Sunday, January 7, 2024

Some trimmings from my tonsorial adventures by ND

Some trimmings from my tonsorial adventures

by Dr Nihal D Amerasekera

The human hair grows from cradle to grave. The need to maintain its length existed since the beginning of time. Two statuettes from the Ice age dated 30,000 BC called the Venus of Willendorf and Venus of Brassempouy, show features of hairstyling and braiding. The earliest record reaches back to the bronze age when they used sharp instruments to resize the hair. Hair cutting and styling were well-established in Egypt and Ancient Greece. Barbering evolved further until the Middle Ages when religious clergy took on this work. With the haircutting, they encroached on human surgical procedures and also dentistry, pulling out teeth. Apparently, this shocking practice went on for 6 centuries. As the disastrous results of human surgery became commonplace, news of its tragic consequences reached the Vatican. This barbaric practice was then banned by a Papal decree. Thankfully, barbering and surgery went their separate ways, never to meet again. In the 21st-century hair cutting and styling is a prestigious occupation. Nowadays, it is done with great care and consideration, for which they charge a small ‘fortune’. 

The hairdressing world is renowned for its gloss and glamour. The Salons are mostly unisex. The modern salons and the industry have evolved to care for the lady’s hair which they do with great expertise. With the variety of services available for the ladies that is where the salons make their money. Men’s hair is mostly confined to a haircut. Hence doing men’s hair is just a job that needs doing and is never as lucrative to the Salons. For vanity or sanity, it is the youth of today that keep the barber shops in business. 

With my Christian upbringing, human hair is a reminder of that Biblical story of Samson and Delilah. It was made into an epic film in 1949 by Cecil B DeMille and Paramount Pictures.  I well remember seeing this film in the Regal theatre starring Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr. Samson had immense strength and could kill a lion with his bare hands. The story was that his great strength lay in his long hair. Samson was seduced and betrayed by his lover, Delilah, who got one of her servants to cut his hair while he was asleep. He then lost all his strength. Samson was blinded and imprisoned. Later his hair regrew and regained his strength.  Samson lost his life in the destruction of the temple when he and Delilah were buried beneath the rubble. 

My earliest recollection of a hair cut goes back to the late 1940’s. I was living with my grandparents in Nugegoda which was then a small town. As a 5-year-old, I held on tightly to my grandpa’s hand as he walked me along High-Level Road. I was curious but also unhappy. Grandpa bought me some sweets. The barber shop was a tiny shack with a revolving door. I can still recall the rapid clicking of the barber’s scissors and the sights and smells of that small salon. I was bitten by hordes of bed bugs and returned home itching the back of my thighs which turned into angry red blisters. We never went there again. 

Much of my school years were spent ‘incarcerated’ in the college boarding. In those days school rules were harsh and draconian.  Long hair was taboo. The haircuts were done by a visiting barber. This was performed in the open air on a Wednesday, after school, in the cycle shed. We wrote our names in his book which gave us the ‘batting order’. The barber was a law unto himself. He never asked any questions and cut the hair as he wished. We could recognise his handiwork easily as all the boarders had ‘military’ haircuts showing the scalp that glistened in the sunlight. 

I was a medical student at the Faculty of Medicine, Colombo, in the 1960’s. Money then was tight. The parental monthly remuneration was never enough. In those distant days Punchi Borella was a place for the trainee barbers to perfect their skills. This was performed under the shade of a spreading Banyan tree. There was a generous offer of a free haircut to those who dare. The victim had to hold the mirror himself to see their handiwork. The crows above were a menace. The customers and the barbers were constantly bombarded with their excrement.  Some said, “the crows provided the Brylcreem”. The clicking of the scissors was their sign that action has begun. They hadn’t yet mastered the use of the scissors and the scalpel. If you walk out with your ears intact you’ve done well. Although I was greatly tempted to try my luck to tide over the financial crisis, I didn’t want my hair vandalised. Good sense prevailed, but I remained an occasional spectator of this amazing spectacle. 

