Thursday, August 3, 2023

A blend of thoughts of home and life by Nihal D Amerasekera

A blend of thoughts of home and life

By Dr Nihal D Amerasekera

I remember singing the old Scout song “Row row row your boat,” which ends with that thoughtful and deeply philosophical line …… “Life is but a dream”. It didn’t seem so in my youth, but with the passage of years I see the great honesty and candour in that line. 

I schooled at Wesley College in the 1950’s. Baseline road then was a busy narrow road with a steady stream of Morris Minor cabs, red Leyland buses and bullock carts, all competing for position. There were no pavements. People walked on the edge of the road with vehicles whizzing past their toes. The massive complex of the Welikada Prison hogged the landscape. There was a rather lonely road just in front of the school gates that went in the direction of Wanathamulla. It ran by the tall perimeter wall of the Prison. Every morning the prisoners wearing white were taken along this narrow road by the Guards in Khaki shorts armed with batons. Being so close to the prison for over a decade, I had often wondered how life panned out for those in jail. For many of us the prison is a dark and mysterious place for dangerous criminals. Very few knew what happened behind those grim gates that swallowed them. Time then was not a luxury but a burden to endure. None had the benefit of kindness. I just wondered how they faced the world again when they got their freedom. 

My parents drilled into me from a young age that I would have to earn my own living and find my way in life. There was no inheritance to follow. On looking back, that was honest and sensible advice. This encouraged and strengthened my resolve. I worked hard at school and was amply rewarded to be selected to follow a course in medicine in Colombo. Medical education was a hard toil in a harsh environment. Just out of our teens, when my friends were enjoying life, the faculty of medicine became my gilded cage. Textbooks were my pillow at night. I was too aware of the light at the end of the tunnel. A sinister arrogance and an assured sense of entitlement crept into my personality. I dreamed of living happily ever after. It was not long before part of that charm and fantasy began to wear thin. 

In the fullness of time, I stepped on the treadmill to carve myself a career. My first pay as a doctor in the mid-1960’s was Rs 450.00. This seemed like a small fortune at the time. It paid for my ‘extravagant lifestyle’. Within a few months, I saved enough money to buy a Seiko Watch, a symbol of opulence and elegance. It took a few more months saving to buy a radio. These were luxuries during the stifling import restrictions of the 1960’s.  For seven long years I enjoyed immensely working for the Health Service. Professionally I was simply adrift with the wind. What I remember mostly of those years are of the simple and kindly rural folk of the wanni, who were my patients. They were so very grateful for the little I could do to help them. 

Being an only child, it was my desire to live and work in Sri Lanka and care for my parents. By a wicked twist of fortune, the turbulence and trouble in my personal life made me want to leave the country for a new beginning. The prevailing political turmoil and our sagging economy did not give us much faith or hope for the future. Further education and qualification seemed just like an impossible dream. Many professionals dispersed far and wide in search of work and opportunity. After much thought and soul searching, I followed the herd and left the country. From then on, there was the Darwinian struggle of survival of the fittest.  Amidst the fierce competition for the plum jobs, there were the many unwanted prejudices to contend with. Despite all that, life was more stable and predictable. There was a new energy and a joyous appreciation of the status quo. Finally, I found that all-important professional pride and satisfaction. With secure employment, marriage and caring for my family took precedence. I embraced and adored everything parenthood had to offer. Time passed swiftly and relentlessly. 

Inspiration for life comes from various sources.  Although I remain an agnostic, different religions and philosophies, have given me a fine platform for thought.  They have helped me to find a path to tread. This apparent indifference to religion is not due to a reckless lack of respect for values and beliefs.  We all need to be guided by a religion or a philosophy. A personal philosophy may not save the world but will help one to lead a meaningful life. I still remain immensely grateful for my Christian upbringing. 

Retirement has given me time to think about life, its highs, lows, and its vagaries. The idealism of my early years is now long gone.  The emotional climate has grown calmer. Spending a lifetime in medicine has the drawback of allowing hypochondriacal tendencies to surface.  I need some lotions and portions to tidy up my health.  We all learn to deal with these issues effectively. Now is the time to celebrate our achievements and be happy with what we have. 

Sometimes, as the night falls and peace descends on my world, there is a wish to turn back the clock. Those early years spent with my parents and grandparents were a rich gift. Their presence in my thoughts brings me great joy and warmth. Although they have all now left this world their memory remains very much alive. Thoughts of my old school and friends brings me great pleasure. There is also sadness for those departed. At times there is a desire to walk the corridors of my old school and step into those classrooms. On those special evenings I often visit the General Hospital Colombo of the 1960’s where I learnt my trade to see the progress and the regress since those days of long ago. Without that burning ambition and the relentless chase for knowledge, the journey back is nostalgic, fascinating, and a lot of fun. 

