REUNION RECOLLECTIONS
Kumar Gunawardane
The first reunion I attended was in 1992, the twenty-fifth anniversary of our release from the hallowed but restricted haunts of Kynsey Road. My onetime Bloem roommate K (Kumar aka Con) Bala, who was also one of the organisers, invited me to talk on Cardiology Down Under. It was scheduled for the afternoon of the symposium, the pretext for what was really a fete for buddies and comrades.
The preceding speakers, without exception, had exceeded their time limits, and Mahen asked me to drop my piece de resistance; perhaps a blessing in disguise, as it may have averted the spectacle of both the speaker and the audience falling asleep simultaneously. I rushed off to bed to catch up on sleep in preparation for the bacchanalian fiesta which was to follow. On the way, I was treated to the spectacle of a colleague’s unsuccessful attempts to open his room door. An analogue of the opening scene of Charlie Chaplin’s masterpiece “Limelight”; the inebriated Calvero (CC) fumbling with his front door lock.
The summer of 1997 was good; a real summer disputing the calumny that the English winter ends in July and begins in August. The sun shone, the sky was blue with wispy white clouds, and migrant birds twittered in Regent’s Park. The afternoons were long and the evenings cool. Kanthi, her mother and I had arrived for a sojourn in London well before the Reunion to be followed by a tour of Scandinavia. The ladies enjoyed shopping in Oxford Street to the full while I went sightseeing. We had a good look around Windsor too, as we stayed a couple of days there with a good friend.
The festivities started with a dinner dance. An unusual feature was the separate party for the youths of whom there were many, the offspring of our colleagues. A standout figure was the rotund Razaque whose daughter’s special birthday coincided with our celebrations. He wore a Scottish Highland dress complete with kilt, sporran, hose and flashes, provoking many bawdy comments. The girls looked glamorous in gorgeous sarees, and men were smart and elegantly attired; all seemed untouched by the passage of years. I recall a witty and humorous speech by Ranjith Dambawinna which evoked not only uproarious laughter but also embarrassed giggles. He was particularly savage on some of his close mates in the nicest possible way. The night merged with the trembling dawn before we crawled to our beds drained but joyous.
The next day we trooped to the seminar as duty had to prevail. The lectures were scholarly, but mostly floated over our befuddled heads.
There was boundless joy in catching up with old friends, particularly those who had been at school with me like Bora. Both of us had come together to England too and started working in the same hospital. Somehow the anecdotes sounded much better in the retelling; another advantage was that disagreeable memories were either forgotten or very deep in the psyche. There were, of course, newfound friends no less precious.
The dinner dance on the second night was glittering. Our table had Bora and Harshi, Swyrie and Ken Balendra and the three of us. The conversation was brilliant, the food delicious, the wine free-flowing, and the music melodious. Those who could dance swayed gracefully to the music, but everyone took to the floor when the ‘baila’ session began.
There were poignant moments too.It was the last time I met our divine confrere Sue R. As always, she was gracious and ethereal. When we hugged goodbye, she remarked wistfully that the Colombo years were a blank, due to the trauma of moving away from Peradeniya.
It was also the first and last time I met Chandrasiri, since the ‘great dispersal’ of 1962. He had been sponsored by some colleagues for achieving the distinction of becoming the acting Vice-Chancellor of Ruhuna University. Bora and I have previously detailed our close association with him in our final year. This time, however, the emotion was dispassionate.
My Galle internship mates Chitra and Dharmini were captivating in stylish saris. We hadn’t met since our “leus annees de gloire” in the hamlet of Mahamodera. Chitra had become an acclaimed obstetrician and gynaecologist in NewYork. Her talents were perceived early by our chief, Dr Wilfred Perera; she also benefited from my spraining a wrist, which kept me out of the operating theatre.
The chief guest was Professor Nandadasa Kodagoda, who lectured to us about forensic medicine and went on to become Professor and Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and eventually Vice-Chancellor of the Colombo University. He hailed from Hikkaduwa, the town which produced our own Lucky Abey.
The professor
in our
time was the genial, elegant and eloquent H.V.J. Fernando who
succeeded the foundation professor
G.S.W.
De Saram,
a giant
in his
field.