During those busy years as a medical student, an elderly betel-chewing barber in Borella came to my rescue with budget haircuts. Always with a mouthful of betel he did not speak much. Despite his silence, he had the ability to radiate friendship and kindness with a broad smile showing off his red-coloured mouth and stained teeth. Squinting through his small circular glasses, he added some elegance to my hair. Sadly, his days ended when he developed mouth cancer when I was in my final year. I felt the shock deeply. The old man’s demise detonated my finances only to be rescued when I received my first pay as a medic. A princely sum of Rs 450. 

Hairdressing is not an easy profession. They have to be psychologists to understand what the client wants. “I want it short” could mean many things. Getting the message wrong can be disastrous to the client and the hairdresser. To my great delight barbers are inveterate talkers. Usually, it’s idle chitchat. When their hands are busy their tongues are hardly ever still. This can get them into serious trouble too. My current barber once worked for an upmarket lady’s hair salon. He did a haircut and colouring for a posh lady with ‘difficult’ coarse black hair. At the end of the process the lady wasn’t happy with the final result. She refused to pay and made an awful lot of noise about it. This angered the hairdresser. He blurted out the well-known aphorism “I’m only a hairdresser, not a magician, so please lower your expectations.” This upset the lady. The hairdresser had to leave his job. 

After I emigrated to the UK I lived in Wood Green in North London. In the 1970’s this was the enclave of Greek Immigrants. I went to the local Greek barber in town. He was a kindly, verbose, elderly man who chatted incessantly about his childhood in Athens. He recalled the hustle and bustle and the good times growing up in that ancient city. The barber had a multitude of medical complaints from pain in his brain to bleeding piles. He asked for my views of the diagnosis and treatment for his diverse conditions. While I tried to make sense of his many health problems, he took good care of my hair. Although I paid full fare for his services, he got his medical advice free of charge. 

For over three decades, I lived in the leafy suburb of Letchworth in Hertfordshire.  In this quaint little town, I went to an Italian barber. He was in his early forties and spoke English with a charming Italian accent. He was a walking encyclopaedia of Roman history.

His detailed descriptions and wonderful narratives brought to life the grandeur and the many tragedies of Roman history. I still recall his stories most fondly. He charged me for the hair cut but the lessons in history were complimentary. 

After retiring from all professional work, I returned to live in London. I have used many barbers in the city. The nearest was an émigré from Hong Kong. After the former British colony went back to Mainland Chinese control some residents were unhappy. My Chinese barber expressed his displeasure about the politics in his country and swivelled the scissors aggressively as he lost his temper. My other barber is an Egyptian who had similar issues about the Middle east and the plight of the Palestinians. A hair cut is a good time for an exchange of views. I have always been a good listener not wanting to upset the barber with my personal views. After all the barber had all the necessary implements to cause serious damage to anyone crossing his path. 

Many hairdressing salons in the UK provide special dispensations for senior citizens. They are offered discounted haircuts. I have made use of this privilege often. On one occasion, I found that my usual hairdressers were busy. I ventured further to find a large salon in a posh part of the city. As I stepped in, I was simply mesmerised by its elegance. This was the crème de la crème of hair salons. The guy who ushered me in said this was a one-stop beauty shop providing cuts, colour and styling, complete with hair and facial massage and also a blow dry. He said the price starts at £100. This was a far cry from my usual £15 no-frills haircut. He showed me the seat where I would be indulged and pampered for an hour. The chair was fit for a Prince. The hairdresser wasn’t surprised to hear from me that I was a pensioner in search of a cheap haircut. He politely ushered me out into the afternoon sunshine. It was much later that I learnt this was a flagship salon frequented by the rich and famous. 

The Covid-19 epidemic hit us all like a tsunami. With the lockdown we were housebound for months. As all human gatherings and meetings were discouraged. Barber shops were closed for business. Many electric shavers, cutters and trimmers were sold on the internet for would-be DIY barbers. There were detailed visual instructions on YouTube how to cut your own hair with an electric hair trimmer. I viewed many of them and bought a machine but lacked the courage to use it on myself. A wrong move can have such ominous consequences!! The task to keep my hair under control fell to my dear wife who did so without much coaxing or complain. I had the traditional short back and sides with a trim at the top, in my garden, under a blue sky and a gentle breeze. 