I have now lived in England for 50 years. Regent’s Park with its lakes and gardens is a short walk away. My daily walks bring me increasingly closer to nature. The summer sunshine and the winter storms have their own splendour. I have watched the birds migrate and return with the changing seasons, bringing up their young with such tenderness. I listen to the language of the flowers as I walk past the colourful blossoms. It’s a haven for bees and butterflies. Even the squirrels and blackbirds seem to know me now as the man who feeds them peanuts. 

All through my years I have enjoyed reading books.  Now it is too much of a long-term commitment. I wish to be outdoors or to do things in short bursts.  I read the newspapers online and communicate with friends on social media. At this time in my life nothing inspires me more than the calmness of classical music. There is music for every mood and occasion. I have always been mesmerised by the crimson glow of the sunsets that I have witnessed around the world. The combination of the sun, the clouds and their reflection on the water gives the sunset such a magical status. The music composed by Massenet – Meditation from Thaïs, transports me to those pristine sunsets and brings peace to my soul. 

Cricket has cemented my love affair with London. This has been my passion all my life. Watching cricket at Lords brings me great joy. While seated in the ‘home of cricket’ there are times when my mind wanders across the vast swathes of land and oceans to where I spent my childhood. The enchantment of those cricket matches of my youth still haunts me. The fizz and excitement of school cricket was infectious. Singing and chanting, I have watched the game under the “Mara” trees at Campbell Park. The picturesque breezy grounds at St Thomas’ Mt Lavinia was a paradise for spinners. The lush green turf with that quaint pavilion, Royal College have hosted some of the finest games I’ve watched. At St Joseph’s, Darley Road the Gothic columns of the domed chapel provided a fine backdrop for the spectators. While seated on the terraced lawn at St Peter’s Bambalapitiya I could smell the canal and see the smoke from the endlessly spewing chimneys of the Wellawatte Spinning and Weaving mills. These are thoughts and images I have cherished all my life. 

Leaving the country of my birth has left me with many scars and regrets. Losing much of the rich Sri Lankan culture, music and language is often hard to bear. I am now a stranger to the new generation that has grown up in my absence. Even to my family and friends so much has happened to our lives since I left Sri Lanka, it is now impossible to match the closeness we once enjoyed. Above all not being with my parents at their hour of need still brings me great sadness that is hard to console. I have paid a heavy price for my professional ambitions and achievements. 

As I look out of the window on this summer’s day in London, I see the rain beating on the glass panes of my window. I acquired my most vivid childhood memory as a five-year-old, looking through my bedroom window in Bogawantalawa and seeing the monsoon rain transform a road into a river. Although so much has happened in between, time has flown amazingly quickly. I seek the wisdom of that great Roman poet Horace:

… dum loquimur, fugerit invida Aetas: carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero.

(As we speak, envious time is fleeing. Seize the day, putting as little trust as possible in tomorrow.)

17 comments:

  1. Nihal, that was so well crafted and almost a resume of your life! I could feel the emotions you experienced during the key milestones you have described.

    I cannot remember my past in such vivid detail as you do, I think partly because I do not reminisce as often as you. For me , the past is gone, the present is here and the future although unknown, is at least partly within our control by what we do now. This does not mean that the past is unimportant as lessons can be learnt and implemented so that the future may be better as a result. It also provides endless vicarious pleasurable experiences.

    My own professional aspirations from the time I was a Medical Student was to become a Consultant Physician in the Colombo General Hospital. My role model was Dr Wickrema Wijenaike. I had no intention of working abroad permanently and did not accept jobs in Australia, New Zealand, USA and Canada in those mad days in the late 1960s when looking for jobs abroad became the norm. This was at least partly caused by the DOH telling us that they could not guarantee a job after completion of internship.

    I chose Neurology as a career when I was in the Pharmo dept working with that incomparable Gem of a man, Dr NDW Lionel (not Prof those days), as he was doing a clinical trial in JB Pieris’s Ward. JB asked me , “Why not take up Neurology? You will be sent to Kandy and would not have to do the outstation circuit and come to Colombo only when your hairs are grey and you skin is wrinkled!” As I liked Neurology anyway, I took his advice and came to the UK on no pay leave, did my Membership, trained in Neurology and returned and took up the new post of Neurophysician, Kandy General Hospital. I set up the Unit from scratch and when I left 1 year and 3 months later on No-pay leave, the Unit had 26 beds, a SHO, an Out Patient Clinic and a Neurophysiology dept. I was so proud!