The latter’s most famous case was the Sathasivam murder trial where his evidence was challenged by Sir Sidney Smith who had mentored him in Edinburgh. Kanthi and I were lucky to make the acquaintance of his wife during a long rail journey to Ella. She invited us along with my brother and his wife to high tea at her holiday cottage there. The charm and sophistication of bygone generations arouse a winsome nostalgia.
All good things must come to an end, and we made our tearful farewells, promising to keep in touch and meet again sooner rather than later. I too resolved to engage as much as possible in future reunions.
More of those later.
Note from Speedy.
The first two photos were sent to me by Srianee (Bunter) and the third by Kumar.





Please note that the Blog has a "post category index" on the right hand grey side. This includes a "Reunions" category with (116) showing that there are 116 posts. Just click on this to access reunions and scroll down till you come to the one you are interested in.
ReplyDeleteHello Kumar,
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for bringing back the wonderful memories of our great 1992 reunion in London. I have very fond recollections of that occasion and of meeting so many of our batchmates again after so many years.
I remember being seated at the sumptuous dinner with Ravi Nadaraja and Sisira Ranasinghe. Beyond that, many of the memories have become faint, gradually fading into the mists of time. I do, however, vividly recall Razaque in his Scottish regalia, looking every bit the part in both size and stature. I also remember "Johnny" Chandrasiri and Professor Kodagoda mingling warmly with the crowd.
Although I never had the opportunity to attend the reunions held in Sri Lanka, I have heard they were exceptionally well organised and very well attended.
Reunions remain an important part of our shared culture. They bring us together, renew the bonds forged during those happy days at the faculty, and strengthen the friendships that have endured over the years. While advances in technology have made it much easier to stay in touch, organising and attending reunions has become increasingly challenging as the years pass.
I understand that another reunion is planned for January 2027 in Colombo. Regrettably, I will not be able to attend, but my very best wishes go to the organisers and everyone taking part. I hope it will be yet another memorable and successful gathering.
Warm regards,
ND
Thank you Kumar, for your vivid recollections and descriptions of the 1992 reunion. I remember Razaque’s kilt, but not much else!
ReplyDeleteLike you, this was my first reunion since the ‘great dispersal.’ There had been a reunion in Sri Lanka prior to this one, but I didn’t get a chance to attend that. The years between our graduation in 1967 and the 1992 reunion for me had been filled with the responsibility of work and raising my daughters as a single parent. I had only been in touch with the batch mates who were living in the greater NYC area, as well as the ones I met on my brief visits to Sri Lanka. I allowed my connections with my other batchmates to fizzle out, so this reunion was one that helped me reconnect with many old friends.
I had also made a risky career decision, to leave a steady job in Staten Island, and spend a year working for a Locum Tenens company. I wanted to explore what it would be like to live in a different part of the United States.
At this reunion I met Sisira Ranasinghe and his lovely wife Sarojini, and found out that they were living in Fort Wayne, Indiana. I knew that one of my assignments as a Locum Pathologist was to be at Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis, and it was for about 3 months. We made plans to meet, and a few months after our reunion, I was on their doorstep, ringing their doorbell! I spent a lovely weekend with the two of them, chatting, eating, and checking out a few places in Fort Wayne, which by the way was the hometown of James Dean. At the end of the weekend, when I was getting ready to drive back to Indianapolis, Sisira said “Srianee, you know we spoke to each other this weekend far more that we ever did in the 5 years in Medical College!” The truth is that he was running off to meet Sarojini anytime he was free, and didn’t have much time to chat with his female batchmates.
I also rekindled my friendship with Sue Ratnavale at this reunion. We had spent time together at Ladies’ College, but when she joined us in Colombo she kept a low profile. After graduation we went our separate ways, and once bumped into each other in Colombo, when our vacations coincided. After this reunion, we spoke regularly on the phone, and even managed to visit each other although we were on opposite sides of the continent. I think she really enjoyed visiting me in Connecticut, because she had many childhood friends, who happenned to be my friends. Our conversations covered many topics, including politics, and I often wonder what she would say now, if she were still alive.
After 1992, I promised myself that I would make every effort to attend as many reunions as possible, and so far, I have been lucky to do so.
Mahen, thank you for posting the photos as well.