Hairstyles have played a significant role in men’s fashion, changing and evolving with the passing of time. The side parting and the crew cut of the early 20th century gave way to many variations and to the more recent spiky hair. With all the past trends and modern innovations, we must find the perfect hairstyle that suits us. Unlike for the lucky ladies, for us men hair cutting will always remain a necessity until the end of our lives. After all, when the hair stops growing, nothing ever will matter anymore!! 

23 comments:

  1. For many men hair cutting is a mundane task but for the ladies there is more to it than words can express. We all tend to have our own salons that we frequent and hairdressers well known to us over the years. Hence this becomes a fine opportunity for a chitchat. I'm sure the readers will have their own stories and anecdotes. Please share them with us. As my head has lost much of its hair sadly the time required for a cut is far shorter than it used to be but still there is much conversation of politics, people and problems.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahendra
    Thank you for keeping the blog alive and publishing my contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I regard myself as someone who has a pretty good vocabulary in English and had to revise my belief when I read Nihal’s brilliant literary contribution. I had to refer the dictionary at the very beginning as I had never heard of “tonsorial” before! I now know by referring to wonderful Google that it means the following:- Tonsorial is a fancy word that describes the work of those who give shaves and haircuts. (It can apply more broadly to hairdressers as well.) It derives from the Latin verb tondēre, meaning "to shear, clip, or crop." (Another descendant, tonsor, is an archaic word for a barber.)
    There are a few who believe that the word is derived from “tonsil” as in the days of yore, barbers were surgeons and who better to go to if your tonsils need “expert” removal. Nihal makes reference to this.
    One wonders whether barbers were there in pre-colonial Sri Lanka as the Sinhala term is also barber. Interestingly, there is a different word in Tamil, “Muṭi tiruttupavar”. The more enlightened may correct my statement and come up with a more suitable word in Sinhalese.
    Returning to the historical context, I often wonder whether the origin of cutting hair is related to the growth of a sense of self, or identity. I doubt whether cutting hair helped to lead an easier existence from a biological point of view. Hair styles have become more and more a way of announcing to others your attractiveness, your authority, your intellect, your fashion sense; all directed at displaying to the World, how you would like to be regarded as (not always a reflection of what you really are!).
    My recollections on the subject are mixed. I recall how my mother insisted that boys should have their haircut as close to the scalp as possible because long hair and “styles” promote vanity whereas we should all learn to be humble. She used to send me back to the barber if I returned home with hair longer than a few millimetres! We resented this a lot and it was made even worse as the other boys used to hit us on the head with the words “ado, thatataya!”

    Hair dressing took a very interesting turn when I was at SHO’s quarters in Colombo. I took on the role of hair dresser to those who were brave enough, foolish enough, wise enough, economic enough to display total trust in my totally free barber skills, which were by no means barbaric. I was probably the only barber with an MD!
    Barbers always chatter away with local gossip and I remember a particular one in Nawala who ended his haircut with a scalp massage. The more questions you ask him, the longer the massage while he replied!

    Here in the UK, I go to a no frills cheap salon with special prices for senior citizens, a fact that Nihal has mentioned. To me, a haircut is a necessary evil and I have them as less often as possible. I justwant to look acceptable. I am saddened by the growing numbers of men who appear to be obsessed by their appearance, with complicated hair styles often supplemented by grotesque tatoos… but I am nearly 80 now, what to do you expect!

