Thursday, September 24, 2026

TWO SETS OF TABLE MATS -DR. C.D.JAYAWEERA BANDARA

TWO SETS OF TABLE MATS

Sewn by DR. C.D.JAYAWEERA BANDARA

THE FIRST SET OF EIGHT TABLE MATS WERE CROSS-STITCHED

Cross-stitch material was used.

A Twig of Roses was cross-stitched on the left side of the table mat.

 

                                                Enlarged view


A two-inch-wide green ribbon was folded and sewn at the margin with cotton material to cover the back.

                                     Completed Cross Stitched Table mat      

                                                                                        

                            Eight cross-stitched table mats on the table


THE SECOND SET OF TABLE MATS WERE DONE WITH HARDANGER EMBROIDERY

After sewing two Hardanger table mats, it was published in our Batch Blog on the 22nd of October 2025.

You may see this by clicking on this Link :-https://colombomedgrads1962.blogspot.com/2025/10/hardanger-embroidery-dr-cd-jayaweera.html

Hardanger Embroidery is a beautiful Norwegian Embroidery that has counted thread and cutwork. That means that the stitches are made by counting the threads and making them in regular, even sizes on the fabric, and some of the background fabric is cut away.

Hardanger is a traditional cultural region in Vestland county, Western Norway, and the Hardangerfjord is the magnificent, 179-kilometer-long waterway that defines and dominates the area. Often affectionately nicknamed the "Queen of the Fjords," this region is celebrated worldwide for its dramatic natural beauty, rich cultural heritage, and thriving agricultural traditions.

Modern Hardanger fabric is a even weave cotton material woven with pairs of threads typically 22 pairs of threads, typically 22 pairs per linear inch in both directions, referred to as 22-count.

Hardanger embroidery is difficult to do; it needs a lot of concentration, patience, and it is time-consuming. It is important to count the sewing threads - always 5 and the fabric threads- 4. If it is not done correctly, the fabric cannot be cut properly, and the threads cannot be removed. It is important to check the above regularly and unpick if there is a mistake like doing cross stitching.

Hardanger fabric, a Tapestry needle (blunt tip), a 12-inch diameter circular frame and fine scissors are used.

I am so happy that I was able to complete eight Hardanger embroidery table mats.

The next step was to apply shirt collar stiffening material to the back of each table mat and iron it so that the table mat would be stiff.

                                                Seen below on the left.

.

Shirt collar stiffening material applied to the back of each table mat and ironed to make it stiff.                  See above on the right. 

                        Eight Hardanger Embroidery Table mats completed

Note:   The motifs are slightly different in the table mats at the two extreme ends.

                         Enlarged view to appreciate the intricate embroidery

Hardanger Embroidery is extremely difficult to do. I nearly gave up. It requires sheer perseverance and self-determination, and these qualities drove me to complete the eight Hardanger embroidery table mats.

Footnote by Speedy about Hardanger Embroidery

Hardanger embroidery directly originates from the Hardanger region of Norway. While its roots trace back to ancient Mediterranean needlework styles that traveled through Europe via trade routes, the technique was isolated and uniquely perfected by women living along the Hardangerfjord between 1650 and 1850. It evolved into a distinctive national craft, traditionally used to embellish linen aprons, collars, and cuffs for the bunad (the Norwegian folk costume). What makes Hardanger embroidery so special is its stunning combination of geometric precision and openwork lace effects. Unlike freeform surface embroidery, it is a highly structured technique defined by several unique elements

8 comments:

  1. I am delighted to post another superb creative effort by Chirasri. I am so pleased that she puts her talent to good use and prouduce such great stuff! Also, thanks Chira for your help in keeping the blog alive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahendra
      Thankyou very much for taking so much care in publishing this post.
      I also appreciate educating us with knowledge about Hardanger town.
      Chira

      Delete
  2. Dhusyanthi Vedavanam.September 24, 2026 at 7:50 AM

    I am so proud of you Chira for the intricate embroidery you have produced in cross stitch and Hardanger Embroidery. What a useful , delightful and pleasurable hobby. Many congratulations Chira for creating such beautiful works of art.
    Very Best Wishes
    Dhushyx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhushy
      Thank you very much for appreciating my needlework.
      I value it greatly.
      Chira

      Delete
  3. Hello Chira
    Thank you for sharing those wonderful creations with us. I like the intricate work and the vibrant colours. You have such immense talent to produce such beautiful work. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it true Chira that when asked about your work, you told somebody, "Eye Surgeon" and he said "Yes, I know you are a Surgeon but what type of surgeon are you?"!! I am sure that your Hardanger work expertise is so good because of your surgical skills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahendra
      I am sure you made this up.
      Even if a person has surgical skills, I don't think one can do Hardanger embroidery without perseverance and self determination.
      Chira

      Delete
  5. Nihal
    Thank you very much for your comment which I appreciate greatly, specially coming from a male.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete