nearly 160 in our batch it was near impossible to get to know everyone well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahendra
    Thank you for the photo of Jupiter in later life. He has indeed aged gracefully.

    ReplyDelete