    I conclude by congratulating Nihal on a wonderfully crafted article which maintains the reader’s interest to the very end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mahen
    Thank you for your welcome contribution which is more than a comment and for the kind review of my effort.
    I too became a barber and also a willing client during my sojourn at the SHO quarters in Colombo, more to save time than money. Our profuse growth of hair covered the occasional tonsorial mistakes. No one saw anything untoward in our hair perhaps because our friends were busy padding their CV's and also saving lives!! It was when we had our lunch together critical comments flowed freely. We never took it seriously as much of what was said was done in jest. How time has flown since those happy days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nihal
    Let me congratulate you on this interesting and well composed article.
    I must admit my vocabulary does not include the word ' tonsorial '
    You have gone down memory lane to highlight the history of haircutting. Well done !
    I noticed that you have had haircuts by so many Nationalities. Great !
    I have seen on TV one man asking the Barber 'Can I pay half the charge as I have only half the amount of hair now'
    He removes his cap and displays that he is partially bald !

    Mahendra
    So you were the only Barber with a MD.
    Great !

    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chira
    Lovely story and thanks for the comment. Please visit the Blog as you do and keep it alive. Your lovely paintings will be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nihal
      Thanks.
      Mahendra has published 130 paintings of mine in our Blog. What more can I paint ?
      Anyway I will try by best to help Mahendra to keep the Blog alive.
      Chira

      Delete
    2. Flowers and plants and their beautiful arrangements are an endless collection available to enthrall us with you wonderful efforts.

      Delete
  7. Good to see you on the blog Chira and I loved your story about the half bald man! When you try to comment it might help if you login to Google first. Just logon to your Gmail account. Then leave it and open the blog and try to comment

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sartorial elegance enhanced by tonsorial craftmanship - we need a tutorial on these and on arborial and piscatorial embelishments but not in an adversorial or dictatorial manner!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you very much Nihal for your excellent article regarding an unusual topic. In 1971 (JVP times) I started growing long hair with side burns. When I sat for the DCH (London) exam in 1972, as I was very confident, I appeared for the exam with long and passed it comfortably. Few months later when I had to sit for the MRCP Part 11 examination , I was less confident and got my long hair trimmed. Ever since then, I have had relatively long hair. In my early 40s, when I was at Ruhuna, I noticed the gradual appearance of grey hair. At present I am almost entirely grey but I am proud to mention that I have never ever died my hair!
    Few years ago when I embarked on an Alaskan cruise, I stopped shaving and few weeks later I had a moustache as well as a beard. Since then I have shaved off my facial hair leaving the sideburns intact. Therfore my sideburns are 52 years old now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sanath
      Its lovely to hear from you and thank you for your positive comments. Your appearance has not changes since I saw you first in the BLOCK in 1962 despite tonsorial changes of a lifetime. Long may it continue. There is of course that professorial dignity that has come with the many achievements. Well done my friend.

      Delete
  10. Sorry for the typo; it is obviously dyed and not died !

    ReplyDelete
  11. The other thing that has struck me is the wide range of fascinating names that barber shops have I wish I took photos when I saw and intersting one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. FROM DHUSHYANTHI VEDVANAM
    Dear Nihal
    I must congratulate you for writing a great article on the evolution of Barbering. I found it so interesting and fascinating.
    You have done so much research and given us a wealth of information on this topic. I treasure this article and all other writings by you on the blog. You are a gifted writer. Reading your masterpieces is like tonic! So beautifully crafted in the English language with some Latin or Greek quotations along the way. You widen our minds and make us think.

    You have so cleverly described the practice of Barbering in Sri Lanka during your youth. It is a vivid picture. Did you do the caricature of yourself? It is an exquisite piece of art.
    I treasure all your articles and contributions to the blog. It is a blog that keeps us sharp and alert. Thanks to Mahen for keeping it alive. It is not an easy task. The blog is a forum that unites us all without any prejudices. I admire the 62 Group for including the spouses of your dear departed colleagues.

    There is so much talent out there and more than anything the support and comradeship within the group is evident and much to be admired.

    I have enjoyed reading the contributions by others as well. Kumar’s poetry corner, Mahen’s musical talent, Chitra’s art work, Srianee’s discussion on various topics of interest, Rohini’s contributions in the past and many more….

    I cannot ever forget Zita’s colossal contribution to uplift us all. She was a pillar of strength to me during the time I underwent three Eye surgeries. She gave me hope and prayed for me. I am so grateful to Zita and she has a special place in my heart. I keep in touch with her daughter Nisha.