    Life can go different ways, and I reached a bifurcation as all of you know, after my marriage to an English girl and made the difficult decision to leave Sri Lanka. I was devastated at first but I always try to put my own life first and a happy union was of utmost importance. Out of my 5 brothers, 4 were in Sri Lanka at the time as well as my sister and I knew that they would look after my ageing parents. Things might have been different if that support was not there, who knows?

    I do have moments when I am saddened that I did not serve my country of birth but I now know that nobody is indispensable. Neurology in Sri Lanka would have benefitted if I did stay behind but looking at the specialty in Sti Lanka now, it has blossomed and I am glad it has.

    We have discussed this before but I still feel some sadness, tinged with some anger too, at people who regard those of us who left for good as deserters. This is so unfair as our lives depend on so many factors and each one of us is unique in the problems they had to deal with. Context is vital in making judgements. To label those who stayed behind as patriots and those who did not as desserters in wrong and unfair.

    Most, if not all, of those of us who left do a lot to help our country of birth in many ways and do not broadcast or boast about what we do. Add to this the help we provide our families and friends because on the whole we are financially stable and able to do so. From a professional point of vew, we are remunerated much better without any need for private practice and our employers really appreciate what we do, a far cry from my brief experience when I worked in Kandy for a short time.

    Let us not forget that we are Human Beings first and as doctors, we do our best for humanity, whereever we are based. Lives cannot be judged by a simple bipolar view such as those who stayed and those who did not. I am also not a determinist and don't believe in Fate in as much as a pre-dtermined life there for all of us. The Future is amenable to change by actions you take now.

    Your story Nihal, is wonderful and as usual your prose and ability to recollect visually is phenomenal. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mahen, I enjoyed reading your 'resume' too. Like you, I don't spend too much time reflecting on the past, although I acknowledge the fact that our past influences who we are, and the actions we take today.
      I read with great interest how Dr. Lionel influenced your decision to take up neurology. You will be happy to know that I am a good friend of his daughter Siromi. Coincidentally, I had lunch with her and another friend two days ago. (They live about an hour and a half from me.) Indrani, her mother was also a good friend, but sadly she passed away several years ago. I am sure you wouldn't mind if I copy and forward your comment about Dr. L to Siromi. I think she would love it.
      You too had to make a heart wrenching decision to leave Sri Lanka. Those decisions were never easy. You should be proud of your achievements in Kandy. (I didn't know until now.)
      I think on our blog we need to share our philosophies (and strategies!) for living a fulfilling retirement life. I know that golf, music and friends play a big role in your life. Some of my friends, who are approaching 80 are still working and seeing patients, but I have reservations about that. I wanted to quit while my friends and colleagues could still say "We miss Srianee" and not "Oooh she missed that easy diagnosis!"

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Stanee. I knew youwould understand. About Neurology, it was JB Pieris who pointed me in that direction , while I was working with NDWL. Of course Dr Lionel encouraged me too. Please do pass on to Siromi. NDWL was one of the nicest men I have ever enountered in my life.

      Delete
    3. Nihal and Speedy, your recollections of your childhood, youth and adult hood made interesting reading.
      Nihal you attention to detail is impressive and no doubt will be be enjoyed by your children and grandchildren.
      Perhaps it's a good idea for all of must Senior Citizens to record our "Memoires" for the benefit of the younger generation/ generations. Our struggles, our successes and failures would be a guiding light and eye opener for them.


      Speedy , I for one never thought that those who returned to
      Sri Lanka to live and work here are patriots and those who chose to live in other countries were traitors it ungrateful to Thier Motherland. Each of us have to make our own decisions and who are we to cast a stone at another?