    Hope you are keeping well Nihal. Please keep writing.
    I must mention also Pram, who takes so much trouble to organise our get togethers both in UK and Srilanka. She goes out of her way to make us feel warmly welcome. Also to Lama to say he keeps us updated about the happenings in the various medical faculties.
    Mahen. I consider you as a creator! A compliment to you for your hard work , focus and endurance, and let me quote our dear departed Zita who commented
    ‘With Mahendra one never know what he he will come up with next….. act as a Sultan or any other character. I would say he is a creator of sorts with an imaginative mind and a capacity for hard work and endurance. A great encouragement to us all.
    God Bless
    With Very Best Wishes
    Dhushy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dhushy
    Thank you for your lovely comments that made my day. We are so pleased you have remained with our group over the years joining in our Reunions, Blog and WhatsApp Grp. Wish you the very best for the New Year and may you have good health and happiness. Take care and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dhushy, nice to hear from you. I am glad you are staying in touch with all of us, here as well as on the WhatsApp group. I hope all is well with you.

      Delete
  14. Hi Nihal
    I enjoyed reading your well-researched post. I learnt a lot from it and it also evoked many memories. Around 1975 I too lived in Wood Green and remember going to a barber either from mainland Greece or Cyprus. It may well have been the same chap that cut your hair. During my med school days, I used to have very very short hair cuts – crewcuts (50c a cut). This was purely for economic reasons: ie to prolong the intervals between haircuts. When I did my neurosurgical appointment as a medical student, my hair was so short that Darrel Wyman mistook me for one of his post craniotomy patients and nearly ending up having a clinical examination of my cranial nerves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you Bora. Your neurosurgical experience is hilarious. At least you were not mistaken for that convict who was in the ward at the time!

      Delete
    2. Hi Bora
      Thank you for your tonsorial experience in the NSU. In those parts Wearing all white and having the head shaven is hazardous. You should count yourself lucky not to end up kitted and in a trolley to meet Dr Cabraal.
      My Greek barber in Wood Green was on the High Road a few doors away and on the same side as the tube station around 1975/76. I was then a raw green Radiology Registrar at Kings College Hospital learning a new trade.

      Delete
  15. Nihal, I enjoyed your musings about haircutting immensely. Such a mundane topic but you made it so interesting, as usual. I knew that barbering evolved into surgery many years ago, but reading your historical notes and personal experiences was fascinating. I didn't know about the guys giving free haircuts in Punchi Borella!
    When we were kids we had a barber, Simeon, who came to our house down 5th Lane on Saturdays and gave my father and us five kids haircuts in our porch. He was employed by a barbershop near the Galle Road end of what was then Turret Road, but this was his private side gig. When I entered Medical College I found that I couldn't find the time to get to a hairdresser, because we had Saturday lectures. I started growing my hair and wearing a pony tail, which really didn't suit me. Much later I found a lovely barber/hairdresser, who continued cutting my hair as well as that of my daughters for well over 40 years. He belonged to an Italian American family and his father had also been a barber. He loved telling his other clients the story of how he designed an "easy to style" special haircut for me after I bought myself a convertible two-seater - one that was wind proof! Sadly, Joe passed away from metastatic melanoma not too long ago. He was a sports fan and we often spoke about tennis and baseball. I tried to educate him about cricket without much luck. My present hairdresser is completely bald! Although he is a nice guy, is not very sympathetic when I complain about my thinning hair! Yes guys, that is a problem for females too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed your commnrt Srianee. Beinga bald hairdrsser is not that bad considering there are male gynaecologists! I wasn't aware of your transitio from a girl to a pony;I recall in med school as with a pony tail! By the way the term pony tail is so appropriate, isn't it!

      Your Italian American barber reminds me of sp many barbers here whp have Italian connections. Keep commenting!

      Delete
  16. Srianee
    Great to have you on the blog after your journey half way around the world. Thank you for commenting. Punchi Borella has been on my radar since my schooldays at Wesley. I knew every blade of grass over there. Do stay with us on the blog. WE need you here.

    ReplyDelete