      When I completed my SR appointment at Kings College Hospital, and obtained my HPT Certificate from the Royal College, I was actually told that if I stay on I would be appointed to a Consultant Post in the King's group in due course. Though the offer was tempting we decided to return home.
      I must say after 42 years I have no regrets.
      Professionally, the unique opportunity I got to set up a unit in a brand new hospital at Jayawardanepura,
      the immensely rewarding
      ( though often heart rending) work treating the injured forces personnel in the 3O year war .. ..we built a helipad in our hospital so that the injured could be air lifted instead of battling heavy road traffic from Ratmalana. (They were air lifted from Jaffna on fixed wing air craft ) ,
      Getting involved in teaching and training Post graduates for over 30 years and serving as Examiner for the MD Anaesthesia exam ... .I could go on and on

      Apart from this Singing with Lylie Godridge, Learning ballroom dancing from Tony Andrado, getting involved in various Social activities such as relief work in war zones, Tsunami Relief work , visiting aRehab centre for women prisoners weekly certainly enriched my life
      Now in my retirement I find immense satisfaction in being a playmate for my grand children, acting as their transport agent for their zillion extracurricular activities, keeps me happy and contented.
      I strongly feel that it's our attitude to life that keeps us contented Accepting illness and disabilities with courage and meeting each day with hope.
      Suri .

      Delete
    4. Suri, I read your recollections of working as an anesthetist at Jayawardanepura hospital with great appreciation for your hard work during the difficult years when you were treating those injured during the long war. Those of us who were living abroad tried to help in ways that we could.
      I know that you are enjoying your life and your close connections with your grandkids now. They are lucky to have you close by and benefit from your role as a grandma/chauffeur, as well as everything else you do for them. I have to say I was very impressed by your driving/navigation skills in the crazy Colombo traffic when I rode with you to visit JC, and later to get my printer repaired. You are also lucky to have that close connection with them. As you know, I had to make transatlantic flights to see my grandkids, but I made those trips every 3 or four months, and did not use my limited vacation days for any other trips. Now they have " flown the coop" but I am hoping that the close connections we made when they were young will remain that way.

      Delete
    5. Hi Suri
      Thanks for your kind comment. I too think writing one's memories is a good thing. This is specially so for those of us living abroad and our children and grandchildren have become multiethnic and multicultural. I have written a very personal account of my own grand and great grand parents and their world and lives. My grandkids seem to enjoy reading. I have made 7 copies fo the book and no more just for my family. Collecting old photos and memories was a fantastic journey into the past which was an eye opener for me too. I came across the tragic effects of the Spanish flu on my family in those distant days.
      Returning to those days at Kings College London brings back many memories of hard work and sleepless nights in an unforgiving world. There was no better place to learn my trade for which I remain ever so grateful. As an SR I moved to University College Hospital with a different ethos which was equally good but far less toxic.

      Delete
  2. Mahen
    Thank you for those kind comments and the appreciation of my thoughts which I have crafted into text in the best way I could. As I read and read again my thoughts I realise as you have so wisely commented, a résumé of my life.
    I do enjoy my visits to the past. It is to remember my time with my parents and grandparents. There are some no go area I never visit. Those doors are shut forever.
    I appreciate your personal recollections and thoughts too. When you worked with NDWL, I was at the Central Blood Bank. Sometimes you came over for a chat with Lubber and myself. I recall the despair we all had about the political situation in the country and also our inability to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
    The ups and downs of life are universal and what has happened is all a part of the awesome force of destiny.
    As I’ve said in those distant days my ambitions were very meagre – to become a DMO somewhere far away. When I applied for DMO post I was told there were too many applicants and they gave me the Blood Bank – a so called dead-end job.
    I do agree with you about our contributions to humanity and also to Sri Lanka. Perhaps the penny has dropped and I do not hear those frivolous comments about our deserting the country anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NIhal, I read your poignant reflections about life then and now with great relish. You have the ability to 'paint' a visual image so skillfully with words. I could just picture you now in Regent's Park feeding the birds and squirrels. Do you wear a bowler hat and carry a walking stick? Just teasing!
    Like you, I have certain images of childhood incidents etched in my memory. I should probably write these down before they fade away, for the benefit of my grandkids who undoubtably will enjoy them.
    I don't think you should be too hard on yourself for not being around to help your parents. We had to make certain heart wrenching decisions based on the circumstances. In the early days of our life away from Sri Lanka it was difficult; no leave, no money, but lots of responsibility. I am sure your parents understood. I remember when a phone call to my mother cost more than $50.00. And half the time was taken by "Can you hear me?!" We had no WhatsApp or emails. I had to rely on aerograms which had limited space. Thankfully, some things have improved with time!
    In my retirement now, I try to make the best use of my time, which sometimes requires taking a nap on an easy chair with my feet up! I try to follow two tenets - Don't give unsolicited advice and don't pass judgement on others. They keep me out of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Srianee
    So lovely to hear from you and thanks for those kind comments.
    Reflecting on the years gone is not all bad. Much of what has happened to us since the time memory can recall is charming, pleasant and beautiful. Those memories are a rich gift. At times there is a tendency to return to those sad events of our lives which have to be positively resisted. I consider the past events to be in archives in different rooms. There are some rooms I never visit and are shut forever. Being an only child my obligations to my parents were huge but my commitment was rather meagre. This does upset me at times. But they were happy for me.
    Regent’s Park is my haven. I visit there every day to meditate, ruminate and be close to nature. I have now exchanged my bowler hat for a flat cap made famous by Jiggs in that famous American cartoon strip “Bringing up father” by Geo Mcmanus. This was ever popular and serialised in the Daily News of the 1950’s.
    Do write down your memories calling it an autobiography or anything else you wish. Your grandkids will enjoy reading this and learn much about your own life and upbringing and also the lives of your parents. I say this because I have done it already in the form of a book and believe it is greatly appreciated.
    I appreciate and acknowledge the wisdom of your final paragraph: Don't give unsolicited advice and don't pass judgement on others. The best advice for retirees who think they have been through it all and also know it all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nihal
    Enjoyed reading your post,brilliantly written as usual,brought back many happy memories.A close relative of ours and friends of the Adihetty family lived near the Welikade Prisons.Having spent so many week ends with them during our childhood,Baseline Road,Campbell Park and the Borella junction were very familiar areas.The "Lingus"/sausages produced in the Borella meat market tasted fantastic, remember watching Brian Classen and later Lou and Vincey playing cricket in the park.
    I used to follow the cartoon in the daily News,Jiggs was fond of corned beef and cabbage,ended up getting painful attacks of Gout.
    I will never forget the thrill of receiving the first salary of 450 rupees as an Intern ,a lot of money in those days,we had to sign on a twenty five cent stamp.
    Mahen I fully agree that most of us who left Sri Lanka help the motherland in different ways without talking too much about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bora
      Thank you for your memories and the kind comment. I remember where the Adhihetty's lives not far from Campbell Park and also in full view of the Entrance to the prison. They had a beautifully maintained garden probably looked after by some prisoners.
      We knew the Adhihetty's from their Galle days. I kept in touch with Lou Adhihetty until he passed away in Switzerland. He was a gentleman in the finest sense of the word and a superb all round sportsman.
      I continue to go to Lords as a Middlesex CC member. The season is nearly at its end .The Ashes brought out the best of test cricket. As there is a lot of cricket being played all over the world and much of it is on TV the attendances at Lords are surprisingly poor.
      Best wishes. ND

      Delete
  6. Hi Nihal
    Agree Lou was a nice guy,remember their beautiful garden and the house with wide corridors,polished floors.Lou was voted schoolboy cricketer of the year in 1955 or 1956.In the neighbourhood was another excellent cricketer, Michael Welle who captained Royal in 1957 and scored a century at the Royal Thomian match.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nihal
    Let me congratulate you on this excellent narration. I have always said that you are a great writer and that you should write books.
    I admire your ability to recollect past memories so vividly and display them in such a manner that the reader is engrossed in the beautifully written words. Well done !
    It made me go back memory lane to my childhood, school days, medical college days etc.
    I too used to listen to music. When I used to study I had music in the background. My favourite was Yohaan Strauss the Blue Danube the best.I enjoyed listening to Yani 's music too.
    Though late I felt I should post a comment as you have always posted encouraging comments on my articles and paintings.
    Wishing you all the best.
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
  8. Chira
    Thank you so much for the lovely comment which I appreciate very much. It is so lovely to see you back on the Blog after a long pause. I just hope life is getting back to some sort of normality with the passage of time. We would love to see those wonderful paintings of natures treasures as you brought them to life with beautiful colours and intricate details. Every dot and dash done with such care for detail.
    Do please return to the Blog and be a part of our community once again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nihal
    Thank you very much for your lovely reply.
    You have suggested that I should do more paintings, Mahendra has published 130 paintings of mine in our Blog. What more can I Paint ?
    I hope to do some knitting as I feel that I should occupy myself with something in my old age.
    I have not deserted the Blog, I will try my best to be part of it.
    Long live our Blog !
    Chira

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chira, you are always welcome to send me more pictures to post. I am sure it will be good for you and help you to occupy your mind as well. You are very talented and we will all appreciate your efforts.

      Delete
    2. Mahendra
      Thank you for the offer to post my pictures. What more can I paint ?
      I am not good at painting sceneries. I hope to do some knitting to occupy myself in my old age.
      All the best !
      Chira

      Delete